“beautiful place, all the staff were courteous and helpful, place very clean”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #21 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 27, 2010

we had a lovely time. There were lots of activities for adults and children. The staff were very helpful. We felt very safe there. The rooms were a very nice size and nicely decorated.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2010

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments! They are very important for us, as they help us to always serve you better.

I'm happy to read you had a great time with us and enjoyed our world-class service. I'm glad you felt safe with us, that is one of our top priorities, to provide our valued guests with a safe & beautiful place to enjoy their well deserved vacation.

I'll be passing your compliments to the staff & hotel management, thanks!

Reviewed September 27, 2010

Diane and I had a very nice time at The Royal Sands in Cancun. It was our first exposure to an Interval International resort that wasn't in the Marriott Family.
You always have to be prepared for the hustle and bustle at the airport, especially when you arrive. The Mexicans are very aggressive, which can be intimidating at times. NOTE: When you get there, go straight out of the airport to the shuttles, don't stop at the various desks along the way. They are all time share solicitors, and want your money.
The resort itself was very nice. We used just the hotel room side of the villa, but it had a small fridge and microwave. There's a nice market at the resort, and the prices are pretty similiar to what you would find outside the resort.
We met some great people at the pool, and there's something to be said for Mexican 'Happy Hours'!! Many drinks are two for one, and the pricing is very good. I have to say we met a lot of great folks at and around the pool.
AND - one night we were able to help in the release of some baby Sea Turtles! The resort gathers the eggs, and on the nights they hatch out, they are released. Talk about a great thing to do. I'll put a photo here with the review.
All in all, we had a very nice time, and managed to be missed by the two tropical storms that went just south of us... 8^)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

I'm glad to read you enjoyed your stay at The Royal Sands. I'm happy that you got to meet new friends and also helped in our Turtle Protection Program. We'd love for you to participate again next time you come to visit!

I hope you return to enjoy the Royal Resorts soon. Until then, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Warm regards from your home in paradise,

Reviewed September 23, 2010

The service at the resort was first rate. We were assigned a personal concierge who was very helpful and assisted us whenever we asked. We were treated more then just "guests" and it seemed the staff went out of their way. There seemed to be a lot of "attention to detail."

There were many complimentary items that other hotels do not offer such as sailboat lessons, use of golf-clubs, snorkels, life-vests, bicycles and a variety of other sports equipment. There were two large pools (much larger then at other hotels we toured) with a swim-up restaurant/bar.

The room we had was clean, A/C very strong-worked well and had a great view. No noise seemed to come into the room from outside.

We went over to the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels. Their properties did not look as good as the Royal Sands. The Ritz property, in fact, seemed to be worn down where as the Royal Sands seemed to be taken much better care of. The pool at the Marriott seemed smaller. The staff treated me rudely at the Ritz-Carlton when they figured out I was there to just look at the property and was not a guest. In fact, the Ritz staff had rudely escorted us out treating us as if we were criminals and we are two educated people from the NYC area. It was obvious we were tourists and they treated us like trouble makers.

I would definately stay at the Royal Sands again as it seems better then most other options and represents a great value. The only criticism I had involves the wi-fi. The wi-fi did not seem to work in the room where as it did work on the balcony, by the pool and in the lobby. The internet was slow and not appropriate for big downloads. This was a very minor issue that did not effect my trip.

The other criticism is in regards to food pricing. All restaurants are somewhat expensive in Cancun. The restaurants on the Royal properties seemed somewhat expensive although they were less expensive then other restaurants at nearby hotels. I understand the restaurants on the Royal properties are competitive with other area restaurants and the food is excellent at the Royal property restaurants...I just wish they offered more budget food items. In the marketplace, they did have a few budget sandwich items like a coffee and sandwich for 45 pesos. I wish they offered more budget sandwich items at the restaurants.

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments! They are very important for us and help us serve you better.

I'm glad to read yet another compliment towards our world-class staff & service; as I've said before, the service & attention we provide to our valued guests is something we take pride in, and we work very hard in order to meet your expectations. I'll be passing your compliments to our staff and the concierge team!

Also, thanks for your feedback regarding the WiFi and restaurant prices. I appreciate the time taken; this is the most effective way we have to improve our services: by listening to what our valued guests ask for. I'll be sending those comments to the hotel management.

I'm glad you had a great time and hope you'll visit us again in the future. Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Until then, warm regards from paradise!

Reviewed September 23, 2010

The property is truly world class, however AVOID their contractor tours and "preferred" restaurants. They promise one thing and then deliver another. For example the Chichen Itza tour (12 hour excursion) with lunch and swimming in a cenote, took us to a high end shopping mall first with well dresses sales people following your every move. If you visit Mexico this is no surprise, however, it shouldn't happen when you are held captive by a parked tour bus. Worse yet, this cut short the advertised attractions; with only 40 minutes at the cenote, we only had 10 minutes to swim, after it took 20 min to change, rent a locker, and hike down 92 steps to the cenote and then back again. Adding insult to injury, those of us who went swimming, we had to listen to a five minute lecture over the bus PA system about being on time.

