“toes in the water”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cancun
“toes in the water”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

stop looking at any other resort/all inclusive in cancun. book this one now. it was the best week me and my wife have had in years. we really felt like rockstars and were treated like royalty. quality of service and staff was best i had ever seen.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

1 Thank Eric M
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello Eric M! Thanks for your amazing short and sweet review! We are glad to hear that you felt like our staff was the highlight of your stay and made every wishes you had for your vacation come true. Indeed they are the soul of the resort and even with a beautiful décor and scenery, creating royalty rock stories would not be possible without them. We are happy to hear that all you expectations were exceeded and we hope to host you soon on our stage and rock your world upside down once more. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and roll out the red carpet! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-SAVE THE PLANET-

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,600)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We just spent 4 days at the Hard Rock Hotel (Sept 2013). It was really everything that we hoped it would be, we really felt like it lived up to all expectations. We were never hungry, never thirsty, always got everything we needed. Our group was my husband and I and our almost 2 year old son.
-Rooms: They're basically all the same (unless you pay for the suites), you just get a different location. We were in a "diamond" (oceanfront) room, and the view is pretty much awesome. I read reviews about the noise, and yes, there's definitely noise. You can black out the light pretty well, but the noise throughout the day and into the evening is notable. Solution, get a white noise generator on your phone/tablet/laptop whatever. It's the only thing that got us through naptime, but it worked like a champ. If you can't deal with noise, you need to not get an ocean front room.
-Drinks/Bars: service was unilaterally fantastic. drinks were good and tasty, but pretty light. We were pretty sure the margaritas were the only one with much booze in them. Suppose you could always ask for a double if you're looking for more of a buzz, they would certainly oblige, but their standard recipes are pretty weak. Also, the wine is pretty terrible. I tried all of them, the sparkling is ok, but I tried the pinot noir, cabernet sauvignon, and sauvignon blanc (when you order wine at dinner, they bring you a whole bottle and open it for you)...they're not undrinkable, but they're not good. Now, dressed up as a mimosa or a sangria, that was just fine =)
-Food: We ate at every restaurant. There was nothing bad, but some were better than others - these are in order for me. The Italian (Ciao) was by far our favorite, we ate there twice and the food, presentation, and service beat out the others. We ate at Zen for hibachi (and sushi), and that was very tasty with a very good show. The mexican place was awesome - the tamarindo margarita (YUM!!) - a lot more casual. Last, the Brazillian Steakhouse. It's good. The meat is good, the salad was excellent, but it wasn't great. I think we had a new meat girl, so partly I think I downgrade it because I got a lot of well done meat, which is not my preference. Also nearly every meat she brought was described as "beef". Other than dinner, we really enjoyed the Pizza oven for lunch, almost every day, it was great! Breakfast and lunch, you're eating buffets, but really the food was very good and they changed it up frequently. And there was a grill station where you could get anything you can think up. Burger with a fried egg? Huevos Rancheros? Also, the pancake/waffle topping station is impressive. I think we could've stayed a week and not been bored with the food.
-Kids club: It's really as cool as it looks. And shockingly underutilized, at least in september. Waterslides were awesome, we did the character breakfast (what kid doesn't want marshmallows and cupcakes for breakfast, my son loved it...). We went over every day to let him run around and play with trains and blocks. I wish it was more integrated into the resort, you actually have to go out the front door to get to it. But it's huge and it's not that far, but for some reason they don't bring you cocktails at the kiddie pool (I'm kidding).
-Pools: They're awesome. Two swim up bars, never much of a wait, and they have this really shallow pool that was fantastic for my son. The beach was also amazing. Really clean, we stayed in Puerto Morelos last year, and the beach is full of seaweed and just not very nice. This area (hotel zone) has a much nicer beach. It was a little rough for part of our trip, but never so rough that our 2 year old couldnt swim in it (we brought his floatie and held him the whole time, of course!!). Half the time the sea was very calm. I think more to the point, in the morning it's more choppy from parasailing boats that travel the near-in waters constantly and toward the evening when they're not out, it's very calm.
-Resort Credits: We had 5 nights, therefore $1500 on our dealie, this varies. I personally wouldn't try too hard to get lots of credits. You can certainly use them, but let me detail how. First, excursions. Yes, yes, yes. This is a phenomenal deal. The excursions are basically priced like anywhere else, but with credits you only pay 11% of the cost. Our family of 3 got a swim with dolphins package for $43. Chichen Itza or Tulum I think were offered, and an equally good deal. The list is limited though, you can't do Xcaret or Xelha, for example. Also, I got an 80 minute massage for what ultimately cost me $20. That's like a gift. The other things you can spend credits on...RockShots/Photos - Base price is $450 for 30 minutes and 5 prints. They had a romantic dinner on the beach for 2 for $350. They had special tastings and dinners on certain nights only. You can actually spend some on jewelry or sunglasses, you CANNOT get much in the way of actual souvenirs (no hard rock shirts or pins or anything). It's a really good deal. In total, though, we only used like $600 of credits, this is a fantastic deal though, hard to believe.
-Tipping: it's mexico, for the most part, yes, they're looking for tips. We got $50 in ones and another $50 in fives from the bank before we left home. There were actually some staff who were not looking - did not linger for the tip and just ran off. For the most part, though, it's worth slipping someone a buck for excellent service, there's no shortage of it.
-Timeshare/"Legendary Service": I want to mention this as I saw a lot of people complain. This is kind of tied into the resort credits, but not really. So, a day into our trip, some guy calls and tells us he wants to help us spend our resort credits. Cool. By the way, you can just walk down to Vacation Planners and they'll do the same without the speech. But, you wouldn't know that. You can tell him no. But what he's trying to do is set you up with a timeshare speech (I didn't go to the presentation, so I don't actually know what they're selling, I think it's membership at the hard rock resorts). YOU DONT HAVE TO DO THIS TO USE YOUR CREDITS. If you want to do it, they'll give you free excursions, or dinner on the beach, all kind of things. I accidentally went into the legendary doors once, and found dozens of tables lined up with people being pitched on whatever it is. I shuddered and walked out. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. I know that this would've ruined the vacation for my husband, so we didn't. If you want to, then you can get free tours, and that's cool too. This depends on your family and interests...but it would be nice to be aware of it.

Room Tip: ocean side is beautiful but loud, near elevators is loud. low numbers have afternoon sun, high numbe...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank mooseyfate
Hi mooseyfate! Wow! Thank you for you very detailed and tremendous review. We can see that you are a true celebrity and your family was up for the party. We are glad to know that you had a blast and that your toddler as well found his share of fun and enjoyed walking down the red carpet. We hope to welcome you and your family soon on our stage and please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and spoil you rotten! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-ALL IS ONE-
Feltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for one week in September the weather was great and hotel was even better.
It was located on the main strip of hotels 10 min bus ride to the centre of cancun
The hotel was fantastic the room had a 2 person jacuzzi and the beds were really comftable.
Room service really good can order as much as you want off the menu and you can get the mini bar stocked at any time it's all inclusive so free.
The service and standard throughout the hotel was fantastic your never without a drink staff very keen to please you.
The ala carte restaurants and the buffet rest all great the food is to a very high standard.

2 Thank Wayne B
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello Wayne B! Thanks for your short and sweet review! We are glad to hear that our services, scenery and facilities exceeded your Rock Star expectations. We can see that you had a blast! We hope to host you once more to rock your world upside down. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and roll out the red carpet! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-SAVE THE PLANET-
NJ
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The rooms were ok, beds were less then resort quality, to be fair they had just acquired the hotel and were just figuring it all out. The food was not all that good, I ate at all the venues and I was not impressed. My guess is they will and have improved since I stayed but I only have the opinion of when I was there. I guess the worst part was everyone had their hand out for everything, my company paid with all tips included, I guess the employees did not understand this. If you did not tip the service went way down.
The beach was beautiful, should have had more chairs but who cares when it is December and it is that warm and beautiful. So in the end with all it lacked the environment made up for everything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello MEVNJ! Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Indeed, we base our service on our valuable guests’ comments, which keeps us up-to-date with our travelers’ tastes. We would like to clarify that the tips are included in the all-inclusive price and that our staff members treat equally every guests. Nevertheless, we are glad that you enjoyed our décor and magnificent scenery and we hope to host once more on our stage to show you our improvements. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and roll out the red carpet! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-TAKE TIME TO BE KIND-
Yorktown, Virginia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our vacation started out AWFUL! Getting up at 4am..flight leaves at 7:15am only to have engine problems and go NO where! Getting to Cancun that day was a real adventure and not a fun one!!! We managed to check in around 8pm vs 1pm! Waiting for our ride at the airport to take us to the resort took longer than anticipated. I think it was because they considered us a no show from earlier in the day. Check in went really smooth and we were offered a welcome drink. YAY! We arrived on a Saturday night and it was Mexican fiesta night. We dropped the luggage in the room and off we went. The first person we ran into was Pedro!! He was working at the outdoor bar right outside of Frida (the Mexican restaurant). He makes THE best margaritas and he poured me an awesome shot too! He was so friendly and nice. After traveling all day he had exactly what we needed. Frida was our choice for dinner and it was delish! Lemonella was our server and she did an outstanding job. Hot churros with chocolate for dessert too! We had an oceanfront room on the 7th floor and it was more than sufficient for us. It was too bad the weather wasn't great that week but I think it made us spend more time at the pizza oven located outside. Jesus is the bomb when it comes to making pizza. We tried several pizzas but the margherita pizza was my favorite. I always wished Jesus had more help as he was very BUSY!!! We loved the fish that was offered every day at lunch also. Monica and Cynthia were great in the spa. It's always nice to be pampered. We went to the chefs dinner (offered on Thursday night) and although the food was good and everyone was very pleasant it seemed a bit outdated and awkward. I personally would not recommend this dinner to others but obviously some folks really enjoy it. We went deep sea fishing that week with Aquaworld and brought our catch back to the resort. The chef met with us and discussed how would we like the fish prepared and in which restaurant as well as the time. They presented our special fish dinner with all the bells and whistles attached. Everything was just perfect. We ate in Ciao several times for Italian and then two different special dinners. Chef Francisco, the manager Loie, Romero, Mario and Jose were on spot and gracious with us for each of our dinners. Carlos made a superb Mayan coffee too. Humberto entertained us at the grill in Zen one evening also. We are members and we love all the employees and how hard they work with all the extra things everyone does to make our vacation better than the one before. The Brazilian restaurant, Ipanema was excellent and Alfonso was very attentive. The salad and the cheesy bread that was on the table was to die for! The chicken and fish were perfect. We didn’t watch any of the shows but several in our group did and they enjoyed the ones that they did see. Joss the food/bev manager spent some time talking with us and really made us feel welcomed. Liz the concerige was very helpful. We have special friends (Carolina, Ro and Joaquin) that work there also and being able to see them made our vacation even more special. The beach at Hard Rock Cancun is just gorgeous. We sat on the beach every day and there was always someone around to assist us with an umbrella when needed. The drink service on the beach was top notch also. There was a lot of activity around the Smash Bar in the lobby every day. One day they lined the bar with over 100 pineapple drinks (in the pineapple) for everyone to have. Lots of vibe and lots going on. Loved the music. This is def a high energy place!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators. Like in any hotel they have the potential to be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank gottavaca
Hello gottavaca! Wow! Thanks for your amazing review. We are sorry to hear that you had a bad start with the airline company, but we are just extremely glad to hear that Hard Rock Hotel Cancun gave you just what you needed upon arrival, until your last minute with us. We would like to thank you for the many mentions to our staff members who ROCKED at making you feel like royalty; be sure we will let them know they did a tremendous job. We are glad that you enjoyed our stage and magnificent scenery and we hope to host you once more to rock your world upside down. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and roll out the red carpet! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-All is one-
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from September 21 through September 28. Quality of service is poor. We have been Palace Premier members for 12 years and have come to expect the highest level of service, which we have received continuously the past 12 years. You could sit most days by the pools or beach 1-2 hours without anyone waiting on you. The best service we received was at the Brazilian restaurant and was provided by Damian and Carlos. Damian's experience with customers and providing service was phenomenal! Alfonso provided exceptional service in the Italian restaurant. Service in the Market restaurant was disappointing. Grill chefs were the highlight of this restaurant. Housekeeping provided a tremendous job of cleaning our room and being friendly. Room service was excellent, bell boys were prompt and courteous.

Room Tip: Ocean view is the only way to go!
2 Thank Cancun-Beach-Lovers
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Hi Cancun-Beach-Lovers, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy that even though we missed our mark in our service at the beach and pools your overall experience was good and felt exceptional service from the rest of the staff at our restaurants and from housekeeping, bell boys and room service, they rock. Regarding the service at the pools and beach we have shared your comments with our management to ensure the staff is on the same beat! We hope we can welcome you again soon. Keep the Hard Rock memories!
ALL IS ONE
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went to Hard Rock Cancun in June and had a fabulous time. The food selection was outstanding as well as the alcohol selection. The room was very clean and the view was spectacular. The beach was always clean and beautiful and the water was great. I like that everythinh is so close to eacother as well. Would definitely recommend for the price!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karendom
Émanuelle L, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hi Karendom! Wow thank you for your fabulous short and sweet review! We can see that you had a blast and enjoyed your Rock Star experience. We are glad to hear that you recommend us and we would like to thank your for it. We hope to be able to host your on our stage once more. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and spoil you rotten! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-ALL IS ONE-