“Solicited to visit for an all day 'all inclusive' day Pass, then had to indure a sales pitch.”

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Ranked #9 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Chelan, Washington
Reviewed June 26, 2013

While staying at a different local in Cancun, we walked by the Hard Rock Hotel. On the street we were approached by Rudy, who promised us an ALL DAY 'all inclusive' day pass just to walk in and visit the property. He also promised us a massage and pedicure. So....(shame on us) we "bit"....and made plans to visit the next morning at 9:00 a.m. We arrived on time and Rudy was not there to meet us like he promised, so another kind man showed us in. We were promptly taken to a Property/Vacation sales representative. she was kind (until we said we weren't purchasing)....we told her we were told we just needed to VISIT the property & take a short tour to get our free day pass etc. She said she "had to do her job" and take us through the entire sales pitch process, when that ended and we still said 'NO' then we were handed off to her sales manager, whom we also said NO to...even when he tried to sweeten the deal, then once again, as we were led to the person who could help us get our 'day pass' ~ this person AGAIN tried to sell us on a shorter 'one-time' vacation. Once again, we said 'No' ~ FINALLY we were taken to the real person who could indeed give us our cert. to obtain a day pass and free massage/pedicure. At this time we had to find our own way back through the very large hotel to the front of the hotel to find a kind employee who could then give us this said 'Day Pass' and paper for massage/pedi. Then were told to go to the spa to schedule the services. Once at the spa....of course they had no openings for such services. :( After standing at the counter and NOT giving up, they told us to return in an hour and half and maybe they could 'work us in'. :( We visited the changing room to put our suits on...unfortunately my husband left his hat in the men's room, when he realized that and went back to get it....of course it had been stolen. Spent the afternoon trying to relax in the huge crowded pool area...(once we were finally able to find 2 lounges together) we did return to the spa, my husband finally got his massage and enjoyed it. I however, was told to once again, 'come back' in one hour and we'll try to get you in. I returned, sat in the waiting room for 35 min. then finally got a great little pedicure from a nice gal. (it wasn't HER fault we'd gotten the run around). We spent the rest of the afternoon in the pool area...(beach lounges were too full) and enjoyed a dinner at the Mexican restaurant on site. We left that eve. totally convinced we would NOT ever go to stay at a HARD ROCK HOTEL. Not saying the rooms weren't lovely and the restaurants weren't quality, but we'd had enough of the BIG RESORT run around. Way tooooo big & crowded. Nothing personable about it. We were happy to return to our smaller all inclusive Adult resort to finish our vacation, and wished we hadn't wasted a DAY of our trip here at the Hard Rock. :(
Long story short: Shame on US for falling into the sales pitch 'rat race'. The solicitors out front of the hotel need to TELL people what they are IN for, if they come for the freebies: Nothing is ever really free, be prepared for the high pressured sales process if you stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KJR4
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Hi KJR4, thanks for your review. We are sad to learn that you did not love your day-pass visit to our resort. We apologize if you felt you were being pressured by our sales team in some way, they do offer takeaways to visitors for attending to the property tour and sales presentation. And we apologize for any misunderstanding in this regards we passed you comments to our Sales Director. Regarding the waiting time for your spa and beauty salon treatments, as you may already know, the Spa is one of the hot spots and it is on high demand, our rockers book their appointments in advance, thus the need to wait until they can make some room for our dear visitors and we are sorry if this caused any nuisance. We hope you come back soon and stay longer to enjoy all 5 restaurants, pools, activities and the great vibe. And we will provide you with the full Rock star experience! ALL IS ONE

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,536)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just got back from a great vacation in Cancun (June 19th-25th). It did not take long before I knew what I wanted to share with others who were coming here, like myself, for the first time. I read through all the reviews from the past six months and made mental notes of the things people complained about so I would be prepared. I am happy to say, I did NOT experience those things. Maybe it was because the management made some changes based on the comments or maybe it was because I came here choosing to have a different perspective from the beginning. I am going to bullet point items to make it easier to remember and to help with the things you may want to know before arriving.

AIRPORT (Cancun):

This is not a clean airport. Either use the bathroom on the plane or hold it till you reach your destination. We had a late arrival (8:30 pm) and zoomed through customs. Literally took us about fifteen minutes max.

• When you make it through customs you will come to a hallway that separates you from your vacation. This hallway is filled with individuals all wearing the same color shirt and looking official. RUN through them and DO NOT make eye contact or answer any questions. These are people trying to sell you timeshares.

HOTEL:

We arrived hungry and wanted to find the Market Place Restaurant. I stopped a hotel employee who was hard at work and asked for directions. He did better, he stopped what he was doing and escorted us all the way to the restaurant. I knew from this moment we were in good hands.

• There is a green and red light system to let the maid know you are ready to have your room cleaned. Great system, wish more hotels had this system.

• Room service for anything and they even follow up with a call to make sure you got your request.

• IMPORTANT: There is a doctor on call 24 hrs a day at the hotel. He is not with the hotel and you will need to pay him separately for any services. Unfortunately, I got to know him well as I cut my foot and needed his services. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of treatment you get there.

• I RARELY heard any noise when I was in my room. I never once heard the shower from the room next door. We had a 4th floor Lagoon view room with a large balcony. Though I am sure the ocean view rooms have an incredible view, we were never in our room enough during the day to benefit from having the view.

• Hit the restaurants around 6:00 so you will not have to wait for a table. All restaurants are delicious. I recommend everyone ordering a different appetizer and then sharing. Also, be sure to sit at a table one night in ZEN. You will have a full menu of items not available when you sit at one the hibatchi grills.

• We had a late flight out of Cancun and the hotel gave us a day pass to continue our vacation while they held our luggage until the time to catch our 1:54 a.m. flight. All amenities, bars and restaurants were available to us. Now that is a hotel thats wants us to return!

STAFF:

Remember what I said about perspective? I got to know several of the employees and asked a lot of questions. Questions that I think will come in handy for you when assessing the level of services. When I asked them who treats them better between the old Palace management and the new Hard Rock management, they unanimously said the Hard Rock management.

• The staff works six days a week and gets one day off. Now think about that when you see how hard they work and how hot it is outside where many of them spend a large amount of their time working. Wow, they have such great work ethics and they do it with a smile, sense of humor and an eagerness to make you feel special. This attention MORE than makes up for any weathering the hotel may show.

• Bring about $100 or more in one dollar bills for tipping. Yes, tips are included in your price but you know as well as I know that the employees are getting paid an hourly wage that is most likely well below what they would make in tips. But they still do it with eagerness to please. Employees I tipped said thank you with the most sincere look in their eyes. They really appreciate even the small gesture.

• Get to know the hotel employees, they are really great people and will be excited to see you each day.

• GO SEE THE SHOWS!!! All the shows in the amphitheater were first-class and the acts were all amazing. I did not expect this level of talent.

CONS:

These cons can be said about most places. My cons are NOT about the hotel but rather from some of their guests. There were those select few who thought they were ENTITLED to being treated more special than others and the parents who paid NO ATTENTION to their kids at the pool and in restaurants, …they were my only complaints.

Even having a cut foot and not being able to do all the things I wanted, at the level I am accustomed, and the people I referred to above, this place still allowed my family to have a great vacation and I HIGHLY recommend it.

FAMILIES WITH SMALL CHILDREN:

If you have small children, consider waiting a couple of years so that you can FULLY enjoy what the hotel has to offer. But if you do bring young children, please be responsible and make sure they are not splashing other guests who are trying to relax or jumping out in front of the wait staff where they might get stepped on.

• One thing you can enjoy with small children is the Sub and Snorkel tour from Aqua World and you can even use your credit to pay for this outing. The sub is a top-water boat with a deep v-hull where you go down into and they drive right through different parts of the coral reef giving you great views of colorful fish and sea turtles.

• You can also take a hot walk down the sidewalk along the main road and look for wild igquanas (grey in color). We saw several on our walk.

• Have them keep their heads above the water level. Way too many people drinking constantly and never getting out to use the restroom. Get the picture? Then shower off really good.

CREDITS:

We did not use all our credits and if you think about the credits with the right perspective, the 11% fee is dirt cheap compared to all the stuff you get to do and take advantage of.

• Use your some of your credits to get that family beach picture you always wanted.

4 Thank BrtArt22
Alejandro M, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Hello BrtArt22! Wow what a great review! Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback and your input for your fellow travelers. We are thrilled to know that you had a VIP celebrity treatment and that our staff was the highlight of your stay. Indeed they are the soul of our resort and make your rock history a double platinum hit! We hope to host you back on our stage and roll out the red carpet for you once more. Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and spoil you rotten! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-ALL IS ONE-
Strum your Air Guitar
Ft Worth
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just returned from Hard Rock Cancun with my family and friends. We have been to Cancun several times and have stayed at this resort when it was Cancun Palace. Upon arrival we were greeted by the staff for an immediate check in. We were in our rooms with our bags, within 20 minutes. The safe was broken but it was fixed within 30 minutes. We can't say enough good things about the service we received, especially from the Concierge, Manuel, and pool Concierge, Leo Trejo. They were both awesome!!!! They were always available and no request was to much for them. We also received great service from my poolside bartender buddy, "Big Pedro" and main bar Angel. These guys go out of their way to serve you, and always smiling when they do their job!
If I had a complaint, it would be about the housekeeping. We were constantly having to call for more towels, in some cases the rooms were cleaned but no towels were left in the room.
Yes the rooms are loud, but you are in Cancun and visitors are going to party. Unfortunately the hotel, nor staff have control of individuals slamming doors.
All in all a memorable trip and look forward to our return. We would stay at Hard Rock again in a second.

1 Thank Mike S
Alejandro M, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Hello Mike S! Thanks for your great feedback! We are glad to hear that you had a blast and enjoyed our facilities and services. Indeed our staff is the soul of our resort and we are thrilled to hear that they made your rock story a double platinum hit! Thank you for the various mentions to some of our star staff members, they will be ecstatic to know that they rocked! We hope to host you soon again! Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and roll out the red carpet! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!

-LOVE ALL SERVE ALL-
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I just got back from the Hard Rock Resort and had a blast!!! Everyone was so nice and eager to please. The maids are amazing our room was so clean everyday. All of the bartenders are so nice but one really sticks out in my opinion. If you go to this resort stop by the smash bar in the evenings and see Julian. He is so funny and he makes delicious drinks. Everyone at the Hard Rock made us feel so welcome. We are bringing our kids back next year because the pools are awesome and there is such a wide selection of food so everyone can eat what they like. Already counting the days until we return :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TIFFANY4919
Alejandro M, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Hello TIFFANY4919! Thanks for your great review! We are happy to hear that you had a blast and that our staff was the highlight of your stay! Be sure we will let Julian know that he rocked! But overall, knowing that you were welcome on our stage like family is just incredible as every staff member is the key to making our guests’ rock story a double platinum hit! We are glad that you will be back with your kids and hope they will enjoy being little rock stars in The Little Big Club! Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and spoil you rotten! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-LOVE ALL SERVE ALL-
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This rating is 2.5 stars, graded down due to the poor condition of the resort and crumbling infrastructure. The resort was below average – seldom good, and sometimes terrible.

By way of background, we [wife, 2 kids] travel to AI resorts twice per year -- since 2005. Jamaica, Mexico and Punta Cana are our destinations of choice. We always stay at family-friendly resorts, such as Iberostar, Palace, RIU, Dreams/NOW and Ocean Resorts. We have stayed at the Cancun Palace / HardRock Cancun twice – the 1st time in 2010.

We will not return to this resort as there are better choices in the area for less money.

I’ll start with the very good -- The entertainment staff rocks! Kevin, Angel, Kika [Erica], John Paul, PSY, Natasha, Bernie – all passionate, enthusiastic employees and excellent at what they do – entertain the guests. They are a credit to the resort.

The service at the restaurants and poolside was also very good. Jessica – the sushi Queen at Zen [Asian] was great, as was Adolpho and Carlos serving in the Market. Manuel, Wilberth and Pedro at the pool bar [loud side] were the best. Overall, the service was good, but not as good as was experienced at other resorts in Cancun.

The food is slightly better than most AIs. That said, if you are a foodie – my advice is to stay away from all AI resorts, as you will surely be disappointed. The Buffet was good – best omelet chef I have ever experienced. Had some items I liked, some I didn't. We ate at the Asian [Zen] twice – both good. At the hibachi tables the chefs put on quite a show, and the food was very good.

The Mexican concept [Frieda] was…interesting. We also ate there twice. 1st night – it was outstanding; truly restaurant quality food and drinks. Service was tight -- a great experience all around. However, just two nights later -- disaster. It was the worst meal I have ever experienced at any resort. Slow / apathetic service, cold food / bad food and bad drinks. It was disgraceful. The explanation was that there was a private party at the outside [premium] area of the restaurant, and it clearly received all of the special service and attention of the management, chefs and staff.

And speaking of management – never saw them. Does the resort have managers? The best resorts we have visited have management that is not only visible, but regularly interacts with their guests. All I ever saw were HRC staff – mostly hard working and dedicated, and many [and I mean MANY] time share sales persons escorting guests they had captured.

As a note – the introduction “informational” meeting upon check-in is designed to be not so much informational as it is to ensure that you attend the introduction breakfast – at which point you will be captured by a high pressure sales person for hours and hours. And for what – additional resort credits you probably won’t [can’t] even use? If you choose to visit this resort, and you are encouraged to attend this meeting, think carefully before you agree, as you are being set up for a high-pressure sales experience.

Now for the bad – the cleaning crews are severely understaffed. Most days, our room was still not cleaned at 5:30 pm – the time we returned from the beach /pool. Needless to say, we were not in a position to wait, and on those days, our room didn’t get cleaned. It wasn't the maid’s fault, as it seemed she was simply overwhelmed. In any case, it sucks not to have your room cleaned daily at an expensive resort.

As mentioned, the resort infrastructure is in BAAAD shape. On 2 different occasions [during a rain storm], we witnessed large chunks of the ceiling fall onto the floor in the buffet – almost striking a table. We saw water dripping from the ceiling, falling directly onto food items in the buffet [imagine wet, nasty churros.] Also streams of water dripping through the light fixtures in the store display cases made me very uncomfortable.

Our room had issues as well. Problems with the door, the master electronic control [for the lights and A/C], the safe, the TV, the loo... Minor issues are to be expected, but there were simply too many maintenance problems to be acceptable. This is especially true when they cause you to wait around in the room until maintenance arrives, which was never prompt. Additionally, the Wi-Fi service -- although free, is the worst I have ever experienced – anywhere. Slower than the old dial-up connections.

Sadly, the resort is old and showing its age. A ¼ mile walk on the beach in either direction demonstrates just how ancient the HardRock appears compared to the newer, more elegant resorts that surround it.

There are better choices in Cancun -- caveat emptor, Amigos.

1 Thank abujack
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear abujack,
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your last visit to our resort in this important forum. First of all let me offer you an apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay, we regret that we didn’t give the experience you were hoping for. Regarding the inconveniences you mentioned about the water damage in the resort, it is worth mentioning that we were hit by an atypical massive rainstorm, The National Water Commission (CONAGUA) reported that 203.3 mm [8.004 in.] of rain fell solely on the city of Cancun during the first two days of June as a result of a low pressure system that severely affected the entire area of Cancun and the Riviera Maya we were no exception and like many hotels the damage became evident,( lights, Wi-Fi, balcony doors, etc) however we are glad that our maintenance team work immediately to repair any damage throughout the resort and in your room to make your stay more comfortable during this weather event and we apologize for any discomfort this may have caused you.
Allow me to say that we feel our pricing is comparable to similar properties in the area and we feel we provide good value given our central location and broad facilities and top-notch service. We regret that this was not your impression and offer our apologies.
Regarding your comments about our management, they are always available for our valued guests, and we are sorry you did not notice them; they are always supervising their areas and interacting with our rockers.
Nevertheless we are happy that there were many crew members that made your stay more enjoyable; our staff is the heart and soul of this resort and they will be very happy to know that their long effort pays off. Thank you so much for mentioning their names, we will let them know they made the difference during your stay.
Again please accept our honest apologies and we hope we can change any negative perception you may have in a future stay and give you a true rock star experience and roll out the red carpet to welcome you to Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
LOVE ALL SERVE ALL
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. Service is really good, but housekeeping sucked for me. I had to call and write notes in order for my room to be cleaned properly. Everyone else in my party had a good experience though. The food was just ok, but it's never great at all inclusive resorts. They pool and beach are amazing! Rooms are on the small side. If you're booking here for the night life (since it is the Hard Rock) you'll be greatly disappointed! No casino our clubs in the hotel. At night, everyone just goes to bed bc there's nothing to do. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2013
Alejandro M, Customer Care Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi SIMONE L! We would like to thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that overall you had a nice stay. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced with the housekeeping service. Be assured that we passed on your comment to our management team and various key people as we always strive to give the best rock star experience to our valuable guests. As for the nightlife, we would like to mention that gambling is not permitted by law in Mexico; therefore, it is the reason why we only have a nightclub opened until 2 am and a the Smash Bar with live music opened until 1 am for those who do not feel like dancing. We are happy to know that you loved our beautiful scenery. We hope to be able to host you again on our stage and show you our improvements! Please do not hesitate to contact us to help you plan your next trip and roll out the red carpet! Stay tuned on our official website for future shows, promotions and more!
-SAVE THE PLANET-
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the HR and a fabulous time was had by all. It is located on a beautiful stretch of beach and only a short bus ride to town for local food, arts & crafts as well as the upscale stores of Louis Vuitton and Gucci. I felt I was at a 5 Star hotel by the impeccable service and delicious cuisine. The staff went above and beyond to make your stay the best that it could be.!!! There's something to do for all ages, so feel comfortable bringing the whole family. The kids club had an attentive staff and the characters (Bob the Builder- Barney- Angelina the Ballerina) come by for a visit. The nightly entertainment was great and there was always something to do. Our rooms were beautifully appointed and each had a large shower and a separate jacuzzi tub in the room! We had turn down service in the room twice a day.!!! One last note, as I walked along the beach, all the other hotels seemed to be vacant while the HR was alive with music and guests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 3kbyrnes
Thank you for your review 3kbyrnes, we are glad you loved the hotel vibe and style; it was made thinking of rockers like you. and we do have fun for the whole family, the little ones have their own stage at the kids club and lots of fun activities with the staff, while mom and dad can relax at the spa or just indulge at the different bars, if you are up for some shopping, we are minutes away of the shopping malls and downtown, indeed a sweet deal for many rockers who want to live the real Cancun deal! As you noticed we are always rocking the show! Come back soon and let´s rock together! SAVE THE PLANET.