Then, we followed the "concierge's" recommendation for a fine restaurant, taking the "Royal Sands" bus only to learn it was a one way trip, that because of an "agreement" with the Taxi companies they couldn't take us back, even through their buses arrived every half-hour. Talk about embarrassing, we were told to get off the bus in front of everyone. The driver explained he could pick up at the Royal Sands, but he couldn't drop off (to be fair, we could wait two hours, until 10 PM and the manager was more than happy to reseat us in the bar to wait, imagine that!) When we complained to the restaurant and the Royal Sands front desk, we were told we should have read the sign outside the hotel, which clearly listed the schedule. Okay, point taken, but why didn't the concierge say something, oh that's right, they have an "agreement" with the Taxi companies. In short, the excursions and off property restaurant recommendations are nothing short of a "bait and switch" operation, where they can say it is "out of their control."

THIS IS NOT A REASON TO AVOID THIS AMAZING FACILITY, JUST DON'T TRUST THEIR CONCIERGE SERVICES, YOU ARE MUCH BETTER OFF WORKING DIRECTLY WITH THE VENDORS.

There are many amazing properties here in Cancun and I suggest you check them out before booking your tip, but If you MUST use the Royal Sands Concierge services, READ THE FINE PRINT.

1  Thank sbPhoenix
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm sorry to read about the bad experience you had with the concierge services. It is our top priority to provide a service that meets our guest's expectations, and when this is not the case, we take the steps required to find out what happened. I'll be sending you a private message asking for more details about your stay in order to follow this through.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

Reviewed September 23, 2010

When you arrive at the airport there are road signs "Welcome to paradise" then you arrive at Royal Sands and you have arrived in Paradise. We are well travelled and can say that this is the best resort we have been in as far as beach, sea, resort and service quality. The resort is spotless with a great location.

FACTS

If you are a brit then take pesos, no need for USD plus you get more value for the peso.
We used cancun express for return transfer (45 USD booked online)
Food and drink prices are reasonable locally and on resort. Happy hour at pool bar is between 3 and 7pm. Beer £1 a can at happy hour/half price.
Buses run 24hrs at 50p one way anywhere on strip or downtown but drivers are mad mental. Taxis are everywhere, They will take 6 in a cab!! for 5usd or 70 pesos.

The resort operate a system where everything is charged to your room card and you settle your bill when you check out. This is good because you can use whatever pesos you have left towards your bill and pay the rest on your credit card so you dont end up going home with exces pesos. There are 2 phases, one is the main pool and reception area and 2 has its own pool area. It doesn't matter where they put you as its only minutes to walk to each. We were moved to an oceanfront apartment for our second week and it was amazing and had been refurbished - request one and you might get it.

Cannot fault the resort, staff were fantastic, can't do enough for you, our concierge Luigi took care of us and did not hound us as other reviews have indicated so well done Luigi you have got the balance right. Be aware that you will have to pay 650 pesos each at the airport when you depart, ome sort of exit tax.

Don't hesitate, book this resort and you will not regret it, 5 star paradise. Thank you to Royal Sands for giving us a Royal vacation.

Kevin and Karen
Scotland

2  Thank KevinGS

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very glad to read you had such a great time at The Royal Sands. We take pride in our staff & the service we provide to our valued guests; this is something we work very hard to achieve, and I'm happy to read that we are meeting your expectations.

I'll be sure to pass on your compliments to the concierge team, so they can congratulate Luigi as he deserves.

Thanks for contributing with some good tips to other fellow guests!

Until next time, please let me know if theres anything I can help you with.

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Service was fantastic. Food was great at the restaurant and pool bar. My friends and I visited the other Royal Resorts and this one was the best by far. The pool is fantastic... I miss it!

The only negative thing I'd say is that the resort needs to invest in better mattresses! They were not very comfortable and the pillows weren't great either. Otherwise a fabulous place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank kdcjsc
RR_Community_Manager, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2010

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

Thank you for your comments! We value each and every one of them as they help us to serve you better.

I'm glad that you had a great time and enjoyed our pool, we miss you already too!

I'll be passing your comments about the mattresses & pillows to management, and will get back to you in a private message as soon as I have a reply.

Reviewed September 22, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a weeks visit to the Royal Sands Cancun. The resort was wonderful! Our view off the balcony was spectacular, sat there every morning drinking coffee and just watching the surf. Everywhere that you looked around the resort was extremely clean, the staff was constantly cleaning. The whole staff was so friendly, especially our concierge Santino. He would check with us daily and give us suggestions on restaurants and attractions.
This is a timeshare resort, so they will invite you to some activities. We attended the cocktail party and the mariachi party. At the cocktail party they did talk about their new resort, but there was no pressured sales pitch. The mariachi party was just a party with free drinks. If you want to go see "The Haciendas" for the day, you will get breakfast or lunch with your hostess (salesperson) & this is the only time you will get the sales pitch. If you chose to do none of these activities, they won't hound you.
I would highly recommend this resort. I would like to return again and bring my daughters. They would love it!

Dear Royal Resorts Valued Guest:

I'm very happy to read that you had such a good time with us, at your home away from home. Thanks for the compliments for your concierge, Santino; I'll be sending them to his supervisor so they can congratulate him on a job well done.

Feel free to return with your daughters anytime, I'm sure they'll have a great time too!