“Absolutely fantastic - exhilarating and relaxing!”
Review of Tres Rios Ecopark

Tres Rios Ecopark
Ranked #30 of 152 things to do in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: This park, only 30 minutes away from the craziness of Cancun, offers horseback rides along the coast. ** NOTE: To best satisfy the needs and preferences of our visitors Tres Rios Ecopark is now temporarily closed as major improvements are underway, the park will re-open for the 2007 summer season.**
Ballymena, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Absolutely fantastic - exhilarating and relaxing!”
Reviewed November 10, 2005

My wife and I went to Playa del Carmen January 05 and took a taxi to Tres Rios. Didn't really know what to expect, didn't get the all inclusive package, which probably would have been better idea, horse riding, scuba etc. We got the bikes and rode to the beach, great fun, especially as the bikes haven't normal brakes!! They're the old type, pedal backwards. We then canoed up a fresh water river, the water was 3-4m deep and sparkingly clear. As my wife can't swim she was a bit apprehensive of the ocean kayaking (although lifejackets were supplied and advisable for all the activities) but she gave it a go anyway - both knackering and great craic (fun). We paddled through the surf to a magrove swamp, our guide warned us to be quiet as we may see or disturb the gators!! After all the exersion we chilled and lay in the hammocks by the ocean. Lunch was pretty good. As you've paid in for the day you can have several goes at the same things (I'm not sure if this is the same for All Inc extras). We then returned to taxi point by bike, specifically chosing the tandem - soooo difficult, but great fun. Would love to go back some day, especially with kids.We took a camera and locked it in the lockers when not used, but should really have taken the camcorder. It is so peaceful and uncrowded. One of the most beautiful places we've been and definitely one of the highlights of our trip, which also included New York and Las Vegas. Even if you have to travel for a while this wonderful place should not be missed.

32 Thank Davywad

atlanta, GA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Good Combination of Activities and Relaxation”
Reviewed January 14, 2005

My wife and I arrived at Tres Rios shortly ofter it opened on a weekday morning (in December). We were amazed at how uncrowded the park was. The staff was very friendly and attentative. Our "Guide" was Arturo, who was with us most of the day and did an excellent job. We chose the "middle" all-inclusive package and were very pleased. We were there all day and it was the perfect combination of activities (snorkling, canoeing, etc.), lounging, eating and drinking. Our hotel was in Playa and it was a short taxi trip. We have also been to Xcaret, and I would quickly recommend Tres Rios over Xcaret. Tres Rios is a better value, less commercial and less crowded. I will return on our next trip.

39 Thank Atlanta_Tourist
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great place if you like to be active throughout the day”
Reviewed August 24, 2004

I was looking for horseback riding activity for my children, and an agent at the hotel suggested Tres Rios, which I never heard before. I decided on the all-inclusive plan (there are three plans - basic, inclusive, and all-inclusive) because it covered everything at the park including three premium activities - snorkeling, horseback-riding, and speedboat (inclusive plan allows you to choose one out of the three activities, while basic plan only includes free activities.) The free activities include (based on my memory): river swimming, canoe, kayak, paintball, biking. We were not able to cover all the activities (I didn't do paintball.)

The place was not crowded the day we were there (a Wednesday.) We were guided through most of the activities by a couple of very nice people who were with us throughout the day.

If you plan to rest a lot, there are chairs and hammocks to sit around in the shade. Because the place was not crowded, there were plenty of room for everyone.

Some parts of the place was full of mosquitoes (as many places around Cancun.) Just remember to bring along some insect spray, and of course biodegradable sunblock lotion.

The inclusive plans include buffet lunch which was very good, and free drinks. Because my mother went with the basic plan, she paid $15 US dollars extra. I think it's better to pay for the inclusive plan.

45 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
“LOVED IT”
Reviewed June 14, 2004

Tres rios is paradise, We were stayin at the el mandarin hotel next door and we used the amenties of Tres RIos more than the hotel. The Cenote snorkeling is awesome and incredible. The canoe trip is fun but the crystal clear beach is the best part. THe water is clear and blue, the horse rides are really fun and only 30.00 bucks a head.
I recommend this place for the whole family.

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Tres Rios was Awesome!!!”
Reviewed May 27, 2004

My husband and I went to Tres Rios on our stay in Playa del Carmen. The trip to Tres Rios was great. We had the all inclusive package, so when we first got there we rode our bikes to the main area, then kayaked in the ocean, then through mangroves, canoed down a fresh water spring, snorkeled on the reef, snorkeled down a river, went horseback riding down the beach and through the park, and then took out our own speed boat (which my husband drove). Lunch was included and was suprisingly good. Drinks at the bar were also included. Our tour guide was Beto and he was Excellent. If we return to Playa del Carmen we will absolutely return to Tres Rios.

44 Thank A TripAdvisor Member