“The Sun Palace is wonderful!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Palace

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sun Palace
Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
arkansas
“The Sun Palace is wonderful!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

I stayed at the Sun Palace with my husband and two other couples June
13th-18th. I was really concerned having read mixed reviews. The food
was great. We really enjoyed the Steak Restaurant. The Italian was okay, the boys thought the portions were too small, but pretty good.
Room service food was great and you can order 24-7. They will have the food to your room in 20 to 30 minutes. The rooms were beautiful,
very fancy we thought. Maid service cleaned them everyday....very nice. The views from the rooms were unbelieveable. Having been told we were getting partial view at other resorts only to find that we had to lean over the balconies to see any ocean, this was a welcome change. When they say you get a jacuzzi and ocean view at the SP in every room, they were not kidding!

We had a really good time. If you like some action go to the large pool with the swim-up bar...lots of activities. If you like quiet stay in the two smaller pools. Very nice Be aware no american beer, only mexican beers, also no corona

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank Tiffany F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,720)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2007

I had the most wonderful time. The food was good especially my last night. I wanted dinner in my room. So I went to the restaurant inside and ordered. T-bone steak, french onion soup, cesar salad, and mini cheesecake with strawberry topping. My husband could not get enough of those! I was the best meal. The waiter brought it to our room and served it near the patio. After we were done he came and promptly picked everything up.

The mini bar in the room is not really my taste. I drink mostly vodka, at a minimum absolute but I prefer the Goose. They had all foreign liquiors in the room. So on the second night we talk to the hotel manager and had the stock vodka replaced with a fancy red labeled Smirnoff it was a lot better.

Dont go here looking for Corona they dont have it. They use a local beer, I am not much of a beer drinker so that did not bother me.

the pool was georgeous. My room overlooked the pool and the water. The room was very spacious and the shower was to die for. We will definantly be back.!!!

Stayed April 2007
6 Thank lovet0travel
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2007

We stayed at the Sun Palace from 6/8 thru 6/14/07 for our 40th anniversary. (There were people of all ages at the resort, one of the best part was the adults only) I found it on the net, but used this source as well as friends to pick this resort. It lived up to all our expectations. Expect to be treated as if you have people at your beck and call everyday. I truly felt lazy and guilty at being waited on like that.....all you have to do is look up and someone is bringing drinks, food or anything else you want to you. And it doesn't matter where you are at the time, beach, pool, deck area's or your room.

The last review mentioned the food, it's wasn't bad just different. I found some of the items tasted different than I expected, but I think that was the local flavoring. Plus if you don't like it all you have to do is get something else from the buffets or order something different from the menu. We found we liked the Italian resturant the best, they offered fish, steak and pasta everynight.

We went to the Sun Palace to relax and we did just that, they wait on you but are not intrusive. Depending on your package, tours maybe included, you will be told about them at the beginning of your stay, we didn't go on any of them, we didn't want to be on a schedule. You don't have to lift a finger if you don't want to. If you want to go to the strip it's faster by taxi, just ask the gentleman out front how much it should cost to go wherever, he will then tell the driver where you are going and how much he has said it will be.

Everyone is so polite, if you don't speak spanish you may have a little trouble understanding each other, but after a few tries it works out on both sides. We were very impressed with the appearance of ALL the employees at the resort, everyone has neatly pressed uniforms and were neatly groomed. This tells me the resort as well as the employees take pride in what they do as well as where they work. And belive me they all WORK very hard, someone was always doing something day and night.

We did tip some over and above what was already paid in advance. They were very appreciative of any thing given them. As I said these people work very hard, you will see them at breakfast and at dinner. When you say "thank you" they respond with "It is my pleasure to serve you".

If you want to be pampered this is the place to go. We will go back and recommend it to all our friends.

• Liked — Adults only
  • Disliked — Nothing
6 Thank LittleredKY
Louisville,KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

We just got back from a week at the Sun Palace. Unlike the previous review, my gripe was not with the food, which I thought was decent. The rooms are huge, the jacuzzi and shower wonderful and the service was first class. I felt very pampered and safe the whole time. Only two small gripes. First of all, we started to get aggrevated by all the soliciting to go to the time share meeting at the Cancun Palace (which, by the way is also beautiful). We tried to decline politely, but they didn't want to take no for an answer, even calling our room one morning at 8:45 to ask us to go. Back off already. Secondly, everything is very contemporary, stone, tile, and glass. It's gorgeous but the sounds in hallway reverberate right into your room. I'm a pretty light sleeper and I heard noise all night. They need capreting, drapes or something to muffle the sound. Other than than that, I have no complaints at all. Tours were excellent as was service, drinks, etc. We also ate at Moon Palace which was good (huge, but very pretty) and Cacun Palace (Japanese restaurant where the food was good, but service pretty poor). If anyone has questions,
they can feel free to contact me.

• Liked — Beach and rooms are fantastic
  • Disliked — Constantly being solicited for time share meeting, noise from hallway
6 Thank jme2628
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stayed at the Sun Palace resort last week for 4 days. The location, service, cleanliness, drinks, and amenities were all top class! However, the food ruined much of our experience. We couldn't understand how a hotel could have everything else going for it yet let itself get a bad rap because of the food.

Breakfast: they sent a bread basket each morning filled with bread that felt like little rocks and must have been 3 days old. The coffee was mediocre, juice watered down, and bacon and ham disgusting; the ham looked like fried oscar meyer lunchmeat. The fruit was the best, and the only thing edible.

Buffets: The only thing worth eating was what they could cook right in front of you -- and maybe the shrimp.

Dinner: The steaks looked like they were either microwaved or cooked over very low heat; and tasted that way too. They had almost no flavor. Couldn't tell if it was bad cooking facilities or just bad chefs. Desert always tasted like they forgot the sugar.

Lunch by the pool was probably the only real meal we had. They made some fajitas that were pretty decent.

Drinks were absolutely fantastic, and, I guess if you stay drunk the whole time you can forget about how bad the food is. All the bartenders will pour as strong as you want; and you can select the alcohol (e.g. Jose Cuervo). Be warned, our attempt to calm the hangover with a late night ham sandwich almost sent me immediately to the bathroom; instead it went right into the trash. We ordered 4 bottled waters to get us through the night.

The service was fantastic and everyone in the hotel was extremely nice and very gracious. I have to say that room service was a little overboard. We would order something and roomservice would deliver usually in less than 10 minutes. One thing that drove me a little crazy is that they called us back constantly; 1st to verify the order, and 2nd to verify that we got it.

Bottom line: we will probably not stay at Palace resorts anymore. Le Blanc might have been a better choice; however, we won't be back to Cancun for a while.

Our advice: spend less on a hotel room that isn't 'all-inclusive', and spend the money for your own food and drinks. It should balance out unless you are a big drinker. Spending a little more will be well worth it in the long run.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Food
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kenandrena
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

My wife and I just returned from our first visit to the Sun Palace for our Honeymoon. These reviews were very helpful when I planned this trip, so I thought I'd give a little back. Let me preface this by saying this was my first trip to Mexico, so some of my comments stem from naivety. You could tell upon arrival that Cancun was still healing from the hurricanes. The palm trees, plants and other vegetation were a bit ravaged. Most of the hotels seem to have been repaired, barring some construction here and there. The Sun Palace itself felt and looked brand new. It's decorated like a spa - lots of tile on the floors and walls. We were greeted at the front and they took our bags right away. We were shown to the main desk where we received a glass of champagne and a flower for my wife.
During check-in, you get a wristband that identifies you as a palace guest. This enables you to go to any other Palace resort and use their all-inclusive features (restaurants, bars, ent., etc.).
The room was great. Very clean and spacious with a beautiful view of the ocean. The mini-bar had soft drinks, mexican beer and bottled water, which was restocked everyday, or more often if you like. Next to it was a liqour dispenser, which had tequilla, rum, etc.
The accomodations in this room were awesome. I felt like we had everything we needed to be comfortable.
The restaurants were average to good. The Bistro was the best in terms of quality. The Italian restaurant wasn't as good. the snack bar by the pool was actually pretty good for a quick bite. Their guacemole was great.
I had two massages while there. A basic back rub and a full body session. They were both excellent. My wife was very impressed with the pedicure.
The music by the pool was different. It seemed to be on a loop with the theme song to "Grease", then "Joy To The World (Jerremiah Was A Bullfrog)", and so on....
The staff was very friendly. They will do whatever they can for you. The beaches were beautiful. Someone is wating for you with two chairs and an umbrella as soon as you walk out. All in all, I enjoyed my stay there and would reccommend it to someone else.
The only thing I didn't particularly care for was that the pool, pool bar and snack bar all closed at 6 pm. I didn't realize this and was asked to exit the pool one night during a quiet, relaxing swim.
We went to the Cancun Palace several times to eat and go to the beach. It's much bigger than the Sun and has more "energy", mainly because it's for entire families. There seemed to be more food options as well. Cancun Palace has a bar right on the beach, which was a plus for me.
You can get just about anywhere on the bus. It costs 6.5 pesos, and we felt somewhat safe at all times of the day and night. There is an interesting flea market as soon as you hit the downtown area. I bought a cylindrical flute that my wife seems to be very fond of. As with all cities, there are a few bad elements in downtown Cancun, but if you ignore them, they will ignore you.
We both became very ill right before we left. We tried to avoid all water and ice. Stomach flu-like symptoms......very bad. Four days later and a doctor's visit, we're back to full health. I would suggest taking an antibiotic with you and take it as soon as you start throwing up. There seemed to be a lot of people on our plane from Cancun that were sick also. Suppose that's to be expected when going to Mexico.
I would definitely go back, antibiotics in hand.

• Liked — The room.
  • Disliked — Pool closes at 6pm.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bhockaday
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

My new wife and I stayed at Sun Palace 5/28/2007 thru 6/2/2007.

We read all the reviews on this site before we booked, and all the way up to our departure, so we knew what to look out for. So to return the favor, we wanted to share our experience.

We flew in by United, Cancun's new airport terminal area was great! The flow through the terminal for international visitors was perfect! It was a little slow through immigration but that was to be expected.

A word of warning... on you way out of the terminal watch out for the guys on the right all wearing the same outfits. They were time share salespeople and not worth your time. We got caught by them and it caused us to miss our transportation! We thought they were customer service for the airport. They stated that they would help us get to our transport van.

Well after waiting for about an hour to get a ride to Sun Palace it toke us about 20 minutes to arrive at the resort.

Upon arrival at Sun Palace we were greeted by a hotel representative who handled all of our luggage and walked us to the check in desk.

Checkin was painless and quick...of course we were drinking champagne! My wife was handed a red carnation as well. We did not book as Honeymooners however when the clerk discovered we were he changed us to a bigger room!

As we turned to head to our room we were caught by Guest Services. They asked us questions they said was for a "Survey" starting with name and room number of course... then our ages. They are the only ones that can set up your free trip and they give you the list of events at the resort. They also are time share salespeople! Kind of a must talk to, we just kept saying NO to any presentations and they gave up.

Off to our room and within a few minutes our luggage was delivered! The same person who first greeted us delivered it and explained how everything worked in our room.

Our room was great! It was cleaned everyday! They even know when not to come in by a simple flip of a switch. You simply turn on the switch that turns on a red light outside your room this tells them not to bother you... or on the other hand turn on the green light and this tells them you want service! Don't turn on anything and they will enter when they are ready to clean your room. Our room was on the 5th floor. Definitely recommend 4th floor or higher if you want privacy on your balcony. Our balcony overlooked the Oriental Lounge terrace, and we were able to see the ocean and the lagoon. We also had view of the neighbooring hotel, which wasn't great, but overall we had great privacy.

The hotel didn't have very many guests at the time, so they placed people in rooms far from other filled rooms. We didn't have anyone in the rooms around ours so it was very quiet & you didn't have to worry about making too much noise.

All of the staff were great! Simply the best that you could ask for. They waited on you like you were royality! They did everything they could do too make your stay perfect.

When you head to the beach they set you up for the day... even dig a hole and set up an umbrella for you. They even serve you drinks on the beach!

The beach sand wasn't too rough, especially compared to the neighbooring beaches. But after the bad weather, more shells were deposited in the sand, so it became more rough in those areas. The water was warm and wonderful. It got a little rough, but they still allowed you to go in the water, you just weren't allowed too far in.

The food was great! I can not imagine anyone not finding something that they liked. There was, in my opinion, a great selection. The Oriental & Steak resturants are outside locations, so they were closed for the bad weather. However, the Steak resturant was being served in the Mexican Resturant, and they had prepared sushi served in the Lounge Bar...which made up for it.

For those of you looking to party... well you don't want to stay here! They do have events scheduled throughout the day and shows during the night, which were great! But not "super party" time.

This is "and I stress" a Couples resort! So if your looking to get to know that special someone again...come here! It is quite with no kids!

Except for the days of rain I have nothing negative to say about our stay.

I would recommend this resort to all my friends!

We had the pleasure of leaving through the same airport terminal. It was quick and painless to get our tickets and through the security check point. They even have a great shopping center within the terminal! You don't even have to carry your luggage in to the terminal it is done for you!

Hope this information helps.

• Liked — Everything great!
  • Disliked — Nothing negative!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank duke7911