“Experienced guests at the Royal Sands for over 10 years” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #18 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
sedona
“Experienced guests at the Royal Sands for over 10 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We travel several weeks a year and spend one week each year at the Royal Sands in Cancun. It has always been in the superior class in terms of appearance, cleanliness, maintenance, and friendliness of staff. The villas are spacious, beautiful, and soundproofing is exceptional. It is close to shopping, has a wonderful spa, tennis court, marina, and daily activities for all ages. The pool is heated and there are numerous palapas on the beach and in both places guests can get drinks and food all day. All villas are 2 bedroom villas and are timeshares and if one rents a villa directly from Royal Resorts a mandatory all inclusive fee is charged per person but if using a website where owners rent theirs out such as redweek.com, tstoday.com, omcancun.org there is no mandatory all inclusive fee charge. Cancun has great restaurants!

Room Tip: Beachfront villas are quieter than pool view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank wolffeman
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, January 15, 2014

Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,105)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Sands for 3 days Dec 11 - 14th, 2013 with friends who are members (owners). Their 2 bedroom 'condo' was lovely and it had a huge, open balcony that was over top of the buffet restaurant - an open area shared with the unit next to ours. The unit was very nice. Clean and well maintained.
During our stay the 4 of us opted for the all inclusive plan and we enjoyed A la Carte restaurants each night. Our most memorable was the steak restaurant at the Royal Mayan - delicious! We also enjoyed Captain's Cove and the Mexican restaurant at the Royal Sands. The all inclusive plan was the way to go for us as we wanted to eat out each evening. To pay as you go and to not prepare meals in your condo would be very expensive at the Sands. ie - a hamburger at one of the pool restaurants for lunch was about $12 US. We figured our evening meals and 3 drinks a day each paid the all inclusive fee. We are not big drinkers but if we were this would have even made it a more affordable option.
The resort is well maintained. The wait staff are attentive.
Would we stay again? Perhaps. But most likely we would try another resort - there are so many to choose from. The resort was good but not spectacular.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OttawaPixie
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, January 8, 2014

St. Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Royal Sands is my favorite resort in Cancun. The views of the ocean are great. The beach and pool are excellent and very clean. The spa is another favorite spot to spend time along with the workout facilities. The services the spa provides are excellent. I return each year to this paradise.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bryan N

Howell, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We (me, wife, 23yo daughter) stayed at the Royal Sands from 12/22 - 12/29 and had a great stay.
We stayed from Sunday to Sunday and did not have to move to another room on Saturday. We did the all inclusive and felt we got our monies worth.

The 2 bedroom villa was spacious and the view was spectacular. We were on the 7th floor directly across from the ocean and beach in the phase 2 section.

The beach was beautiful and we had no problem getting loungers under a palapa every day. We did go down about 7am to put down reservation towels and then went for breakfast returning about 8:15. You had to go down early to reserve a spot because if you didn’t all spots were gone by 9am. This may have been due to Christmas week being the busiest week of the year for travel and the Royal Sands seemed to be at capacity. A lot of people complain about having to give their room key for all drinks and food. I didn’t find the practice more than an minor annoyance. We would give our key to the beach waiter early in the morning, drink and eat all day (like running a tab) and only have to get it back at the end of the day at the beach (about 4:30pm). At dinner, when the meal was over it was no problem to ask the waiter for the key back.
The beach did have a lifeguard but most spots had red flags which means no swimming. The water was very rough and it was a workout to battle the waves in the few yellow (caution) areas.

I did notice while eating at the Char Hut one day that AI people did get smaller cups for their drinks and the water bottles were also smaller than the non-AI people. I don’t think this was necessary and could set up a subclass feeling between the two guest types. What else is given less or smaller sized?

The workers all work very hard and I tipped for all drinks and food deliveries. I also tipped the room cleaning people every day. I can’t say I noticed any drink or food deliveries as well as lunch and dinner attention taking a long time as others have stated. In my opinion, service was exceptional. Drinks at the beach didn’t take more than about 15 minutes and food orders took a little longer, maybe 25 minutes. All the servers and employees were very nice and friendly. We always got an “Hola” from the staff when walking in the hallways or by the pool.

We ate at the outside restaurants (Hacienda Sisal, El Conquistador, and Captain’s Cove) twice each. One night at the Veranda (buffet). The Captain’s Cove was the best by far. We ate outside and watched the sunset on Christmas day. Service was great as was the food. El Conquistador was second with a great guitar player as background music and the food was also delicious. We weren’t that thrilled with the Hacienda. The food was ok, but the noise level in the restaurant was unbearable. Couldn’t even talk to each other. Most nights one of us had a dinner that had a surcharge. No big deal. It was maybe 6 - 8 dollars extra per choice. In the week we were there we racked up a whopping $85 or so in surcharges. Not bad for the great food. There were plenty of non surcharge items unless you were a non Mexican food, non fish eating person like some I know. The shuttle was full one of the nights we wanted to eat at an outside restaurant and we took a cab. It was $9 plus tip to Captain’s Cove or El Conquistador which is across the street.

I received a few calls from Naomi prior to my arrival at the Royal Sands welcoming me and informing me that she was my concierge to help me with my stay there. I’ve done a few timeshare all inclusives before and knew the game. Shortly after arrival I received a phone call in my room to meet Naomi. When we met, she invited me to a welcome party and to talk. I explained to her that I wasn’t interested in any type of timeshare presentation and my wife and I aren’t interested in owning timeshares. I didn’t see or hear from her again the whole week.

Overall our stay was wonderful and I would consider going back someday. We try to go somewhere new every year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ralphgag

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Reading through these reviews - which I looked up after seeing a trip advisor plaque at front desk- I am just floored. It all makes sense now. Plates in the halls - people's left over scraps- to my astonishment as in 14 years I have never seen this at RS; slow service at beach and mixing up of orders or forgetting all together; rowdy foreigners brandishing their yellow wrist bands while guzzling drinks at the pool - the overall dynamic has changed.

Shame on you Royal Resorts. Deception to owners at its finest. But You could increase the level and quality of service from years past. And you can reply and say what youve done- but increasing staff 20-25% when occupancy is doubled and trippled - doesn't add up. From an owner - step it up or you will lose out. And as for the reserving of chairs at pool - the staff just turns a blind eye.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Strongestrope
SALEM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed and the Royal Sands during Christmas week #51. This is a time share resort with many older people and families. We were never approached about a time share but we did stay Sunday to Sunday and not on Saturday when the time share people check in. Also, we stayed at the Royal Mayan last year when we had the pressure sales pitch so maybe that's why we didn't get it this year. It does not have many bars and restaurants plus there is no night life. So if you want to spend a nice quiet time on the beach or by the pool this resort is for you.

It is best to reserve a room from Saturday to Saturday, otherwise you will have to switch rooms on Saturday. That wasn't a big deal with us since we stayed Sunday to Sunday. So we had to move for just one night. We also went for the Refine All Inclusive Package. This is the best way to go, just don't order top shelf or lobster/prime rib. We did not have any issues with the service as other reviews indicated. We did tip the staff a few dollars every time just like any place we've been. This is how you get great service. The food was great, we ate mostly room service and from the pool bar for lunch. As previous reviews indicated plan ahead for room service. It does take 35-45 minutes. Christmas morning it took an hour. We started ordering the night before for breakfast and had no issues after that. The only sit down restaurant in the resort (there is one on the road but we didn't eat there) was buffet only for the week. Probably because the resort is full and easier to feed everyone. We're not big on buffets. We did it one night and got there right when they opened. This way people haven't "dug" through it already. Sure enough, I scolded one little boy for reaching for food with his fingers...His mother was right there. Gross.

We spent all our days on the beach. I made coffee every morning in my room and went down to the beach to watch the sunrise. I enjoyed drinking my coffee on the beach during the early morning and stayed on the beach all day. There are many people that put their towels on the chairs and come back hours later to claim their spot. This is wrong and the resort should do something about this.

One day we took the bus to the Walmart. The prices there are not much different compared to the mall next to the resort. It was difficult to find Mountain Dew and Miller Lite. Cancun is a Coke and Bud place. The market at the resort is slightly over priced but worth it. It took us most of the afternoon to go to Walmart and back.

There is a nice mall one block north of the resort. Very clean with many shopping options. We went there for most of our things once we figured that out.

We plan on staying there next year. For the price of the flights and knowing it's going to be warm and sunny any of the Royal resorts is a great choice. This is the first time in a while we went all inclusive and I would definitely do it again. We look forward to next Christmas.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BRIAN G

Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean friendly and the
Staff were all great. Would stay again for sure, nothing to complain about
Brought us beer and food at the beach when we wanted and the rooms are perfect for a family.they are set up like a two bedroom condo.
The staff were there to serve and make are vacation memorable which
They accomplished.