“The Sands are changing” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Huntley, Illinois
“The Sands are changing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had a nice time during our stay even though it rained for 5 days. I am sad to read that instead of coming home to thr Sands we are now guests of a hotel. I am questioning what our investment and 21 year membership means?
The Sands is a beautiful and comfortable place where we can relax.

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Bob W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,100)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Atascadero, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Although we have our "home" timeshare through the Hyatt system, we were able to take advantage of a "free" week at the Royal Sands through Interval International. The property itself is beautiful, considering it is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. It is excellently maintained. Very clean with room service everyday. We were very impressed with our daily maid service which also featured a "turn-down" before bedtime. The grounds and pools were sparkly clean. The beach was set up daily. The only drawback to the Royal Sands was the no option aspect of their "all inclusive " plan. We had to purchase their "Refine" - all inclusive- segment at $89.00 a day per person. To be fair, this includes pool-side dining, a sports bar and grill, access to the main dining at the Veranda on the property,as well as access to other Royal resorts dining rooms, room service and a free mini bar, but really - $180 a day for a couple is pretty hefty. Even tho it includes all the alcoholic beverages you could want. You are not allowed to tip the waiters and I'm not really sure how fair that is. We had such great service at dinners that we did tip (our bad) Plus surcharges were assessed on some meals - like if you wanted lobster for instance. I think the Royal Sands could do itself a favor and make the REFINE package optional. The units all have fully equipped kitchens and they do have a market on the property. Some people do not like to eat every meal out for a week. Overall, a great vacation, relaxing and rewarding...

Room Tip: Ask for pool-side, ocean views - we like being up on the 7th or 8th floor for more expansive of a vi...
1 Thank Critter123
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

the resort has good amenities. all the restaurants are good.. just the waiters do not give much attention to the all inclusive customers... the waiters in El Conquistador and Captain's Cove are the worst.. otherwise all is good. we booked the Xel Ha trip with the in house Thomas More travel agency, it was a very pleasant experience, highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AC768
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards.
Lavallette, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

The Royal Sands is a timeshare with buy in that runs anywhere from 20 to 35 thousand for a week. There is a $I000 maintenance fee per week. I know because I am a 10 year member. When the economy went south and the sands could no longer sell villas their business model was broken. As you know the most expensive room in Cancun is an empty one. So the corporation has decided to betray the owners and turn the private resort into a all inclusive hotel. Now what's happen it has turned the timeshare owners against the all inclusive guest and vice versa. This is not a good atmosphere for either group. One group feels as though the corporation is catering to the other. What that said I will try to say objective. The Sands was one of the best run timeshares I have ever been associated with. The buildings are well maintained as well as the grounds. The staff now show a lot of discontentment because they are not receiving the well deserved tips that they should be getting. After all, all inclusive is to be all inclusive. But may be not here. Listen at a $100 per day per person for the refined all inclusive package that's a lot of money in anybody's book. What's happen the drinks have been peered down to smaller glass and the quality of the food at the only restaurant has gone from good to beyond poor. Yes the owners are older in age but they bring there families here with them and this was a family resort. Now with the mix of a younger group of all inclusive party type it's not a good mix. There is no entertainment for the all inclusive group, this is not that type of resort. So everybody is unhappy, owners an all inclusive. You chose if this is where you like to spend you next vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank DanC129
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your feedback. It helps us as we review our procedures and take steps to improve the quality of our services.

The launch of the all-inclusive package at The Royal Sands has not affected the quality that our members and guests are accustomed too; it has remained the same. In fact, we have expanded the selection of items offered in our facilities.

There is always room for improvement and we continue to strive for excellence. I am confident that we are on the right track and will soon remedy the issues you mention in order to provide the highest quality services to members and guests.

Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and we sure you'll notice improvements during your next stay at The Royal Sands, your vacation home.

Warm Regards.
Saginaw, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We've traded for stays at the Royal Sands many times before but now they require an all-inclusive fee of $89 per person per day. Owners are complaining because staff are leaving and not being replaced. The all inclusive fee includes the tip so we don't tip, tips to staff are down, so staff go else where for jobs, but The Royals aren't replacing the departing staff so service is very slow. We're made to wear wrist bands taht show we've paid the all inclusive fee but then they also take our room keycard to run $00.00 for tab. Because they are so short staffed it takes forever to get your room key back. Another new added feature is you must allow them to palce a hold on your credit card for whatever you'll think you'll be charging to roomat the shops and spa otherwise you can't charge to your room.

Then of course there's the morning pool towel nazi. I'm an early riser, I go to the pool, stay on my lounge chair read and watch the sunrise. They come to me every morning and ask how many towels I have (2), I plan to swim, after breakfast. Others, throw a towel on multiple chairs and leave, it says you can't do that for more than one hour but nothing ever happens. 4 chairs next to me had the towels and jsut the towels from 6:30 til 1:00 when I left no one removed the towels. When we were leaving and asked to have a cab they asked for our slip, I showed him my room reciept but no I should have received a check slip. But I did thngs backwards. I checked out of the room charges the night before knowing there not be additional charges, then turned in the pool towels in the morning afer I had my morning swim and got that receipt back then. Then when you go to the desk to check out you get some special slip for check out.

Will I go back - Never. The two of us have previously eaten and drank for the week on about $500 including a dinner at Ruth Chris. Now with their all inclusive of $1,246 per week per couple it's not worth, the food is not very good and the service is terrible. there was a glimmer of hope for the food at their mexican restaurant one night I had the stuffer grouper, when we went back later in the week it wasn't the same dish at all, it went from being moist and deliciuos to being overcooked and dried out. The buffets never change.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank sheba23
Dear Guest.

However, I would like to point out that our standards have not changed. With regard to the pool bars and the serving of alcohol in mixed drinks, the same shot measures are being used as always (1 ½ oz. each of of liqueur); they have not been reduced. Different glasses are being used however and as they have a wider mouth, this may account for the confusion and the perception that the drink is smaller. We would like to reassure you that this is not the case.

The launch of the all-inclusive package at The Royal Sands has not affected the quality that our members and guests are accustomed too; it has remained the same. In fact, we have expanded the selection of liquors and menu items offered at the restaurants and bars.

In reference to comments about staffing levels, we have increased the number of employees in the food and beverage division by around 20 to 25 % percent. Demand for the new room service menu is increasing and in order to maintain our high standards and ensure prompt deliveries, we are planning to hire more room service staff. .

Royal Resorts has a philosophy based on values, respect, commitment to and recognition for its employees and we are always looking for ways to help them With the introduction of the all-inclusive package at the resort, the restaurants and bars are being used more and accordingly the wages received by many staff have increased because they are receiving better tips, up to 30 percent more than in the past.

Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you in the future at The Royal Sands, your vacation home.

Warm Regards.
Northville, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

We love Cancun and have been here 5 times in last 4 years with Royal Resort, 3 times at Royal Sand. In my opinion, Royal Sand's room and beach location are perfect. Nothing I would ask for more for a relaxing vacation. Great weather, beach front is gorgeous, swimming pool is huge and spotlessly clean. Well, I said it maybe our last time here. It is because of the required "All Inclusive" Refinement. We've just gone through six days here. Few tips & opinions to share with you travelers and perhaps with Royal Resort management.

1. For non Royal Sand owner, the Refined All Inclusive package is required at $105 each day. We called and paid in advance and got a discount to $89, so a saving of $192 for 2 people for 6 days. If you are stuck like us, not reading a fine print before making the exchange in International Interval. This is your best option to save (and Royal Resort not advertising it). It is still expensive though. Plus, the "expected" tips you will pay for food and drink service.

2. Yes - even though, the "tip" is said to be included, you will have a bill with a line of tips for everything you use (food, drink, ..), so would you add the tip or not, is a question. Our 1st lunch meal we left zero tip at restaurant at the Royal Sand. However, an evening dinner at Captain's Cove We did ask the waiter whether "tip is included", the waiter promptly said "NO", he said it maybe for the Royal people but not for him. So we made a practice to tip from 2nd meal on no matter where we go to make sure. For 2 people, tips for: breakfast $4, Lunch $5, Dinner $10 and drink at pool side ~ $4 .. So budget some $$ for this. One thing that bothers me a lot is the vagueness of the "refine all inclusive package" about tip. Some will give zero and therefore the people with the wristband (all inclusive folks) could potentially get bad service .. I would rather have Royal Resort discount the package a little and said it clearly that "tip is not included". This way everyone will be expected to tip ..

2. This is our first time with all inclusive package and we found it is not suitable for us. $90-$100 dollars for a single person to eat a day and everyday for 6-7 days is really a lot of eating/drinking .. It is not healthy to eat large/drink large quantity everyday. If you skip meals, you would feel bad since you paid for it handsomely already. You rather use those $$ to buy/drink and select different restaurants you can to suit your mood and need. I guess Royal Resort would say that not all $$ to food/drink, they did put a gym, daily maid service, bathrobes, room services for food/drink .. but those extra are not essential to us.

3. In terms of restaurant - Salsa restaurant is the most disappointment. It does not provide any atmosphere or entertainment, the foods are not great, the service is so so. It used to be a highlight of my vacation when the bar/entertainment and buffet were there. Now the restaurant is pretty small, the entertainment is now changed to "back stage" and it will cost extra to attend that.

4. Royal Sand tries to invent a new breed of "all inclusive" with word as "refined" .. not sure what it means when you actually encounter it. You would pay "extra" for things silly like:

- Canned beer at the pool (draft beer is included), while your refrigerator is stocked with canned beers for free.

- $8 internet service at your room, while free around lobby area. I found that free service has very weak signal, I was at the pool area for hours and not able to connect due "slow internet connection", while the paid $8/week service in the room, It can't be use at the pool since it is too far.

- $3 call if you want to make to a 1-888 .. number to Delta Airline for checking purpose. Not sure why a 1-888 call will cost $3.

- $12 for using spa, the inclusive package can only use the workout area.

- Restaurant menu at all allowed locations have many items with surcharge. Though the surcharge is small, it is a constant reminder that .. it NOT ALL-InClusive .. at all.

- The quality of mix-drink at pool bar is noticeable down compared to a year ago (without all inclusive). The drink is smaller and in cheap plastic cup and can be blown off the pool counter top by the wind. The amount of liquor is so so light. I rather drink beer this year around than mixed drink.

I really want Royal Sand to be successful but I am in doubt. Royal Resort has a problem that it has to cater to timeshare owners (rather senior in age), who opted out of the all-inclusive package for good reasons (they perhaps don't drink much, don't eat much and like self cooking a little) and Royal likes to attract the young crowd with "all inclusive" concept. The styles of 2 groups are so so different, the entertainment needs are also very different that currently Royal Sand has no real entertainment offers. I am not sure Royal Resort strategy would work.

Good luck to Royal Sand though,

Meanwhile - We will sure not to come back to Royal Sand, not with the required "all inclusive" package.

10 Thank Hai T
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Guest.

Royal Resorts has a philosophy based on values, respect, commitment to and recognition for its employees and we are always looking for ways to help them With the introduction of the all-inclusive package at the resort, the restaurants and bars are being used more and accordingly the wages received by many staff have increased because they are receiving better tips.

Sincerely
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Let me start by saying I have no idea how anyone could write anything bad about this place unless you are someone who doesn’t bother to research or ask questions prior to traveling. We (spouse and I) enjoyed an amazing 5 days at The Royal Sands last week. It was honestly one of the best vacations we had due to 3 major highlights: 1. Location walking distance to Luxury Ave, short bus ride ($2.00 US for 2 people one way to Isla Mall and Turtle Beach where you catch the ferry to Isla Majors) 2. Resort was clean, staff friendly and knowledgeable (you could eat off the bathroom floor) 3. Food at the onsite restaurant La Vernarda was excellent and had different themes each day oh and one more the BEACH AND OCEAN VIEWS!

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (if you don’t bother to research on your own)
Security Deposit – even if you purchase an all-inclusive package you will be charged a security deposit between $300 to $500 depends on what you plan to do during your stay. If you don’t use all the money you have in your fund it is reimbursed. You can pay this with a credit card or pesos. This should not make your mad or surprise you. If you are a business owner you will understand and would want to charge someone you don’t know to stay at your property in case anything is damaged. Right?

Surcharges – READ the FINE Print! So you purchased all inclusive and trust us it’s the way to go. We have stayed at other resorts and each one has a list of what is included and not. You can chat with the resort in advance to find out what items will cost more. If there is a surcharge it’s not very expensive even if you are on a budget. We paid $9.00 US for filet mignon and were charged $12.00 US per day to use the sauna and steam room our gym was part of the package so no extras required. The fees if any are affordable and should not scare you. If you are expecting everything to be included it’s not but it’s like this at ALL the resorts in Cancun so doesn’t matter where you stay. If you say well then I am not going to buy the all-inclusive package that’s up to you. Unless you are a millionaire it will get costly quick! Cancun is very expensive compared to other Mexico destinations. An average dinner for two with dessert, drinks, appetizer is over $120 US x 5 = $480 just for dinner not including the other meals/snacks. It’s worth going all inclusive which at the Royal with the right package includes WIFI (not sure why that other person paid $8.00 for the week) and room service! We had WIFI in our room and public hotel areas. It worked fine and I can easily look up us web addresses by plugging them into google.

TIPS – while all tips are included after you meet the wonderful staff and see how hard they work you should want to give them a little extra. These people don’t make much and work very hard FOR You! It is true you must carry your keycard with you at all times and sign all receipts. We actually liked this and did not find it annoying at all. Further, by doing this we were able to add an additional tip. It is not required but appreciated.

Wristband – yes, if you buy the all-inclusive package you must wear a wristband. If your band is about to fall off you can go to the desk and ask for a new one before it falls off completely. If you lose it then yes you will have to pay a fee of $150. I must STRESS all resorts have the same rule so why complain. The band is comfortable and doesn’t hurt. It helps you as well when having drinks the waiter does not have to ask if you are all inclusive or not. TRUST ME it’s not bad!

Timeshare – through research we learned a Sales Rep will call your room shortly after you arrive and extend you a FREE or Special GIFT! Don’t answer the phone and if you do say you will stop by and don’t go and pick up your package. You are not forced to do it and if you don’t go they will not come after you! So it’s simple if you are curious then you will fall into the trap of hearing them out for 2+ hours to win $300 worth of stuff usually activities. We feel fortunate that if we want something we can just go and buy it but some do fall into the trap. We never picked up our gift and were never bothered so now you know. We plan to make another visit and if the service and quality is still 5 stars then we may ask about owning a timeshare on our own.

Shuttle – yes they only service on an hourly basis but since this resort has a great location to the others if you don’t wish to use the shuttle just pay $2.00 US for 2 people to use the public bus. A taxi service will cost a flat $10 rate another option. Just be smart and look for alternatives. Again, if you are one of those that only wish to use the items included in your package because you don’t wish to spend a few bucks more then don’t stay here. This place is not a low end resort so there will be extra charges here and there and honestly for 5 days we only spent about $115.00 more. Not bad for a wonderful and amazing vacation. We enjoyed our stay the views, people and can’t say enough great things except we are already looking at planning visit #2 and will be staying at the Royal Sands again.

PS the Conquistador was not good but we did enjoy the Veranda located in our resort very much and were there for breakfast, lunch and dinner! It’s also the same place that provides your room service.
We can’t speak to the activities since that is not our thing but can say the resort offers an abundance of things to do! Best part is the location and ocean! Hope this helps!

PS it's also great place for babies and families!

11 Thank Chicago T
Cristóbal G, Online community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards.