“Exceeds our expectations in economic downturn”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Texas
“Exceeds our expectations in economic downturn”
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Personal disclaimer: I am a Royal Sands time share owner.
That being said, I am also in the restaurant/hotel business and have a critical eye when it comes to this business. I reviewed several trip advisor comments before our most recent trip and found most reassuring, however, I was concerned when I read the post from "Crazy Traveling Texan" concerning the poor beach conditions, and the rough hospitality from the personel. Most of all, I was concerned about the beach, which is what we go there for.
The "Crazy Texan" has grossly overstated the beach condition. True, the beach after Wilma is not as expansive and as deep-it had been picture perfect, but it was not full of rocks either. There is a sufficient area free of rocks where body surfing is completely safe and enjoyable. There are beach personel there to insure that swimmers do not go astray.
Our first encounter with the Royal Sands was on a vacation while staying at the Ritz Carlton (next door). The villas are self sufficient and very complete-especially for those wishing to dine in. It is not to be compared to a luxury hotel however, and it is owner oriented, which is to say, a higher level personal responsibility is expected of the guest and members. In short, it is not for "spring breakers". Our children now 18 and 19, accompanied us as usual. They connected with many kids their age and no doubt have expanded their facebook contacts. Having a place where your children want to vacation with you, is an added benefit which I did not consider years ago, but now appreciate.
When we purchased our time share about 10 years ago, our salesman pointed out the company was founded by former Marines. I took this to be a good thing. The management is cordial, professional, and consistantly helpful.
One of the best things about the Royal Sands is it's close proximity to truely fine restaurants-Harry's and Puerto Madera to name two. We did venture to another major hotel for lunch and found the huge and very beautiful facility deserted, and the food and service was the worst I have experienced in Cancun. The Royal Sands, even in hard times is consistently a good value and the food, while not stellar, more than fills the bill for what it is.

On a personal note, as a Texan from Fort Worth originally, I did not recognize this Crazy person to be a Texan. Just crazy.

• Liked — Convenience, friendliness and location
  • Disliked — Organized pool events are noisy and somewhat obnoxious
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,167)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Denver
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I went with my boyfriend and his family, who have a timeshare at the Royal Sands. It exceeded my expectations by a milestone. The service was amazing, everyone was SO nice and accommodating. Everyone on staff says "hola" to you as you walk by, they are so friendly! The room had more than enough space, including a full kitchen and enough beds to sleep 8, though I think you can only have 6 to a room. Every room has a view of the ocean, it is breathtaking really. The amenities were fabulous. The rooms are kept cool, the housekeeping staff is great, and one of the coolest things is that there is a little super market right in the resort!! The location was great, really close to a lot of good restaurants, the market (SO fun!!), and of course, right on the beach. There is an area where you can't swim due to rocks, but there are plenty of other places to enjoy being in the water. I have never been to a nicer hotel/resort and it was by far my favorite vacation ever. If you are thinking about visiting Cancun and/or the Sands, I would say do it! You will NOT regret it for an instant!

• Stayed June 2009
Provo, Utah
Reviewed June 9, 2009

This was my 5th Trip to the Hotel Zone in Cancun. We have stayed at the other Royal Resorts (Royal Islander, Royal Caribbean) and love going. Since the Royal Sands is the newest in Cancun of the Royals (and has the spa) I wanted to stay here. We got a 2 bedroom villa ocean front for 1 week at the Royal Sands for $1400 through RedWeek.com. I am glad we did.

I am not going to go in to how great the service, cleanliness or food is – just read all the great reviews. What I am going to share is the BEACH. Because of Wilma in 05 it is virtually gone EXCEPT at the ROYAL SANDS. We went back over to the other Royals, you can’t even get in the ocean because of all the rocks. However at the Sands they have a GREAT area that you can swim, our 4 kids LOVED it.

If you don’t plan on going in the water, then ANY of the Royal Resorts are great. However if you do want to swim in the ocean (or at least not slip on a rock) then it’s the Royal Sands.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We purchased our time share at the Royal Sands and have been staying there every year since the resort opened. It is by far the best of the Cancun Royal resorts. Our unit is both the lockout and the villa. The views are gorgeous, the staff are amazing, and you can't bet the location. If you are lucky enough to get a villa on the shortest side of the U-shaped resort you have the blessing of seeing the sunset over the lagoon from your front door and the sunrise over the Caribbean from your patio. I have a fifty year ownership and I'm sure I will continue to go back again and again!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank NoLkao
Boston
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Just returned from 1 week at the Royal Sands. We traded our timeshare for a week here through II. Sight unseen we were pleasantly surprised. We had an ocean facing 1 bedroom. Though the room was nothing spectacular - it was clean and spacious. The best part was the large balcony and incredible ocean view - wouldn't have had it any other way. We spent all week on the beach- plenty available huts due to flu scare. The resort was not crowded - they stated about 40% capacity.. usually 85%. Only ate lunch in the restaurant… food was good not great. For a timeshare trade I would recommend. Staff was very nice and accommodating.. my only complaint was the person concierge. She was very persistent on trying to get us to meet with the sales guy about their resorts. Multiple times we said “no” and it continued. She called us very early one morning to see if we were attending an introduction meeting we had told her we would likely not attend. I can appreciate trying one time to get us to sit through their sales pitch- but after receiving a “no thanks”… move on! This was my only complaint of the week. Otherwise we kept to ourselves – relaxing and reading on the beach. Did use the spa for a couples massage – nice facilities and good services..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lj51057
FTW, TX
Reviewed May 12, 2009

I was so disappointed with our stay despite all the wonderful reviews. We found this resort to be overcrowded, loud, and money hungry. Everytime you turned around, someone wanted another tip and wanted to sell you something else.

Beach was un-smimmable with big rocks so you were forced to hang out at the pool. Pool staff was less than responsive considering they have a single waiter trying to serve 200+ people. You are so close to your neighbors at the pool, their kids are practically screaming in your ear and kicking your bags (no personal space).

Food was extremely overpriced and drinks were also ($7 for a shot of cheap tequila!?!)

Room was disappointing because our key card had a mind of it's own and never worked. Front desk Mgmt refused to fix it and were very rude. Bare bones, nothing fancy, old school TV and outdated decor.

By the way, this resort is a towel Nazi. They will not give you any extra towels for your room; and the they will call like psychos if you don't turn in your pool towels the night before you leave!!

The timeshare people will call you every morning at 8AM to try to get you to come to one of their "parties". We avoided them the whole time, maybe that's why they were so rude at checkout?

I will never again return. This is not my idea of a vacation. We tried Club International one afternoon and really like it; it may be more our style. I think some of the reviews are exaggerated because they are owners and don't want their investment to decrease in value. As for me (12th time in Cancun), I will NEVER return to this big mega-resort nightmare!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CrazyTravelingTexan
RoyalResortsManager, Communication Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
We are sorry that this reviewer did not enjoy his/her recent stay at The Royal Sands. The satisfaction of all our guests is of the utmost importance and we want them to have a wonderful stay at the resort. However, there are a couple of points in the review that we would like to comment upon.
With regard to the comments about $7 tequilas at the Pool Bar, a single shot of standard tequila or a margarita cocktail made with the same tequila currently costs $65 pesos or $5.20 US taking into account the exchange rate. During Happy Hour, these two drinks would be half that price.
We focus on serving quality food in a pleasant setting at the resort restaurants and endeavor to keep prices lower than at similar restaurants outside the resort.
In keeping with the other Royal Resorts, The Royal Sands has a number of eco friendly policies to save water and electricity and reduce the use of detergents. We invite guests to join our campaign to protect the environment by not changing their towels every day. This is voluntary and guests who request additional towels or a daily towel change always receive them. If guests decide to participate, they hang their towels up and if they would like them changed they put them on the side of the bathtub for the maid to collect every day. There is a sign in the villa bathroom which informs guests about the campaign. Similarly, guests are entitled to one beach towel per person, per day and they should return their towels to the towel desk before they are due to leave the resort.
We also encourage guests to participate in our recycling program by separating plastic, glass, aluminum and cardboard trash in their villas. This waste is subsequently collected by a local conservation NGO which sells it to a recycling company and is able to earn money to fund important environmental protection and research projects in the Mexican Caribbean.
Each villa has a Personal Concierge who is on call to assist guests with reservations and information during their stay and will also invite them to several complimentary social events during the week. If guests decide not to contact their Concierge or attend the parties, their privacy is respected and they are treated with the same courtesy as guests who do attend.
Cleveland
Reviewed May 10, 2009

My family always stays at the sands. First class all the way. The staff is always there to help if you need anything. Location is perfect, because its away from the downtown mess, and you feel really safe. Cant say enough about this place. Dont stay at those all inclusive where you have to wait in line in the morning to get a voucher. Cancun has great restaurants to go to. Avoid food at Senior Frogs!!!!!!!!! but fun atmosphere. The Sands is great for families and adults. Not a spring breaker paradise though.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family