“Fabulous hotel, great stay in Cancun!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Very nice hotel and the all-inclusive just makes things better. They serve premium liquor and the food was great. My favorites were the steak and the Thai food. The buffet was good for lunch also but it was kind of the same thing everyday. The staff was great, very attentive. Enjoyed using the credits also, did the dolphin swim and went to Moon palace which was a huge facility. Would definately stay here again.

3  Thank nitk48
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

We do try to give us the best of two worlds. Our food and beverage is selected as if you were in a traditional resort-as opposed to the "always the same" options you might get at other venues.

Thank you for making the point of the buffet. We will work on this. I think more than selection it is presentation that we need to vary.

Being such a well travelled client, your comments mean a lot to us as does the fact that we might have the luck to host you again.

There are newer reviews for Sun Palace

Reviewed November 29, 2013

It's all been said here before... this place makes for an amazing, reasonably priced, pampering vacation. Want to be told, "It's a Pleasure" as your every need is met? A true vacation.

Rooms - Concierge level. Fantastic view of the water and could hear the waves constantly. (Hearing the waves is important to us... and rooms are quite close to the beach.) Clean, clean clean-- and sheets changed as often as you like... robes and slippers replaced when wanted...

Air conditioning rocks here... keeping it as cool as you could want, but without noise or wind when you sleep. Refrigerator was also quiet... not always the case! Curtains kept out the strong morning light. A nice little table by the balcony for those room-service occasions. (Had service a few breakfasts and some late night occasions... always quick and accurate) Also loved the pod coffee maker-- would make double cappuccinos every evening and they kept the pods coming... also gave us a big container of nonfat milk to keep in 'fridge.

Another great thing about the rooms was the ceiling design... it seemed to be dropped down quite a bit from the rooms above. Therefore, we never heard anyone stomping about above us. (a pet peeve.) I had read here that people heard the tubs above them.... maybe we were lucky, but we never heard this in our 10 days.

Beach-- is kept clean and, though the hotel was full, there were enough chairs. Beach service was really good.. (we had stayed at the ME a few years ago... and Sun Palace service was 100 times better.) Great, sturdy and comfy beach chairs with umbrellas pounded in as desired.

Food- I thought the food was very good on the whole. Breakfast made to order and they'll do pretty much anything you want. You just have to ask. (Like no oil on eggs and such.) Burgers and Shrimp at lunch were delicious and freshly made to order. Hubbie got so much shrimp one lunch that he could only eat half of it. (And he loves shrimp... this was a first.) Dinners really varied. Neither of us had a particularly good dinner at the italian place... Always had amazing steaks at Steak (and we tried most of the cuts), had some very good mexican food (recommend the trio appetizer) which was much better at dinner than at lunch buffet. The thai food was pretty good... i had the vegetable curry dish with chicken added and it was healthy and yummy. I'd stack their ginger ice cream up against any foodie place in the bay area! For those who say the food is 'institutional'... there isn't a single restaurant, at any price, in that beach area that isn't 'institutional.' For mom & pop food, you would have to go into town and find a tiny little restaurant... easy enough by bus or taxi. If you always get the fresh grilled food... it is always super fresh and delicious.

Spa-- at the sun palace was not great. Good service, good massages, but a bit disorganized and just missing that relaxing spa vibe. Just doesn't look like a pampering place. We also had massages at the Moon, which was a beautiful setup... and at the Beach palace, which wasn't fancy but was lovely and peaceful.

Activities--- would skip the romantic dinner next time. Just felt like banquet food and service wasn't as good as in the restaurants. Loved the chef's dinner... food was excellent and it was entertaining. Beach and pool games were simple but good for those who like organized activities.

Outside the Sun Palace, we enjoyed taking their shuttle to Moon and having Japanese food. Excellent. Also had a fantastic afternoon at Beach Palace at the Sky Bar and Pool. Gorgeous views and extraordinary service. Sky Bar was the only actually 'hot' hot tub we found at the properties... and it has a killer view. Don't miss it. It's fun to be able to visit other resorts.... like a vacation from your vacation.

Service-- almost always great... and you can get the occasional 'dud' server even at an expensive restaurant. Special thanks to Shiela and Irving at breakfast. Aurelia at the Mexican restaurant, who stepped in when we did have a dud server. Daniel at the beach never failed us with immediate attention and help. Ferdinanda helped us with excursions and planning and always managed to say hello as we passed through the lobby. All room service people were just great. Housekeeping, too.

Tiny complaints-- Sometimes we would ask for things (more shampoo or lotion) and would be told it was on its way, but something would happen between telling the concierge and making it happen. We found that it was better just to ask the person directly, rather than go through the concierge most times. We had hoped to have our tub on the balcony rather than in our room, as we saw in pics on their site... but only the presidential suites offer that.

Also... only a few tables at the beach chairs by the water. This meant that we had to keep our drinks on the sand as we drank.... a slight inconvenience for us, but a total mess for the servers and kitchen. Imagine hundreds of sand-encrusted glasses being put through the kitchen every afternoon. yikes!

Others have complained about the shade after 3pm... for us it was perfect! We could read and relax for part of the day without having to worry about sunscreen.

Would highly recommend Sun Palace. Moon Palace was too sprawling for us, and Beach Palace is great, but lots and lots of kids... and this was not that kind of vacation for us.
We can't wait to return to Sun Palace.

4  Thank kawh

I enjoyed every word you wrote and the fact that you had great comments but did not hesitate to point out where we can improve.

It is very nice to get a good word but I know that there is always room for improvement and you weren't shy about it. This is really a gold mine for us. Will look into every detail you mention.

Thank you for enjoying Sun Palace. Yes, I get quite a few comments to that respect but they will never be enough. Remember we are in a very personalized business. What might be good for you might not go over that well with someone else. It is only thorugh your eyes and ears that we move ever closer to success.

I appreciate your sharing your comments and look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is our second visit to the Sun Palace. In our first visit we was so overwhelmed by how beautiful the hotel and the views were.

This time I couldn't help focusing on the staff and the services we received. I was blown away. Everything is first class. My wife and I had massages from Jovanni and Emilia. They were the best we have ever had. The citrus and the holistic massage are a must.
There are five restaurants in the Palace and we tried to go to a different one nightly. Jovanna who is a captain crossed our path several times and she was perfect. Couldn't do enough for us. We went main pool every day and there were two pool staff members , Vanessa and Javier, who had me doing everything from volleyball to aerobics to help me work off these incredible meals. They joined in and make it a fun experience for all who ventured into those activities. Each breakfast and lunch we were greeted by Ricardo and Enrique who had our table set up for us and remembered what we liked. Daniel and Mario who oversaw the Mexican and Italian restaurants were extremely helpful and guided us to meals that were out of this world. Thank you to all of you for your excellent service and treatment. It was truly world class. You made this visit the most memorable we have had in a long time.
One more thing. There are buses that stop at the hotel within minutes of each other. For $1.00 U.S. you can go anywhere. As you pay your fare tell the driver where you are going and he will get you there. If you can, try to sit up front. We went to the 9a.m. English Sunday Mass. It was beautiful. It was an open-air church. Actually the bus ride can be a harrowing experience depending on the driver, something between Mr Toads Wild Ride and Space Mountain. Hang on. :-))))

7  Thank David R

Thank you for the kindness to remember so many of the staff's names. As you know they do get points when positively mentioned in a review.

I am glad you enjoyed our services once again and hope to have you around a third time. But what made me laugh is your very smart mixture of Toad's and Space Mountain in explaining a bus ride in Cancun. I am such an admirer of Disneyland-world and all things Disney. If of any comfort remember that riding the bus you have the benefit of being in the larger vehicle. Oh, my!!

Thank you for a very entertaining and well written opinion.

Will see you soon.

Cordially,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I will apologize in advance for my lengthy review here, but hopefully you will receive some valuable information.
My fiancée and I just returned from a 7 night stay at the Sun Palace. We stayed from November 19th through November 26th, which is perfect because the rainy season was just ending. This was my fiancée's first trip to Mexico and I wanted it to be very special. I researched resorts on TripAdvisor for several months prior to selecting this one, and I continued to read the reviews on Sun Palace, even after booking.
Before I give my own review, I would like to address some of the past reviews which have given this resort less than 5 stars for many reasons that I feel are invalid.

#1-resort credits--you are given a specified amount of resort credits based on your length of stay. For example, if you stay 7 nights, you can use up to $1500.00 in resort credits. These credits may be used toward room upgrades, services, products, or excursions. These credits are not completely free, you must pay an 11% tax on the amount of credit that you choose to use. Which is still a good bargain. You are not required to use these credits, or you may use part or all of them. My fiancée and I originally were going to upgrade to a concierge room, but we were completely satisfied with the room we were assigned. In order to use your credits, you must meet with an resort coordinator, who will explain how your credits may be used. It is my understanding that during this session, you will be asked to attend a time share presentation at the Moon Palace. This is part of this employee's job to market for Palace resorts, but it is not required to use your credits. If you do not want to go, then simply decline. I do not feel that any of the resort staff would "pressure" guests into attending this session. For people who have made comments that these credits are "rip-offs", you are simply just not educated on their use.

#2 Resort being outdated-- Again, for people who complain that the resort needs updated and/or remodeled--do your research prior to booking a resort. If a few tiles missing from the pool bother your vacation experience that much, then book a new resort. These are probably the same people who would be the first to complain when the resort closes down certain parts for remodeling and construction. I felt the resort was clean and modern. I have to sympathize with the hotel management on this one.

#3 The pool is shaded in the mid afternoon. Yes, the pool is shaded in the mid afternoon--so now you know this and if this will ruin your vacation, then perhaps stay someplace else or move to the beach. The shade did not factor into our vacation experience.

#4 The Beach--yes there are a few peddlers that walk along the beach selling goods such as scarves, hats, puppets, etc. It is a public beach and the resort is not responsible for these people. They did not bother nor harass us. They will only speak with you if you wave them over. In fact, we saw several guests purchasing items from them.

Do your research prior to booking a hotel and you will find out these things and then not blame the hotel for your dissatisfaction afterward!!

Now for my review.....

Our check-in went very smoothly. There wasn't a line, we went straight to the counter and were presented with 2 cold towels for our faces and I was also given a flower. We were told we would be in room 302, but I had previously read reviews on tripadvisor that stated the 6th floor had larger balconies. So I requested a 6th floor room. Our attendant, Rodrigo, at first said there was not a room available on that floor, but was then corrected by another employee that they did have one available. I wanted to see both rooms before making our decision. Rodrigo said it was no problem and he took us to look at each room. Although the one on the 6th floor did have a larger balcony, we were actually more impressed by the room on the 3rd floor. It was larger, in a more quiet location, and had a better ocean view. As he walked us to both rooms, Rodrigo explained to us that he is fairly new at the resort, which was a surprise to us. He was very friendly, professional, and talkative, but most importantly he made us feel very welcome.

Our room was wonderful. It was located at the end of a hallway--very quiet. It was very large, had duel sinks, a large shower, flat screen tv, Jacuzzi tub, huge mini-bar with beer, colas, rum, tequila, vodka, whiskey. The bed was like heaven!! In fact we didn't want to get up!! The rooms look just like the pictures and are immaculate and modern. The house keeping staff is exemplar. They also made several shapes out of towels and added some flowers to them on several days. We tipped them on several occasions.

The beach was beautiful, clean, and well-serviced. The ocean is a bit choppy and difficult to get into at times. The staff put up color-coded flags for safety advisories--red, green, yellow. We went down on our first day and we were approached by Daniel who asked us if we would like beach loungers and an umbrella. Then we watched him set us up a spot on the beach. This man must be the hardest worker I have ever seen. He is constantly retrieving loungers and setting up umbrellas all day long--and he NEVER stops!!! He also makes grasshoppers out of plant leaves that look amazingly real!! We made sure to tip him! Our beach server, Alberto, never let our glasses run empty! We tipped him too! LOL!

The pool--well there are several pools here but we only swam in the activity pool as it was our favorite. It has a swim up bar, a pool side grill, and several activities that you can choose to participate in. The pool bartenders were awesome--they were really busy but never stopped for a minute. They will make you anything you want. The drinks are not watered down, but if you would like more alcohol, than just ask. Jose at the pool side grill cooks the best hamburgers ever. They also have pork chops, fish, chicken, potatoes, and nachos everyday. The entertainment staff are hilarious! They have a set schedule of activities--water aerobics, volleyball, water polo, bingo, etc. They ask you if you would like to participate, but there is absolutely no pressure to do so. When the activities are over, the pool is nice and quiet. A huge bonus is the adult only concept. It makes the entire stay very relaxing and peaceful.

The food was good to very good for the price point and being an all-inclusive. For breakfast they have a buffet or you can order room service. For lunch they have a buffet or you can eat pool side or order room service. For dinner, the buffet is converted into a Mexican restaurant. They also have an Italian, an Asian, and a Steak / seafood house. We ate at the Italian and the Steak house and they were both very good with excellent service. Room service is available 24 hours a day. We ordered on several occasions. The first time we ordered was for dinner and our meal did not come exactly as ordered. Mike had ordered a flank steak sandwich that came with fries and a salad, but he only received the flank steak. This may have been a communication error. We did not call back down because his steak was very good and he was satisfied. When we decided to order another meal, I explained the error previously made by the kitchen, and requested that our order be double-checked. The staff immediately apologized for the mistake and repeated back the order 2 times. Our food came quickly and we received not only what we ordered but extra portions! If the staff make an error with something, I feel its important to give the resort the opportunity to make corrections before complaining about the error.

The service is excellent!! Just what all of the reviews say. The best we have ever had. Some staff that we came across the most and would like to acknowledge--
Rodrigo--- at check-in--so helpful and friendly!!
Alberto--beach server-- will never let your glass go dry!
Daniel--on the beach always setting up loungers and umbrellas--possibly the hardest worker I have ever seen!!
Jose--pool grill cook--his burgers were absolutely the best! Our favorite! We tipped him!!
Jose Daniel--always a smile and just seemed to be everywhere at once!
Entire Entertainment staff--absolutely hilarious--made us laugh everyday!
The pool bartenders--very hard workers--they never stop--we tipped them....A lot!! lol!
Irving--Alamo breakfast buffet-- has the best smile ever and is so friendly!
Jesus--Alamo breakfast buffet--this gentleman was our absolute favorite. When you see him sometimes he looks so stern--but its only because he takes his job very seriously and when he does smile, its very genuine. He has probably the best work ethic I have seen. He is constantly watching his guests and is there prior to your need for something. He is extremely professional and courteous! We tipped him!!
Please know that tipping is not required, however, we feel that excellent service warrants the acknowledgement.

Mr. Winkler we saw you out by the pool one day and on several other occasions, but did not approach you because you were very busy. But we had a wonderful stay and we highly recommend your resort for anyone wanting to have a very relaxing vacation with exemplar service in a most beautiful setting. Muy bien!!

Your American friends,
Jill and Mike ---Phoenix, Arizona

18  Thank JillKemper
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Very enjoyable review. You have a razor's edge no nonsense way of seeing things.
It is difficult to choose a resort if you are seeing it on a web page or brochure and if you are easily bothered, no matter what, you will eventually come accross something that will.

You and your fiancée, on the other hand, know that all experiences contain a certain measure of reality and do not allow this to phase you. In the end it is guests like yourselves that enjoy the full benefit of the precious few days one gets to relax. It is not the place that makes your vacation. It is your manner of living life.

When you are happy and easy-going this permeates on everyone around you and you become a favorite. Your case distinctly.

Thank you for allowing us the pleasure to host you. We sincerely hope to have your visit once again soon. It is so enchanting to serve someone with your disposition.

Warmest thoughts,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

As many have pointed out, THE STAFF make this such a great place. We have been to many resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean, the staff here always meet you with a smile and a desire to make your stay memorable. I have to feel that this attitude must start at the top with valued employees. We will be returning to Sun Palace as well as trying their other resorts. Thanks for the great week.

3  Thank JWalker35

Your comments got me thinking about the nexus between the Anglo and Latin cultures that I've experienced in my many years as a hotel worker and a traveler as well.

It is very interesting that these two eminently different life styles enjoy visiting one another.

By the same token that takes you to rave about the friendliness of Mexico, when I visit the US or the UK I am myself very taken by the efficiency and amicability you find almost any place in these two countries. This is-in my eyes-just as engaging as the warmth of Latin. Sometimes one gets fed up with warmth and requires efficency as I suppose happens the other way around. Which is why I find travelling the greatest experience you can have.

Thank you so much for your kind words,

Warmest thoughts,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Best experience for an all inclusive resort, the food, the bar, the service

Beach area is a good way to relax from all the stress that you bring from your daily responsibilities.

All hotel areas are accessible to all guests and you don't even have to move outside the hotel facilities for anything, you have it all there

MUST GO!

2  Thank David M

I am writing back in English because that is the language chosen for your review. I assume, though, that living in Mexico City Spanish would be just as good.

I was born and raised in Mexico City and saw it grow to a megalopolis. I miss it but not too much for the reasons you yourself state in your comments. The views, the beach and the semi-provincial style of life we have in Cancun are not to be beat.

Back in the 60's and 70's you could still see the amazing view of the volcanoes reflecting the sunset in erstwhile Tenochtitlán-the capital of the Aztec empire. Nowadays they are few and far between. I certainly miss that but would not live there again. Not now.

Do come back every now and then to take a breather. It does your heart and body good.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I travel quite a bit (out of the country) and this was out 2nd time to Mexico and possibly our last. We stayed for 6 nights at the Sun palace Nov. 17-23 and from the moment we walked in confusion. We checked in, everything seemed fine until we wanted to book an excursion the next day, what we didn't realize is that they were supposed to go over point system and book a tour to another Hotel owned by Palace. We didn't get the run down until the next day so They Stole 2 vacation days from us because they Refuse to book any excursions until you go through a horrible tour of one room and then they ask you to invest in there hotels. $55,000 or more....
My husband and I received good discounts from our excursion but we would have rather of paid and had our other two days to do other excursions. The points don't make any sense and quite confusing, and we only used it for the photos which still cost us $145. The Hotel itself is nice not Amazing. We had a suite but there were stains on the curtains and some of our lights didn't work. (balcony) The pool looked was dirty (mildew) and at times wasn't being circulated the small one by the spa. The beach was nice besides the trash (baby syringe by my chair one day) and lots of plastics. The staff some will go above and beyond while others won't even say "Hola". Everyone on the Hotel staff let me out of the elevator first besides the main bellboy. He didn't say "Hola" either. I would never ever stay at a Palace again I feel as though they stole from us by refusing to let us control our own vacation. I am a Vegan and the chef staff was kind of helpful. I tried several times to order noodles with vegetables and over and over just plain noodles. Also most of the couples are over 45 over and over I got mean looks from women even a scowl from a woman I said Hello to. If this was our first trip to Mexico we would not go again be Smart Stay somewhere else! I had a Blast a Rui and they have buses to the different clubs every night. The entrainment was one of the best I've seen at a hotel but they have a small stage would be better outside. The staff is sometimes helpful while on the beach I couldn't get a lounger because the guy was too busy talking to women so I just walked until I found an empty one. Also people get up really early before 8 and put there things on chairs and loungers so that there were NO seats by the pool the whole time we were there. Spending the most money on a room should help us to get chairs or loungers but it didn't there is no difference. Also if you are a non smoker do not sit outside of the lobby bar people smoke out there. Also we got the Better service at Rui and you can get that service all over Cancun.We only at the Steak house because over and over we heard it's the only one that's worth it. The service in Cancun is like no where else and I promise most have it. I also have family that goes to Cancun several times a year. This was the Worst Vacation my husband and I have ever had a a Huge part of the Blame belongs to those who Stole our 2 vacation days.

1  Thank lionheart14

I certainly apologize for all that went wrong and it is quite a lot.

It is in our best intention and interest that you have a great sojourn which obviously was not the case.

Thank you for the comments on our resort. They are valuable input to better our product.