“michigan travelers”

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Ranked #9 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 25, 2013

looking for a resort with nice pools and beach, clean and secure place then this could be the spot for you. wife and I enjoyed the atmosphere around the pool with music. restaurants were very good. A+

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos
Write a ReviewReviews (10,420)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We just completed our 9 day stay at the Hard Rock in Cancun and it was a marvelous experience. The staff at the Hotel could have not been more accommodating to our needs and desires from the moment we entered the Lobby. Our concierge staff, Juany, Pilar, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Charlie to the Entertainment Staff, Kika and Bernie, our Sommelier Nelson, and even our masseuses, Rosa Luz and Liz made us feel very welcome (plus they made us feel great). The Hard Rock is like a second home!

Thank Edward M. C
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We have just returned from two weeks at the hard rock in Cancun and overall we had an excellent time, but with regards to the hotel alone, its hard to score them because there are loads of truly fantastic bits but with a few pretty disappointing ones to go along with it.
Firstly the best bits – the service is outstanding. From the check in guys, to the bar staff indoors and at the pool and the entertainment team they are amazing and can not do enough for you. We never sat down anywhere in the complex for more than a minute before someone came over and asked if we’d like a drink etc. They are genuinely helpful and I must add that we got this service whether we tipped or not. I never felt under pressure to tip them and we got great service either way, so I don’t understand some people’s comments on here about tipping.
The rooms are fantastic, very spacious with wonderful bathrooms and great jacuzzi tubs. The pool is also excellent and we appreciated that there aren’t too many kids, so it’s very relaxing. There is a lot of music and party games (which have been really fun!) but I can see how this might not be appreciated by everyone if you’re not into the music.
Overall I would say the food is good (with the exception of Frida, where our meal was completely inedible and we just walked out!). Zen is probably the best restaurant, where we had a fabulous teppanyaki meal. The Italian was fantastic, the Brazilian style meat at Ipanema was excellent and the buffet has a really nice variety of fresh and tasty food. Whilst its not the kind of food you’d get in a good city restaurant, it was very enjoyable none the less. In the ‘all-inclusive’ category of holiday, I think the food here is certainly much better than in a lot of other similar hotels in the area.
With regards to the timeshare hard sell, again I don’t understand the other comments on here, because not a single person spoke to us about it and we were not ‘pitched’ at once. I was very surprised, I was expecting and prepared for the hard sell, but we didn’t heard a peep about it. Almost disappointed, because I would have liked to hear what the deal was with it!

Now onto the not so good bits. Perhaps I’m being pedantic but these small touches really irritated me during our stay. My main gripe was with housekeeping. Whilst they did a good job in cleaning our room, they do not seem to come before 5pm! Some days as late as 8 or 9pm! We came back from dinner one night, tired and ready for bed, just before 10pm (it had been a long day!) and the maid was in our room cleaning. So we had to just sit outside for 30 minutes whilst she finished. On one day the maid didn’t come at all when we’d been out all day. I called the star service to get some clean towels and explained that the maid had not been, but got no apology or any promise that she would come, they just asked how many towels I wanted. Also with the turn-down service, I think we only got this on 9 out of 14 nights. Again, I don’t understand why they were so inconsistent.
There’s also an inconsistency in what gets put in the rooms, based on discussing with other guests, staying in the same kind of room as us, they were getting bottles of wine replenished in their room every day and we didn’t get any. So instead we called star service again and asked for one red and one white (my husband and I don’t drink the same) but we were told we can only have one at a time? So my husband got his wine and I had to wait before I could have a drink? Just odd.
As some others have commented, parts of the hotel are tatty and run down. The building itself doesn’t bother me, and even the scratched/dented/marked furniture in my room I can live with, but what did really annoy me was the towels with holes in and chipped/cracked crockery. This is unacceptable! If towels have holes surely they should be removed and replaced? The crockery and cutlery really let down the impression of the place, being either completely mismatched or damaged. Hard rock, please sort this out, because the small touches mean a lot and for a five star experience, I’d expect better.

Overall we did really enjoy the stay and I would recommend it to friends based on just the service alone. But I hope the housekeeping can bring up their standards to match the rest of the hotel because then it would be a five star review.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view on higher floors, many lagoon room views look out onto a carpark or a roof!
4  Thank MrsHBomb
Reviewed November 25, 2013

From the moment I arrived, no matter where I was--the staff went out of their way to ensure that I was comfortable and enjoying the property. Lucy, who seated me at the restaurant, The Market, was outstanding and made me want to be sure to return to The Market for breakfast! The quality of the restaurants was delightful to say the least! The best Lasagna ever while at Ciao! The entire experience was one that I will keep in my memory for a long time! I look forward to my next Hard Rock Hotel experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 25, 2013

As a travel agent (yes, we do exist!) we have the opportunity to experience a variety of resorts (which is why using a travel agent is to your advantage). Hard Rock Cancun was truly a wonderful experience. There was a wide range of clientele from young families to seniors to all appeared to be having a 'Rockin' time! Variety of areas for everyone; quiet alcoves to read your book and rockin bars and night club to stay up and party. The main pool was well designed, a pool to get away from it all on the 3rd floor terrace. The beach was one of the best. Talking to a number of clients on site they generally all agreed; the staff 'Wonderful, attentive', they were treated like 'Rock Stars', the food was Excellent. "Never felt so pampered". Definitely for every generation.
The new Hard Rock Riviera Maya is also sure to be a winner!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Pros: pool food was really good
Drink lady goes around pretty often
Must try zen restaurant. Really good. Better than benihanas
Nice kids club facility
Nice Jacuzzi tub in the room with very comfortable bed.
Entertainment in the pool
Theater at night

Cons: not so much for all inclusive when everyone expects tip. And it gets really uncomfortable when they all over do it by just standing there waiting or even chase u down. Its disappointing when they can even give u a 2 hr check out especially teaveling with baby. I guess I will be treated better if I only bought their timeshare membership.
The walls in the room were so thin that u can even hear people walk through the hall ways
Timeshare people hussle hard. You got to go through 7 people just to say No.
And they are all over the resort trying to convience you again or be a member.

Not a kids place. Too many smokers by the pool. It doesn't help when people are going around selling cigars on the beach.
Late check out is only possible depending on your status.they ask for my room number and then I get no for an answer after explaining why its important for me to refrigerate my breast and needed to stayed for another 2 hours before heading to airport. So then I was offered $120 per hour and that's the best they can do. Check out service needs to improve.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy H
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Cindy H,
We thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We appreciate your observations and we have passed them to our management team and we have made proper adjustments to apply corrective measures in order to improve the experience. We are driven by a strong eager to serve and we all at Hard Rock Hotel Cancún we would never ask for remuneration for it in the form of tip, however, a smile is very welcome. We would like you to give us the opportunity to change your perception as we have improved in many forms and it would be our pleasure to make you feel welcome and satisfied. We hope to see you soon.
Love all, serve all.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We arrived Saturday afternoon after having to change planes (6 hours) due to a leak in the water system. We were greeted in the Hard Rock Hotel lobby by Taynia and Chrystian. The Hotel is beautiful and check was smooth. We have been Legendary members since 2011. I can not say enough about the "rock star" treatment that we have received since we arrived. From booking dinner reservations to excursions everything went very smooth. I want to thank Veronica for helping us with all our plans.We are traveling with our friends who are not members and have been treated exceptional. We spent the day at the pool, the kids enjoyed the entertainment and food-tons for kids to do all ages.
I'm looking forward to a great week with all the activities we have planned. I will follow up on Saturday.... Tonight heading to Cia for great Italian food and then cheering on the Patriots!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family