“Hard Rock lacked the Rock!”

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Ranked #9 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, IL
“Hard Rock lacked the Rock!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Let me begin by stating that this hotel was once Cancun Palace and owned by Palace Resort of 0which I am a happy member. My family visits Cancun annually and stays with Palace everytime. As Palace Members we were "grandfathered" in sort of speak, but this is the first time we have actually STAYED at this location. We usually just hang out at this location. It just so happend that as of the end of 2012 the hotel had converted to the Hard Rock Hotel. Overall the stay was ok. It definetly was not the "Palace Way." New staff, Spring Break (very crowded) and 2 HUGE groups of incredibley RUDE South Americans made this trip boarderline at best. Even with the transformation of this hotel from Palace to Hard Rock this hotel is begining to show signs of normal wear and tear. It's time for some REAL constructions renovations. The rude Spring Break crowds brought drama such as pool chair stealing, cutting lines and as a African American Family, rude children who refused to play with others who didn't look like them. My room was not cleaned once. I tried to move to Beach Palace up the street which is where we usually stay but they were booked. So we just hung out down there instead and would go back to Hard Rock at days end. Some of the staff were great, like our conceirge "Gus" but this was far and few in between. Since I have the option of staying at a Palace Resort vs. Hard Rock when I visit Cancun in the future, I would definetly pick a Palace - Particularly Beach Palace.

5 Thank brooksfam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,604)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We vacationed at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun from March 27-April 3. We couldn't have been happier with our stay. We have travelled to Mexico and the Caribbean for the 13 years so that you know what kind of travelers we are and that this wasn't our first trip to Mexico. We stayed in an All-Inclusive Deluxe Family Oceanview Suite - it was amazing and the view was outstanding. My children are 7, 10, and 12. Perfect amount of space for all of us – the adjoining rooms are the way to go!

First off I would definitely rate this hotel as a 5 star. My husband and I love to travel and we enjoy staying in nice hotels. Anyone who says this place is average or that the food is mediocre must be impossible to please. In the 13 years of travelling each year to Mexico or the Caribbean I have never had better tasting or better variety of food at an all-inclusive resort! From the room service, sit down restaurants, to the buffets there was something for everyone – if you went hungry or couldn’t find something you like you are just plain picky. Our favorite was the hibachi restaurant. The breakfast buffet was very good pretty typical selections. There was brick fired pizza every day by the pool along with a buffet outside that had a good assortment along with the usual hamburgers, hot dogs, French fries. Both my husband and kids thought the hamburgers were the best they have ever had!

The nightly shows were quite good – we only watched the Michael Jackson, Breakdancing, and the fire show. Michael Jackson and the Breakdancing shows were awesome my kids were in awe and so were my husband and I. Not half as cheesy as other resorts I have been to!

I could write all day about Hard Rock Hotel Cancun it was a great hotel and what really makes this hotel stand out is the service. The staff was so eager to please. We will go back for sure! Even though we were there at the height of Spring Break week the service was great. The hotel was operating at full capacity. We knew in advance going this time of year we may have to wait in line, get up early for a chair etc. That’s what happens when you vacation when the entire US is on Spring Break!! :)

My only complaint would be the vacation planners and the timeshare people. The people at the timeshare place flat out lied to us and you had to drag information out of the vacation planners and they weren't that friendly but this small thing wouldn't stand in the way of me giving the resort as a whole a great rating.

Please feel free to write me any questions and enjoy your stay!!!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view room which was amazing!!!
12 Thank ChrissyJudge
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear ChrissyJudge, thank you for a five star epic score, we love it! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy our unique and spacious rooms, loved the variety of restaurants and even better that you became a raving fan of the Zen restaurant! Our crew is the soul of our resort and we know that our Hard Rockers provided you the royal treatment and left great memories of this visit. We look forward to welcome you again and rock your next vacations here at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
Woodhaven, Michigan
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just stayed here with my husband, 14 year old son and his friend.
Hotel was formerly the cancun palace and we stayed here under that management too

They did an excellent job on the Hard Rock decor throughout. Food during the day is average poolside food. Dinner food is very good especially the Zen restaurant. Room service menu is very limited but if your not picky, it will suffice.
Live bands were below average and considering it is a Hard Rock, this was disappointing
Overall, the property has a lot of energy but for the money a lot to be desired.
Ton of potential but fun place for a group of friends with average expectations.
We had room issues that management failed to address on two occasions so be prepared to live and let live while you are there because it is what it is.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank kochpenny
Hello kochpenny, thank you for your comments. We are happy to hear you enjoy staying with us and liked our unique style and décor. Thanks again for your feedback we always appreciate comments from our rockers so we can serve you better. However, despite any conveniences we are glad you had an overall awesome trip! And we look forward to welcome you like royalty and rock your world only here at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun. Rock on!
TAKE TIME TO BE KIND
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was the first trip back since changing to the HRH (3/15-3/22/13). We had previously stayed at the Cancun palace five times over the years and loved it. The HRH was a bit of a disappointment. I found the resort a little cheesy and cheap looking. There was only one bar in the lobby open at night and it was so crowded and loud. When I go to Mexico for a vacation and want that atmosphere. If I wanted the American theme I would have gone to the HRH in Vegas. The staff was wonderful as usual. The staff is one of the reason I always chose the Palaces for my Mexican vacations. The spa was wonderful, by far the best massage I have ever had. We ate Rita's Mexican restaurant several nights and on the last night the most amazing person named Oscar made me a Banana's Foster for my 25th anniversary. I was telling him that when I first came to the Palace(in1998) they made this for me. I had looked forward to having it again for years. It was not on the menu and he surprised me by making it the night before we left.
We were there during Spring break and there were small children everywhere. We were told when I booked the concierge level that there were no children on that floor..We had crying babies across the hall from us every night except one. My husband and I have had wonderful memories throughout the years at Cancun Palace but now its time to move on. We are Palace members and have been to almost all of the resorts. PlayaCar is one of our favorite. Check in was much easier then in the past and we did get to check in early. This resort is great for families but you may want to consider one of the couple's only if you are going on vacation for rest and relaxation. Again, the staff is the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TammyM788
Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have recently returned from our spring vacation at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun and cannot find the words to express what a wonderful time we were able to spend there. We traveled as a multigenerational family (my husband, and I, my two daughters, and my in-laws). This is our first stay since the hotel changed brands from Cancun Palace (we are Palace Premier VIP members) to Hard Rock and we were somewhat concerned about the possible repercussions of the change on the quality of service and the overall experience. Shortly after check-in, our worries quickly dissipated. From the moment of our arrival, the bell boy staff, especially Johnny and Sammy, ensured that we felt welcome.

Although the hotel was at full capacity due to spring break, we experienced the same excellent quality of service we have always been able to enjoy each time we visit. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome. The hotel has maintained the same standards of cleanliness and attention to detail we have been able to experience during previous stays.

Staff members at the Hard Rock are warm and friendly. Our presidential suite was thoroughly taken care of each morning and each evening by Sara Zunum Morales and Franci Zabala and they ensured that we had plenty of towels and our room smelled fantastic each night. Whenever we had to call for any housekeeping related matters, our requests were promptly responded to.

The food quality and customer care continue to be outstanding. There is available room service 24/7 and the quality of the food is exceptional. The Market Restaurant continues to provide an excellent array of choices for the whole family and provides all guests with the opportunity to choose from freshly made omelets during breakfast, steaks, shrimp Styr Fry, burgers, etc. during lunch and dinner. Our special thanks to Hector Velazquez at The Market for all the delicious meals he delivered to us and for his warm and friendly treatment. Additional thanks to Cesar Cifuentes, Carlos Morones, Esther Rios, Uriel Merida, and Lucy Dzib. Outside by the pool area there are also plenty of options to choose to include brick oven pizzas, delicious Paella, hamburgers, nachos, hamburgers, hot dogs, tacos al pastor, etc. A special thanks to Amy for her superior customer service and serving our drinks at the pool area. Frida’s (the Mexican restaurant) has excellent choices with again, exceptional customer service, our thanks to Beatriz Alegria, who has been taken excellent care of us since our first visit as a family over 5 years ago and thanks to Cesar Paat Chin for his excellent service and delicious Mayan coffee accompanied by a wonderful show to demonstrate the manner in which the coffee is prepared, right in front of our table !!! Also thanks to Erick Adrian Torres for taking care of us. To the guys at Ciao (Italian Restaurant), Virgilio Nava, Enrique Garcia, Luis Nava, you guys make us feel like family and always take care of us as such. Virgillio Nava, you are simply the best !! And we always look forward to see you every time we visit. And who can forget our wonderful chef Wilbert, who always made sure that our meals were nothing but the best !! Thanks, Wilbert !!

The hotel experience is further enriched by the wonderful services and staff at the hotel spa. Thanks so much to Marlen, Gladis, Cintia Karen Rodriguez Dominguez, and Doris for the excellent pedicures, facials, massages, and body wraps !! And up at theSpa front desk, thanks to Jess Lopez, Richie Romero, and Daniela Najera for always making sure that our busy Spa treatments were scheduled accordingly and for the great amount of patience to make changes when needed :-)

Lastly, we will forever be grateful for the warmth, friendliness, and dedication of Mr. Miguel Becerra, Follow-up Department Manager for the Hard Rock Legendary Program and his lovely wife. He definitely went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was memorable. Miguel is a true professional that would stop at nothing to ensure that his customers’ every needs and wants are not only met, but exceeded. You made our family feel extremely special !!

We cannot wait till our next visit !!

8 Thank Wanda C
Greetings Wanda C, from your friends in Cancun! Wow! we truly appreciate your awesome review; Thank you very much for sharing your fabulous experience with us, and for taking the time to mention so many of our staff members, we will let each of them know that they rocked your world! Were so happy to know that even though you were a bit concerned about the quality of our service, we hit our mark and raised the bar!
We can’t wait for you to come back and make you feel at home and roll out the red carpet, give you the royal treatment and spoil you rotten in your next visit to Hard Rock Hotel Cancun!
Colorado
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The HRH Cancun was disappointing. Stayed there 5 nights from 3/20- 25. More hype than substance & just mediocre. It is just average by comparison to many other all inclusive properties and is certainly not a 5 star resort. The amenities of a 5 star such a game room, cigar bar, multiple lounges and such are absent. The entertainment is almost non-existent by standards of other resorts.

The best part of this hotel is the employees who all work very hard- they are pleasant and always smiling. The check-in was not as painful as others have described. We had no wait and the process took maybe 10 minutes, where we were given a cold drink, carnation and cold towel. Our assigned room was not what was requested and corrected at check-in without even asking.

Our room on the 7th floor was very small with a nice side view of the beach and pool. The jacuzzi was in the bathroom which we preferred. We did have a larger than average covered porch (by this properties standards) with 2 plastic chairs and a table. There was a king bed, bedside tables, a small dresser/desk combo but no chairs or other furnishings. So eating and lounging was done on the bed or porch.

When we checked in the room was spotless. Over the week it was cleaned daily but attention to detail was not there. From the second day there were muddy smears on the tile near the entry door that were still there at checkout, the bedside rugs had lint- so it appeared the floors were not washed or vacuumed. Our room was pretty loud even with doors closed from hallway noise and pool noise at all hours except early morning. A suggestion would be if you are giving flowers to have a bud vase in the rooms to put flowers in. It would also be nice to have a few packaged snacks in the room such as chips, cookies or nuts. You don't always want or need room service for just a quick snack.

When you need something that is missing such as towels, room service, fridge stocked and you call, they are pretty prompt with the request and someone does call the room to be sure you have been taken care of. We had some issues such as the slider lock fall off and the key electric control falling off and they were promptly addressed. We did call for tray pickup several times and put the tray outside the door. On 2 occasions the tray sat for up to 12 hours.

The hotel overall is clean. But as the hotel became fully booked the staff could obviously not keep up throughout the day. Hand prints on glass doors, dishes around the pool/common areas, stuff on floors, kid pool area furniture still in the pools at 10 am...

The pool is small for the number of guests at the resort and everything said about the chair race everyday is true and there is very little shade. We are early risers so by putting down towels and leaving our bag on loungers before breakfast at 7am we did always have a place to sit at 7:30. The pool is VERY crowded and VERY loud. It is difficult to nap or rest as the chairs are lined up side by side and other guests coming and going right next to you. It was spring break and there was a large number of high school age spring breakers there with no apparent adult supervision. By staying at the spa side of the pool though we avoided the chaos at the other pool bar. The pool bar staff are all very nice, remember to tip them as they work hard! The beach is nice and very clean. We were not able to enjoy the beach because of wind and blowing sand which may be why the pool is so crowded. Because of the wind staff would not allow the pool umbrellas to be up several days which is understandable but makes for sunburn! The shade issues need to be addressed. And the music choices are not what expected- mostly techno, not rock and roll. The entertainment crew seems to cater more to the younger crowd than the older guests. I would not go during peak times like spring break.

Food and beverage. The food goes from good to horrible depending on where and what you eat.

Breakfast. The Marketplace buffet reminds me of a cafeteria. The buffet area is smallish and makes for chaos with guests jockeying for a place at the buffet. Breakfast is the exact same thing every day- there is no variety and appears that there is some "recycling" of items from the previous night such as potatoes and broccoli. Unlike many higher end resorts, there were very few "home baked" items- one day there were some muffins and croissants, another day donuts but never saw those again. Bagels, wheat and white bread. Egg sensitivity kept me from eating eggs at the omelet station as the eggs did not appear to be refrigerated. The staff tries to keep up with keeping the buffet area cleaned up from dropped food and cross use of serving spoons in other dishes but falls short. The seating area for the size of the resort is small. We ate outside 4 of 5 mornings because the first day my husband got a headache from the paint fumes from overnight painting nearby.

Lunch. The best meal of the day. The pool buffet is decent but again the same food everyday- baked fish, tossed lettuce, buttered bow tie pasta, burgers, dogs, steaks and fries. MX is available but is just ok- pretty bland. The pizza is pretty good but be sure to ask for well cooked pizza.

Dinner. We ate at the "rodizio" style place. Passable but the meats are luke warm and tough. The side dishes are unremarkable. Our waiters were very nice which made for a pleasant evening. We ate the Seafood buffet at Marketplace- just average. There was a "salad" bar but no lettuce- I did ask for lettuce and they brought a few pieces to make a salad. The Asian is a good place to eat- ate there 3 nights. The hibachi is fun- the food was good but the steak was tough. The other nights we ate from the menu and found it satisfactory but nothing outstanding. Could not get into the Italian- wait very long but other guests said it was average.

After Dinner. Very disappointing. The only lounge is indoors, low ceilings, tile floors, little seating, VERY loud with piped in music and lots of younger guests who have had way too much to drink. There is no outside lounge for an after dinner drink, coffee or dessert. No fire pit or music for enjoying the outdoors. There are some tables near the MX restaurant where you can take a drink from inside and sit. One night a waiter from the MX place did come by the table and ask if we wanted anything- the only time in 5 nights though.

Room Service. Had lunch one day on our porch, decent club sandwich and burger. Rest were snacks.

Drinks. HRH is about the drinks. There is no swill, all brand name, top shelf. The drinks are good and if you don't want a strong drink advise the bartender!

We are not Palace or HRH members. We did not have any "credits" to spend. Received a call the first morning to come down to learn how to spend our credits- told them we didn't have any- maybe this is why we did not have a schedule of entertainment or tours available? We felt though that because of the credits system that it made for overpriced spa treatments and tours. We were going to snorkel but most days it was too windy and rough seas. First time we have not been to a resort spa on vacation- the prices are inflated for the quality of the facility after looking it over. The J.W Marriott spa next door is worth checking out as they have some very reasonably priced packages.

We were not approached by time share people like many reports. But other guests did say that they were pressured to tour the property.

In my opinion the hotel is too small to carry off the HRH concept. From the entry and first floor low ceilings, too few dining options and small capacity, narrow halls and no room to add 5 star features unless they revamp the conference area. It is a remodel of an older hotel that falls short. It is not HRH in Punta Cana or Vegas. Be sure though to go down to the conference area as some of the best of their collection is in that area!

It was a pleasant week but not at the top of our list for memorable resorts or experiences. It was average but nice to get away some place warm. We would probably not return to this property. There are many better resort choices in this price category in the Cancun and Maya areas.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank honesty59
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review honesty59, we are encouraging our staff day by day to provide the rockstar treatment and we are very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced while staying with us and we provide a great variety in our restaurants to all tastes as well as we regret we miss the Mark this time, we pass your feedback to the appropriate departments so you can feel like home next time you visit the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from HRC, we travelled with a group of friends ages 14-48. I will leave a detailed review for all, feel free to email me with any questions. I really only had one disappointment and I will discuss that at the end because it doesn't affect whether or not you should stay at this resort.

We have been to this resort 7 years in a row, with this one being the first as a completed Hard Rock property. We absolutely loved the change, if you are a fan of the 70's 80's or 90's music scene this is the place for you. If you are not and do not like rock and roll,then the fact that the words Hard Rock in the name of the property should have you looking somewhere else. That does not mean you cannot find a place to relax and enjoy your vacation, but don't come here and then complain about rock music playing throughout the resort, hang out by pool bar near the spa if you want a little less party atmosphere. The coolest improvement for me was the lobby bar, it is so nice and a great place to hang out before or after dinner, your drinks will never go dry sitting at the bar or at a table, we had Sarah and Sweet Carolina (now a Michigan fan) for the week and the service was awesome. Watched some March Madness and had a great time with the bar staff.

STAFF

The staff truly makes your vacation wonderful, I have never ever seen so many smiles in one week from a bunch of people who are actually working to please you. The entertainment staff does a great job all day and night long, they are so nice and you actually feel like close friends by the time you have to leave. Vicky, Sean Paul, Bernie, Frank,Fer and a few other names I'm sorry I cannot remember, we miss you already, I also ran into Andy from the entertainment staff last year, it was great to see him again. At the bar, if you have been here in the past, sadly Cesar has moved on to another property, we missed him. But we found a few more great bartenders who took care of our every need all week long, when they saw us coming each morning they quickly prepared our mimosas, Gonzalez "Gonzo" and Pedro at the pool bar awesome job my friends. All waitstaff treated us like kings as well in each restaurant, Jesus at the Italian restaurant thank you so much for fixing our Mayan coffees after dinner.

I surprised my wife and had arranged to renew our vows while there, we have been married 25 years. I worked with the wedding planner Cyntia and could not be happier, she made everything so smooth and took all worries out of everything, once again Cyntia, thank you so much for such an awesome experience.

ROOMS,

Rooms were cleaned properly each day, sometimes at different times but none the less done very well, cute little towel critters each day. We did have some minor issues with the rooms, between our five rooms some of the problems were safes, TV's, blow dryers, irons not working. These issues were quickly addressed and taken care of promptly.

SPA

What a delight the spa is, my wife loves this place and received several massages there. We also had mani/pedicures there as well. Cynthia was awesome and did a great job giving me some Spanish lessons in the process. They were all so friendly, one night they had already closed and they opened the doors so my wife could go in and purchase some products. I had a 50 minute massage with Karina or Corina that was great, will definitely get another when we return. My wife had one from Jessica and said it was equally awesome.

TIPS

You do not need to tip at the resort and you are never under the impression that you should. It is totally up to you and you shouldn't feel bad if you do or don't. But when you see how hard these employees work you will more then likely want to, they are so appreciative to this gesture. We bring $150 in one dollar bills and spread it around equally, bellmen, maids, waitstaff, cooks, room service, and bartenders.

RESTAURANTS

I really do have to chuckle about reviews complaining about the food here. We, all 15 of us found everything delicious at all restaurants, never had a bad meal there all week. We ate at the new Brazilian restaurant Ipanema twice, this is definitely a mans restaurant, lots of meat choices to go around, maybe too much for my wife, the Italian was her favorite. We had our reception there and had a great surf and turf there, you can actually use your resort credits to add lobster to your meal, I think it was 49 resort credits and it was a large tail, very nice, upgraded our wine there as well. ZEN was great as usual. I love going early and having a drink and some awesome sushi at the bar before dinner.

RSORT CREDITS

I would recommend sitting down with the personal planner once you get there, they will try to get you to go to the presentation by offering you perks to attend, some are actually pretty good. They will explain everything you can use your credits for which is very helpful, they will not pressure you to do the presentation if you do not want to attend. You do have to pay 11% tax on any credits used this year, so if you use all 1500 credits you'll pay $165 out of pocket, not too bad. We brought home some of the tequila gift sets, sadly customs felt it necessary to savagely rip open all of the boxes to see what was inside, this happened to all of us. My wife found out that you can use resort credits to by some Biosilk gift sets from the spa, this wasn't really advertised that well.

Ok, I have given you several reasons to get your butts to the Hard Rock Cancun, so start planning.

I am now going to describe the only thing we were disappointed in, and to us it was kind of a big one. We have been Palace members for several years and have brought literally over a hundred people to this resort over the last seven years. Last year we went to the presentation and upgraded to the new Presidential Legendary membership. This year we came to HRC to renew our vows after 25 years of marriage, booked five rooms and brought 15 guests with us. Upon arrival we were astonished to find out that all 5 rooms were lagoon side, four of them on the 3rd floor. I explained our situation and special trip we had planned since last October and were still told they had nothing better. Really? Are you serious, after the loyalty we have shown to the Palace Resort and Hard Rock chain, this is how we are treated? Now that you have our money you can stick us on the third floor, lagoon side, oh and it wasn't even a view of the lagoon it was of a brick building. Oh we got the usual run around come back in a hour, then come back tomorrow, oh another hour, this went on for three days we finally gave up which is what I assume they want you to do. Now I am not one of these persons that feel everything in the world is owed to me, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't of upgraded to Legendary had I known this is how we would of been treated.

There you have it, email me with any questions, Todd

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank dexter5
Jonathan D, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Sup dexter5!!!Indeed you are a hardcore Rockstar your review is awesome, we could not describe it any better, being part of your 25th wedding anniversary really rocks, we will tell Cynthia that all her efforts were rewarded; is awesome to know that Vicky, Bernie, Frank just to mention some of the entertainment crew made you feel the Leading Member of this concert and we are glad that the spotless rooms were very important to a VIP like you and your hole band; …Perfecto!!Knowing that the delightful spa treatments and massages provided by Cynthia, Karina and Jessica were beyond your expectations, they will be more than happy to know that their service was the Boommmm , We are so pleased that you became a raving fan of Ipanema and Ciao restaurants to became yours wife’s greatest hit; Only true rockers know have to take full advantage of the resort credits…Dinning lobster and an Upgrade wine list…Wow; We are so happy to roll out the red carpet, open the Champagne and prepare the stage for your next tour here at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
SAVE THE PLANET