“Loved the Sun Palace”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed December 11, 2008

My husband and I just returned last night from our 5 day, 4 night stay at the Sun Palace. This was our 2nd all inclusive trip and first trip to Mexico. We had an absolutely wonderful time. The room and hotel grounds were impeccable and SO CLEAN!! There are always people working and cleaning everything. Our sweet housekeeper kept our room immaculate and fridge stocked, she even made swans with rose petals out of our towels on the bed! The staff was very friendly and it is clear that customer service it at the top of their list. We got room service for breakfast 2 of our 4 days and each time something was delivered to the room, it was followed by a follow up phone call to make sure everything was to our liking. The room is stunning and I felt like we were practically in the ocean, the view was so amazing. Nice pools, lots of lounge chairs on the beach, and they have waitstaff that brings drinks and food if you wish right to you. I never had to wait too long for a drink at all. The food was very good, the restaurants had a gourmet flair to them which was a nice touch. There are 4 restaurants, we ate at them all and had to say that 'The steak' was our favorite, but we love food on an open grill. The other restaurants were great too. The Italian restaurant had a nice wine list. Overall it was a great trip, very relaxing and we would definitely visit the sun palace again.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ens982

Reviewed December 9, 2008

Just returned from our 3rd trip to Riviera Maya. The first 2 times we stayed at the Palace Aventura Spa with another couple. This year, we went to Sun Palace in the hotel zone.

Transportation - from the airport was 15 minutes (compared to 55 minutes to Aventura).

Check-in - we arrived at 11:30 am and was treated to the usual personal service. We were taken from the lobby to the Lobby Bar and given a personal checkin.

Room - although checkin is 3PM, our room was ready at 11:45. Very nice standard Jacuzzi room. Although we discovered a leak in the toilert area from above. After an attempt to fix it, we were upgraded to a mini-suite and moved promptly. The room was spacious, modern and a beautiful view of the water.

Service - as always, exceptional service from everyone. Maurice our concierge (BTW being transferred to the new Punta Canta Moon Palace in January) was always helpful. Serving staff outside and in the restaurants were excellent. (Suggestion - although tips are included, we tipped a few dollars a day and at meals. staff was very appreciative)

Restaurants- Aventura has 7 restaurants; Sun Palace has 4. The food is very, very good at all. They have an expanded wine list that includes some fine Argentinian Blush (wife likes sweet wine). Our only food complaint was the fact that cetain foods were overly salty. (Another tip - bring powder coffeemate as they don't have "real cream" for coffee)

Hotel area- The hotel is much smaller than Aventura but very clean, plenty of chairs and comfy cushioed lounges as well as beach space. Water was warm and beautiful blue.

Tours - we only opted for Isle Mujures. All day excursion to a small island off cancun. The boat ride was fun with driinking, singing and dancing. We hung at the pool at the Palace resort and ate there as well. Then the boat took us shopping. didn't really buy anything there.

Overall this was a fantastic trip with the usual great service and accomadations we have come to expect from the Palace Resorts. (We are palace premier members).

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Robschil
Reviewed December 7, 2008

Just returned from an AMAZING vacation at the all-inclusive, adult couples only, Sun Palace in Cancun. We've stayed at some nice all-inclusives but this was by far the best!

Excellent service throughout the entire property, with knowledgeable and friendly staff. The food was delicious, even the pool-side buffet, and we never had to wait to be seated for a meal. We especially enjoyed the Italian restaurant which featured live music during dinner. Room service was quick and food always arrived in less than 20 minutes. We loved ordering food & drinks to be served to us right on the beach as we laid in the sun. Staff does not expect tips, but are very appreciative when you do tip and come back often to check on you.

Sun Palace is a quiet place and smaller than we expected. It's situated away from the noise of the hotel zone bars, so not a lot to do there after dinner unless you want to get on a bus or taxi and take a short ride north. The bus is inexpensive, although we weren't sure where to stop so we ended up doing a little walking too, and it's very safe. The resort does feature an hour long show each night (act changes daily) and offers some entertainment in their large lobby bar. Guest ages ranged from young honeymooners to couples married 40+ years, from many countries but primarily U.S.

Nice large guest room with two-person jacuzzi and oceanview balcony. The toilet & shower were a little odd as they were separated from the room by just frosted glass door. Robes & slippers were a welcome touch, esp. after jacuzzi! The bed was firm but comfortable and a daily tip for our housekeeper yielded some pretty cool surprises.

The stretch of beach is beautiful and the main pool area has plenty of lounge chairs. Because of the way the property is situated, most of the pool loungers were in the shade by 3pm, so it pays to be out early.

Excursions offered by the resort were fun, we chose Tulum and Isla Mujeras. Both included lunch and beverages at Palace properties which we thought to be below the Sun Palace standard (guess they really did spoil us!).

We didn't want to leave and can't wait to go back!!

9  Thank asrtrav
Reviewed December 5, 2008

The Sun Palace is certainly one of the best situated hotel's in the Cancun and the things it does well, it does really well but after having read many, many reviews we had expected a faultless holiday and that is not quite what we got. I hope this is a balanced and fair overview.

Rooms - definitely have the Wow factor. Views over white sand and the ocean are spectacular. The jacuzzi with an ocean view is out of this world. The rooms are large and equipped with everything you need.

Service - generally excellent. The hotel was spotlessly clean and well maintained. Domestic service and room service was first class. Service in the restaurants varied greatly. Barstaff were always polite, friendly and so attentive that as soon as your glass was emptied it was refilled. Drinks were served on the beach and we never waited more than a few minutes which was excellent.

Food - the speciality restaurants really made this hotel for us. Our meal in the oriental restaurant was on a par with some of the best in London in terms of food, service and atmosphere. It is out of this world. The food in the Italian was equally good. The Mexican experience was a little disappointing but generally food was plentiful and of very good quality. It is geared very much to an American audience but we enjoyed this.

Gym - first class. Only complaint was limited range of free weights. The cardio equipment was really good and you work out looking over the ocean.

Spa - not really the level of service we would expect! Queued for almost an hour to book treatments which by UK standards are VERY expensive $200 dollars for a massage, to not be able to arrange what we wanted and to be treated with a degree of indifference.

Entertainment - was embarrassingly bad and relied heavily on people having too much to drink to really care. It was awful which would have been fine if we could have opted out but it was held in the only bar of an evening which meant the concept of a quite evening drink went out the window whilst someone dressed as batman warbled in the background. Not what we expected!

Other little gripes -

The telephone in the room would ring frequently. We were woken at 8am by a call inviting us AGAIN to the timeshare presentation. We would be rung after room service, if the drinks bar didn't get stocked and about lots of other unecessary trivia.

The hotel is noisy. Most of the people stopping in the hotel are American. Don't get us wrong some of the nicest friendliest people we met were American but generally, trying not to fall into stereotypes!, if you are like us British, you can find the Americans a little loud (Sorry!) . Ok that is an understatement, we were woken nightly by the return of the clubbers at 3am shortly followed by the room service brigade who would have breakfast at 6am!! What ever happened to the concept of peaceful sleep.

In summary we enjoyed our time at the Sun Palace BUT we were ready to come home. It is not on a par with other 5star hotels we have stayed in and it did have a bit of a holiday camp feel about it rather than a sun soaked paradise.

Just one last note of caution the tides in the ocean are frightening. The water looks deceptively calm but in 2days we saw 3 people having to be rescued, not recommended on holiday.

Stayed: November 2008
7  Thank TheDogsPaws
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I booked a vacation for my wife and I and had previously stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace a couple of times. We decided to stay at the renovated Sun Palace and try out being closer to Cancun, I had some hesitation concerning it being more noisy and rowdy being in Cancun but our travel agent, who specializes in Palace resorts and with whom we have previously booked told us how wonderful this property was. She is a wealth of information and has always taken great care of us with great recommendations and is able to help us with special requests. Her name is Normanne Gibson (info@palacetravelprofessionals.com)

Anyway, the property is close to the airport ( about 20 minutes) and we arrived to a warm welcome and even though we were early were quickly escorted to a beautiful room. Very comfortable bed, oversize jacquzzi tub, stocked refrigerator, and a wonderful view and balcony. Our view was over the pool and the ocean and the water was spectacular.

I work in the restaurant business and I had no problem with service, food quality or watered down drinks. We found the service to be warm and friendly, never any pressure and only ever delightful and friendly staff. In fact I found the food quality even better than on previous visits and a nice variety. One of the great things about Palace Resorts in this location is that you are close by to a number of other properties so you can go there for meals for variety. Our travel agent turned us on to this and even suggested taking the bus to the other properties rather than a taxi. The bus stops right outside the hotels, is spotlessly clean with friendly drivers and is so easy. We had great fun checking out the design of the sister properties and dining out at the Beach Palace and the Cancun Palace.

We also enjoyed the complimentary tour by going for the day to the Isla Mujeres Palace, which is on a beautiful island off the coast. You are picked up by bus and taken to a boat and then taken to the island. The crew on the boat were so much fun and did some great acts on board, I am not normally into rowdy booze cruise activities, but they were very entertaining and a highlight of the day. You have a choice of activities when you get to the island and we elected to snorkle and do some shopping. You also have lunch at the resort and get to use their pool before returning. A very fun day.

When you book through our travel agent you also get a free manicure, pedicure and massage included and the spa at the Sun Palace was very good. In fact the massage I received with Ruby was the best I have ever had. They have a nice shower, dry and wet sauna area. If you go, give yourself ay least a half hour of extra time before your treatment to use these facilities to wind down and really relax. I even went back several other times just to use these facilities.

We hated to leave and higly recommend this property. We look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank swilliamsBiker
Reviewed December 2, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at the Sun Palace 4 times before Wilma and this was our first time back since after Wilma. All I can say is OH MY GOD. When we first arrived and entered the lobby we did not recognize anything and I can tell you that they spared no expense in fixing up and redoing the whole property since Wilma. Nothing is the same and it is so much better. I do however have fond memories of the old Sun Palace but the new Sun Palace is like staying at a spa hotel. From the rooms to the service it was all outstanding. The staff couldn't bend over backwards enough to make sure your every wish was their command.

Since we have been there so many times we opted out of any excursions because we have already done them and our main goal was just lay around and do nothing and be lazy, which is what we did the week we were there. But that doesn't mean we didn't enjoy ourselves or stuff ourselves with the food. We ate at all but one of the restaurants and that one was the Tai restaurant since my husband does not care for that type of food.

The Italian restaurant had an outstanding menu compared to before, the Steakhouse is now an everyday event instead of just every other night and the Alamo is now Mexican cuisine compared to a buffet style before.

There use to be only two pools and now I believe they have 5.

The personnel and staff are of the very best. One of my favorites is Mauricio from quest services. He was always willing to help me with anything i needed, and then there was Jamie at the front desk who I got to know and was always helpful if Mauricio was not around.

Thanksgiving Day my husband tells me he wishes we could of stayed another week he enjoyed it so much and with all the trips we have taken together this is the first time he has ever said that, which leaves me to believe he was just as relaxed and enjoying himself as much as I did, for i did not want to go home either. The Thanksgiving dinner they served was o.k. but then again they had so many other items to choose from that it really didn't matter and it was all good, from the display to the food.

I also had a treatment in their spa which is by far better than the previous one and once again they spared no expense there either. Before you had to pay in advance now you can charge it to the room. Their stores are the same as well. before pay up front, now charge to the room.

Our room was on the 7th floor with a smaller balcony but for the two of us it was perfect for coffee in the room watching the sun rise every morning. The view of the ocean was great, and we were on the quieter side of the hotel which worked for me.

But the best of the best was before it was family oriented and now it is couples only. Maybe that is why we enjoyed it so much this time around, not having someones child screaming and running around.

I know that we will be back next year over Thanksgiving again and we are counting down till we get back to the place that my husband and I love so much THE SUN PALACE.

So to all the staff and employees I just want to thank you all for making my stay so enjoyable and relaxing. Can't wait to see you next year.

Brian and Kathy Corwin
McHenry, Illinois

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
11  Thank nextrace
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Exceeded my expectations --just got back last night 11/30/08 - this hotel is a quality resort - the staff goes out of their way for you- the accomodations are magnificent - and the food was excellent- this was my first experience with an all inclusive resort and it far exceeded my expectations - first of all - they do not water down the drinks - and they are constantly asking if you want more - we did tip - they really appreciate it - its not required but it goes a long way - as for our room we were booked for a standard room and when we got there i inquired about the cost to upgrade to a junior suite and they did so at no extra charge. Once in the room the mini bar was fully stocked and restocked on a daily basis - one evening in my room i decided i wanted a glass of wine - i called their express service and within 5 minutes an entire bottle of wine was delivered to my room - then corked and poured - the room was always spotless and the turn down service at night was nice - refreshing the room and replenishing towels - As for restaurants - the Italian by far is the best - (and I am italian and a bit of a critic of Italian food) we dined there three nights - room service was also quite good (for room service) the buffet each morning for breakfast had a wide variety of foods as well as cooked to order eggs, omelets , waffles, pancakes, and french toast - we intended to visit the steak house (we could smell it from our room each evening but we didnt make it there ) I heard really good things about the oriental restaurant which is a combination of thai, tempura, sushi and oriental food - my only disappointment was the mexican restaurant -they were trying to be more upscale and we were craving traditional tacos, burritos, enchiladas with chips and salsa. It was still good just not what we expected. Snack bar in the afternoon was also quite good - with bbq items, nachos as well as chafing dish items. Dont know where the last person who wrote the review about this resort being a disappointment - obviously we must have stayed at a different resort - Love the adult only policy - no children - the pool is quite, no splashing no pool toys and dinner is peaceful - Will definately visit again next time with my adult children and their spouses

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple