“Depend's on What You are Looking For”

Hard Rock Hotel Cancun
Ranked #10 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was here from January 17-21st when the hotel was at approximately 60% occupied. I should start off by stating that I am not a huge fan of all inclusive hotels, however, we were traveling with our kids ages 15,12 and 11 so it worked out ok as they LOVED it.

I was concerned about the check in procedure after reading other reviews. We had no problem at all and went through very fast without any issues. Our luggage was promptly delivered to our room on the 7th floor facing the lagoon/ parking lot, each room has a balcony. Clearly not an ideal view or location however we had ajoining rooms with our kids and were told that all family rooms face the lagoon not the ocean.

The rooms are ok, beds are very hard. Not at all a luxurious feel to them but more modern, they reminded me of the W Lakeshore Drive in Chicago. The rooms were cleaned everyday early and we had no complaints at all with when and how the rooms were cleaned.

The biggest complaint about this hotel is the noise, and not the noise from the music as stated with other reviews. I expect that if you are staying at the Hard Rock you should assume the music will be loud. However, when you retreat to your room for some peace and quite it does not exist. For example, the hallway floors are marble and the constant loudness of the carts up and down the halls is amplified- it sounded like a train. Also, the elevators make a VERY loud dinging noise when they are on your floor. If there is a knock across the hall or next door you will think someone is knocking at your door. Obviously, this is not the staff's fault it is what it is which is LOUD.

The staff was very outgoing, concerned and had excellent service. Everywhere from the maids, servers, doorman to pool staff everyone was great. We could not find chairs around the pool or beach ever which was a bummer especially considering the resort was at 60%.

Food was pretty good the breakfast buffet had lots of choices and quality items. I do not typically vacation at all inclusive resorts so I do not have much to compare the food to in that regard.

The pool is very nice and very crowded as is the beach.

Overall not a terrible experienece, food was good, service was great noise would keep me from returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Viveutvivas
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Hello Viveutvivas, Greetings from your friends at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun! Thank you for sharing with us your great comments about our resort, we are thrilled to hear that the whole family had fun. Thank you for mentioning the staff’s friendliness and readiness to please our valued rockers.
We offer you an apology for the noise you mentioned in the hallways, we passed your comments to our management team and key people in our organization for review.
We hope we can welcome you again in the future and make your stay a true rock star experience in Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
ALL IS ONE.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel November 8-12, 2012. Here's my review:

Pro's:

Resort: Beautiful resort- very "Hard Rock" feel to it- fun- tons of memorabilia inside the hotel typical to Hard Rock, and the pool areas are well maintained with lots of chairs, etc. Cancun is beautiful- really as beautiful as Hawaii as far as the ocean and beaches are concerned.

Check-in: friendly front desk staff- they serve you champagne at check-in. I think that's cool and a great way to start the vacation. I agree with other reviewers that you should take care of any of the reservations using your resort credits at check-in. It took me another 20-30 minutes to do this. I used the credits toward spa treatments. FYI- I'm a single traveler, and even though when I made my reservation and they promised two complimentary 25 minute spa treatments, they only gave me one. Not sure why- the resort is making more by me rooming alone (less consumption per room of food, alcohol, etc.).

Rooms: Beautiful rooms- very new when I stayed there. Love the shower with 60's style John Lennon-esqu tile (you'll see), lighting controlled from bedside (very European), nice furniture (including the liquor cabinet with 4 full bottles and dispensers of premo liquor -tequila, whiskey, vodka and rum), stocked fridge, etc. Hot tub for two was cool. Views amazing.

Housekeeping: Very good- and fast.

Inside bar: great service.

Beach service: excellent- servers are always checking on you.

Booze: premium booze everywhere.

Cons:

Noisy Rooms: If you're reading this and have any sensitivity to noise, don't stay at this hotel. I checked-in - my first room was across from the elevators- you can hear EVERYTHING AMPLIFIED outside in the hall from a low key conversation, to the ringing of the elevator chime ever 10 minutes to people walking down the hall, to drunk people at 2AM screaming in the halls. It was REALLY bad. No carpet in the halls means that you hear EVERYTHING. Also, due to the wind/suction factor and very heavy room doors, every door SLAMS with a BANG that sounds literally like a shot gun. This goes on all day and all night. I got them to move me on the second night to a more middle of the building room, and the noise was basically the same. This may be an issue at any resort in Cancun- I will definitely investigate before I stay anywhere else (since for this reason and the food, I won't return to Hard Rock). Also, they have evening entertainment by the beach---cover rock band that plays really good music, but you can't escape the noise in your room from like 8PM-10PM- I looked and that Saturday, no one- not one person- was listening outside or on the balcony. SO this disturbance after a long day of sunning and drinking was being enjoyed by no one. The noise from this was REALLY bad in my room. Couldn't believe that this place could get noisier. Also, any time that any of your neighbors moves the chairs on the balconies, you can hear this skidding noise across the floor... NOISY!!!

Food: I've never stayed at an all inclusive resort, but I imagined that the food would be similar to other all inclusive concepts i.e. cruises- wrong! The food was really bad! Very plain- buffet was simple- not elaborate- seriously low end Mexican food (which, in my opinion, doesn't have to be that way). Restaurants are really average. Asian and Italian restaurant staff have serious attitudes, etc. It's kind of funny- they must feel elevated or something- shows what they know LOL. Room service food sucked, too. Boring and limited menu. I love doing room service, so I was really disappointed. Although delivery of champagne and OJ for mimosas was cool. Last, you cannot get any premium meats- the most high-end meat is "flank steak" served everywhere in the resort. Also, no premium seafood (i.e. shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster, etc). Really??? This makes me realize that this a serious "working class" resort (no offense to anyone)...if you're looking for anything more, you won't find it here.

Pool Bar Staff: Rude, dismissive, etc. Some were OK, but these guys are not that welcoming.

Guests: I had some friends staying in the area, and wanted to invite them to my room for a drink- no can do. No one can get on the resort who isn't a guest there, unless you pay for their room. I guess it makes sense, but I found that to be an odd policy.

Moving Rooms: Initially the front desk staff wouldn't honor my request. I spoke with a manager later who did. Was disappointing to deal initially with an apathetic staff.

Spa Check-in: Very nice woman with reddish hair- very elegant and nice to guests. Other women at the front desk were cold- rude.

Spa waiting room: While you wait for your spa service, they give you this odd bean bag like neck warmer that smells- warmed in a spa warmer- supposedly to relax your neck. Kind of nasty upon reflection. Also, spa therapists are OK- average massage- they don't seem to really be into the massage- maybe due to the fact that my three massages were from credits?

Upgraded Room: I went for the upgraded room- seriously not worth it. Room service menu was boring from restaurants- again, low grade food. "Pillow menu" seemed like a cool upgrade, but they had no "water pillows" and the aromatherapy pillows are filled with pellets- not very comfy. Aromatherapy service is an electric aromatherapy machine that they fill with an oil. Kind of overpowering- not very elegant.

Beer: Since it's all inclusive, you expect to get a variety of beer. Wrong- you get two kinds- Dos Equis and Tecate. No Corona, no Heineken, etc- you can't get any other brand of beer at this resort. Yuck! I don't know why a resort that will let you drink Absolut vodka until you're in a coma, won't offer better beer.

Single travelers: This is a family resort, and a couples resort. Not a singles resort. I'd recommend an "adults only" resort for singles. Lots of kids running around and families, etc.

It's too bad- the aura of Hard Rock is there. The entrance, lobby, hallways, rooms, music playing, etc. but this a place where you can't relax due to the noise, and you won't get a good meal anywhere in the resort. And the cost is more mid to high end for this type of resort- for all of this, they are not giving it away.

Room Tip: See above- don't stay here if you're looking for a relaxing vacation. Don't be tempted t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Scottsdude

Hi Scottsdude, receive greetings from Cancun Mexico. We would like to thank you for sharing your comments, as it gives us the opportunity to address your concerns;
We are glad to hear that our Hard Rock look was of your satisfaction and that you had a great time at the beach and found the service fast and always attentive to our rockers who are soaking up the sun at the beach. Also we are thrilled to hear that you like the rooms and the furniture, view and all the backstage amenities like the well-stocked mini-bar, in-room wine and a liquor dispenser with top shelf whiskey, tequila, rum and vodka, perfect to indulge our solo rock stars.

On the other hand we apologize for the noise in the hallways and from other guests, we understand this could have disrupt the relaxing ambiance you expect from your vacations; and let me inform you that we have passed your comments to our Management team to further review

We truly regret to hear that the culinary experience was not of your satisfaction in our specialty restaurants. Featuring a cosmopolitan mix of International, Mexican, Italian and Argentinean cuisines, there's truly something for everyone in our restaurants. And we are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy the always convenient 24-hour room service.
About your comments about inviting friends over to hang out and live the rock star experience, ask our front desk staff for a day pass, it is like a backstage pass!!
Again, we thank you for sharing your comments with us and we sincerely hope we can welcome you again in the future and make your stay a true rock star experience in Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

love all serve all-- this is their motto and I can testify that they live by it! everyone at the hotel is very friendly, and the vibe of the hotel is very cool-- nice music and rock memorabilia around the lobby. it is definitely not the typical "boring" all inclusive hotel. the rooms are very nice and spacious, I saw a review complaining about the room-unless you do not live in a huge palace, you will consider the rooms to be spacious; ours had a hot tub, 2 sinks, big shower, balcony, big comfortable bed, and a very nice closet. the food is great, our favorite restaurant was the mexican, but highly recommend Ipanema as well. the grounds are very clean, the beach is absolutely beautiful..God I wish I was there!!! a word of caution though--use sunblock---I am like a lobster right now!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Isakellmer
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Hi there Isakellmer, thanks for the cool review! We are glad that you had a great time and “loved all” in our resort. We hope you are better now and ready to spend a lot of time lying on the beach and soaking up the sun in your next visit to your favorite stage: Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun the week of Jan 6, 2013. It was my husband and I and our 21 and 23 year old children. It was an incredible week. 5 diverse restaurants exceeded are meal expectations. The room was spacious and user friendly. We are palace premier members. We had a view of the pool area and ocean...wonderful to wake up to every morning. We used the 1500 credits for spa services and to swim with the dolphins. Beyond awesome. Our "children" met some people their age and they partied all day by the pool and every evening and made some new friends. The staff were all extraordinary from the wait staff, to housekeeping, bartenders and of course the activity staff. It was really like a cruise on land,....except with it being all inclusive we didn't have a huge liquor bill. We plan to go right back there next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Hola jmh1262! Greetings from your friends at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun! Thank you for sharing with us your great comments about our resort, we are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and the whole family had fun and made new friends,
We look forward to welcome you next year and make your next stay another great rocking story!!
LOVE ALL SERVE ALL

Reviewed January 20, 2013

we have been members of palace resorts for 5 years and bought into this resort because of the number of resorts(nine, i think)associated with and and the amenities offered. we originally were extremely happy with the food, service entertainment etc. and since wet and wild and swim with the dophins were included, we felt we had a number of entertainment choices to choose from. then 2 yeas ago, palace resorts was split into palace resorts(5)and the hard rock chain(4). we usually stayed at the former cancun palace(now hard rock), and loved the place. after it changed to the hard rock, the quality took a nosedive. The quality and quantity of the food went down, service deteriorated,and we were no longer able to use wet and wild or the swim with the dolphins free because the hard rock was now not part of palace resorts. when we bought into the resort were led to believe that if any changes occurred, we would still have the same priviledges as when we bought-NOT TRUE. WE FEEL WE WERE SCAMMED. anyone interested in buying a timeshare at this resort should be aware that what you see or what you ar told is not necessarily the case, and that's probably true of any timeshare. if you stay here, you will be harassed into going to a "presentation" to "show you the facilities" and will then be given credits or t-shirts or something else. my suggestion is to either skip this or just take the gifts and decline the membership. if you're interested in buying, try to talk to members who have been there for a couple of years and get their opinion(they ususally wear grey or black wrist bands), don't just take my word for it. good luck and CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Room Tip: get a higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank lovmex

Dear lovemex, thank you for sharing your comments and suggestions as they give us the opportunity to address your concerns; we urge our valued members that feel this way to bring their concerns to our Members Services team so they can clarify any concerns regarding their membership privileges, nonetheless, we have passed your comments to the head of the Vacation Club for further review.
We sincerely hope we can welcome you again soon and give you the VIP treatment you deserve and have come to expect from us at the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We own Timeshare in Cancun and are there at least twice a year. We were offered a VIP day pass to listen to a "90" min presentation. 90 minutes turned into ~3 hrs. 1st the pitch by the new guy, then the pitch by the seasoned sales person, then the pitch by the followup lady, then before you get the wrist band there is one more attempt by a 4th guy who was a whiney baby when I said I've been there long enough, no more pitches.. I held up my part now give me the wrist band. Once through the hi-pressure pitch it was smooth sailing. The property A1; food awesome; drinks unlimited and the bar staff attentive. The guests we met loved it. In my opinion, the place sells itself, they should try a different Sales platform and I think it would be a good step.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank prncsp

Hello Diane P, we would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions as they give us the opportunity to address your concerns; we have passed your comments to the head of the Vacation Club for further review. However we are thrilled to hear that you think that our great resorts sells itself. We Hope we can welcome you again and turn you into a raving fan of the Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.
ALL IS ONE

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Kids club lost my extremely allergic 6 yr old within hours of checking in. He escaped because no one was supervising the electric door gate & glass door entrance. The kids club is a 1 minute walk to the main hotel strip in Cancun.
Someone who checked us in the lobby earlier recognized our son & called our room.

Feces in pool & still couldn't address & take care of the issue 45 minutes after reporting. Some obese guy tried to fish them out from outside the pool. The only way to remove it was inside the pool but again poor staff & management. What was needed was common sense.

Faucet like leaks in ceilings during rain in lobby.
Salty food, even when specified low salt room service.
Never again.

• Stayed: August 2012
5  Thank m2miel
Alejandro M, Customer Service Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Hi m2miel, thank you for your comments and great feedback, we appreciate it as it gives us the opportunity to address your concerns; in regards to the kids club, In our kids club we offer the areas and facilities to entertain and take care of the little ones, although as a rule at the kids club children cannot be left without parental supervision; We understand your concerns and in Hard Rock Hotel Cancun, security is a major issue, and we have passed your comments to our Management team to reinforce our procedures and ensure our facilities operate in a safe environment and provide the best service to our dear rockers.

We sincerely hope you give us the opportunity to change any negative perception you may have towards our service and facilities in a future visit, and give you the rock star treatment you deserve here at Hard Rock Hotel Cancun.