El Rey Ruins (Zona Arqueologica El Rey)
Book In Advance

from $220.58
from $109.00
from $79.00
1,485 results
All reviews hotel zone small site self guided tour entry fee crown paradise bring water archaeological site nice place to visit per adult well worth the visit couple of hours lagoon side cancun sign own pace mayan history us dollars iguanas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stopped in El Rey (460 pesos per adult, charged us only $16 for 5 of us though) and it was great to see the small ruins so close to the hotel zone. It is not Tulum, but with kids it is exactly the right size. No crowds, minimal cost and you can climb them here. In and out in an hour. Perfect. We wanted to go to the nearby museum but it only takes pesos which I found a bit odd.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

After having been to Cancun at least six other times and always wondering about El Rey, I finally made a rainy day visit. What a pleasant surprise! This Mayan archeological site, while not as majestic as Tulum or Chichen Itza, gave me a peek into the early beginnings of Cancun. I enjoyed walking down the middle of what I imagine must have been a very industrious Mayan village. The best part was being able to literally walk in and around the remains of the structures. The day I went, I was the only visitor and frankly, I was a bit scared that I was going to run into a crocodile! Luckily, I only spotted lots of iguanas who basically didn't want anything to do with me. After El Rey, I walked back up the boulevard to the Mayan Museum and took in the archeological site, San Miguel. As another reviewer said, there is not much information at El Rey. However, the museum does mention El Rey which helped me put context around the history of both sites. Plus, the museum has many Mayan artifacts which were interesting. If you are staying in Cancun, I highly recommend a visit to El Rey--it's a great opportunity to experience a Mayan archeological site without having to commit to a three hour (or more) bus ride to Tulum or Chichen Itza. Of course those sites are worth a trip but if you don't have much time and want to stay in Cancun--El Rey is worth a visit!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I is conveniently close, but the site itself doesn't provide much information on what is the site about and it's historical importance. The site is small with a lot of Iguanas around.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The best part of visiting an archaelogical site, at least from my perspective is to have the time and quiet to fully appreciate it's design and environment. El Rey, even though located next to Kukulcan Boulevard, right in the middle of the Hotel Zone, is an oasis of peace and quiet. It's lush vegetation, next to the beautiful construction, certainly offer a contrasting image from the hotels right in the horizon.

The site opens from 9 to 17, with the last entry at 16.30 from Tuesday to Sunday. On Sunday the entrance is free for all mexican nationals and foreign residents, on any other day entrance is free for students, everyone else pays 40 MXN.

The only downside is it has no parking space, so the best choice is to leave it on the other end of the Kukulkan Boulevard and cross, or take the bus there.

A beautiful site, well worth the time!

Reviewed June 28, 2013

The best part about this small ruins is the price of about $4us and the many Iguanas that live there.We walk thru the whole place in about 60 minutes and that included stopping to climb ruins and feeding the Iguanas bananas we brought with us.