“Incredible place to stay - hardly wanted to leave the resort!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Michigan
“Incredible place to stay - hardly wanted to leave the resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

My husband and I stayed here the week before Christmas and had a terrific time. This was our first time staying at an all-inclusive resort and absolutely loved it! It was so nice not to have to think about how much money we were spending on all our meals and drinks. We arrived several hours before the normal check-in time but they allowed us to check-in to our room anyway. We stayed in a Superior Deluxe Ocean View room - we considered upgrading, but it turns out there was no need. The room was awesome - loved the 2-person jacuzzi (as all the rooms have), huge king-size bed, and huge tile shower. Even the bathroom amenities were really nice - oversized bottles too! Balcony was a little small, but still really nice to sit and enjoy a cocktail. We ate at all the restaurants except for the Oriental Lounge. For the most part the food was good. My husband had the skirt steak several times (served at both El Alamo and The Steak) which he said was really good. Don't miss getting the Chocolate Chip ice cream at El Alamo - it was soooo good! My favorite entree was the Burritas from the mexican menu at El Alamo - best I've ever had! Another don't miss at El Alamo -- the Bananas Flambe -- the table-side presentation is just as good as the dessert itself. We ate one night at La Tratto, the italian resturant - my meal was good, but my husband ordered the fettuccine alfredo and it was, frankly, terrible. It was made with egg noodles, not fettuccine noodles and had no flavor at all. Aside from that meal, we were satisified with the food options.

Pools/beach: We spent most of our time either on the beach or at the two "quite" pools. Drink service on the beach was excellant - a server came by at least once every half-hour (if not more) asking if we wanted a drink. Nice beach with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. One thing we would recommend to the hotel though....there are several large rocks on the beach right in front of the hotel, so you actually have to walk down the beach a bit to get in to the water; it would be nice to have the rocks removed.

All the staff was wonderful. We had our room cleaned twice a day and everyone was very friendly. Please remember to tip the staff! Even though it's an all-inclusive resort, tipping is still appropriate - and you'll get all the better service if you do!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank nerodog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,718)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2010

excellent location for families. april was a little cooler than i had hoped for. felt very safe with teens wandering about resort property. have to taxi or bus to city. not a prob if your just there to relax. abundant tour opportunities.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank oifpiper
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed at Sun Palace April 21-28 and everything met or exceeded expectations. Its close to the airport (but not so that it is too loud) so we were the first ones dropped off from the shuttle. Sun Palace not only has a wonderful beach, with drink and food service, there are multiple pools, food galore, drinks galore, wonderful servers, comfortable rooms and more. We left a note in our room's mini fridge about our beer and drink preference and we had exactly what we wanted every day. Two cool iguanas live in the rock formations on the beach in front of one pool and they are really neat to watch. (and harmless) We ate at a sister hotel- Cancun Palace, and we had been out shopping and walking and were kind of disheveled but they did not bat an eye, they showed us right to their Steak restaurant and we had a great meal with excellent wine and service. All food, wine and drinks were great! The restaurants at Sun Palace were wonderful. We enjoyed everything at Sun Palace and were treated like royalty in Cancun. We can't wait to go back, especially now that it's well below freezing in the Chicago area!! VIVA MEXICO!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank weinerdog43
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

The good and the bad... The room and service were wonderful. With that said, if you are a light sleeper, this is not the hotel for you. We heard everything our neighboring rooms were doing. And I mean EVERYTHING. The food was okay, nothing special! The premium Tequila was amazing. Margaritas on the rocks are the way to go! If you are a sun-worshiper like I am, you better get up early to get a good chair (they were all taken poolside by 8:00am), because by 2:30 in the afternoon, the sun goes behind the hotel and 3/4 of the pool is in the shade. You either need to be on the beach or on the lounge chairs in the pool furthest from the bar @ the activity pool. As for activity, this hotel is seriously lacking. If you're looking for a good time at the hotel, your not going to find it here. It was defiantly an older crowd. Spa treatment was good! There were alot of people that own timeshare there, I just don't know what all the hype was about. I would never stay at a Palace resort again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Beachtraveler14
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

My fiance and I live in Portland, OR, and we knew we wanted to go somewhere relaxing and warm after our October nuptuals. We were eyeballing a Sandals resort, but they were all so expensive, and we would literally lose a day just to fly to the closest one! My mom talked to a guy at her gym that has been to Sandals resorts in the past and is now has a time share with the Moon Palace Resorts (of which the Sun Palace is one). Boy are we glad she did! The flight was much closer and I can't imagine any Sandals being better than this place.

Part of the reason we chose Sun Palace is because it's adults only. Nothing against kids, but we wanted to celebrate our honeymoon without having to swim around children. Speaking of swimming, the ocean was such a bright blue, and so warm that we swam in it every day! I have many pictures of my husband's head poking out of the water because he was constantly in it. The pools were warm too. We didn't swim in both, just the main one because it also had a swim up bar. But everything was a good temperature.

Apparently October is the time of year the ocean can be tough. There were several times that I tried jumping waves, but the ocean would push me backwards and I'd do flips underwater. Thank goodness I hadn't worn my bikini into the ocean or it would have been lost! By the end of the week the ocean had calmed down and was swimmable, but it can be rough.

The bay that we were on was so nice that mid-week adults from the nearby Moon Palace were shuttled over to enjoy it. Tons of people spilled onto what had previously been a rather private beach. I know that the same parent company owns both properties, but I was getting spoiled by the lack of people. But I assume the crowding was what you'd normally see in busy season.

For activities the resort includes in it's price day trips to the local historic sites on nice air-conditioned buses (you have to reserve a spot in advance), trips to some of the other local resorts (we checked out the Moon Palace one day), a day at the local water park (swimming with the dolphins there is an extra fee, but everything else is included), discounts on local activities (we did a jetboat/snorkel trip), and lots going on around the resort itself (we had a casino night one evening, water or land volleyball was constantly going on in the daylight hours, even BINGO!). Basically, if you want to kick back and read and swim, it's an option. If you want to be active all day every day, it's an option.

The rooms were great! We even had a huge hot tub in the middle. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the temperature to a level I wouldn't cook in, but it's still nice to have a jetted tub as a bath every now and then. The bed was comfortable, but I'm not a fan of the really soft pillows. That's not a negative, just a preference. Nice balcony too that looked out over the ocean. A huge shower! And of course the constantly stocked mini-bar and fridge.

I thought the food was pretty good. We ate at every restaraunt the place had and they were all pretty good. Lacking on some of the fresh vegetables for a salad, but again, personal preference. I don't eat fish, but my husband stuffed himself every night on salmon, shrimp, halibut and whatever else they laid out. Is it the best food in the world? Depends what you're eating, but all of it was good and I certainly ate more than I needed to because there were so many good options.

The staff was so nice too! What a great group of people. We didn't bring enough $1 bills with us, so we'd often run out and have to change a $20 later in the day. So therefore we didn't tip regularly. However, no one seemed to change their service based on if we tipped them or not. Room service was speedy, food was always hot when served, and they never held back on alcohol in the mixed drinks. Only problems we ran into were more of a language barrier where we couldn't get exactly what we wanted (but always pretty close), but that's our fault for visiting a Spanish speaking country and not knowing Spanish!

Side note: if you're picky about your alcohol labels and wine vitner's you'll have to be specific with the staff. I'm a bit of a wine snob (I am from Oregon!), and I noticed that some of the wine they had wasn't what I would normally choose at home, but on vacation at an all-inclusive resort, who am I to be picky? And it certainly didn't ruin my trip in the slightest. Nor do I care that much at the end of the day. I just know that ot some people that sort of thing matters.

Very clean, very fun, and it really got the two of us considering buying a time-share here so we'll have a reason to go back and try out other resorts as well!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank EAustin0923
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

This ranks as our best vacation due in no small part to the Sun Palace. We were welcomed with cool towels and champagne. The staff was excellent as was the food and presentation, Our room was restocked everyday with Tecate and water. There was only one small hitch; we were temporarily out of Coke for a day but that was a delivery issue that the Sun rectified as soon as they could. I highly recommend the Sun to anyone and will certainly return when possible. excellence in which all others are compared to..the best..

Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DarleneS6
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sun Palace from Dec 15th - 19th. We wanted to go somewhere warm where we could relax for a few days and Sun Palace was excellent. We ate at every restaurant except for the oriental one. All of them had a large variety to offer and if there was something else that you wanted, the wait staff was more than accommodating to make it happen. I've seen mixed reviews for their food on here and I have to say that I am quite a picky eater and almost everything I had was excellent. The service was great. We used room service 4 times and each time the food arrived quicker than promised.

We spent most days by the quiet pool (vs. the activity pool) and the wait staff learned what we liked and they kept up with us very well! We did tip as we ordered and tipped after our meals - a little more when the service was even better than usual.

We had a junior suite that overlooked the activity pool. The afternoons were a little loud when I went up to try to get in a nap. You can hear noise in the rooms from the hallway but this is mainly because the entire hotel is marble and glass. There isn't anything to absorb sound. The view of the ocean from the room is spectacular and since is it is so close, the sound of the waves is awesome - you can still hear it even when your door is closed. I have stayed at other places in Cancun and they had lagoons or rock barriers that calmed the waves. Not the case at Sun Palace! Each room has a stocked fridge, some hard alcohol and wine. They kept everything stocked while we were there. No problems, we never had to ask.

We didn't leave Sun Palace to do excursions or visit any other Palace resorts. Our plan was to stay there for our entire visit. It was a great place to spend a few days in the sun relaxing and being waited on. The only thing that annoyed me was that since I knew I wasn't planning on leaving when I got there, they still wanted me to listen to them sell their excursions and time share speeches. I had to be stern in saying no a few times.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple