“Mostly good”

GreenLeadersGold level
Northampton, Pennsylvania
“Mostly good”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was our first experience at an all-inclusive hotel rather than a resort layout. The positive side of that is that it is quite easy to get around and everything is very nearby. The downside is that we missed the availability of just taking a walk at night around the resort, especially before and after dinner. My main distraction was our neighbors allowing their doors to slam at all hours of the day and night. Yes, they have automatic closers, but you can't take 3 seconds to hold the handle and let the door close quietly?? Not the hotel's fault, just rude guests. The beach was very nice and we were never bothered by people selling their wares. Daily games of competitive beach volleyball was a plus - although all skill-levels were welcomed. Food was quite good, the sushi bar was amazing and the italian restaurant was quite good also. Alcohol flowed freely - for some too freely - and there was always something going on at the pool. There quite a few young kids at the bar in the evening which I thought was odd. And one night they put on a show at the bar, which made an already-congested area nearly impossible to manage. Getting around Cancun by bus is quick and easy, very different from Punta Cana and Negril where there is nothing outside the resorts (at least not close). The dolphin swim was incredible, amazingly intelligent and strong animals. We had massages that were good, but the facility should not be compared to the Hard Rock in Punta Cana - simply a different class. Looking forward to trying the Hard Rock Spa near Cozumel so that we can visit some of the ruins - much too far to travel when staying within Cancun.

Room Tip: We stayed on the wing above the spa, very little foot traffic, except for people on the Legendary to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Juan R, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Hello Chris020367,

Thank you very much for your comments about your last visit to Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, on behalf of the entire team that strives to pamper all our visitors, we thank you chose us as your holiday destination and know that facilities , attention, food and drink offered at the hotel, they have filled your holiday expectations.

Hope to see you back soon to give you the same service and treatment characteristic Hard Rock Hotel.

Best regards,

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,536)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cancun
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Overall the staff was good, most of the time however it took forever standing at the bar to get a drink as they did not serve people in the order of who arrived first. Secondly, there should not be children in this bar (although I put most of the parents) On several occasions there were underage teens drinking alcohol and hanging around young adults who were also heavily drinking. It is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention, the pool tables were ALWAYS occupied by kids or teens, if they have their own games room that us adults are not allowed in, they should give the adults an area for "adults only" This resort needs to decide whether it is a rock and roll party resort or a "family" resort.
The food was average, good restaurants but they were only open for supper and sometimes a 2 hour wait to get in.
The market buffet was sub-par at best.
Rooms are extremely noisy, may have been construction maybe? Don't expect to sleep in past 8 am.
If you want a chair by the pool or on the beach, you need to be out there by 7 or 8 am, people will throw their stuff on to reserve and not use them until later in the day.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Juan R, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Greetings Jaime L,

Thank you for your review. Your comments are appreciated. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered during your past stay. We being working hard to improve all those little details you has found during your past visit.
We would like to have you back soon and change your perception of our resort as we strive to improve on any aspect to make your experience memorable.

Kind Regards.

Paola, Ks
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We spent the week of Feb 13 thru 20 at the Hard Rock Cancun. We usually are not the large, all inclusive resort vacation type of people. So we went in looking for something different. That being said, we did take four day trips away from the resort. Something that I think most guests do not do.
We had a nice room with a very pretty beach/ocean view and a big balcony. We were happy to find the food very good. The Market restaurant was just a nice buffet. The other dinner restaurants and even the pizza and courtyard eateries were all very very good. The service in the dinner restaurants was excellent. Service at all the bars was good even when busy. The cocktails were mostly really good and you could order drinks to your liking. All the staff were super friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. But we were surprised that some could not be too helpful because of Spanish/English communication problems. I know I am in their country and I don't speak their language but even some employees in positions to deal one on one with guests could not communicate well. Everything worked well but there are some cosmetic details that should be fixed. Nothing that some elbow grease, replacing tiles, fresh paint and a little update could not fix. All in all we had a very nice time. If these few, minor items would not bother you then I would recommend you visit the Hard Rock Cancun.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DD61Paola_Ks
Hi DD61Paola_Ks,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments, are the most useful tool we have to identify clearly where our areas of opportunity and follow them accordingly specifically regarding maintenance.

Likewise, I appreciate your opinion about our offer and variety of food and beverage & room decor.

We hope to be your choice for your next holiday season.

Best Regards,
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

I had booked a week at hard rock riviera maya but due to a mistake hard rock made I had to spend my last two days in cancun due to overbooking. 3 kids my wife and I. We were in a deluxe family suite at first hotel so just assumed thats what they would give us when we were moved. Not the case. We weren't told this of course we had to find out when we got to the room. After an hour at the front desk with very little communication we we're given a connecting room with two double beds being told thats all that was available. So it didn't really get better from there. This is a resort for couples not kids. Small pool area. The beach is really pretty but if you have small children you have to go into the water with them because the waves and riptide are wicked. Im six feet 225 lbs and got knocked down a couple times. The market buffet was not half as good as it was in riviera maya. The restaurants all had at least an hour long wait for the five of us while couples got in much quicker. In the other hotel we waited 15 minutes at most. Cosmetically the hotel looks great. The pool, bar off the lobby, and restaurants all seem too small though. They also shouldn't allow this claiming of chairs in the morning...its comical and could be very easily policed.

• Stayed February 2014
Greetings Carterian12

Thank you for your review. Your comments are appreciated. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered during your past stay. We being working hard to improve all those details you has found during your past visit.

Kind Regards.

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Recently enjoyed a visit to the Hard Rock Hotel with my 9yr old son. We both enjoyed it very much! My son loved his alcohol-free piña coladas & daiquiris, as well as the breakfast buffett & wood-oven mini-pizzas.

Very clean resort with attention to detail. Staff provides excellent service, always looking out for you. Room was clean and well equipped, with a jacuzzi right inside the room. The pool is big & nice, and the beach is kept clean.

As a Rock lover, the hotel was a great fit with me. Loved the constant rock music being played throughout the property. I saw a mix of guests, with young couples & families being the majority. I've been to a few all-inclusive hotels and not all have the food, beverage & service quality I enjoyed here.

Definitely recommended wether you are traveling as a couple or as a family. They have plenty of kid activities and a very nice kid's club too.

Would love to come back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Camilo_Olea
Juan R, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Camilo_Olea,

Thanks for the awesome review! Really there is fun for everybody and our kids club is the best, we are glad you loved it too! You are a true rock star!
Can’t wait to welcome you again at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun

Owasco, New York, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We spent three nights at the Hard Rock in January for a large group trip. It was a group of 500+, so we had a private check in. I must say my first impressions of the Hard Rock were not the best. We take this trip annually and there is always a reception area set up for the group. This was by far the worst reception I have seen. The food available was mostly ham sandwiches on different types of bread. Very odd, and not what you are looking for upon arrival in Mexico. The premade drinks that were served upon entering were good, but the reception bar made me the worst margarita I have ever sipped. I couldn't even drink it. It was basically a cup of low grade tequila, lemon and ice. The check-in staff was great. Very willing to answer questions. Our room was ready despite our early arrival, so that was a bonus. Upon exiting the elevator on the fourth floor I was overcome with an awful smell. The entire floor smelled like urinal cakes. Seriously, It was really gross. I started to become concerned, but hang in there with me, they did get four stars! We enter our room with was situated on an inside corner. Same smell in the room. EEK! So I immediately go to the sliders to open the curtains and door to get some fresh air into the room. GORGEOUS ocean view. Our room had a nice size balcony with two chairs and a table. At this point I do not care what is behind me in that room. The room itself is nicely furnished, despite some flaws in the walls, trim work and such. We had double beds.....but who cares, we aren't here for the beds! Actually it gives us space to lay out some extra things. The good news about the room is that we left the doors open, and when we returned later the smell was completely gone, as well as in the hallway. I think that the cleaner they use has that smell when wet and we came in during the height of cleaning hours.

Onto the resort, the food in the buffet I only had for breakfast, but was not impressed. The food they had wasn't bad, but the selection of Mexican food was very minimal. I basically had brie, bread, fruit and yogurt every day because that was all that was appealing to me. Usually I adore breakfast at all inclusives, but this left a lot to be desired. They do have outdoor seating at breakfast which I enjoyed, and took my coffee down to the beach with a book early each morning. Lunches we had food outdoors. They have a great grill that cooks all kinds of fare mid day. One day there was an amazing paella. The brick oven pizza was awesome, I recommend the steak pizza. In the evening we ate at the sushi bar one night and then sat with a large group also at Zen. While the food was good, we had a reservation issue. We waited for a very long time after coming and signing in for a hibachi table. We accidentally reserved the table for 9. and had 10. The hibachi tables seat 12, and they sat another group of 3 with us. Since we had one extra person we ended up not getting to sit at the hibachi. They used the entire hibachi for three people instead of figuring out how to fix the situation. We had a nice dinner either way, but it would have been more fun to do the hibachi. Our last dinner was a banquet and it was wonderful. The food was very well prepared, and the waitstaff was on point considering the large size of our group. They kept our wine bottles replenished, as well as our waters, and even brought champagne to people who received awards. I would highly recommend this resort for large events.

The pool service was really nice. The waitstaff brought us both food and drinks consistently. I had to turn down refills many times to keep a reasonable pace! Both the waitstaff and the bartenders throughout the resort were really attentive and remembered you from day to day. I was ever frustrated with the service the entire stay. The front desk was also very good. When we called for something it was brought to the room very quickly, and they even call to verify that you got what you wanted. The entertainment staff was very energetic as well. It isn't really my thing, but they were far more present than in other resorts.

Overall we had an absolutely wonderful trip. Considering that I LOVE food, and the first impression was horrible..........it is really impressive that the overall feel and customer service at this resort is SO GOOD that it overshadowed the minor flaws. I cannot wait to go back to the Hard Rock!

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor inside corner on the resort/ocean side and it was perfect!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Juan R, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hi Sarah T,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun! Our housekeeping team is aware of your comments and working on it. We want our rockers to feel the rock star treatment from the moment you arrive until you leave our resort.
Despite a bumpy start, seems that the always friendly service from the staff prevailed over any inconvenience. We are all devoted to creating authentic experiences that ROCK and we look forward to welcoming you back! You will love to see our improvements in a futures visit! Rock On!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Most likely get a lagoon view instead of a ocean view. Can't find a good steak on the property. Chef dinner was a disappointment. The updated look was nice but not at the price of decrease standard of food and drink. They charge 20 percent to their "free" resort credit to a limited menus of items to choose from.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Hello,

Thank you so much for sharing your latest experience at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun; your remarks help us improve our opportunity areas in order to keep a high level of satisfaction among our beloved guests. I will personally follow up with every single one.

I hope to see you back soon and have the chance to create a wonderful experience.

Best Regards.