The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
$495
$328
Agoda.com
5,135 results
All reviewsla verandahacienda sisalchar hutcaptain's covephase iitime sharethomas moorepersonal conciergewelcome partysports barroyal mayanfull kitchenroom keytimeshare ownersall inclusive optionwelcome homebedroom villa
Reviewed November 7, 2008

in a few words: thanks to the Royal Sands I enjoyed the best holidays in many years :-)
the service was just great and the staff amazingly friendly. The apartments are nicely equiped and can easily host 4 people (6 provided you get a full apartment, i.e. wo lock-off option).

Everything is so clean and the staff will service the apartments every day (except for Sunday).

The inside store (called market place) has acceptable rates though you may want to go shopping in Cancun (a 20 minutes ride by bus for 6.50 Pesos, approx. 50 cents). There are a few shopping centres including a Wall-Mart where prices are just really not expensive.

Cancun has a lot to offer, especially if you are ready to travel a bit. Of course you may want to visit Chichen Itza and Tulum (I can only recommend the beach there... just amazing to enjoy the ociean with Mayan monuments in the background) but visiting Coba is a unique experience. This is both due to the fact that it is not as touristic as Chichen Itza and that is is really in the jungle. You can reach all these location with comfortable ADO buses for 10 to 20 US$ or chose the more expensive and less flexible option of packages that you may buy at many places, including the Royal Sands of course.

Hiring a vehicule will probably make it possible to visit Tulum and Coba in one day (you need 3 to 4 hours for Coba and about an hour max for Tulum).

Well there are many possibilities but you may just enjoy the beach at the Royal Sands and take advantage of the many activities they provide. By the way though there are also some rocks on the beach I found the Royal Sands beach much more enjoyable than what many hotels located in the area have to offer.

Just a word about restaurants. Of course you may enjoy the many restaurants located in the hotel zone but if you really want to try mexican food Market 28 is a good address. You will enjoy local food including beverage for 5 US$ a person. I personally do not think Market 28 has many good deals to offer except for the food but it is certainly one place you should visit while staying in Cancun. It is easily reachable by bus (take the R2 at the bus stop close to the Royal Sands). The bus drivers usually make an announcement when the reach the bus stop close to Market 28.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
6  Thank ErickW
Reviewed November 2, 2008

We stayed at the Royal Sands from 10/25-11/1 and had a fantasticly relaxing time!

We traded our Disney Vacation Club in order to stay at the Sands and it was well worth the trade!

I am going to just hit on a few "of note" things and not do a true review.

This was probably the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in. It showed every day as I saw workers dusting off the railings, mopping, replacing grout on the pool deck, cleaning the brass, etc....

Every person that we encountered at the Royal Sands was friendly. What I really liked about this resort was that the people staying there actually took the time to talk to you and get to know you. Much different than Disney.

Our villa was very nice. One thing that I would recommend is that if you don't like cold feet take a pair of slippers or warm socks becuase the floor gets cold with the air conditioner on!

Our refrigerator did break down on us on our first day and we lost 2 1/2 gallons of milk because of it. However, with that being said I made the call to maintenance and within 5 minutes they were at our door and 10 minutes after that we had a new refrigerator.

Only on Friday did we have to fight for a chair. We ended up getting a perfect spot right next to the kids pool in Phase 2. It was perfect to keep an eye on my 5 year old.

Ceramics - make sure you have plenty of room in your luggage because this can be addicting! We came home with 4 pieces and probably would have done more had we had the time.

We are looking forward to returning one day and we would highly recommend the Royal Sands to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation!

A note on the photos I submitted. I wanted to include some that haven't either been seen for a while or never seen. Here is a link to my photo slide show of the Royal Sands
[-]

If the link doesn't work I will also post it in the Royal Resorts thread in the forum

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank maciec
Reviewed October 24, 2008

