“Beautiful Resort, Friendly People and A Postcard View of a Lifetime!”

The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive
Ranked #19 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 22, 2011

NOTE to TripAdvisor Members:
I'd like to thank the many TripAdvisor members who take the time to write honest and helpful reviews. It's because of you that TripAdvisor works. And it's because of you that I choose to stay, eat, play where you suggest. Kudos and Thank you!

The Royal Sands Resort, Cancun, Mexico
July 2-9, 2011

Without a doubt, the Royal Sands knows how to please it's members and visitors. You've heard it in review after review, it's the people that make the resort. And it's what I based my decision on to stay there.

The staff at the Royals are fantastic, top notch, and professional. They go out of their way to please and assist you, at any hour of the day. Even when you need maintenance, they are there within 10 minutes of your call. And the staff at the laundry facility will wash, dry and fold your clothes and have them ready for pick up pronto! (and they smelled awesome!)

You do not use cash at the resorts, once you check in you are issued a room card and that is how you pay for your entire stay, no matter which of their resorts you're at! You can also exchange your USD for Pesos at the front desk, they give you really great exchange rates, so it's worth it to change there before you go on your day.

The Room:

Clean, updated and comfortable. Each unit has a breathtaking view of the crystal blue ocean. The balcony is by far the largest I've ever seen, it accesses both the main living area and the master bedroom and has a full table/chair set and two lounge chairs as well. Some have said the resort rooms are dated, I didn't think so. I do think they could 'warm them up a bit' with some colorful deco and wall hangings. Regardless, the rooms were clean and immaculate. The beds were very comfortable, the best I've slept in a long time with comfy squooshy pillows to boot! The kitchens are stocked with everything you need to make dinner in, with a full sized stove, fridge and microwave. One teensy note: a tv upgrade would be great! (they were small and kept getting stuck on channels), but who needs tvs on vacation!?

The Pools:

The resort has two large pool areas, both with swim up bars and food. They'll serve you right at your lawn chair by the pool, out at your palapa on the beach or right in the pool! The bartenders and wait staff go out of their way to please you, and let me tell you, they hustle! Even in hot, humid temps, they're rushing around to get you what you need as quick as possible. Large pool towels are provided for everyone, as well as snorkeling equipment and other sports related rentals, free of charge. There's a recreation center for kids' activities daily and also water aerobics and yoga classes at the pool as well.

The Phase I pool is huge and has a kiddy pool area, plenty of lawn chairs and an adult lap-swim pool extending from the main lobby. There was some sort of party the first day we went to the pool which disappointed us, we had just traveled all that way, unpacked and got our stuff to go to the pool and just go 'aaaah' and relax. However, the party at the pool was incredibly loud, so loud you had to shout to the person next to you. I noticed kids covering their ears, and the DJ was running some sort of bikini/booty contest. Not what we came to Mexico for, it was like we walked into Spring Break in July. We tried to escape to the Phase II pool but couldn't find any lawn chairs because everyone else escaped there too.

The Phase II pool is smaller, but more 'wavy' in shape. The huge palapa houses their swim up bar and cafe. It also has a kiddie area and is more quiet than the main Phase I pool.

The Beach:

The beach at the Royal Sands is flawless. It's like nothing I have ever seen or experienced before. Having been to some really nice Caribbean beaches, this one, by far, will take your breath away. The soft beige sands and warm azure-blue waves are so inviting and fun, you could spend the whole day in the water and not get sick of it. The palapas are just beautiful and were easy to get, with large grass 'umbrellas' to shade the hot sun.

I especially liked the outdoor showers by the beach and the walk-in water steps to get the sand off your feet. Very cool. Another cool thing: I noticed the beach has handicap-accessible palapas, they can roll you right out to paradise!

At night, if you're lucky during the summer months, you'll get to witness a mama sea turtle (ginormous, I might add) come up on the sand and lay her eggs. All of the Royal Resorts have a very nice program to protect and nurse the eggs and once hatched, release the baby turtles back into their habitat that you can take part in. Check out their website for more info.

Restaurants:

We ate several times at La Veranda due to their amazing buffets. Whether breakfast or dinner, their buffets are plentiful and have lots of variety from Mexican dishes to comforts of home type foods. The Sidelines sports bar made it easy for us to catch up on sports scores and even NASCAR races, although we only peeked in, heck, we were on vacation!
But! There are two restaurants of note that you must try!

La Hacienda Sisal: AMAZING food and buffets. They also have a big stage with live performances. We saw the Mexican show the final night we were there, and wow, they really put on a show and spread. (and ps, open bar too).

The Captain's Cove: I'm thinking this is not owned by the Royals, but they do take your room card for payment there, and it's just down the road. It sits on the bay side and is just breathtaking at sunset. A must for a wonderful evening out. Staff was great, food was great, and the ambiance can't be beat. It's a little pricey, but for that special evening out, it's just perfect.

Transportation:

The great thing about the Royal Resorts is that they have 5 resorts in Cancun ( and one in Playa) and you can use their air-conditioned, comfortable buses free to go to their other resort pools and restaurants too. It's like you have 5 resorts in one vacation, thumbs way up for that! They also have an in-house travel agency (Thomas More) that can help you schedule your transportation to/from the airport and to the many sight-seeing adventure tours.

The Spa

Oh... my gosh.. just beautiful and loaded with amenities and services galore. I didn't get a chance to use it, sniff, but I did take the tour and I promise, I will the next time around.

We traded through Interval and had no problems whatsoever. If you're trying to decide which Royal resort to stay at, I would recommend the Sands, it's private, bigger pool/beach area and easier than the others to get to town.

All in all an "A" for the Royal Sands!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ReflectionsByErika
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts Guest:

Thank you very much for your comments. I appreciate the time you took to write such a honest and descriptive review. I'm sure it will be very helpful to other travelers.

I'm very glad to read that you enjoyed so much your stay at The Royal Sands. We'll be more than happy to welcome you "home" again anytime!

Oh, and please do let me know next time you plan to visit us, so I can send you some very good Spa promotions. :)

Warm regards from Cancun,
Community Manager
Royal Resorts

Reviewed July 15, 2011

The staff at this resort work very hard to provide a clean, fun atmosphere for every guest. The amenities are awesome, the spa is fantastic and the food is delicious.

I want to especially thank the staff for finding a valuable piece of jewelry that I had left behind and returning it to a family member staying there. The honesty of the staff was without question, and they were very helpful and understanding while helping me find it.

I look forward to my annual visit next year!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank coachswva
Reviewed July 14, 2011

We were back again this year to our timeshare at the Royal Sands. I LOVE the
" Welcome Home" attitude when we arrive. We arrived loaded with luggage and groceries because we had moved there from the Royal Haciendas. All our "stuff" arrived in our villa quickly where we were greeted by our wonderful maid , Mary Chuy. Our villa was in impeccable condition, including a new HD flat scrren TV in the bedroom. There were also more English TV stations available. The pool area was very clean with new chaises and more straight chairs. The Welcome Party on the pool deck in front of the beach was a lot of fun. We were thrilled to see theTaco Party return to the Sands this year.The Happy Hour prices were better this year, and the restaurant prices seem to have been lowered a bit. The food and service in the Veranda Restaurant is excellent. The very best of all at the Sands is the view from every villa of the gorgeous turquoise Caribbean Sea.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank patty205
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We loved our rooms, wonderful and relaxing view of the sea. Great service. Cleanest.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I just returned from the Royal Sands and we both found the resort to be absolutely beautiful. There is a great deal to do in and around the resort, however if you choose to just relax, the beach is absolutely exquisite (one of the best we've visited) and the pool area is lovely as well. The staff is very attentive, the food is delicious (and reasonably priced) and the resort is gorgeous.

I can't say enough about our experience, but for you doubters out there, perhaps this will convince you...my husband is a virgo (detail oriented, critical and extremely picky - especially when it comes to resorts) and EVEN he LOVED the Royal Sands...enough said!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KELLERBEE
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Where do I begin?
I honestly cannot say enough about Royal Sands. Hands down, this was my best vacation ever. All future vacations will be sub par, I'm sure, if they are not at the Royal Sands.

In November 2010, I had the opportunity to visit Royal Sands, because an acquaintance of mine was unable to use their week, and I purchased it from him. Best money ever spent. This was my husband's and my honeymoon we never took.
From the minute I arrived, I was astonished with the beauty, the cleanliness, the decor, the staff, everything the Royal Sands had to offer.

Our room was ground level, beach front, and let me tell you, it was the coolest thing to be able to walk out the back patio to the beach. Although we did get locked out a few times by doing this, our concierge, front desk & maintenance staff gladly helped us out.

The very first night, we had to stay in another hotel since our stay didn't officially begin until the following day, but Royal Sands took our luggage and stored it safely for the night. We then visited the Sports Bar and that is when we met Moises. Little did we know then, he would be one HUGE part in our vacation. Moises was the best waiter ever. Pleasant, helpful and personable. A great person indeed.

The next day, we checked in and met Christine, our concierge. Christine was wonderful, from explaining all the benefits of the resort, to helping us plan our vacation activities and giving us tid bits of information on what to see, what to do, where to eat. Christine was truly a blessing.

Even Olivia in the laundry room. She was exceptional. Switched my laundry, even though it says its my responsibility, she was folding it when the dryer was finished.

I could bore you more with details of my trip, but believe me when I say, future vacations will never be the same. I just returned from a vacation, and while it was wonderful, it wasn't vacation in Cancun, at the Royal Sands.

I will definitely return. Definitely.

Room Tip: If you can swing it, get a beach front, first floor room. Best. Room.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alisonsb
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Dear Alison,

Thank you for the kind words about our resort and staff! I appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed review and will be happy to welcome you again to your home in paradise anytime.

Rest assured I've passed along all your praise to management so they can compliment our hard working staff for a job well done. Thanks!

Until we say "hola" next time, please receive my warmest regards.

Royal Resorts Community Manager

Reviewed June 27, 2011

Everywhere you looked at the beach or pool, there was painting and or repairs going on. Woke up one morning to painters hanging off our balcony looking in the room. Very Creepy! Best part of resort was pool deck for beach chairs, they are now down to only TWO chairs for the whole resort. Too many supervisors hanging out on vacant balconies just watching hotel guests. We have stayed here at least 12 times, first time room wasn't ready, was told prior guests had not checked out and could not be found, told to hang around and they would look for them, REALLY? Would not consider giving us another condo that was ready. Used to be a 5 star resort that we visited multiple times a year, now a 2 star. Must be under new management. Spa was the only area still superb.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mylo32
Camilo_Royal_Resorts, Royal Resorts Community Manager at The Royal Sands Resort & Spa All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2011

Dear Royal Resorts valued guest:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to write your review. Your comments are very important and help us serve you better.

The Royal Sands is currently undergoing maintenance work that includes a new paintjob for the entire resort. The painting works will continue until late September. Currently, the interior area (facing the pool) has been completed. This is in order to keep our resort in top shape for our members and guests.

Having said this, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the painters not respecting your privacy. We have taken measures to ensure this won't happen again.

We appreciate the feedback and hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards,