7,065 results
All reviews sky bar wok restaurant tequila restaurant yadira celene rooftop pool resort credit lagoon view steak presidential suite chef's dinner beautiful beach michael jackson show guest services destination wedding main pool the wait staff fire show
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our family visited the Beach Palace from Dec 25-Dec 30 and overall had a relatively great stay! This is our third time back to Cancun and our third different resort, so compared to the other two, which were south of Cancun proper a bit, this very definitely had a "hotel" feel vs a Mexican Riviera open air resort feel. Rooms, resort and pool were also very clean and the beach was simply fantastic, although any hotel along that strip will also have the same beach.

However, that being said, Beach Palace was by far the best food, best overall service and best bartenders we've encountered so far in Cancun. Special shout out to Luz and Oscar at the swim up bar and special shout out to Alex at the Sky Bar (per my son, who spent a LOT of time there!). Luz, in particular, was simply AMAZING!!! She always had a smile on her face and anticipated our needs by day 2, which we very much appreciated!! She even told us when she went on lunch break so we knew why she wasn't coming around! Oscar made us THE BEST tornado shots and kicked off our vacation in style…thanks!

Restaurants were also surprisingly easy to get into and they do NOT take reservations. We walked up at prime dinner time and got right in 3 out of 5 days and the other two, our wait was relatively short. Not our experience w/either of the other resorts. And as I said before, the food was really phenomenal, so you should try all of the restaurants. Buffet was a little frustrating a couple of days at lunch because it was soooo busy (when the weather was bad), but they did a nice job having a different variety of foods every day so you didn't get bored.

Some tips for travelers: 1) if you feel you've received excellent service, PLEASE tip your service waiters, bartenders, maids, etc. Even though "gratuities" are included in your bill, they work for pittance by U.S. standards, and appreciate even a couple of bucks. Quite frankly, I've also found you get better service if you tip even a little. 2) since alcohol is included, they will give you the lowest grade alcohol, but do have better alcohol available, if you simply ask. For example, they have Crown Royal, but don't put it out; however will gladly get it for you if you ask. 3) as with any hotel, the rooms right off of the elevator were very noisy. Luckily my son brought a fan and it helped drown out the noise after night 1. Also, walls are VERY thin, so you can hear your neighbors.

A couple of negatives: 1) Maid service was inconsistent. One day we weren't left any hand towels; our conditioner wasn't replaced when it was empty and our fridge wasn't stocked as well as it should have been (beer). However, I will also say that most of the time there was a maid on the floor so we could get what we were missing and if i had to call down for something, they were very quick to respond. 2) Fitness center is very small. We used it 3 out of 4 days and there were no towels or cups for water. 3) Space is limited by the pool for lounging, hence if you want a space by the pool, you need to rise early to save some chairs. We were down by no later than 7:30 each day to save our chairs for the day, as we preferred the pool vs the beach. 4) activities for teenagers is limited. The Stadium Bar has pool tables, but was entirely taken over by teenagers our whole trip. I did see they had some sort of kids club for younger kids, though.

Finally, we had two experiences in the spa, which were both great.

Also, as with the other reviews, the resort credit is pretty limited and I can't see how anyone would use it all. With a $1,500 credit, you had $300 max you could use on the spa, but you also got a 50 min couples massage for that, so it was a pretty good deal. You had a $100 you could use toward silver, which we did. There were only 8 excursions you could go on with the credit, none of which were interesting to us or our kids, so most of our credit went to waste, but we knew that it probably would going in, so we weren't disappointed. No upgrades were available when we were there as they were full, but that's what you should use it on.

1  Thank kelly l
lumito69, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear kelly I:
Thanks for your review, I can see that you had both good and not so good experiences, so You get me to work on targets that I have already see.
About the fitness center I wish I could have a bigger one, but for space reasons I can not, any way I think it has all the necesary equipment to stay fit while you are on vacation.
About house keeping I am on it!!

Thanks again!!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went to the Beach Palace between Christmas and New Years and had a great time. Upon our arrival our room was upgraded and to say the Ocean view was exceptional was an understatement!
Our children (12 & 13) loved the beach and the pool and the beach soccer every afternoon was a lot of fun. We visited every restaurant and all of the food was great (loved the Italian restaurant). My son is a picky eater and he found something he liked at every meal. And my kids loved the ice cream that was always available....even at breakfast. The service at the resort was fantastic and every request was met with a smile. We will be back at the Beach Palace - thank you to everyone there who made our visit so special!

Room tip: The ocean view is worth every penny!
1  Thank FamilyofFour2014
Luis O, General Manager at Beach Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear FamilyofFour2014:
Thank you very much for your great review...I have to say that this is the best place for Picky eaters, because if you don´t like what is available at the restaurants or buffets, you can always ask anybody to prepare waht ever you like to eat!!
Thank You very much for spending Christmas and New Year with us!!!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The rooms at the BP are beautiful, and when we finally got into ours, we were very happy. We had a great balcony and beautiful view of the ocean. Sadly, everything else was disappointing. The staff were unfriendly, the food is not that good, and the beach area is small and crowded (we couldn't even swim in front of the BP because of a Rip Tide, we had to go down the beach and risk being yelled at by the owners of neighboring properties). On this trip we also spent a few days at a smaller, less expensive resort, where the food was better, the people nicer, and the beach bigger and more comfortable. Go elsewhere.

We checked in before the official check-in time, and after a wait at the desk, were told that we could enjoy the resort until our room was available at 3. As we were there to photograph a wedding, we had quite a bit of expensive photography equipment with us. The staff told us that they did not have a single room inside where we could store our bags while we waited - they would have to sit outside on the driveway which was completely unacceptable. We gave the staff extra time, and checked back in at the desk at 4pm to get into our room. After waiting in line again, we were told that the room still wasn't ready. The man at the desk pointed at the couch in the lobby and told us to sit there and they would tell us when the room was ready. (They couldn't have offered us a drink or something to make us comfortable while we waited for them??!!!) After sitting for 20 minutes, I checked with the desk again, and the room was ready. So the staff had not bothered to let us know that the room was ready and left us sitting there. This was a terrible introduction to the hotel, and every time we needed help from the desk it was the same - a long wait and then an unfriendly staff. Our other hotel in Cancun was much better.

The concierges didn't seem to know their property. When we arrived, we sat down to learn about the amenities at the property, specifically the "special" dining options. The concierge didn't know when they were offered, but suggested we take advantage of them. We were surprised to learn a day later when we tried to sign up for the "romantic dinner" that they were offered every night but you had to RSVP at least 24 hours ahead... Wish we had known.

Housekeeping was inconsistent. Every time they visited something else was forgotten. The open bottle of champagne was never removed from the room or replaced. We were often not given hand towels for the bathroom sink, we weren't given a floor mat for the bathroom. The cleaning ladies were cleaning their mops in the lobby restroom every time I went in there. There is no reason to have a wet mop head sitting in the sink of the main lobby restroom.

Overall, we were very disappointed given this hotel's high price. We won't return.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ann O

Dear Ann O:
I can clearly see that your perception of the Beach Palace, wasn´t the best one. However I was looking at your profile to see if you have some other reviews so I can compare, unfortunately this was your first one, you say you stay at another resort before staying here but the same, no review either.
Anyway, I have only one thing to say, I am sorry if we were not what you were expecting.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I cannot give a great review as I only visited it for 2 afternoon trips while staying at the moon palace for 2 weeks.

Went just my wife and myself one afternoon. and myself with 2 kids on another day.

Enjoyed the heated pools, 2 on the roof and 3 at the bottom. All heated, which is really nice. We had some rain and enjoyed a double rainbow which was spectaular.

Beach is beautiful, compared to moon palace, its much much better, but very high waves and strong undertow. I watched 3 people get rescued by lifeguards on the day I was there with my kids. (PEOPLE DONT KNOW WHAT RED FLAGS ARE !!!!) Dont go in the water under red flags !!!

Most of the square footage of this resort is vertical, so when everyone from the rooms wants pool space or beach space, it gets very very busy. Same with the restaraunts, when its lunch time, expect to wait. This was over Christmas and new years, so the building was 100% full. In a lower season Im sure it would be much less busy.

Food, similar to the moon palace, but very packed with people. Quality was good. service was good. Just too busy. Not enough selection.

I gave it 4 out of 5, but 3.5 would probably be more accurate purely because its small and too busy for my liking...

rooms - I have no idea on the room as I only visited for 2 afternoons.... But it was obvious that my wife and I would not want to stay here as it was just too small and busy for us, so a room review at this point would be pointless anyways...

Dear Faber_family:
Thank you very much for your review, even that you DIDN´T stay with us. I hope that for your next trip to Cancun you choose us as your place to stay, I am sure that if you try us, you wont stay in another resort...

Happy New Year!!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The biggest problem with the Beach Palace was a real inconsistency between management and staff. The vast majority of the staff were experts in customer service. They consistently delivered food an beverages in a genuinely good-humored, attentive manner. Angel, Victor, and Jimmy (snack bar), Fernando, Esteban (sky bar), and many others contributed to a very special wedding excursion with my wife's good friend as the bride. The resort proved to be a lot of fun at the right times and relaxing at the right times, and I credit the excellent service from these high-touch staff members as the primary reason. I even brushed up on my Spanish a bit, which both I and they enjoyed.

On the management level, however, this resort really does not understand customer service, and it showed. Upon arrival, another member of the wedding party noted her brand new iPhone 5 had been stolen on the beach. It was never found, and management never bothered much about it. We should have taken that as a warning. On the second night of our stay, during the Michael Jackson impersonator show (which was excellent), my wife's new designer clutch was stolen, along with a small amount of cash and (much worse, since we were at a wedding) her camera. We reported the theft immediately at the front desk, and the first words out of the receptionists mouth were, "You understand we are not responsible for [...]." Well, that made it pretty clear nothing would come of our report, nor of any expressions of distress. The PR person left a message on our room phone each day until we left informing us that nothing had been found. That was it. We came to learn that employees are patted down when they come to work and when they leave, so we tend to think it was not one of them. It was probably one of the folks who have day passes or local memberships. Regardless of who it was, recovery of a stolen item is always difficult. However, the resort never even offered to compensate us and ameliorate our dissatisfaction. As it had said, it took absolutely zero responsibility for crime occurring inside its walls.

The theft--and more accurately the management-level failure to address our related dissatisfaction post-hoc--is the primary reason we will not be coming back. Yet, I must also mention that the food options are hit and miss and really detract from the value of a fairly expensive stay. The room was excellent, the service was top-notch, and I give the beach high marks, and a few of the dishes were pretty tasty, but the quality of ingredients just wasn't there. Lots of cheese, salt, and white flour. Lots of fried food. Nothing allegedly chocolate-flavored had any chocolate in it. The proteins tend to be overcooked. On a positive note, no Montezuma's revenge on this trip, which suggests a level of care. However, for the amount you pay to be here I think you ought not to badly crave a salad upon return to the US.

By the way, I completed a resort survey a couple of weeks ago, in which my responses were consistent with this narrative, and no one reached out to remedy the situation. If someone from the resort reads this and would like to improve my review, then I would also be happy to share what happened in any such future interaction, which might put something of a better face on things.

Room tip: Lagoon side suited us just fine. The doors keep out noise pretty well, but the beach side tends to be noisier at night with the shows.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
7  Thank alounder

Dear alounder:
I have nothing to say to this kind of reviews, unfortunately sometimes people try to threaten resorts with a bad review.
I am sorry, I do not play that kind of games...