Royal Sands is very well located,you can take a public bus to the shopping mall La Isla and be there in five minutes.The beach is still very good,considering many beaches at Cancun were damaged by the hurracaine and never got to be the same again.
The hotel is very clean, the villas are very comfortable and practical for families. It is a good place for families, fun for adults, teenagers and kids.The food at Char Hut is good.The staff is very good and the only problem I find is that it is very hard to find a shade in the main pools area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank viajeramx1
Reviewed October 7, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Sands from Sept 27 thru October 4th. 2008. We thought the hotel was beautiful, very well kept, and the staff was extremely helpful, polite, and gracious. We stayed in a 2 bed 2 bath unit, E5715. It had a wonderful full view of the ocean. The balconies are nice and large. Our whole family of 6 could have fit comfortably out there, or in the unit, etc. However, our family vacation turned into just a couple one, which is not a bad thing :) However, we would have liked to upgrade to an ocean front and give up our 2 bed, but it didn't work out that way. We booked through our timeshare co, Interval, and the communication between the Royal and Interval is not that great. Over all we had a wonderful time. We enjoyed taking the bus into downtown Cancun. The market 28 was a bit of a disappointment because of the fact that at this time of year it is very slow and the shop owners practically beg you to come into their store, or to buy something if you have the nerve to go into their store. But it was an experience, none the less. We had dinner at Parillos (sp), and it was very good. Great margaritas! Nice presentation of food and even one of the waiters carries the drinks to the table on his head, 3 large margaritas. It was very impressive. We also took a side trip for 3 days, so I will report on that one separately. Ciao!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachlovinlaura
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Just got back from the Royal Sands in Cancun. Overall had a good time.
Check-i was horrible! Got there at 11AM...early yes...buit there were at lest 100 other people all sitting in the lobby area waiting to try to get checked in early too. I was glad to wait till the proper check-in time IF I had too...but upon seeing all these people lounging around in the lobby waiting for a room I felt that we would probably get a room early. How wrong I was... I checked with the desk clerk, Angelicia, and she said there was no room ready yet.......I said fine we would get a bite to eat at the resort restaurant. She said to check back at 11:45AM and there would probably be a room ready. The food at the restaurant was great and it was nice to eat by the pool. We headed back to the hotel at 12Noon and was told the room was not yet ready again.....she said to check back at 12:10PM....10 minutes later. I was still feeling like there would not be a problem getting a room early. The desk clerk did too. At 12:10PM I got up from my couch in the lobby that was still had people wating although not as many. Obviously some of them got check in early. The desk clerk said the room was being cleaned and if we took our time walking to our room it would probably be done by the time we got there. I said ok and headed to the room slowly...even stoppoing at the store again to look around. When we got to our room it was not cleaned yet, and the maid cart was all the way at the end of the hall.....it was not getting cleaned anytime soon. We shook this off and decided to head to the beach and wait. We still had our warmer clothes on and we were getting hot. At 2PM I headed to the front desk, not happy. I walked into the lobby area and ther was not 1 person in the lobby waiting. It was deserted! Someone got a room early I guess. I asked the same girl who was supposed to be helping me, and she said that it was not really check-in time anyway, and that was that. She said ther were no other rooms for me to move in to. So I went back to the hallway by our room, and waited for the room to be cleaned. At 3PM we finally got into our room!! I just wanted to be told the truth. If I could not get in the room till 3PM....then tell me! She dragged our check-in procedure out all afternoon and kept giving us hope we would get a room. I was not impressed with that service.
The room was a "B" side. This is the perfect size for 2 people to stay in at this resort. The bathroom was OK. The safe was a nice touch. The small refrg was good for 2 people also....although I was dissapointed there was not a microwave beside the refrig. There was plenty of room. The coffee pot was nice...but I was dissapointed there was no complimentary coffee for guests. I guess other resorts have spoiled me. The TV was small, but we did not care about that. We came there for the beach. It would have been nice to have a DVD player, since there were DVD rentals at the store. That would have been extra income for the resort too. The beds were firm. My wife and I both slept great and the pillows were super! We like firm beds...I know some people don't...but this worked for us. Try not to buy any coffee at the store...4.50 for a 12oz mocha. WOW! We did have a great view form our room, once we got in. The ocean was soo pretty to look at every morning. The beach has some issues. They do not seem to take care of it very much. The rocks did not bother us....but the beach they do have needs to be grated regular. This is not an expensive issue to do...so I am not sure what the problem is there. Once again..I guess other resorts have spoiled us. The service at the beach was great!! Eduardo was most helpfull with ouer needs anytime! He was super!!
The Char-Hut was great too...always making sure everything was ok for us. Super job! The welcome part is a must for newcomers.....really upbeat and informative!! Kobe was our personal helper for the week and his help was wonderfull! Thanks Kobe!! We visited Cancun 14 years ago....so a lot has changed.............the bus service is still the best I have ever seen anywhere! They take you anywhere....CHEAP TOO! 65 Cents gets you anywhere!!! We visited everything and the bus stops right in front of the resort! All of the staff in the Veranda restaurant was great and catered to our every need. Great Job Guys!! If you get a chance go to one of the dinner shows at the Sisal hacienda restaurant in front of the resort!! My wife and I loved the evening we spent there!! They really made it special for my wife...since it was her birthday!! lots of fun and great food...and a wonderfull show!!!
The maid service was good.....cleaned everyday. I do not hold it against them for my bad experience at check-in time. They did a bangup job cleaning our room and I left a generous tip to reflect my thanks.
We met the couple staying in the "A" side and had a wonderfull time having dinner with them. That was a nice time. They are super people. We intend to e-mail each other.
Overall nice resort. Great pools people.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple