“Excellent Wedding With Friends Vacation Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Beach Palace

Beach Palace
Ranked #14 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Omaha, NE
“Excellent Wedding With Friends Vacation Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a great experience here. This is our third All-Inclusive Mexican vacation and the food here blows the other two out of the water! The Italian restaurant is excellent - I recommend eating there pretty much every single night:) It's a hit and miss but luckily everything I ordered was a hit- tried a couple pasta misses though.
My husband had the four-hand massage and said although it was a strange experience it was awesome. You only get $150 worth of your hotel credit to use at the spa though- and the rest is worthless unless you want to take an all-day trip and lose out on the great ambiance of the hotel - and your friends if they're there! There are much better and shorter trips available unfortunately that don't use resort credit. Also- if you walk out of the hotel and go left - just walk a few blocks, cross the street - and there's an excellent outdoor mall where I picked up some cute Zara outfits for our kids. They had the water "flying" experience there too- had my husband and I had known, we'd have walked down there to do that but unfortunately went on our last day and had to leave for the airport so we didn't have enough time. The restaurant there wasn't as good as our resort food.
The Skybar has some particularly good bartenders - Dominga Santos and Fernando Fuentes. They made some pretty delicious pina coladas and were upbeat and quick to bring more drinks when a friend was out. Excellent! Dominga was even a server at the wedding we attended - and was really helpful bringing me wine (btw, the Sauv Blanc was darn good - the house red wasn't so good- and spending extra resort credits for red wine always ended up with more bad wine and paying taxes on the resort credits, the step-up resort credit Sauv Blanc was also delicious but really no need since the house one happens to be tasty).
The wedding reception ended up getting rained on so the resort employees were extremely quick to usher us to the back-up location, set up, and get us on our merry way. Very impressive! No, it wasn't as pretty as the ocean view, but we were all so impressed with their service it was hardly a hiccup in the night:)
The workout room is dinky. This isn't a place where you go work out and take cool yoga classes and be healthy. I think you're just supposed to eat and drink here - which is okay sometimes too. I walked on the treadmill once and there's no TV and there's bad techno music in there and you just stare out the window at people walking by- not quite the atmosphere to get in shape. Walk on the beach instead, much nicer.
The wifi kept cutting out of my phone and iPad so I kept having to re-log-in. Not a big deal, but I just had to bring some schoolwork there with me and it got a little old having to log in all the time.
We had a room near the elevators and I was nervous since I'm a light sleeper- it wasn't an issue at all. However, there was a baby in the room next to us and luckily she only woke me up one morning early and I was able to fall back to sleep. There's no way you can nap with an ocean view during the day unless you're a heavy sleeper- they have entertainment staff out there on very loud speakers talking constantly and loud music for much of the day when you may need a nap if you were up too late the night before. The late night room service is a good 45 minute wait so make the late night Mexican buffet if you're hungry and they're still open - it's better and way faster so you don't fall asleep waiting!
Overall- and absolutely beautiful wedding, great reception, fun time with friends, great choice for the reason we came!

Room Tip: Honestly, I think they're all pretty similar and good- our party was all over the place and nobo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tripstravelertrips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,727)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

This is a small resort but very nice. Convenient since it is on the Cancun strip so you can walk to a lot of place. We were there with our family of two teenager. We like the restaurant and never had any problem getting in. the staff are very nice and accomadatin. We ate at the Japanese place and my son did not like the menu and they allow my son to order from the Italian next door which was very nice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bathgate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant hotel with reasonable catering. The buffet restaurant is adequate but quite repetitive, the Italian was good as was the oriental. The room was good and cleaned daily but the jacuzzi took almost an hour to fill so wasn't that brilliant. The facilities are okay with numerous bars and two small pools on the roof which were very pleasant. The hotel is located quite centrally for all local amenities and is just a very short taxi journey to central Cancun. All in all a very good hotel at a very reasonable cost.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IraqiMac
Alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I just returned from a marvelous stay at this resort. This is a wonderful hotel close to lots of activities in Cancun. The service here is incredible. Big thanks to Luz and Carolina who were our beach servers !!!!! Gabriella the omelet chef, Fernando at Sky Bar, Ernesto , Andreas and Jose at Restaurant Tequila and finally Allen at the Italian Restaurant. You are all magnificent at your position and truly made our stay a memorable one. November is rainy season and we did have a little rain but it was mostly sunny. The rates are lower in November for that specific reason. We will be back !!!!!!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AtlantaPirate1963
Leeds, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in September 2012 and it was a wonderful week
The hotel doesn't look that spectacular architecturally, compared to others on the Cancun strip, but it really is special once you're inside.
The over-riding difference, is that EVERYONE in the hotel seems totally committed to making sure you have a good time. Check-In was fast efficient, we were greeted with a cool face-cloth and a welcome drink, the $1500 resort credit was explained and it couldn't have been done any better. The hotel has aircon throughout which was needed as Cancun is VERY warm.
We opted not to upgrade to a seafront room, as it was $695 extra and it seemed loud, but the view was spectacular. Our standard room overlooked the lagoon anyway and being west facing, meant we got the blazing sun at the end of the day rather than 1st thing.
The hotel pool is lovely, a decent size, with an infinity view across the wonderful white beach and azure waters of the Eastern Caribbean. I cannot get across how delightful this view is, every time I came across it, in the bar, or the restaurant it always made me smile. The waters are so vivid, that when we were in the sea, a seagull flying above would appear to have blue wings underneath as the bird's white feathers reflects the intense blue water. The beach is gently sloping and the waves were quite reasonable. Turtles lay eggs against the hotel's front wall and the hotel goes to great lengths to make sure they are protected and the baby turtles get to the sea safely etc.
The hotel has four restaurants, all on the lobby level. The main restaurant is Mexican themed, using a buffet approach for breakfast and lunch, and waiter service for dinner. Heavily influenced by their main customers from the US/Canada, but we found we could easily eat here.
There is an outdoor grill type restaurant, which overlooks the seafront and is very good. During the daytime this area serves pizzas, fries etc if you only want a snack.
There is an oriental themed restaurant which serves a wide variety of pan-Asian dishes. We only ate here once and found it the least impressive, mainly because it tries to cover two many bases, rather than being Thai of Chinese themed.
Finally there is Bocelli's, the Italian restaurant. Utterly excellent in every way. We ate here twice and each time we were blown away by how good the food is. The Antipasti was as good as any Italian I have ever ate in.
We were on an all-inclusive package and the branded drinks were excellent. Many types of tequila, which was interesting, and the only bit which was disappointing, was their house wines, which I found quite rough. However, I was able to use my resort credit to purchase better wines from their wine list and boy oh boy, they have some beauties on there. My favourite was the Robert Mondavi, private selection Pinot Noir, which was stunning.
We also used the resort credit to have a double massage in their spa. Absolutely top class and very relaxing.
The hotel is 14 floors tall and a real highlight is the Sky Bar on the 14th floor. Very Miami Vice with two swimming pools up there, glass walls surrounding the entire floor, enabling wonderful views over Cancun and the lagoon and the seashore.
We took three trips as well. The lagoon tour lasts about 2 hours and is OK. Due to rough seas we didn't go outside the lagoon which was disappointing. The Chitchen Itza tour is all day and can be VERY HOT at CI but really good day out. Finally we did the Isla Majeres tour which is heavily party themed. We enjoyed this and I paid for the additional snorkelling tour which was good.
Apparently most Mexican hotels have timeshare operations within. We were approached and declined their presentations. We spoke with other people who did attend and it seemed to be the usual type of "Buy Today" pitch, so we took the right decision.
Overall we both thought this week was among our favourite ever 5 holidays, so believe me it is very special.
Happy to answer any specific queries anyone has :-)

Room Tip: Either side of the hotel has great views, the beach side is better by day, the lagoon side is better...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shinyhead69
texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

perhaps management has changed...but this is not the same place ive visited in the past/heard so many great things about. my sis is a member but was treated like a second class citizen. when making the reservation she requested an ocean view only to be told when we arrived that they are not guaranteed unless given a code... in the past, this was never mentioned nor was it mentioned when making the reservation this time but as a member you would think an ocean view would be available for you. i mean, why pay the outrageous dues? we were told that there were no ocean views but i know for a fact there were... we were neither rude nor demanding but i guess thats what it takes to get what you want there.

some, not all staff were surly... not sure why. we were tipping well...even though not required to tip at all. the food was ok, nothing to brag about. but often ran out of the good stuff...only to bring it out after you filled up on the dregs left over. the real winner was bocellis. the wait staff were real pros and the food was excellent.

housekeeping was hit or miss... sometimes the fridge was re-stocked, sometimes not. we had two rooms and one got better treatment...restocked in time, 2 bottles of water instead of just one, extra pillows, nothing to complain about but again, makes you wonder why you pay so much. in the past the guests could do no wrong, now it seems they take pleasure in denying you things or in explaining rules that were never mentioned before in all the years we've visited.

i guess the biggest gripe is the inconsistency... you never know how the food will be or which rules will be invented on the spot or what surly waiter wont have time for you. but it doesnt matter, we're not going back... in fact, my sis is selling it. my advice, dont waste time on a timeshare... even if you could eat all the mediocre food and watered down drinks to make it worth your while, the surly attitude is enough for us to stay somewhere else

most of the staff were pros...but you had a few surly staff members

Room Tip: dont forget to ask for a code for an ocean view...even if your a member, dont expect them to treat y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank hihrd1
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed at the beach palace in October following extensive trip advisor research!!

Must admit that there was literately nothing you could complain about!! The staff were totally brilliant,especially Yodira Celene,who spent the entire week going out of her way to make sure we were having a great time!!

I would very much recommend this hotel,the cleanliness was faultless and the evening shows an added bonus!!

• Stayed October 2013