“Over-rated, not worth it.........”

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Ranked #10 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 30, 2013

So lots to say but first off, 5 star? No chance. I've been to Cancun 6 times at 6 different 5 star resorts but in no way is this one rated that.
Upon arrival your some-what greeted at check-in then brushed along so they can attend someone else. No info, no which way to room, nothing. I asked for a high floor when I booked and asked again when at check-in but got snubbed away with a, "no you're on a lower floor." So asked if it was possible to switch the next day when someone checks out and it was like I asked for his first born. Again, I was brushed aside with a no. So then asked for a room upgrade and I'll use my $1500 Resort Credits for it and got a simple, can't use those for room upgrades.

Ok, so let's get things cleared up for those of you who see these new promos hotels are doing with the $1500 Credit to be used anywhere. NOT. You can use $300 for Spas at most, easy now. 1 massage costs $230. See how it works. The majority can be used to buy fake jewelry from an overpriced mini jewelery shop. And don't forget, you have to pay the taxes yourself. Basically the resort credit is useless. Yes you even pay the "service charge" for using the credits at the spa.

The Rooms:

Moving on. So got to my Deluxe Platinum Room (you may want to write that down), It's an ocean view room and one of the better class rooms........so you think!!! My room was on the ground floor facing a forest of palm trees. Behind those palm trees in the angled distance is the ocean though, so that's how they get away with the ocean view. I asked once again for another room due to the 2 cockroaches and open fridge with water all over the floor. After 6 different people conversing and heeing and hawing, they finally gave me another room. Opposite side of hotel but still ground floor no ocean view. Remember, this type of room is supposed to be one of the upper grade rooms.The biggest problem is the noise. Not the partying, just noise in general. You'd think the walls were paper and ceilings were paper as well cause there was always somebody moving something every night. Showers have never been cleaned and housekeeping, this is good lol. They make your bed, take your towels, mop your floor leaving it soaked and leave. And never leave you towels. Every evening I'd have to call once or twice to ask for new towels. Don't leave any money anywhere as they assume its a tip. And I mean anywhere. The other thing with housekeeping is how all over the place they are. They come sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon and sometimes around dinner as I had a couple times. And again, in out in about 10mins.

The Food:

Not sure about you but one of the reasons I go to 5 star resorts is to ensure better food. Well, this place has below average buffets. Stuff is left out for hours on end and not heated that well. Twice I had to caution the cook making the chicken and steak on the fryer about using the same tongs to put raw chicken on and taking cooked ones off. The lettuce looked like they just doused it with a hose as it sat in a pool of water nightly. And so on and so on. And yes, for the first time in all my travels to Cancun I got travelers Diarrhea there. But I wasn't the only one, the couple I met, he had started with it 2 nights prior. The food by the pool wasn't any better. Burger patties sat in tins not on burners and the pizza toppings where sitting in the 36 degree heat all day. So it's just a matter of time.

Entertainment:

Again mediocre at best. Pool side people act like they're forced to do the routines then you'll find them usually an hour later on the beach playing volleyball for the rest of the day. The poolside music is great......concert volume loud, and the same 6 songs over and over and over. Drinks are watered down and pool side staff are all hating life it seems. Even when you tip them it's not enough. You won't see them again. The evening shows are average as well. Nothing to write about.

Before you think, "Ok this guy just had a bad experience...", remember, I've been to Cancun 6 times in the past 8yrs, all in that area, all at 5 stars and this by far is not in the category of the others and MAYBE a 2 star. If you want real 5 Stars to go to in Cancun, message me and I'll give you a couple.
Even the Dr that had to attend me due to my condition was very impatient and told me that what I had was very common there.
The only good thing is the beach! That's it.

Room Tip: If you MUST go here, get the Rock Star Suite. This way you'll know the room has an real ocean vi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Mojito_Beach
Alejandro M, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Mojito_Beach, thank you for sharing your travel experience with us and we appreciate your detailed review as it gives us the opportunity to address your concerns.
We are disheartened to hear that you did not enjoy your overall stay at our resort, and did not enjoy your assigned accommodations , in our efforts to ensure you enjoy your stay we tried to give you another room more of your liking and we are sorry we did not impress you this time.
Regarding the food at our restaurants your remarks have been shared with our Executive chef to take in consideration to revamp the culinary experience in our variety of specialty restaurants.
Thank you for your comments and we would like to assure you that we have shared themwith the corresponding management teams to ensure your voice is hear as we consider your feedback the best way to improve and continue giving a great service to our guests. We hope you visit us again in the near future.
Expect the unexpected.

Write a ReviewReviews (10,251)

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I went thinking that I would not have a great time. It turned out that the staff was very friendly and could not be more to make sure that you had a great time.
The food was very good in each of the dining places. They made sure that you had a great meal.

Room Tip: I would try to get the ocean view with balcony. I had lagoon view with a small balcony over looking...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Carole Z
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear Carole Z, thanks for the short and sweet review! We are very thrilled to hear that despite any hesitation you had an awesome vacation and could enjoy our excellent service in our delicious dining venues. Come back soon to have another Hard Rock vacation! Keep the good times rolling!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Besides waiting over 2 hours for our room to be ready upon arrival, the 1st room was so dirty and in disrepair we have to find another! They did not clean the rooms until 7 pm on some days, and we had to beg for towels daily. There are no carpets in the halls so it was very loud with people in the hallways of all hours. They will give you a credit of $1500 but beware...you can only use it on a full moon when the wind blows East and at low tide! (get my drift) The items they let you use your left over credit on are trial sized shampoos priced at $100 US dollars! You pay $11.00 tax for something that should be free! The entire place is very loud. Good for happy hour but if you are going to relax this is not the place for you. They will tell you there are several spa pools which there are but they are cold. Upon leaving we asked and were granted a late checkout, however they locked us out of our room anyway and took 30 minutes to issue a new key. The wait / beach were all very nice and efficient. I would stay away, there are many better places to stay!

3  Thank jangel1234

Hi jangel1234, thank you for bringing your comments and concerns to our attention. We take pride on our service and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy taking advantage of your Resort Credits, there are many options to use them towards selected tours, golf, spa and beauty salon services, romantic and special dinner events, upgraded wine selection at restaurants, photo packages at rock shots®, selected take away products, The Colin Cowie Weddings Collection™. and much more; we recommend you ask our Vacation Planners about this tours and excursions there is so much fun using your resort Credits. About the inconveniences you mention about the noise at hallways we have shared your remarks with our management and regarding the housekeeping we are passing your comment to our Executive Housekeeper for further review; rest assured we work to ensure your voice is heard! in the other hand we find encouraging that you liked the service from our beach and pools staff, without a doubt they rock!.
We would love to show you what the true Rock Star Experience is all about in a future visit please let us know in advance so we can roll out the red carpet and treat you like royalty!
Live large!
LOVE ALL SERVE ALL

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Staff were great! Always helpful, curtious and willing to get us an answer if they didnt know it. Swimming was great in the pool, waves in the ocean was always too much to enjoy the water much, BRING GOGGLES. The food was decent but mostly at the actually restaurants, the buffet could use some variety. One MAJOR disappointment was we went there for a wedding and was planning on going to the nightclub that was advertised for the bachlorette party however the nightclub was closed two weeks before due to lack of interest. HOWEVER there was a really great staff member who went out of his way to help us sent up a VIP access at a place in Cancun that was a GREAT TIME! There is booze and room service included which is a nice perk. Although I would have enjoyed more activities offered such as snokeling, wind surfing etc that was not at an extra cost. All in all had a great time, however if you are looking for a relaxing chill atmosphere find someplace else this can be a loud, party type resort.

Room Tip: Corner suites have less of a view but have a bigger balcony. Some "upgraded" rooms on the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Hello Pamela A, thank you for taking the time to review your travel experience with us. We are thrilled to hear that you had a great time and felt the royal treatment from the staff despite any inconvenience we are glad they were there to get you a VIP access to the best night club in Cancun. That´s how we roll!
We look forward to welcome you again soon to make of your next visit a rock star vacation!
Party like a Rock Star!!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Watered down spirits,flat watery mixers, cold food,awful uncomfortable bed,noisey rooms,definitely not a five star possibly three ,vastly over priced scruffy hotel, bad experience from start to finish.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin O

Dear Kevin O, We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to review your travel experience with us. We are very concern with our guest satisfaction and sincerely apologize for not having your drinks done to perfection. We have shared your comments with the team especially with our F&B Manager and bartenders who also regret for not creating an awesome Hard Rock experience for you in this occasion. We would love to hear more details about your experience in our resort; I am sending you a pm to properly follow up with you. Thanks again for your comments and we are confident that our rock star customer service will turn you into a raving fan of the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
Rock n´ roll unite us!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Rooms were ok. Loud slammng doors at all hours day or night. Staff just seemed interested in selling time-share. Not impressed. No real activities for teenagers. Constant loud music - but no Mexican music at all - I would never know I was in Mexico. Constant classic rock. Got about old.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos
Alejandro M, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Janice T,
Thank you for sharing your comments. We appreciate the feedback for your experience and we assure you that we do not take them lightly. On behalf of Hard Rock Hotel Cancún, we offer you our most sincere apologies. We have passed this information to our management team and we have made proper arrangements to improve these areas of opportunity that you have mentioned. Hard Rock Hotel, as a thematic Resort offers many activities and venues where I am confident you will feel the Mexican warmth, I hope you come back and meet the band, we will be expecting you to treat you with epic service as you deserve.
Love all, serve all.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed at the Hard Rock from Dec. 24-Dec. 28. The hotel is really nice. I got upgraded to a premium room with a wonderful ocean view. The Italian Restaurant was very good, Probably the best place o eat in the hotel. The wait staff here is excellent. Shout out to Antonia at the market place restaurant He is the best. I enjoyed the daily cookouts. This was a nice touch.

With that being said I still have problems that took away from my trip. First, there were no cookies,chips or candy in the room. To be kid friendly, I to advertise snacks in the room I would think that you would have those items. Only drinks in room. Second, there are not enough chair on the beach if you do not get there by 8, forget it. Most people go down and leave something in chair to hold seat. I would think that would have more chairs. If you get a chair, beach service is nice. Third, the resort credits are a joke. I have limitless credits but I was told that I could not use them everywhere. The places that you can use them, you can only use a certain amount and the market up takes away from that. I could buy it cheaper in the USA. Fourth, they advertise clubs for adults at night. When I got there I was told club closed down two weeks ago but they have not had time to take off website. On my last night I find out that the steak restaurant turns into a club after 11:00. I was told that management is aware of all of these problems and have been for sometime because other guest have complaints also. I feel bad for by kids because I wanting them to have a enjoyable Xmas but we did what we could for them. I will it be staying here again. It seems like management is not listening to the guess concern.

Room Tip: Go to beach at 7:00 and leave towel on chair.