“so much for no pressure sales”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #19 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bonita Springs, Florida
“so much for no pressure sales”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

My hasband and I asked our concierge what all the info. on this RCI?? We were told we could no longer do our usual things with Interval - so, we decided we should hear what they had to say. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!! We heard nothing much about the issues and all about us buying a new timeshare at the Royal Cancun or Royal Haciendas We are not interested since they went all inclusive in anymore timeshares with the Royals. We had to sign a paper that we would not be allowed to buy this exclusive offer again!!!!!!! Do you believe that???? How insulting.
We noticed the food was not as good - our drinks were watered down - there was a different caliber of people staying there than we have ever seen before in our 20+ years of going to the Royal Resorts!!!! Maintenance fees have really gone sky high - we are not happy members anymore. I had sooooo many wonderful memories of our yearly trips to Cancun. Not this year. I was down an extra week and tried the Royal Haciendas - not for me. It is dead there - Playa is not a hop skip and a jump - the shuttle runs very limited hours - taxi's are expensive. Too many cons and not enought pros. New management at the Royals has ruined all the plus points we bought there for. I don't want all inclusive. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to eat there because I spent .the money on the all inclusive. I don't mind paying for my drinks -as long as I get what I paid for - and certain times I eat at the resort and at other times I have certain restaurants that we have always gone to for over 20 years. We want to continue to go to those restaurants. This will run all the good restaurants out of business and the Royals know it!!!!! Also, we don't care about putting up with drunks at the pool - or anywhere - because they get free drinks!!! But, the most insulting was the girl who presented us with the program and couldn't sell us - she got a gentleman to try to hard sell us (to no avail) and then HE MADE US SIGN SOME DOCUMENT SAYING WE COULD NEVER HAVE A CHANCE TO DO THIS AGAIN!!!! That did it for me - it ruined my whole trip. I heard others say they got the HARD SELL also. Too bad.
Oh well, it's over - the Royals as we knew them will never be again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Judith A
Cristóbal G, O at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your feedback. It helps us as we review our procedures and take steps to improve the quality of our services.

However, I would like to point out that our standards have not changed. The launch of the all-inclusive package at The Royal Sands has not affected the quality that our members and guests are accustomed too; it has remained the same.

There is always room for improvement and we continue to strive for excellence. I am confident that we are on the right track and will soon remedy the issues you mention in order to provide the highest quality services to members and guests.

Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and I hope to have an opportunity to welcome you in the future at The Royal Sands, your vacation home.

Warm Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
cp
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have stayed here in the past and we always get treated very well. The timeshare reps do not hound you, they respect your wishes if you want to be left alone. The resort takes Visa credit cards, they do not take discover or American Express .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank olag10
Cristóbal G, Online Community Administrator at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards.
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed December 4, 2013

An absolutely perfect resort! Immaculately clean; beautiful surroundings, pools, ocean front, great beach. Wonderful staff who all treat you like a friend, and actually like you are royalty. Great restaurants, quick and friendly waiters for poolside and beach-side service for drinks and great appetizers, seafood and sandwiches. All inclusive was perfect though they probably lost money on us because all inclusive is relatively inexpensive for all the drinks, lavish buffet breakfast, poolside meals, full dinners. Thanksgiving was beautifully decorated, great presentation of the food, great American and Mexican food and perfect waiters.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Charlene B
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I booked this trip for our family of 6 after reading a host of other reviews on here. I was slightly worried that we would be hounded by timeshare reps throughout our stay and that the food would be mediocre at best.

Well we were pleasantly surprised! The Timeshare presentation was only mentioned once and that was when my husband enquired about the trips offered to the ruins. We were told that if we attended the presentation we would get a discount on the trip price. As it was we had already contacted MayaCanEcoTours about a trip so had no need to attend the presentation.

Firstly... the All Inclusive. This was our first experience of staying at an all inclusive property and it was great! It included all meals, drinks and even room service which we used after we arrived at the resort at midnight! It was slightly annoying having to wear the wristband all week AND show our key card every time we wanted to order but it wasn't a big deal. We were able to eat at our resort and at other Royal resorts in the area which was nice.

Other reviewers made mention of being treated differently if they were wearing the all inc wrist band. We did not encounter this at all. All the staff were attentive and we had no problems getting served whether it was at the restaurant, the pool bar or pool side. Sure the cocktails at the pool were slightly smaller but they are free so it was really no bother ordering as many as we wanted.

Secondly...The Suite. There were 6 of us so we had a 2 bedroom suite. The kingsize master bed was really comfortable as were the 2 doubles in the 2nd bedroom. The murphy beds in the lounge? Not so comfortable, in fact we had to rotate the kids as no one wanted to sleep on them! The rooms were clean and were cleaned every day with a turn down service at night. The fridge was stocked with beer, water and soft drinks which was a nice touch.

The hotel is huge. There are 3 pools and 3 swim up bars. The grounds are clean and well tended. There was a kids club but we didn't use it as ours were either too old or too young. If you are looking for night time entertainment then this is probably not the resort for you! There was none apart from a pianist one night at the Veranda restaurant. There was nothing to keep our teens occupied in the evenings which was a definite failing. I think next time we come to Cancun we would probably stay at another resort for this reason alone, which is a shame because everything else was top notch.

The only other complaint we had staying here was that as our stay was Sunday to Sunday we had to move suites on the Saturday morning. This was a major inconvenience as we had to spend several hours of our last full day packing and moving to the new suite. If you cannot be accommodated in one suite for the entirety of your stay then they should not take your booking.

All in all we had a great vacation at the Royal Sands and Spa. We would love to come back but I'm afraid the lack of entertainment may have us booking our next stay at another resort!

2 Thank Bonzo68
Sun City, Arizona, USA
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I just got back from spending a full week at the Royal Sands in beautiful Cancun, Mexico. The property was being decorated for Christmas and before I left, I witnessed as a marvelos change from the already pleasant atmosphere to the most beautiful Christmas wonderland!
The resort is the most immaculate place I've ever been in. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The grounds around the resort are pristine and lovely. The beach around the property is equisite and you are never bothered by any of the many beach vendors around many of the hotel sites. I was so impressed with this location that I became a member of their new vacation club.

Room Tip: If you love the sun, sea, and sand, treat yourself to a visit to the Royal Sands, you won't regr...
1 Thank Patricia R
Agoura Hills, California
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed at The Royal Sands for Thanksgiving week 2013. The things we liked about the place was the over size units. We got a 2 bedrm that was the biggest we ever saw, very nicely designed and beautiful views!!
But, there were some downs...first, they do not accept American Express, really? We were planning on paying the all inclusive with our AMEX and we couldn't. We were lucky that we had enough cash to cover for it, because that's leads me to second...OUTRAGES PRICES!!! and you don't get the return. The food was ok, no more and the verity was poor. My third point will be the room service that guarantee 35min and almost always makes it in 50min. We had 2 incidents where it took them 1:15HR !!! My kids were starving and upset !!! and there were no apologies on their behalf !! My forth and last point will be the poor activities for kids and adults. I hear from friends that been in all inclusive resorts in Cancun about shows, dances and lots of fun they had...not here :(
Other than that, the pool is big and beautiful, the beach too.
Would not go back there again!!

3 Thank Michal A
Potsdam, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My wife and I are owners here, and it is a top notch destination. We bought in 6 years ago, and we have never traded off. We come every year. We have made friends with others, and the staff remembers us. You feel like you are coming home every year. The beach is as nice or better than most that you could find in the Carribean or Mexico. The staff is first class, and you will be treated like a wanted guest. The food is about average to above average, and the Villas are spotless and roomy.

That being said I also have some words of caution. Our last visit we were told about a special program available for members. No other details were given, and we needed an appointment to hear about this valuable service that they were offering ... "because we asked for it." We were told that it would be a 50 minute presentation as well as a lunch. Well, the lunch was rushed, they checked the last 4 digits on my credit card to see if I won a prize. Sound familiar? This is starting out as a pitch that I have heard at the Hard Rock Hotel and other resorts in the area. The 50 minute presentation was a 3 hour plus tour, sales pitch, and the last 50 minutes plus was a high pressure pitch for "Silver" status through RCI (for those of you familiar with timeshares). This included a very well organized, psychological sales pitch by A----- . Whoever thought this sales presentation up was really up on high pressure marketing, psychology and strategy. When he failed his superior (henchman) G--- showed up! He would make comments that were out of line and downright condescending, and when he read our negative body language he would give a half-heart laugh ... like he was kidding. My wife and I were not amused in the least! The icing on the cake was when G--- informed us that Royal Resorts were canceling membership in Interval International and going with RCI. We were told by Royal Resorts during our last visit that they were going with RCI, but we could still use Interval. Well, my 3 year renewal for Interval just became much less valuable. The Royal Sands that I know (knew) never used tactics like this in the past.

We enjoy coming here, and we will continue to come here every year. Would I become a member again? Not sure at this point, but you can usually stay a week here for less than your maintenance fees. You can have a good time and really enjoy yourself here, and if you want a free lunch make sure you know what you are in for.

1 Thank BenGruda