“Not worth the money”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Horrible food, food is horrible, view is great, the try the upscale re the room it worked we got the upgrade but the food is horrible microwaved food, drinks are weak, wine is horrible selection, the hotel credit is a joke you will pay 16% of what ever you use the "credit" for.

3  Thank Hummingbird N
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

I couldn't agree with you more. When your opinion of a place is as horrible as you describe it it was not worth your money.

It is very sad to know that your hard earned cash did not bring you satisfaction. Just as frustrating for us, who put our hearts into serving our guests in the best way possible.

One item: We do not use microwaves. The only such item is in the employees cafeteria and for the sole purpose of heating tortillas. That's what they are good for.

My apologies for such a horrible experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,332)

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in March for my birthday and it was just perfect. Even the 'normal' rooms are just outstanding with big double jacuzzi baths and sea views. The service was amazing, always friendly, remembered our names instantly etc, tip the waiter by the pool/beach and you will get great service all day. Ask about the resort credits, even if you just use them for a nice couples massage in the spa it's totally worth it, you just pay the tax that's all. It's one of the furthest hotels from all the mental night life which suited us fine as we only went into town twice, of which u just catch a bus outside hotel for a dollar, don't bother with taxis, these buses are very frequent and so cheap and run all hours. Any water sports go to the actual aqua centre and book it all (half way between hotel and the main town) they are a good price and do packages if you book more than 1 thing. Coco bongo show club is a must, if you don't like crowds/queuing then go VIP, tip your waiter in VIP when you get there and again you will get fab service for your free drinks all night. Even though all inclusive please do try the seafood restaurant across the road slightly to the right, the most beautiful setting out on the lagoon! Amazing food and service! The hotel was just perfect, clean, friendly, all restaurants were fabulous food! Nothing bad to say except just get your Sunbeds early as the Americans seem to be up at 6am to get them :-/ lol overall if you're a couple, and want relaxation book here!!!! If we ever go back to cancun we will only book here especially after going past some other awful looking places full of kids!

• Stayed: March 2014
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Your very upbeat review gave me food for thought: Yes, all rooms at Sun Palace are good. Granted, the views might differ but they all have one. They all have in room whirlpools, tv's, mini-fridge and in general, the same services apply to each one.

It is a great idea of Trip Advisor's to have guests recommend rooms. But: Whoa! It is a suggestion. Every room is worth its price and has the same general services and friendly personnel. The same beach, ocean and restaurants.

And thank you for reminding me.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We are currently staying here and we have been so impressed with the service! From Nancy, Erica, Maria and Martin at check in to Guillermo at the concierge, our first hour was fantastic. From there we have been served excellent food by Alfredo in the buffet and Jesus has taken great care of us while we eat. Jose Luis at the Lobby Bar makes fantastic Mai Tais and Alberto at the pool barns awesome. He is attentive and nice. He definitely has been ex key to two great days so far! Don't forget Allan in the Italian restaurant. Great service and great food. We are happy happy happy!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erica T

You left me with nothing coherent to say. If my guests are happy, happy, happy, that is it.

Thank you for mentioning some of the staff in commenting. They will get their points in the employees incentive program and more importantly, get to see what you, their guest, think of them.

There's no better incentive than this.

Thank you for your kind and upbeat words.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just returned from my first trip to the Sun Palace and am beyond satisfied with the experience. My wife and I stayed 7 days on the concierge level.

The food at this resort was excellent! From the buffets to the A La Carte, we were never disappointed. And the staff makes the experience enjoyable. Anything you need is a simple phone call or "green shirt" away.

Down on the beach, which is the nicest sand beach I've ever seen, it's a simple matter of asking a staff member to help you and they'll get the beach chairs and umbrellas all set up for you.

This level of service comes with a price tag, but if your ok with spending a few extra dollars, you are treated like royalty. We will definitely be going again!

4  Thank keithcva51
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you for such a shining title. To serve you over and above what you expect is definitely our dream come true.

Yes, there is a price tag. It is not cheap but: Really expensive? All inclusives seem quite a bit more than traditional resorts. You get a resort, 3 good meals a day (more if you are so inclined) and the drinks to go with them..and then some.

I've always sustained that if you were to pay for these services separately you would be looking at much more and then I reasoned that if someone wanted to save they would probably skip a meal, or go to a coffee shop downtown. In other words, make ends meet.

And in this sense I agree with you when you say that if you don't mind spending the few extra dollars...Or, have the meals you want, when you want them and not have to think about it, as well as beverages.

It is definitely not for everyone. But it is a fair price.

I did enjoy your review and will look forward to your coming back.

