“Fantastic”

Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Crown Point, Indiana
“Fantastic”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I had a great honeymoon here. We stayed a week here. The room was great, the food, the service, the view. We received everything we were promised and more. I would highly recommend this resort to any and all couples looking to get away!!!

Room Tip: from what I understand, though I didn't need to, resort credits can be used to upgrade the room...
1 Thank Malaquias P
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Very pleased with your experience. Honeymoons should by all accounts be as close to perfection as possible.Our best wishes.

The only thing is that credits are NOT available for upgrades.

Just making sure everyone understands.

Cordially,

pwinkler@palaceresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We booked our trip to Sun Palace for our honeymoon about 5 months before we actually got married, and we looked forward to it every day. We had never been to Mexico before so this was a nice, cozy introduction to the country. The facilities themselves seem very new and very well maintained, at least 80% of the staff -- if not more -- speak English, and everyone from the housekeeper to the servers and front desk staff are incredibly friendly and polite. Room Service is really attentive and there's a lot to choose from. The buffet at the Alamo is the go-to restaurant for day time meals. They have lots of options for meat cooked a la carte and prepared ceviches, sides, breads, desserts, etc. The Oriental restaurant is pretty good -- lots of the sushi rolls had cream cheese in them which made me happy. We did dinner on the beach one night and the food was pretty amazing. It started with a small salad, then there was a cheese and ham stuffed chicken breast, and it ended with a puff pastry and some kind of chocolate dessert. The beach area is clean and quiet and they send over musicians to play softly and unobtrusively for you while you eat. The nicest restaurant there is La Tratto. There are a lot of options to choose from and all of the food is lovely. We upgraded for nicer wine when we got our dinner there. My absolute favorite part of the resort is the spa. We had a concierge reservation which included a 25 minute couples massage, and it was so good we signed up for another one at the end of our stay. Monica is an amazing massage therapist. I wanted to take her home with me. I had my nails done in the salon as well. It was very quiet and relaxing in there, but sometimes drunkard women would hobble in with mugs of vodka and harsh the vibe. What can ya do. If I every feel like doing an all-inclusive getaway again, I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator. The 15's are close to the elevator lobby and we could hea...
1 Thank sharkblotter
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
We so love to have honeymooners. Firstly, their trip is very significant.

If, as was your case they are Mexico first timers, well, so much the better. We are always proud to be your first contact to our country of which we are very proud.

It seems you really "chilled out" from the pressure of marriage ceremony which is very nerve wracking. I am glad we served as the means to do so.

We look forward to your next visit. Oh! There's so much to show you!

Warmest wishes,

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We had already spent a week in Cancun before checking into Sun Palace on Friday for an additional 3 nights. First off, the relentless assault of barbaric sales pitches pretty much ruined our first day there. The rep, Keveen, would not get the hint that we did not want to buy upgrades or membership. This is simply predicated that we hadnt even gotten to our room yet. Why would I want to upgrade when I havent even had the chance to experience the resort? It just left us exhausted. That night at dinner we ordered 2 NY strips from the Steakhouse and received T-bones. Not a big deal, but it was the beginning of a endless list of minor imperfections that culminated into a sub-par experience for us. Moreover, the staff at this resort chat and gossip about other guests while they wait in the backdrop of the restaurants. They are not very professional, nor friendly. The pools have trach in them constantly. They have one person clean them in the morning, and then all the trash that compiles throughout the day remains. This makes trying to take pictures nearly impossible.
Now on to our room: I dont know what is wrong, but the room constantly had a mildew smell to it, including our sheets and pillows. We would turn the thermostat down and leave the balcony door closed to create a more confined environment, but the smell would not leave. We had to request the aromotherapy and scented pillows just to avoid gagging in the room. It took 24 hours for someone to fix the TV. There was a compression or ratio issue, so at night while relaxing we watched television with characters that had no heads lol. The water temperature in the shower fluctuated 10-20 degrees every few minutes, nearly causing scalding issues.
Also, the layout of the resort is sort of confusing. Feels like you're walking a labyrinth for the first day or two until you figure everything out. The credits they offer you at the hotel are a scam. You have a limit for each activity and/or store, severly limiting any "free" activities. Also, they make you pay 16% on top, so for example, the 100$ credit I could use on the tequila and cigars, resulted in me paying 32 dollars (which is probably what they are worth in the first place). The wi-fi is slower than dial up. It took 20 minutes for me just to check in to my flight through my phone. 30 minutes more just to update my email inboxes. Our "concierge dinner" was supposed to be a fancy dinner on the terrace of their Italian restaurant. Due to weather they moved us inside which was understandable, but was not unique in any way. They simplay sat us with other guests. So that was a waste of time. The following night, during our honeymoon dinner, the pool they used as a backdrop was littered with trash (which was ironic since they littered it with roses for ambiance--you'd think they'd move the trash). We ordered lasagna bolognese, but when I took a bite, there was mushrooms. I am allergic, so I am glad I spit them out immediately. It took 20 minutes for the waiter to come back by to notify him. At that point I just wanted to leave and order room service instead. The manager did come by when we were leaving and apologized. It was really nice to have some semblance of courtesy at this point, and we graciously declined the offer at a make-up dinner. But honestly, after 3 days of horrible service, the constant barrage of people trying to sell us stuff, and the horrible room, we were just ready to remove the memory of this place from our minds.
In closing, I think every executive associated with the Palace Resorts (or at least Sun Palace) needs to take a week as an undercover guest at LeBlanc (where we stayed our first week before coming to Sun), and then subsequently stay even ONE day at Sun and completely evolve and revolutionize their business model, their staffing requirements, etc. We could have stayed at a much cheaper resort and had the same experience. Shame on you Sun Palace for being the dirty stain of our vacation. Please feel free to read my review on LeBlanc for comparison's sake.

I do want to especially call out a couple highlights of Sun Palace: Pamela Luna helped us out when we had some questions on our second day, and she should be the standard for staffing at Sun Palace. She was the only person the whole week who made us feel like honored guests. Also, I will say that the food was above average. Considering all the other shortcomings this resort has, the food is one thing they have going for them. Luis, the order cook at the Alamo, was fantastic and we made sure to tip him everytime we ordered from him. In hindsight, everyone else who helped us during the weekend totally sucked in comparison to these two individuals. If it werent for these two positive experiences, I would have rated this property as a 1-star.

Room Tip: All rooms are noisy, until they invest in quieter cleaning/beverage carts. Heard them screaching aro...
6 Thank JBrenkert
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Thank you for waking me up!

I had a tremendous week, more than my fair share of happy customers and even made progress in my Trip Advisor rating. Was feeling rather pleased with myself.

I totally forgot about Kipling's sage words in "If": " If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same; "

Truly sorry that you had such a disastrous experience, not indicative of our performance standards. Your comments will be very much taken into consideration.

Sincerely

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Just had a honeymoon here and writing an honest review. Read a lot of good reviews about this place and it lived up to the hype. I'm always skeptical that someone is writing fake good reviews about a place but this is real. Stayed from May 24-28th.

Pros:
Food was probably the best I ever had at a resort - steak restaurant was the best. Asian was better than Toronto asian. Snack bar and room services were very good. Italian was a little disappointing.
Rooms have hot tubs. Rooms are spacious. Good view of the cancun beaches. Priceless.
Pools are very nice and clean. Lots of infinity pools.
Staff set up beach chairs and umbrellas for you on the beach. Staff will bring you drinks and food on the beach.
Staff were very good.
Clean resort

Cons:
2nd last resort on the strip so it takes about 15 mins bus ride to get to the entertainment area - not a big deal for us
Noise echoes in the hallways to the room - something the hotel needs to address. Not a deal breaker.

Overall had a great mini honeymoon here. The food was fantastic and perfect for couples who want to relax and spend time with each other. Wouldn't say this is a party resort. Would go back - the beaches are beautiful and clean.

Room Tip: 8th floor is a smoking floor and the rooms smelled like smoke. The rooms are also a little smaller...
3 Thank stevieyoo416
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
There must indeed be some dunce writing fake reviews somewhere in the world. I think most are caught by TA's team. I know they review each one. But if this were the case whomever it is is just fooling him or herself. Word gets around.

That was a short honeymoon but from your words, well enjoyed. I will talk to my housekeeper about the smoking odor because yes, it is a smoking floor but rooms should be pristine-

Thank you very much for trusting us with this so significant trip. I hope to see more of you in a near future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Sun Palace for a week and had a great time. The beaches were stunning , the pools nice although a lap pool would have been appreciated as well. We were diving for 3 days so were not able to do many of the excursions but having been to Chichenitza in the past, we did book the excursion to Tulum. I would not recommend it at all. The guide gave limited information about the site and after a brief tour, left us to roam abut on our own. As there was limited signage, this did not provide much benefit. We stopped at a shopping place on the way which I didn't really appreciate as I know they get a kickback fro money spent there, though they did have bathrooms to use. At dropoff time, the guide went on for an extended length of time about the need for us to tip as 60% of his income is from tips. In addition, when we booked the excursion, the agent booking it knew little about it so we were unsure if there would be a place to change to use the beach (there was not). Also, there was no stop for food or drink. We left at 7:10 and were hungry and thirsty when we returned at 3:00. The spa experience however was wonderful. My husband and I had a lovely couples massage which we both really enjoyed and I had a manicure. All of the restaurants and the food was absolutely wonderful, especially the Italian restaurant. The service was impeccable- much better than in the US. I do wish though that it would be clear when we book that tipping is encouraged. It states it is included in the price. Does that actually mean that the service people are given actual tips daily in addition to their base salary? I doubt it. To me, it looks like" Come on down, pay the all-inclusive price and feel comfortable stiffing the people that have made your stay so special". We tipped and I would encourage others to as well. Also, It would have been nice to have wine in the room. There is hard liquor but we don not drink it. We would have enjoyed a glass of wine each night on our beautiful patio. Overall, a wonderful stay and nice there were no kids around. Another tip. Having "loaner" umbrellas would be great for unexpected rainy days.

3 Thank Maurine S
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
I've written extensively about tipping but its been some time.

In the Palace Resorts chain your tips ARE INCLUDED. And every cent you've paid for tips is distributed on a precise 15 days basis according to a points system that was calculated by the union. There is no room for doubt. The employees nor union would allow it and we wouldn't have the excellent people that have worked with us for years.
Do they like that little extra? Of course they do! We all like a "bit more". But it is entirely up to you to or not to. Only tip when your heart tells you and do not make it customary. Like the guide you encountered in the Tulum tour. There is no place for people like that in our organization.

Very kind of you to call it an overall wonderful stay. And the umbrellas got here today. They are at your service.

Sincerely

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We visited this property for an afternoon while staying at Moon Palace. A free shuttle will take people to visit other Palace Resorts in the area. This was an exploratory visit for us as we stay in the area several times a year, and were curious to see if this might offer a good option for a future adults only trip. Answer...yes...we'd stay there for sure.

We visited the beach (stunning), there pools (pretty good), and their buffet restaurant. It had been raining quite a bit, and they had stacked the beach chairs away, but when the sun came out they were doing there best to get everything back out for people to use. There is a ton of beach and you can walk in either direction and enjoy the scenery. They had beach volleyball going on as well. The pool area offers a few different areas to relax, with a number of bars. I think this area could get very crowded when the property is busy.

The buffet restaurant offered indoor and outdoor dining options, with some beautiful views of the ocean. Food was excellent with many different options, and we particularly liked that you could select whatever type of meat (beef, chicken, pork, tuna, etc) you wanted cooked, and they'd prepare it for you. Lots of fresh vegetables and fruits.

As with all the Palace resorts, the staff are amazing. After swimming at the beach and then the pool, we got changed in a change area off the pool. A staff member noticed that my wife was trying to figure out how best to pack away our wet gear in our day-pack, and ran and grabbed her a plastic back to ensure everything else didn't get soaked. Very thoughtful. I think that one of Palace resorts greatest assets, is their staff.

This is a small resort, so if we decide to visit in the future, we'll only go for a week. If it happened to be a two-week vacation, we'd book a week here, and then a week at Moon Palace as we'd definitely go stir-crazy in such a small space. But Sun Palace will definitely be in the running for a future adults only trip.

pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
You will be very welcome for as long as you deem to stay.

We're only too happy that our resort convinced you more because of its service and scenery than its size but to each their own.

I rather like it when people from other Palace resorts come to take a look and decide that it is worth a try to stay. I will be very interested when you stay here to learn if we lived up to your expectations. I am quite convinced we should rise over and above.

Always happy to be of assistance,

New Jersey
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Sun Palace May 17th to 24th, we are members this was our second stay at Sun Palace. We were celebrating our 29th Wedding Anniversary and my retirement after 28 years in Law Enforcement. Check-in was quick and we were able to upgrade to a Presidential Suite, this was afforded us because we had inquired about upgrading to concierge level. We were advised that no concierge level rooms were available but we could upgrade to a presidential suite at the same price of concierge level. Me and my wife didn't hesitate in upgrading.

Within hours of check-in a chocolate cake wishing us "Happy 29th Anniversary" and a bottle of white wine was delivered to the room. Nice touch!

The suite was impressive and having the additional space was a big plus. The main balcony overlooked the the Thai restaurant and had a nice view of the ocean and had two lounger beds on it. The second balcony which had a jacuzzi tub faced the lagoon.

Food was great all week, loved the fresh grilled fish at the pool area for lunch. We ate at all four restaurants and never had a bad meal. The Italian restaurant was outstanding and we dined there twice. Sushi at the Thai restaurant was also very good. Lots of great options at at the breakfast buffet, everything from omelets and pancakes to Mexican dishes and fresh fruit.

We used some of our credits on the Art of Wine and the Chef's dinner. The wine tasting was very informative and was well presented by the Resort's Wine Sommelier. Different wines were paired with food courses and each was outstanding.
We also attended the Chef's Dinner and while the food was very good the same can not be said for the young man who emceed the event. He seemed lost at times, and on a few occasions as the head chef gave a lengthy explanation about the dishes he was preparing the emcee failed to translate what the chef said and just looked at the audience and said "ok".

Used the Spa once for a couples citrus massage.......It was awesome.

The Staff are truly remarkable hard working people and we have always appreciated their efforts when visiting Palace Resorts. Almost everyone you encounter greets you with a smile and kind words. We appreciate the service they provide because we certainly don't get this kind of service on a regular basis back home. Vanessa and the rest of the entertainment staff do a great job with the activities during the day and at the nightly entertainment.
We spent most of our nights hanging out in the lobby bar which was manned by three outstanding workers, bartenders Norberto and Ignacio and server Mario. The lobby bar seemed to be the nightly destination after the show of the night had ended. Most nights the bar was packed and Norberto and Ignacio handled a volume of drink orders that would have overwhelmed most bartenders, without a flaw. It was impressive watching them work. Mario quickly got the drink orders delivered to the crowd, these guys operated like a well oiled machine.

The only issue we had all week was with our vacation rep and the normal persistence to attend the "reception" AKA sales pitch/ membership upgrade pitch. This in no way dampened our spirits, nor spoiled our vacation. This issue was addressed via email and was quickly answered by management....Kudos to you Señor Winkler.

While on the subject of Señor Winkler......we observed him at lest four times during our stay roaming the resort, making observations and interacting with workers and guests. One morning while at breakfast we observed him talking to workers and pointing out an area of the buffet station. The next morning we noticed the buffet was laid out differently and the new layout made the one omelette station much less congested. No doubt it was what Mr. Winkler was talking to the workers about. Its good to see a General Manager being so pro-active and continuously looking for ways to improve his product.

Overall it was another outstanding Palace Resorts Vacation....its a vacation we look forward to all year.

2 Thank RMSNJ
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
You gave us two reasons to celebrate with you. We had a blast serving you.

It is certainly our honor to have been able to provide a satisfying holiday, very well deserved.

The best part of my days is roaming around the resort and talking to my guests-who always seem to have a kind comment or an intelligent suggestion- and also my staff, The main perk of a GM is that you can be nice to everyone. People usually think well of GMs for this reason.

Thank you so much for being such wonderful guests. It will be a great pleasure to see you back in a foreseeable future.

With best regards,