“Enjoyable Stay!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kingsville, Canada
“Enjoyable Stay!”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visited the Royal Sands recently and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had the opportunity to stay in a villa for the first week of our 2 week stay and thought the accomodations were perfect. The entire villa was very roomy and comfortable and we had a great view! For our second week we rented what is called a "lock out" and were registered as all-inclusive guests. The room was very similar to a motel room. We had plenty of room, a walk-in closet with plenty of room for clothing, a small kitchen area with a mini-fridge (stalked with beverages), microwave and some dishes. The service was excellent, food was very good with plenty of choices and the entire staff was very friendly and helpful. The package was relatively inexpensive considering we were staying at a 5 Star resort. Given that the Royal Sands is mainly a time share resort, at no time did we feel we were treated differently. As well, the hotel is in a great location, close to stores and restaurants. If you are looking for a real treat, try out the Spa as well. We visited it 3 times and thoroughly enjoyed each experience.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad view in the place. The first week we were on the ground floor with an ocean f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dave1353

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,167)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent the thanksgiving holiday at the Royal Sands, it is a beautiful resort, very well kept, excellent service, great beach and pool.The have organized activies daily for kids, teens and adults, no pressure to participate. Pool towels are free, just return them every day for clean ones. Food and bars are excellent. You can be as busy as you want, Thomas Moore runs tours for everything you can think of, prices are very fair and the toours are very well organized.

Room Tip: not a bad room, all have a great view. besides I did not go to Cancun to stay in the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jo O
New York
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Royal Sands is a beautiful, clean resort with amazing views of the ocean. The rooms are spacious, the maid service is excellent, and the employees are all reliable and friendly. The resort is also well situated: it is close to two malls and public transportation. However, I can only give the resort two stars because of the absurdly overpriced all-inclusive requirement. At $105 day per person, the resort is just not worth it. The food is very mediocre, the portions are small, and there are even surcharges for certain options. Unfortunately, unless the resort removes its all-inclusive policy, I will not be staying at the Royal Sands again. This is too bad because other than the overpriced and lousy food this is a really nice resort that I would have liked to visit again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Andrew H
Hacienda Heights, California
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just got back from 13 days of vacation in Cancun and the Riviera Maya. Spent 7 nights at an all-inclusive and 5 nights at The Royal Sands. It was a nice break to not have the all-inclusive after doing it for 7 nights. I really do enjoy cooking some meals and then eating out some of the time. I booked my unit back in June so I wasn't subjected to the expensive AI option. I am glad I did that as the AI fee was just too much at 105 per person and there just wasn't enough choices for 7 days. I stayed at the El Dorado Royale for 7 nights and they have 7 or 8 restaurants onsite and by the end of the week, we were getting bored already. I think at the Sands, I would have been miserable if I had gone AI. Just my personal opinion. There are way too many great all-inclusive places in Cancun with way more selection in restaurants and probably higher quality. In my opinion, the Sands took a step backwards by implementing AI. What's the point of having a great fully equipped kitchen when you are required to join the AI. That said, it will be my last trip unless their experiment into the all-inclusive fails. I will be keeping my fingers crossed as I do love this resort. I took off the 2 stars due to this. I will be staying at the Westin Lagunamar from now on. I don't think Starwood hotels will be branching into all-inclusive any time soon. They do what they do well and that should be something the Sands ownership should learn to do. Stick to what you are good at!

Now on to the good. It would be unfair for me to just discuss what I didn't like. I want to point out the staff at the Sands were wonderful. You see smiles and hear Hola's all the time. The maids that came in my unit was awesome. She is so detailed that we tipped extra. We didn't try the restaurants onsite due to the bad reviews on food. We ate at the pool bar in Phase II and the food was decent but nothing to write home about. The drinks were well made and tasty. The beach waiters were great too. Always available and courteous.

There are a lot of great restaurants around the area and we took the bus for 8.5 pesos to experience all Cancun had to offer instead of eating at the 2 or 3 restaurants at the resort. If you are staying at the Sands, definitely go visit Cenacolo at the Kukulkan plaza next door. It is one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever eaten at. Really authentic with great service!!!

In closing, the resort is clean and beautiful. The sand is white and not rocky. The service is impeccable and all is 5 stars. But now that they are an AI for everyone else besides if you own the timeshare there, they need to be compared to other AI's in the area and that's why I docked them 2 stars. You want to be AI then open more restaurants and have more choices. Have stocked fridge in the rooms. You just don't have what it takes at this time to receive more than 3 stars as the amenities is a basic AI.

Stay if you can if you can avoid AI. It is a wonderful resort!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have view of the ocean. The ocean front units are awesome but if you are a li...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jack L
london
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Tacky, loud, unhygenic and the worst food I've experienced in a resort e.g. microwaved frozen pizza with water floating on top from the defrosted ice. Crude, unsafe and intoxicated patrons continued to be served alcohol, despite throwing chairs in the pool (which were not collected, so continued floating in there all day). Service was slow and (1.5 hours to get a room service meal of juice and cereal; and then the trays left uncollected from outside our room for 3 days).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank the_white_lodge
Champaign, Illinois, United States
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We've been members at the Royal Resorts for 10 years and absolutely love being "welcomed home" each time we come back!! The property and rooms are beautiful! The service was great and the employees always at your beck and call. We have yet to have a bad week anywhere at the Royal Resorts. The only thing we were very dissapointed about was the WiFi internet connections. Had a difficult time with getting online. Hope they work that our sometime soon.

Room Tip: rooms in phase II (the Garden side) are much quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Eva W
Rochester, NY
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We spent a week at the end of October/early November at the Royal Sands. It was fantastic. Our suite included a spacious patio overlooking the pool and ocean, a living room and bedroom with sliding glass doors to the balcony, fully equipped kitchen, eating area and walk in closet. There is housekeeping service every day. The beach is gorgeous and the water breathtaking. The pool is lovely too, just more crowded with people sitting closer to you than on the beach. A few days we ordered food from our palapas - it was average but fine. The Mexican restaurant literally next door to the Royal Sands, however, was excellent! We ate there twice. I took the morning yoga class and did pool aerobics as well. The people couldn't be nicer or more service oriented - if there is anything they can do for you, they will. The convenience store was well stocked and though expensive, better than leaving the resort to spend time shopping at Wal-Mart. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple