New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Aquamarina Beach Hotel

Aquamarina Beach Hotel
Ranked #85 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Leicester, United Kingdom
“GIVE IT A BREAK ALL YOU BAD REVIEWERS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Just arrived back to snowy england having spent 2 weeks at this hotel, i read mixed reviews before travelling but have to say most were unfounded.
All the staff were really helpfull friendly and attentive with thanks to Lois, Jose Lois and Pedro fot the ever flowing drinks all aware of our regular tipple within a day of arrival.
The entertaiment staff were on hand for the younger vacators for clubbing and did not take offence if we declined the daily activities.
The foowd was plentiful even for a fussy eater like my husband who always found something edible (try the omelettes at breakfast you will not be dissapointed)
In a couple of words give this Hotel a chance and dont read all the negative reviews.

4 Thank scotland59

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

basic rooms, no fridge, but absolutely spotless, staff so pleasant and helpful, luis who runs the pool bar would spot us and have our drinks poured and ready, the food was always freshly cooked and delicious, would definitely go back...beware at the airport though, we had booked transfer and an airport official told us to come along with him, then proceeded to spend half an hour flogging a day trip, which ended up as a very hard sell for time share!!

1 Thank paula d
North Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

A great choice for the money. Clean, very friendly staff.. even when I had a problem. Food was plentiful and well cooked with a good choice each day. Book tours with Brad Tours across the main road from the hotel, really excellent tour and cheaper than the outfit just outside the hotel. The beach is quite small which doesn't leave much room for sunbathing when others want to play beach volleyball . Would check and not go during 'spring break' next time as it did get much noisier during our second week. would definitely go back.

6 Thank LongGirl
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

IF YOU WANT A RELAXED QUIET HOLIDAY (WITH OPTIONS TO GO PARTYING ELSEWHERE) IN A CLEAN, FRIENDLY PLACE, THIS IS FOR YOU

Having read many of the reviews already posted I have to say I'm shocked. The hotel is not very new, this is true but it is spotlessly clean, family orientated and an absolute pleasure to stay at. The staff were unbelievably helpful and friendly - they decorated our table with balloons, streamers etc and provided wonderful drinks on my friend's birthday night. The rooms are not particularly modern but all have a flat screen TV, 2 double beds an ensuite and a beautiful sea view, and our room was massive. I can't really see why you would need more as personally I don't go on holiday to spend time in my room!

The resort caters for a lot of domestic (I mean Mexican) tourism and is popular with people from across the Americas, which for me was a bonus, I can stay at home and speak to Europeans for nothing.... the food caters for all tastes but there is an excellent selection of some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten, they even gave us our favourite recipe when we left. Big thanks to Francisco - El Capitan - for the catering side of the hotel, a wonderful man, as are all the staff and yes, Jhobani is a very funny young man, made us laugh every day.

Also fantastic were the entertainments staff Thadeo, Williams, Betza & Jose, again nothing was too much trouble and we formed a great friendship which has continued now I'm home. I loved yoga/stretch on the beach and aquaerobics in one of the 3 hotel pools, plus volleyball (I was rubbish....) and the live band on Saturday nights is world class!

The beach is fairly small but beautiful and yes, there is some sea grass in the water but you know what? Its not just a holiday destination folks that complained about it, it is actually first and foremost a natural environment and guess what? Sometimes plants grow! Sea grass is in fact a very important part of marine nature so perhaps be glad you got to see some.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
13 Thank AnnaTallulah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my friend stayed in this hotel for 11 nights in this hotel. We are a a lad and lass in our 20s. We couldn't not have been happier.
We were looking for a cheap holiday and this was the cheapest hotel we could find for the dates we wanted, and were expecting dingy unclean hotel. We were surprised by the size of our room. Huge, with 2 double beds. I don't know how the lady 2 reviews down can say the rooms were small, she must stay in palaces, or she's a snob. We had a beautiful sea view. Spacious shower. The maid cleaned the rooms every day and was very good. A fridge would have been nice, but it didnt matter that there wasnt one. The bar staff very friendly, as we're the restaurant staff, jhaboni made me laugh at breakfast and lunch. Food was also fab, not a huge choice but what was there was very nice.
The entertainment staff were superb, stuff to do all day, we didn't join in everything but really enjoyed volleyball on the beach. If you want to go out and party (like we did) the entertainment staff 'Los amigos', betza, willie, Jose and tadao tell you where the best party is each night. Coco bongo, señor frogs, sweet, dadyos, mandala, the city etc. and they will provide you with wrist bands for queue jump and open bar and reserved tables for a small fee, they also accompany you there with free transport, you do have to make your own way back, but buses are so cheap.
After reading the negative reviews below, I don't know what their problem is. Complaining about stupid things. Yes the beach is small, but the sand in it is lovely. There is some seaweed... But it IS a sea, it's to be expected. Small rooms? Get a life!

Basically if you like clean, friendly service and a good time I can't fault this place. We will definitely return, well done Aquamarina x

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank Nathaniel J
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

just got back from aquamarina i looked on here before i went dont go on a lot of negative reveiws. yes the hotel does need to get fridges and tea/coffee facilities in rooms but the food ,friendly staff and entertainment team betsa and willie especially make up for this .the hotel is spotlessly clean .we are a couple in our late 50's and will be returning to this hotel

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Josephine R
Vidalia, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The room was very small, the bed was hard, the air conditioner didn't cool the room. There was no microwave, refridgerator or coffee pot in the room. There was not even any coffee in the lobby, and had to wait till 7 for the resturant to open. When I asked how I could get coffee earlier, I was told to walk across the street!!! We booked this for our honeymoon through a company called Special-T-Travel. This was an all-inclusive stay, but the food was greasy and old tasting. There weren't any activities to do, but lay by the pool and listen to way too loud techno music. We checked out the next day! I hope I get my money back, but this place is terrible!!!! The only thing I can say is the girl that checked us out was courteous. AS for the value, I wouldn't stay here again IF THEY PAID ME!!!!

Room Tip: Find out how old the building is. Find out if the place you are staying is in the old hotel zone.