“Best Trip yet!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Muncie
“Best Trip yet!”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

After finally arriving on the 9th, we were happy to see that the beach, while not perfect still had great swimmable areas. There were also yellow flags all week. Enjoyed cocktails and first happy hour that day with complimentary chips and salsa. Service was impeccable as usual. Met our concierge Ivan on the first day. Right away we knew that he was great. We stayed in a lock off, and asked him to get us some glasses and silverware for eating and drinking in the room, and he had it there in 5 minutes. I can't say enough about Ivan. They should give him a raise. We enjoyed the beach almost every day, and met some great friends from Michigan. The drinks were awesome. The maids kept everything tidy in the rooms. The food at La Veranda was the best it has ever been. The char hut and the food we got on the beach was awesome. Probably the best hamburger I ever had in Cancun, came from the char hut. I also have to say that we made two trips to Pancho and Willy's to hear the band Flashback and I must say, that this is one of the best cover bands, I have ever heard. I hope they are still working there when we go back. The bottom line, everything about the sands, is first class all the way, and I hope to spend many more years at this chain of resorts. Didn't hear any construction noise all week, but there always people cleaning and working to keep everything as well as your stay as nice as it can be.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Leaving it
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Danman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,167)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Santa Rosa ,Ca
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We have been trading into Royal resorts for years . Do You Know You can trade into a week at Royal by a vastly less costly way . Buy a really cheap used Time share & simply exchange , Used trade in time shares can go for as little as $3000.00 a week . Check Interval International. Why Pay $ 30000 for one week ?We had major problems staying at the Royal Sands .during our week in 2-08 .Our area was very dated , with 19 inch TVs ,but really clean . Below us construction began on Wednesday -jack hammers &pounding on the pipes which continued in our room for 3 days .What was Royal management' s response ? We were offered breakfast . Pathetic .

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Construction
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank Eiselen
Utah
Reviewed February 4, 2008

My husband and I traded our timeshare to go to The Royal Sands in Cancun for our 10th Anniversary this past November. We have never been there before and I can't wait to return! We absolutely loved The Sands! The staff was so fantastic and friendly. The resort was kept very clean. We saw many of the staff cleaning all day long. I was very impressed by that.

After being there for a couple days we went on an excursion to Xel-Ha that our concierge had booked for us and we had a fantastic time. I really wish we had signed up to swim with the dolphins. I definitely would do that if we went again. I was really glad that we only went on one excursion. I think that two excursions would be the most I would want to do in a week. We heard from a few people that had been on three or four excursions, that they were burned out and wished they had given themselves more time to relax. We really enjoyed staying at the resort. The food was good and the environment was very relaxing. We enjoyed eating there at the restaurant. You have to try the Loaded Nachos! They were so good I ate them almost everyday. You also have to try the Vanilla Monkey drink. We also went to Captains Cove a few times and Hacienda Sisal. Both were very good. Of all the Royal Resorts we visited while we were there, The Sands was our favorite and we would definately go there again.

The only disappointment we had, was that you have to pay to use the workout room and spa facilities. It just seemed unnecessary to charge your members or customers. Other than that, we had a perfect stay.

• Liked — We loved how clean and nice the resort was.
  • Disliked — That you had to pay to use the fitness and spa facilities.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank UtahWildchild
REEDS SPRING
Reviewed February 1, 2008

We traded our timeshare week for a week in Cancun at the Royal Sands and for this being the first time we had ever attempted to trade a week, we were very pleasantly suprised. The Royal Sands is one of about 7 or 8 Royal resorts in the area and one good thing is that you can use the facilities at all of the resorts as long as you are staying at one of them. We found the personal service to be outstanding and the number of staff to guests was very high compared to most other resorts. We were in the lock off portion of a full room which was adequate except for the beds. Hard as a rock. Other than that, the vacation was great. The beach in front of the resort has become a bit rocky due to recent hurricanes and the Cancun beach as a whole is not what it was 3-4 years ago. It seems that over half the beach has been washed away. Still plenty of room to stretch out and have a cocktail under a palapa, but not what I remember. The water is usually great and the staff also does work hard to keep you entertained if you camp out near the pool area. Free beer and drinks on Sunday afternoon and free chips and salsa for happy hour every day. The food from the pool bars is adequate and priced about how you'd expect for a resort. $5 - $8 US for most burgers, salads, etc.... if you like HOT salsa you'll have to ask for it, the standard is pretty simple pico de gallo.

If you have an sense of adventure at all, don't miss the free sailing lessons and sailboats on the lagoon side. Just sign up at the activities center and away you go. They have little sunfish boats and great instructors even for a complete beginner. You'll be sailing around the lagoon before you know it. If you're a golfer, there are some local courses and the resort will provide you with taylor made clubs for free to use for the day if you like.

There is a small store on site that is reasonably priced, but the restaurants are nothing to write home about. We had a great time taking the local bus R1 from right in front of the hotel downtown Cancun and eating local. The bus ride is about 65 cents and the food downtown is authentic and much less expensive than in the Hotel zone. If you hop off the bus near the city hall and just walk around, you will find numerous restaurants and if you walk across the park, there are several more. Just ask the consierge. Our criteria was that the place could not be more than 25% gringos for us to eat there. it worked out great.

Day trips to cozumel for some scuba diving or Xel Ha (pronounced shell Ha) are amazing. We are experienced divers and Cozumel is definately world class. Xel Ha has a little something for everyone and the tour desk also has a trip that combines cenote swimming, kayaking, repelling and jungle tour all in one day. Amazing.

There is a little bit of structured events that are really a lead in to get you to look at a timeshare purchase, but we found them to not be high pressure at all. If you want to talk to someone about it, make sure you ask them to meet about noon and at least they'll buy you lunch while you chat.

Great trip......again, don't miss the sailing or the bus rides downtown for dinner.

• Liked — Location, view and service
  • Disliked — Beds
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank shometravelnut
New Jersey
Reviewed January 30, 2008

Originally, I was booked to stay at the Marriott CasaMagna, but when I found out that my in-laws were going to join us, I had to change my plans to accomodate more people. I rented this resort from one of the timeshare owners and had a wonderful time. The on-site market was so convenient to get food, water, liquor, snacks. There were a lot of available activities available that you would never get bored. My wife and her folks did water aerobics in their ginormous pool. The rooms were always clean and clean smelling (no mold/mildew) like in some other hotels we stayed at. The sunsets were beautiful but my favorite spot at the hotel has got to be the balcony. Every baclcony has an ocean view. Oh it was heaven...

• Liked — Not all inclusive!!! Yeah!!!
  • Disliked — business internet cost is expensive!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank nubux
Massachusetts
Reviewed January 27, 2008

Are you you like me? You saw that the Royal Sands was ranked #1 in TripAdvisors Popularity Index with the Ritz-Carlton #2. You looked at the average price compared to the hotels ranked below it and said to yourself, "I've got to check this out."
That's when you ran into a roadblock. You checked a few travel websites and didn't come up with any availability. That's because the Royal Sands is mainly a timeshare resort. You can rent a room from the resort's own inventory, but in my case I rented from a timeshare owner. One neat thing about that was there was no hotel tax to pay. Also, the owner we dealt with gave us a rate that was significantly less than the rate quoted by the resort itself (if it had availability during the week of 1/19 -1/26, also known as "week 3", which it did not).

There are beachfront villas and oceanview villas. We rented a two bedroom ocean view villa. It was wonderful. We were on the 8th floor with views of the main pool, lap pool, and beach.

One caveat: if you prefer swimming in the sea rather than in the pools, I suggest you take the free Royal shuttle to the Club International Cancun which is another Royal Resort. Because the CIC's beach faces north rather than east, the waters are calmer. On the other hand, if you want to go to what I consider to be the most beautiful beach in Cancun, take the R1 bus down to Club Med. You won't be disappointed. Don't go there, though, if you would be offended by the occasional topless sunbather. Off the east side of Club Med's beach is a reef so you can bring snorkle gear if you want to see fish. The beach is public so you won't get hassled there, but you may get prodded back to the beach by Club Med security should you stroll onto their grounds.

I digress, back to the Royal Sands: Housekeeping is great. Our housekeeper, Emmanuel, probably spent close to a half hour in our unit every morning. He'd make up the beds and change the towels; he'd wash the sliding glass door and patio furniture on the balcony each day. One in our group decided to sleep on the sofa in the living room rather than on the drop down, murphy bed--he made up the sofa each morning, tucking in the sheets just like it was a bed. On Friday, he went so far as to take all the clean glasses out of the kitchen cabinet and washed them by
hand--even though the unit has a dishwasher.

The kitchen in the villa is fully equiped. The only thing we needed to buy was paper towels. While the villa is stocked with packets of dishwasher detergent, you might want to bring or buy a bottle of dishsoap, if you want to wash a few things by hand.

There is also a laundromat on the premises, so you don't need to overpack.

While there is a grocery store on the property, you will get better prices at the downtown super WalMart. Just hop the R2 bus at the bus stop in front of the Royal Sands and it will take you across the street from Walmart. Let the bus driver know you want to get off at Walmart and he will alert you, but the chances are you will have plenty of company getting off there as well. The cost is only 6.50 pesos or approximately 70 cents. I highly recommend the pastries and rolls in the bakery. An added benefit of traveling to Walmart: Walmart offers the highest exchange rate that I saw--10.90 pesos/dollar. Next best was at the Royal Sands, itself, 10.70 pesos/dollar. ATM machines and currency exchanges typically offered 10.65 pesos/dollar

The Supermercado 28 is only about three or four blocks from Walmart. There is an internet cafe in the north east section of the supermercado that offers DSL internet service for only $1.00/hour. Compare that to the $5.00/15 minutes at the Royal Sands.

Other perks of staying at the Royal Sands are that we got free use of snorkle equipment for the week; one hour of sailing lessons or sailing per day; free use, one hour per day, of tennis balls and rackets (if you are a tennis player who wants to play more than an hour per day, I suggest you bring your own racket and balls) and free use of beach towels. There are several activities for kids and adults each day such as pool volleyball, salsa dance lessons, blackjack or texas hold em poker lessons, movie night, casino nights, and tennis tournaments. If you miss an activity at the Royal Sands, don't worry, you can catch the free shuttles to the other Royal resorts in the hotel zone and do the activity there.

Not to brag, but I won a free tee shirt in a tennis tournament and one of my traveling companions won two free lunch buffets for winning the blackjack tournament. We also got free drink coupons for filling out customer satisfaction surveys and two free breakfast buffets for meeting with a Royal Sands marketing rep. The sales pitch is extremely low key. They don't so much try to sell you anything, but are just there to answer any questions you have. We were done in less than half an hour.

There is a beachfront welcome party on Sunday where you get free beverages, a free taco party on Monday or Tuesday, and a free wine tasting party. Oh yeah, guests also receive free gift baskets with toiletries in them from their personal concierges.

Our villa cost us $1400 for the week. There were five of us so it cost each of us $280 to stay at the sands and partake of all this--a great deal and a great time was had by all.

PS: If you're on a budget and you get "sticker shock" from the restaurant prices, know that there is a discount card available on line that allows you to get two meals for the price of one at several local and US chain restaurants. You can use the card over and over at the same restaurant, if you find one you really like.

• Liked — wonderful property at an great value
  • Disliked — some of the activities needed better execution
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
18 Thank ephmanMassachusetts
Minnesota
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We are not owners at the Royal Sands but booked a week there for our family of 5 over New Year's. We had a wonderful trip even though the weather was not what we had wished for. We had a villa in Phase II on the 7th floor overlooking the pool and out to the beach. The view was wonderful. We were happy that we were in Phase II because it is smaller and more of a community rather than the huge open upscale look of Phase I. The villa was well appointed and very clean. Our maid took exceptionally good care of us during the week - always a challenge when travelling with several college students. We ate several meals at the Char Hut (poolside restaurant in Phase II) that were excellent. The service is great and the palapa and view is just beautiful. The access to the beach from Phase II is down a handicapped accessible ramp or a flight of stairs and leads to a beautiful beach. There are rocks showing between Phase I and Phase II but also accessible waters near. The waves were pretty rough and our kids had a great time jumping waves several days. The best part is that the pools are nicely heated and comfortable - even on cloudy overcast days. The best part is that the kiddie pool is huge and separate so that there are more lounge chairs available for people and less of the towel wars stuff.

We did eat several meals at La Veranda in Phase I and the meals were also good. Breakfast is phenomenal there (albeit loaded with kids during the days we were there).

One comment: I shopped a few days at the malls looking at jewelry and ended up purchasing a few items at the jewelry shop off the lobby at the Sands. The prices were great, the selection good and the fact that the ladies working there were friendly and didn't keep pressuring me to buy something worked in their favor.

While the resort was busy and quite full during New Year's week, it was never overcrowded nor unpleasant. We never had a wait at the restaurants, no problems finding chairs poolside nor hassles with any services.

All in all, this resort earns it's ratings.

• Liked — heated pool
  • Disliked — small tv
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family