“A True Gem in Cancun….. Quiet and Relaxing!”

Hotel Casa Turquesa
Ranked #78 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Thornton, Colorado
“A True Gem in Cancun….. Quiet and Relaxing!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We spent considerable time reading reviews on Boutique Hotels in Cancun and settled on Casa Turquesa after such great submitted reviews!
To start with, Missey and the concierge staff were fabulous! From the minute we walked in the front door to the time we waved, (and Hugged!) goodbye, they made sure we had everything we needed and answered the countless questions we came up with!
My wife and I fell in love with the overall comfort, cleanliness, and great accessibility to all the things to do in Cancun and surrounding areas.
Rooms were spacious with easy access to the hotel amenities and especially the beach. We stayed in room 101, ground floor with direct access to the beach! Our room was in very good condition and the daily cleaning service was superb.
No need to leave this secure resort for meals as we were treated with delicious food at the onsite restaurants!
Back to the breakfast food and staff…. you can't miss the excellent service and food served daily at the poolside restaurant. We looked forward daily to seeing Oscar, Angel, Guillermo and Demetrio at Belle Vue for breakfast and our spanish lessons. They were soooo patient with us!
Ernesto, the pool bartender made us comfortable at the pool and beach all day.
Make sure to contact Missey in advance for any excursions you want to do. She set us up with great folks for our entertainment needs!
We plan on returning in November to see all these folk we now consider our close friends!
Don't miss this one!

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor all open to the beach, although you can't exactly see the beach, you have t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Terry E
CasaTurquesa345, Director of Sales at Hotel Casa Turquesa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your great review on your recent stay with us. We are vey happy to read your comments and will pass these onto other management and staff members. We hope to see you back again in November and if we can help you with planning your return trip, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Polish first
Tierra Verde, Florida
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was my second stay at Casa Turquesa and I know it will not be my last! The hotel is so very unique; quiet, calm, wonderful staff, fantastic food. I feel like I am in Mexico by the look and feel of Casa Turquesa. It is like you are in your own special place with the world just outside the front door!

Room Tip: I loved being on the ground floor with no elevators.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Becky C
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us and we delighted that you had a great stay with us and hope that you will come back again soon to your home away from home. If we can help you with planning your return visit, please fee free to contact us!
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The Hotel is nice and Calm with a great location, staff is very lovely and eager to help. Many thanks to Dayana. The room it self was nice, but they need a bit of touch up, but nothing out of the ordinary. Right in front of the beach, great pool also. The hotel is also located near some luxury malls and some restaurants. Would recommend this hotel to people who are not looking for crazy party but instead a vey nice and calm place to relax and spend your vacations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank K1000BT
CasaTurquesa345, Director of Sales at Hotel Casa Turquesa, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review – we appreciate you posting your comments regarding your recent stay with us and have taken note of the point you have raised regarding the rooms. We hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and will return again soon. If we can help you plan your next trip to visit us – please do not hesitate to contact us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2014

What’s good:
Hotel is immaculately clean
Attentive to basic problems (had a minor room problem fixed immediately)
(Mostly) friendly staff
Smaller, more personal hotel
Lovely architectural details and common area in hotel with gorgeous ocean views and cooling breezes

But the bad:
Both hotel restaurants are indoors. I don’t know about you, but I just came from the longest, coldest, and most capricious winter in recent history on the East Coast. I don’t appreciate eating indoors in air conditioned restaurants when the weather is gorgeous. For God’s sake, at least for breakfast when the sun isn’t broiling everything alive – have some tables outdoors for those of us who came here to enjoy the weather, especially those balmy hours in the early morning and late afternoon (there is one outdoor table which I requested my first morning here, and was met with neglect or hostility for rest of my meal - and my stay - with one notable exception). Or shut down the a/c and open the windows.

There’s no chance of coffee before 7am (that’s 9am for you East coast folks) – not talking about breakfast, just that first essential charge of caffeine. And when you do get it, it’s astonishingly bad, even for me, and I’ll drink just about anything. I wound up buying excessively sweet “Andatti café frio” bottled coffee in town, which I don’t particularly like but can choke down, and keeping it in the room fridge for my caffeine fix (despite the hotel’s exhortations not to bring in outside food/drink.

The food isn’t good. Not happy? Too bad. You need to eat in the mall next door (a food court? On vacation? Really?) or get on a bus, taxi or drive to downtown Cancun three times a day. This is all just too much work for a vacation.

Annoying
The one complaint that was mentioned fairly consistently in other reviews – charging for wifi. When I checked in I was told I could “negotiate the cost of wifi.” Newsflash, negotiating costs is not something I expect to do on vacation. Include the cost of the wifi in the room. Take a lesson from the repeated complaints here.

Lack of English with staff. I’m writing this shamefacedly. I speak relatively fluent French for work and usually make the effort to brush up on some rudimentary Spanish – but this trip I was tired and reasoned I’m going to a hotel with an international clientele – I’m not an “ugly American” for expecting English to be understood. But there was both desk staff and waiters who couldn’t understand.

If it’s cool enough to leave balcony doors open to let the waves lull you to sleep at night, your neighbor’s balcony lights will shine directly into your room. Hotel should ask guests to turn lights off when not in use. Streetlights are a problem for me in the large city I live in. Would love to be able to get away from them on vacation.

Supremely annoying

The food looked mostly great, but was a huge disappointment– take the emphasis off making the food look like it came from a three star restaurant and put it into quality. Simple and fresh should be your mantra.

Restaurant smells of stale cooking oil. Ocean breezes might wash that smell away, but won’t because the windows are never opened.

Lovely pool – but very few hours to enjoy it. You need to ask for umbrellas, imposing on the staff. Can’t towels after a certain hour. Just when poolside lounging becomes possible (late afternoon) the bar and lounge area are closed down, towels and cushions taken away.

Suggestions
If you find yourself here in spite of precautions, there’s a shopping center (a small mall, if you will) immediately next door with free wifi and a surprisingly good restaurant called “Tequila Grill.” Try the Aztec specialties – they are simple, fresh, excellent Guacamole is made tableside.

There is a card in the room info book imploring guests to address problems with the staff while they are here. This makes sense. But I’m not going to talk to a desk clerk about the ridiculous hours the pool bar is open, the terrible food, the indifferent-to-hostile wait staff that I don’t want to come on vacation and “negotiate” the price of wifi. These are management issues, not problems for guests to sort out.

People pay me to identify problems and issue recommendations. I’m on vacation. But I’ll give one recommendation without charge: My overall perception is that single largest problem in this hotel is that it appears to be run for the convenience of the staff – not the guests. If Casa Turquesa wants to stay relevant and competitive, they should proactively survey their guests over a representative time period, instead of reactively addressing complaints on trip advisor. What’s important to your guests? Ask them. Coffee at wake up? Outdoor or indoor restaurants? Pool/bar after 5pm? A convenient way to get into town? I’d never dream of making such a recommendation to a large box hotel – what they do (or don’t do) works for their clientele. I will for Casa Turquesa, as they could have something special – a boutique hotel, trying to provide more personalized service to their guests.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank factumpactum
CasaTurquesa345, Director of Sales at Hotel Casa Turquesa, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay with us. We value feedback from our guests to enable us to see what we are doing well and areas where to improve. With that in mind I would like to address various points raised in your review.
We offer dining in air conditioned restaurants for the comfort of many guests. We receive an international mix of guests and many prefer to eat indoors in air conditioning before heading outside to the sun again. We do have tables and chairs available should guests prefer to dine outdoors during breakfast and lunchtimes and I am sorry that you experienced a problem which will be addressed with our restaurant staff.
With regards to no coffee being available before 7am – please note that we offer 24hour room service. We also have a selection of teas available should the coffee not to be to the particular taste of any guest.
I am sorry that you did not find dishes to your liking in the restaurants – we offer an international a la carte menu and if a guest requires something in particular, our chef will do his best to provide this. You will see that we have received many positive comments regarding the food served in both restaurants.
Wifi is available throughout the hotel with an additional charge and this is up to the individual to decide if they wish to purchase this service or not.
The majority of our staff speak basic English and if a guest has a problem with communication, native English speaking staff are available to assist.
With regards to the balcony lights, we will take your comment onboard.
Restaurants are cleaned daily – I am unsure which restaurant you are referring to regarding the smell, however I will raise your comment to our cleaning staff.
Our pool is open from 8am to 8pm and our pool bar from 9am to 5pm. If a guest requires a pool towel after this time then they are available by request at Reception. This is common practice in many hotels.
As you have mentioned we invite guests to address problems during their stay to resolve matters while they are here with us and yet you decided not to do so and and post your comments on Tripadvisor. We did not have the opportunity to address any of your comments/feedback during your stay to rectify matters.
We are glad that you have mentioned some positives to your stay such as cleanliness, resolving room problems promptly and personalised service from our staff and the gorgeous ocean views.
Moncton
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend and it was perfect for some quiet beach/poolside reading and beverages. Had a junior suite with ocean view and it was gorgeous and spotless. Staff was friendly; common areas were beautiful and poolside always had chairs available for lounging. No need to get up early to book a spot! The air conditioning/fan was a little loud and yes, the bedding/headboard is dated, but I slept well so no complaints about that.

There is no free wifi, as others have pointed out, but I was on vacation so it was the last thing I needed. However, there is a huge luxury shopping mall about a minute walk beside the hotel. They have FREE wifi! So if you need your fix, just go to the mall and get your email on.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Bruxelles06
Thank you for your great review and for taking the time to share your comments. We are very happy to read your review and that you had an excellent stay with us. We hope that you will return again soon and please feel free to contact us directly if we can help you with planning your next stay with us.
pasadena
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My bestfriend and i decided to take a vacation to Cancun for my Birthday, So i looked online for some hotels to stay at and read the reviews about Casa Turquesa and everything i read were positive reviews so i decided to stay there. I booked the ocean view room. The minute we arrived at Casa Turquesa we were greeted by "Missey" with open arms. I must say throughout our stay there she made us feel comfortable with helping us with whatever we had requested and went above and beyond..She was very knowledgeable about everything we wanted to do in cancun from restaurants, bars, clubs and most of all the tours and activities. I let her know that my favorite animal is a Camel and she immediately booked us a tour that including a camel ride and snorkeling all in one and after wards booked a nice restaurant for us to go to enjoy the relaxing views of the beach. That is just one of many things she has done for us while we were there. The experience i have had while in cancun i will never forget and it was all due to the help of "Missey". The only reason why i would even come back to cancun would be because of "Missey" and i would stay at Casa Turquesa because the rooms were absolutely amazing and big and the view we had over looking the ocean was breathing to wake up to every morning. I believe taking a trip anywhere you need to have staff that work in the hotels that are knowledgeable, respectful, honest, caring and most of all have a great attitude and "Missey" was all that in one. Again Thank you Casa Turquesa and "Missey" for a trip that we will never forget.

Room Tip: Book a ocean view room you will not regret it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank lilbabycamel
We are delighted to read your review and that you experienced a high level of service from our Concierge, Missey. She is very passionate about assisting our guests and we will be sure to pass on your comments to her. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon. If we can help you with planning your return trip, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Hampstead, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had originally booked a different hotel and changed to Casa Turquesa at the last minute. Wow did make a good decision! From the moment we entered we knew this was a very special place. Immediately greeted by the very professional, courteous, compassionate, caring and unbelievably helpful "Missey" with two nice glasses of papaya or maybe it was guava juice. Regardless, the juice was very good but nothing compared to Missey. In addition, not your typical "check-in" where you walk up to a desk and stand with counter at chest level. We were seated at a nice glass table and felt instantly at ease with Missey directly across from us. After the brief check-in she graciously escorted my wife and I to our room. Even this was far from typical! I made the comment that "I felt like I was at home" and just going up to our bedroom, to which Missey replied "you are at home when staying at Casa Turquesa". Little did we know that this brief 4 night stay was going to evolve into what turned out to be a truly "Life Changing" experience! This was due to the efforts, smiles, helpfulness and attitudes of those who have the pleasure to work at such an absolutely beautiful, quiet hotel...the entire staff!!! From Juan, Guillermo, Ernesto, Oscar, and Adrianna, to Angel, Antonio, Dyana and Francisco (oh that awesome Francisco) and of course Missey we were treated like never before by a hotel staff! Each of these wonderful individuals did something special for my wife and I that was way above and beyond what one would expect from a hotel staff! There are just not enough superlatives available to describe our feelings for them all! How often does one go to a hotel and leave with more than 10 new, good friends...who have impacted the rest of your life! We never wanted to extend our stay at a resort hotel as much as this visit to our friends at Casa Turquesa! Each of these people deserves the best life has to offer and management at Casa Turquesa should be proud to have them on staff, compensate them accordingly and know they are gifts from above! Just off the charts in every way possible!!!! We will definitely stay at Casa Turquesa if ever in Cancun, Mexico and are still on "cloud 9" as we talk about planning our next visit to see our newly acquired amigos! So if you want a life altering experience Casa Turquesa is for you!

Room Tip: Any room above ground level offers and excellent ocean and pool view with a jacuzzi on the balcony!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joseph R
Thank you very much for your great review of your recent stay with us. We value your feedback and will pass on your comments to our staff as we pride ourselves on our personalised service and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed every asect of your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon and if we can be of assistance to enable that, please feel free to contact us.