With my best regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

While researching places to go on vacay, alot of people said good and bad things about Sun Palace and we were really nervous what to believe, so fair warning this is long but I wanted to be thorough due to our own desire to know what to expect...

We just returned from 8 days and can I just say it really was one of the best vacations we've ever had. Let's just start with the water/property/beach. We had a remarkable view and everyday we couldn't get enough of it. if you want ocean and ocean front, go to Sun Palace. Our room was clean, spacious with a comfy bed and always a haven. A daily raked beach, we went out each morning about 10AM and never had a problem getting loungers (as some people have commented on). Then to be able to come up from the beach for lunch and a cocktail in the infinity pool (looking out to the ocean!) never got old. In the later afternoon we got into the routine of having a jacuzzi tubby and sitting on the balcony before dinner. Again the view was just stunning.

As for the staff, they were very helpful, attentive and kind. I highly recommend upgrading to the concierge level given the attention to detail you will get. they help with reservations to special events or any specific needs you may have. For example, we had a day trip planned to Tulum and the concierge staff made sure we had lunches and drinks for the road. We asked for Kettle One Vodka in our room, no extra charge. We watched a DVD one rainy night, they have movies on site. Thank you to Yecora, Margarita and the guys on the 5th floor for that attention. The lobby bar each night was a fun place to meet and hang out with new friends, thank you to Consuelo, working so hard each night to see our glasses never went empty. Jose Daniel & Carlos on the beach also did the same!

We purposely picked this resort for the more quiet aspect of Cancun, couples only, so there are no spring-breakers here. it may be "slow" for those looking more lively night-life, etc. But you CAN get that all a bus ride away in downtown. Or probably at any of the other Sun properties. I felt the daytime games and such were sometimes a little forced or "cruise-ship" (trying to find recruits) but if you gave into to a game of bingo or trivia or water volleyball, we always had fun.

We had read to tip our waitstaff and so throughout the trip we did do that, keeping a stack of ones for drinks etc. We also brought some gifts from Boston to give at the end of our stay to especially thoughtful/helpful staff. I think the gestures were very appreciated and yet never expected.

So, I really only have one complaint and one "head's up".

The complaint: they will try to get you to Moon Palace. We never went and everyone we talked to who did go said it was huge, busy and loud. We adore our children but we purposely left them at home and so going to hang out with other people's kids was not on our agenda. SP didn't seem to like that. We were asked repeatedly to go there, make a reservation, etc. etc. even to the point on our last day one staff member called us at 8AM to ask us about going. so that was a drag but we just kept politely saying we weren't interested. and I really blame the property higher up's for her pushiness, my thought is she is probably a lovely person but feeling the pressure to make a quota and so because we are Americans thought to keep persisting. (Our new friends from Scotland were never badgered so feel free to miss out on this one Europe).

The head's up would be about the food. It's good. Sometimes very good. But as many people have said, it's not crazy-amazing. Although almost all our dinners were very good, the breakfast was ok, the lunches were ok. The poolside grill is lovely when you just have things grilled, which I learned on like day three. Alot of the cuisine can be sauce laden and salty. So if you ask for things "naked", it doesn't feel like fast food. It's buffet-style foods for those meals, and really it's anything you could want, but I prefer a little more gourmet type eating, personally. Dinners, because there are only three full restaurants and a make-shift outside grill, were limited, but very good. We ate from all of them. Including a dinner on the beach. The food that night was good but the serenade from a family of musicians and the view made the meal. And the night we did Italian we had a lovely bottle of wine with our credits.

Bottom line you can always find something to complain about if you try hard enough. But there were SO many pros to this vacation we will definitely go back. The view, the overall pace and the smiling staff make Sun Palace a paradise.

Room Tip: upgrade to concierge level for ocean view.
7  Thank p_layne17

For the past two weeks or so, the Sun God has been dwelling in Cancun. I know from experience we will get very good reviews. The beach is phenomenal and just looking at the caribbean ocean lifts your spirits.

I think it is a privilige to be able to be in such surroundings. And I speak for myself, after 26 years in Cancun, every day with azure waters is a marvel. I am glad you think so too.

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is a pleasure to host you and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Staff was very friendly and welcoming. On my check out day, they gave me a ticket that allowed me to use their facilities until I headed to the airport @ 6pm. That meant lunch, drinks, AND dinner were all still covered even though I didn't pay for that day. That speaks VOLUMES as to their hospitality.

Beach is GORGEOUS!!! Tons of room to lay by the beach or just lounge by the pool side. Drinks and food came around ALL the time..no need to ever get up from sun bathing :). Love the fact that there were no babies, kids or teens around. Made for a real relaxing atmosphere. The lobby and public restrooms had a hint of sweet scent that wasn't overbearing. My only gripe is that the lobby was always sooooo cold!

Now onto food...breakfast at the Alamo had everything you could want in the morning. The Steak restaurant outdoors was really nice overlooking the beach. Really enjoyed dinner there. After dinner, warm walks along the beach was quite private. The location of the hotel was at the southern end of the hotel chains away from all the people traffic. This was ideal for what I wanted. Truly a little piece of heaven :)

Oh, and one more thing...I absolutely LOVE my bed at home, but their beds and bedding were sooooo soft, I slept like a baby!!!

3  Thank Amanda V

The title says it all.

Your review shows that you are an easy going person who takes vacations for the right reason: To enjoy.

I am overwhelmed by your beautiful comments and very happy to have been able to offer those things which were condusive for you to have some restful days.

Thank you so much and hope to see you again soon.

Cordially,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We vacationed at Sun Palace from April 12th through the 19th. This was our 12th visit there and we plan to return many, many more times. We are convinced that there is not another resort that will treat you, comply to your every need, and absolutely spoil you rotten as the Sun Palace does.

The food is out of this world good! No lines to wait through and very attentive waiters and waitresses make your dining experience over the top! The Alamo restaurant has the Mexican dining by night, and is the place for breakfast and lunch buffets. La Tratto is the place for exquisite Italian dinners where you can enjoy the wonderful sounds of violin serenades while you make your way through your meal. The Steak is an outside restaurant where you can order just about any main course you want which will be freshly grilled on order and to accompany it there is a buffet that includes soups, salads, sides, breads, desserts, etc., etc. Then you are able to gaze upon the beautiful crystal blue waters while you enjoy your meal. Lastly the oriental restaurant is also an outside restaurant located on the 2nd floor level. There is great sushi, and wonderful oriental meals a la cart. There is also a bar there where you can go and enjoy drinks and the outstanding view. A few of the servers that help make any of your dining experiences special are:
Marisol, Enrique, Ricardo, Pablo, Rodolfo, Jesus, Carlos, Arturo, and Jorge.

The activities around the main larger pool are very fun and include bingo games, volleyball, water polo, guessing games, wonderful music, and many other fun things. You will not feel pressured to participate, but I would recommend that you do because it makes for a great day! The staff that are responsible for entertaining you are Aaron, Javier, Edel (Eddie), Augustine, Marcello, and Vanessa. These people work day and night and work extremely hard. The nightly entertainment includes karaoke, a Michael Jackson show, a Fire and Drum show on the beach, a Caribbean festival, Anything can happen night, and a couple's night.

There is also a Chef's dinner on Thursday nights that is an absolute must do! The resort chef, Edgar Poot will prepare a 5 course meal, one course at a time so that you can watch him in the preparation, then each course is served individually with an appointed wine selection for that course. And as if that alone is not enough there is a "mentallist" and a juggler for entertainment which were out of this world good. And also you will be serenaded by The Oranellas which is a family mariachi group that plays several nights throughout the week. The harmonies that they make are phenomenal!

The drinks are PLENTIFUL and as good as you could possibly get anywhere. A big shout out to my bartender friends Jose Luis, Juanito, Juan Jose, Rene, Armando and Angel. And the servers that bring these wonderful drinks to you will never let you want for anything. Thanks to Karina, Consuella Estrella, Lesli, Jussif and Judeth.

When you check in to the resort you will be made feel extremely comfortable by the staff of the vacation planners who are Nan Soto, Eri Chiek, Nancy Salazar, Mike Mendez, Teresa, Martin and Kevin. There is nothing that these people can't help you with.

Now for some previous posts on trip advisor from some other visitors. Pablo Winkler has made mention to the paint issue many, many times in his remarks/comments to the reviews. It is the fault if Sherwin Williams. What ever they did was evidently not right. That being said while we were there the maintenance staff of Sun Palace was painting to try to make it all right. So it is high time that people get off of Mr. Winkler about paint. Now there evidently had been an issue with loungers around the pool. I didn't see or hear anyone complain about not having a seat by the pool or at the beach while we were there. So that issue seems to be resolved.

This place is like home to us. The people that work there who make it so very special are our family. If you stay here for only one week I'm sure you will feel the same way. Just give it a try! Pablo my friend we will see you on July 3rd and stay with you and the rest of our family for 10 glorious days! We can hardly wait!!

2  Thank cancunaholic10
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

As always: Thank you! I loved the part where you said to get off my back on the paint issue. This together with SW finally accepting their responsibility has really helped the issue.

You have become food for my thoughts because the photos in your presentation are so you. I am sure like all couples you have off moments but your caring for each other is so visible and so sweet that it inspires me as well to think of the blessings of having a better half.

It is always a treat to see you once more. Never doubt it!

My warmest feelings,