“Nice place, Nice people, Nice prices”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #18 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 21, 2007

I have nothing but positives to say about it. We rented a lock-out.

The people who stay here are nice and friendly. I think the fact that people have an onwership commitment here shows. I have stayed at hotels before and sometimes people are too quiet and private and distant.

The Royal Sands atmosphere was perfect. Calm, friendly, but not over the top. It's nice to see familes around, and people of all ages including seniors. Great people here.

The pools are awesome, the beach is great, the waves perfect. The location is good. The service was great.

The best thing about it is the fair prices. Hotels would charge double for food & beverage. Obviously, the owners here don't like to gauge themselves!! and good for that!! Prices were fair and exactly at the value of the item or food purchased.

The resort has a grocery store too, travel agent, car rental.

All around great.....except for the American sports bar, ha ha....isn't that the kind of bar we all went to Mexico to get a break from? They should turn that place into another theme.

All around great place and envrionment.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank shortc

Reviewed February 18, 2007

We spent two weeks at the Royal Sands. The resort and villas are very spacious. We enjoyed eating breakfast on the terrace overlooking the ocean. Every single employee we came in contact with was wonderful and provided us with excellent service. The cleanliness of the resort impressed us a lot. They really pay attention to detail. I saw employees cleaning vents, railings, signs, trimming plants etc. The food at the Veranda was delicious but our best meal was at the Hacienda Sisal. The mariachi band at the Sisal was very entertaining. This is a good resort for families or those who don't want a party atmosphere. Overall it is a great place to vacation.

• Stayed: February 2007
8  Thank 2H4
Reviewed February 8, 2007

5 star very well run timeshare. Accommodations spotless with all the conviences. The heated pool is huge and warm with 2 swim up bars and a very long lap pool. The ocean along this section of hotels/timeshares is very rough. However, at the Sands, it is generally a little calmer. Several days had a yellow caution flag rather than the usual red, do not swim flag. If you like calm Caribbean ocean with clear water and visible fish, do not go to this section of Cancun. Also, you are assigned a personal concierage who is friendly and tries to accomae and help. The real motivation here is to sell you a timeshare. My wife and I went to see their new property in Riviera Maya. When we told them we were going for the day they treated us to transportation. When we got there we doscovered they had lunch planned. The whole presentation thing took 2 hours. Bascially, they wanted us to buy before we even could try their pools and ocean and get an idea of what the resort was like. This really cut into our time there. It was very nice, more laid back, with calm water. But very serious developement in this area will take place very soon, and I suspect it will be congested. Just realize if you just want to spend the day there you can use your Royal charge card for all expenses. If you are not interested in a timeshare, I suggest spending the $30 for transportation for 2 and buying your own lunch. It was very delicious however.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank kod
Reviewed January 27, 2007

We stayed at the Sands from the 23rd of Dec to the 7th of Jan/07. We had by far one of the best vacations of our lives. There were 6 in our party including a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old. The kids had a great time in the pool, painting at the activity desk, and entertaining the other guests.
The service was outstanding from the time we checked in (we arrrived at 3 am), to the laundry, the maids, the restauraunts and everything inbetween.
You could never walk anywhere without being greeted with a friendly Hola! Not once were we pressured to attend a "presentation"
The villas were fabulous. Clean, spacious, comfortable. Everything you could ask for.

The beach was great for relaxing (never has an issue finding a place to sit), building castles, or just going for a walk.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Sands to anyone, or the Royal chain in general.

We are counting down the days until we can return.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank zan75
Reviewed January 20, 2007

My wife and I exchanged our timeshare to visit Cancun for the first time. My son flew in two days later and spent the rest of the week with us. I have nothing but praise for this place. Super clean, staff extremely friendly (Salma was a great concierge), facilities exceptional (pool, bars, restaurants, shops etc...) and what a nice beach (with bar service, if you so choose)!!!

Located in the hotel district, you have easy access to the party district and downtown Cancun, both within a $0.65 bus ride. You also have access to all the other Royal Resorts, which all looked to be first class as well.

The Mayan Ruins are a must as is Xel-Ha. I am sure the other activities are equally as good and we plan on doing those the next time we visit.

It is great place to kick back and relax...everything you need is right there. They had a few activities throughout the week that were short and fun. The grounds are meticulously well cared for and you will never see any garbage or trash or cigarette butts anywhere.

The rooms are outstanding, spacious and comfortable. The balconies are great for sitting and having coffee in the morning or having that late nightcap before retiring. One caution, the efficiencies do not have a very nice balcony...you can basically stand out there, so get a 1 or 2 bedroom suite. Every room has an oceanview and overlooks the pool areas (except the ocean front suites which look directly out over the ocean, OK, I know it is the Caribbean Sea). The suites are very well planned and the layout affords every room a great view. We were on the sixth floor, the views may not be as nice on the ground and lower floors. But even then, don't let that ruin your stay, you will still enjoy it.

The pool bar had great sandwiches, chips and dip and margaritas. The restaurant was very good, the spots bar fun (kareoke), and do get a pizza delivered to your room. The staff are friendly and make you feel at home. You will always get a "Hola" from everyone.

Don't pass up an opportunity to stay here...DO IT!!!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
21  Thank chiller56
Reviewed January 10, 2007

My spouse and our 3 children (ages 5, 7 and 10) just returned from a great week at the Royal Sands. I was very nervous prior to our trip. We had never stayed at a timeshare property before. I found the Royal Sands through Trip Advisor only...I did not known anyone personally who stayed there before. I read each review over and over and kept thinking to myself...no place can be that great or someone I know would have heard of it. Plus, we are very spoiled. If we are going away for a night or a weekend, I generally look for a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carleton. We took a chance and all I can say is....it really is that great!

Just as everyone says, it is immaculate. They employees are all wonderful. They really do clean every part of the resort continuously. The gardens are beautiful! The rooms are clean, spacious and very nice.

We stayed in a full villa. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms and three TV's really made for an incredibly relaxing vacation with 3 children! As per all of the postings before mine, the food at the resort was very good. We took advantage of the shuttles that run between this property and the other Royal Resorts in Cancun. This allowed us to try out different restaurants with out carrying any cash (you can charge anything at any of the Royal Resorts using your room key). The Royal Sands is also located a short cab ride away from La Isla which is an adorable indoor/ourdoor shopping center. I hear that the aquarium there is great, but we didn't save enough time to see it (next time!).

We were lucky enough to get a ground floor villa. I didn't know in advance how great that is. The ground floor villa's have patios that open up to small grassy areas (that my kids kept referring to as the "back yard") which gave them a little area to run around. Beyond the grass it is about 5 or 6 steps down to the pool area. It was as if the pool were in our own backyard. When we needed something, we could just pop into the room. No elevators needed!

A few hints that I have not seen listed here:

The coffee shop - Royal Roasters - is excellent. We had fresh coffee and pastries every morning.

The resort is has two phases, each with its own pool. Phase I is always very busy. Activities such as Bingo, water volley ball and the welcome party that the resort offers each week all take place at phase I. Phase II, which is just a short walk, has a larger kids pool and it is generally quieter. We stayed in Phase II because we like the quiet but we still had easy access to all of the activities.

Each guest group is assigned a personal concierge at check in. The concierge knows the area and the resort and is basically available to you anytime you have a question. They check in with you everyday just to make sure that you are having a good time. Our concierge (Erika) was so sweet and very helpful.

Unlike some of the stories I have read about other resorts, there was very little timeshare pressure. Our sales person contacted us and asked us if she could treat us to breakfast to discuss the possibility of buying. We agreed because we are somewhat interested, I think that if we had said "no thank you" at that point, that would have been the end. She followed up with us only once and did not pressure us at all. We did not buy and received no additional pressure whatsoever.

If you are interested in this resort, I suggest checking out their website:[----]. It is very informative.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
24  Thank sgeim
Reviewed November 29, 2006

We just returned back from Cancun a couple of weeks ago and from the moment we arrived I can tell you I didn't want to leave. The weather was warm even though it rained 1/2 our trip, it was sunny the other 1/2. and It didn't matter the room and beach were great.

We traded our two bedroom Marriott timeshare for a two bedroom villa here. I think it is a fair trade, each hotel service has it benefits (Marriott & Royal) and I would own at either and perhaps both.

Although I would probably rate the Marriott rooms a little more plush the service at the Royals is hard to beat. The Royals provide you with great personal service. We went to Cancun last year with the family and returned this year with friends. At this point I am convinced that I could return on an annual basis and extend our one week trip to two.

This year we jet ski'd, took a day trip to Telum & Xelha as well as did the Jungle Tour. The jet ski excursion was fun it was probably a 3-4 hour day trip and was approx $65-70 pp. included some snorkeling and was a good value. It was on the lagoon side and you had to jet ski in a line with a group so if you had someone slow in front of you if was a bit frustrating. But all and all a good time. Next time we would like to try the beach side.

The Talum/ Xelsha was a good time but a long day. You travel 1.5- 2 hours each way with traffic. (Yes Cancun has traffic and quite a lot during rush hour) This was an interest ng tour that allow you to see the ruins as well another beautiful beach. From there we ventured onto Xelha which is an outdoor waterpark. We purchased the all-inclusive package which includes all food in the park and drinks (alcohol included). I think this excursion pp for the whole day was about $125 pp and I would do it again, but FYI it is 7AM-7PM committment.

Our last excursion was the Jungle Tour. It was our favorite, it was very active, interesting & different. Although again it was a 7AM-7PM day. After to jouney to the destination our tour starts with a kayak ride to a snorkeling destination to one of the largest corel riefs in the area. It was great. After snorkeling for an hour or so you kayak back to the mainland for a snack of fresh fruit, yogurt and granola. Then you aboard a Hummer type vehicle to the next destination. The ride is a bit bumpy but fun. At your next destination you snorkel in two different caves which are intestingly intriguing. Both are fresh water and and clear as the drinking water from your kitchen faucet. Both my husand and I would do this tour again.

The Spa was great and had fabulous packages in November. 5, 50 minute treatments for $299. They allowed you to share the package with another person.

I hope you enjoy the Royal Sands as much as we did and do. We will definately be back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends