“Outstanding Value”

Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Orlando, Florida
“Outstanding Value”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Stayed at the Sun Palace from July 16-20, 2008 and I was very satisfied with my stay at the resort. No rose colored glasses here as the resort does have some issues....

Rooms: Booked a Junior Suite (#409) and thought the view and room were very nice. We overlooked the beach and the small pool while our friends in #526 had less of an ocean view. The rooms were well-sized and if you like an open bathroom plan you will be happy. Mattresses are very firm. Housekeeping does a nice job but make sure and flip your light to red so they don't try to clean your room at 8 a.m! Mini-bar restocks were a bit slow as I drank all the beer and my wife drank all the Coca Cola Lights each day. Hallways are very noisy and you can hear room service deliveries plus TV's and phones ringing in other guest rooms. The marble floors don't dampen any sound whatsoever. My advice is to drink alot for a better night's sleep.

Food : Breakfast and lunch are buffets. For lunch you can eat by the party pool or dine inside the main buffet. Good choices and lots of options for cook-to-order. Highly recommend the grilled meats and "Mexican Appetizers". Dinners were very good. The Italian Restaurant enforces the dress code. Guys need long pants (no jeans), collared shirts and closed-toe shoes. If I had a dime for every angry male guest they had to diffuse over this policy I could have stayed an extra night! Plan ahead for this guys as the food is worth it. Every lady I saw had a dress or skirt with some type of strappy shoes on. Food at the Thai place was very good. Sushi was just average but hey it was included! Steak place was good (strip steaks) and they had grilled shrimp as an option. Mexican dinner menu looked good but we loved the Thai place so much we went their twice. Try the Curried Coconut Shrimp, Corn Fritters, Miso Soup, or the 5 Spice Ribs.

Beach: Nice! There is some sand unlike so many other resorts. Tropical Storm Dolly gave us some nice body-surfing wave action and we saw the Sea Turtles come up to lay their eggs on the beach at night. Topless for ladies is ok if you like. Note to European Guys - Please leave the Speedo thongs/
Banana Hammocks at home and get some board shorts!

Bars: Drink the day away at the pool bar. Drink the night away at the lobby bar and at 11p.m. or so get on the bus ($1 or 10 pesos) and go to Coco Bongo, Corona Bar, Daddy O's, Carlos N Charlies or Senor Frogs! You've saved so much money by choosing the Sun Palace you can splurge for tours and bars at night!

Advice : Bring $100 in ones like I did. Tip a few bucks for meals and a buck every two or three rounds at the bars and you will get service like you are a rock star! I really mean that. The servers will brink you what you ordered last before your drink is empty and take great care of you.

Overall the Sun Palace was amazing. Look at the pictures and you will see for yourself. I would recommend this place to friends and family!

The only bad point of the trip was the 8 hours we spent at the airport trying to leave while Dolly came through. No worries though - they have a massage place and bars to pass the time.

• Liked — Service and value
  • Disliked — Noisy Hallways
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
9 Thank BigBlueiFlorida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,777)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
West Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2008

My son and I are Palace Resorts Premier Members, and are just beginning to take advantage of visiting the many Palace Resorts. We stayed at the Cancun Palace (before the hurricane) and a couple of times at the Moon Palace. This past March I convinced my boyfriend (who travels for a living) to the Sun Palace. Besides there being mass confusion at Immigration which took about 3 hours in no air conditioning with near riotous crowds (and my BFalmost doing an about face back to the States!), our trip was nearly flawless, and even my travel weary boyfriend was truly impressed by this hotel chain.
Across the board, Palace Resorts has been consistently remarkable in their service and accommodations. This hotel has been designated for couples only (imagine….no screaming kids running around!), and is situated on the strip in Cancun. It has the best stretch of beach (very clean, and no seaweed) of many other hotels on the Cancun strip, with plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas ready to be set up for you. Servers were constantly walking the beach taking drink orders or passing out popsicles (try the coconut ones!) The rooms were clean and spacious; we asked to be located on a higher floor, thanks to Trip Advisor Reviewer’s recommendations, and received a HUGE balcony facing the ocean. Every morning my boyfriend (a real early bird) had his cup of coffee watching the sun rise over the ocean. Absolutely Beautiful!!! The rooms are stocked with high end sundries, the robes available for use are super soft, and the slippers are yours to keep. Refrigerators are stocked with refreshments (both alcoholic and non – if there is something you want to substitute, just ask! They are more than willing to accommodate.) The hotel/pool area was much smaller than I was accustomed to since visiting the Moon Palace, and the hotel was decorated more on the modern side. I felt that I was in Miami, not Mexico, and was a little disappointed.
But on the plus side, we never felt trapped! The public bus (very safe!) stopped right in front of the hotel (approx. $1.00) and you could visit either the Cancun Palace or the Beach Palace down the road. Take advantage of this perk!!!! You could have a meal and drinks, or use the facilities of any of the Palace Resort hotels, so you have the freedom (and security) of exploring the area. There was a Palace Resorts bus that left our hotel, and took guests to the Moon Palace which is off the strip, about 20 minutes away. I was a little “homesick” for the Moon Palace, so we went there two days out of our 8 day vacation, and I could sit by (but mostly in) the humongous pool, while my BF played inside. We brought extra clothes, so we could take a shower and get dressed in the gym area, and had dinner at the Oriental Restaurant in the Golf Course. The last bus left earlier than I wanted to leave, so we took a taxi (located right outside the lobby) back to our hotel for a minimal cost.
Out of all of the included tours available, we only took advantage of the Snorkeling Tour. It was my boyfriend’s first time snorkeling in the ocean, and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. I even saw a sting ray! Yes, there are many people on the catamaran, but it is a TOUR! Yes, the tour comany tries to sell you extra activities while you are there, but it is your prerogative whether you want to buy the extras, and if you say no, you are not hassled. The last time I was there, my son and I rode the RV’s and had a blast!! Lunch is provided, and for the remainder of the time, you can lounge under one of the palapyas, swim, or walk the beach if you decide not to purchase anything extra.
We enjoyed the restaurants at the hotel, and only had an issue at the rooftop Oriental Restaurant, where we waited much too long for a table (not many people on the wait list either), and they got our order all wrong. The service as stated in most reviews really is spectacular, and they will always go out of their way to try to make your experience a memorable one. Yes, there is a language barrier, but we are not in the United States!!! They try hard, but this is a poor country, where only the rich have the advantage of private schools. People should be more understanding when traveling to another country; if not, then stay home. Needless to say, I love Mexico….it is a different culture, in a beautiful tropical setting, and we don’t have to travel too long to get there. That is why we became Palace Resort Members. If you have any questions about the Sun Palace, or any other Palace Resorts, do not hesitate to contact me. Oh yes, we just booked our 2009 trip to the Aventura Palace.....can't wait!!!!!

• Liked — Beach, Accessibility to Cancun Strip
  • Disliked — Modern Decor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Vamonos-LetsGo
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 23, 2008

My husband and I went to the Sun Palace June 21st - 29th, 2008 and we LOVED it!!! It is perfect for couples that need a break or want to celebrate; we went for our anniversary. I had read so many reviews and looked at all the pictures here on tripadvisor and also on many other hotel websites and I was actually more impressed when I got there. The first thing I have to say is: the service is excellent! There are more staff than guests so every need at anytime can be met and they are so cheerful and happy to help you. It didn't seem like there were a lot of staff was everywhere, but whenever you needed something, there was always someone nearby. The food was very good, even though buffet style is not my favorite it is only for breakfast and lunch. All the restaurants serve from a menu for dinner and that is where the 5 star quality shows. I noticed that the dress code is not as strict, the Italian restaurant is the only place you have to dress up for, but when some people showed up under-dressed, they wouldn't refuse them from dinner. I do recommend dressing for the italian place though. The beach there is the most beautiful in all of Cancun, and it's not full of seaweed like the Moon Palace was. We even saw a sea turtle laying eggs one night. I would go 55 days later next time so we could see them hatch and return to the ocean. Once in a lifetime experience for sure!

The adults only feature was the main reason we chose the Sun Palace and it was very obvious how important that was when we visited the Moon Palace. Nothing ruins your relaxation like children screaming around the pool, The hotel is very intimate, it doesn't seem small when you are there, even though it is the smallest Palace hotel. We made friends with several members of the staff: Luis and Jose in the lobby bar, Elisabeth was working by the pool but she is training for the front desk, and Rafael the maitre D in the Italian Restaurant. The drinks are the best in the Lobby bar! They aren't as good by the pool or in the mexican restaurant/breakfast and lunch place. Always specify if you want top shelf liquor. The room service is Fantastic and they always arrived on time in the morning and a few minutes early in the evening/night. I have never said I would go the same place twice, but this hotel is back on my list of places go! I can't explain how great all the staff and other guests were, but if you choose this hotel, I will give you my word that you will love this hotel and the entire experience.

• Liked — The Hotel was very clean, the views were amazing, and the staff was very accommodating.
  • Disliked — It was a little far from the main area, but we didn't need to go there at all!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank rceba
Virginia
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace last year for our honeymoon and loved it so much that we decided to try the Sun Palace this year for our anniversary. The quality of service that I have received from both hotels doesn't compare to any other 5 star hotel I've stayed at. Here is the breakdown:

The room: We stayed in a jr. suite on the 3rd floor and it was incredibly spacious with a balcony view of the ocean and the activity pool. The only thing that might bother some people is that the activity pool can get pretty loud during the day (at one point we could hear people chanting "DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!" while we were in our room) but everyone usually clears out by 6pm so it definitely doesn't go into the night and that didn't really bother us too much.

The food: I loved the food at the Sun Palace and preferred it over the Aventura. Although there are only 4 restaurants, they all had great food (especially the steak restaurant!) and we never had any problems with waiting for a table. Just be sure the guy brings long pants and a pair of closed toe shoes for the Italian restaurant.

The beach: Sun Palace has a great beach area and there were never any problems getting chairs. The pools got a little crowded if you didn't get a chair early, but we never had a problem finding something. The activity pool had different activities throughout the day, so there was always something to do if you were interested.

The service: The service is unbeatable. Anything you want, you can get and the staff is overly attentive. We always had people coming over to bring us drinks at the pool and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. Definitely top notch!

Overall the Sun Palace was a great hotel and I would recommend it for anyone who wants to have fun and relax a bit without any kids. If you're looking for a quiet place, you might want to consider the Aventura Spa Palace instead. You get the same service with a little less noise and more space to enjoy. My experiences at both hotels have been exceptional and I assure you that you will love them!

• Liked — The Service and the Room
  • Disliked — A little noisy at times
5 Thank lmingras
Carbondale, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My husband and I have been to Mexico 3 times in the last three years. We have stayed at a Barcelo resort, Moon Palace and this year we chose to stay at the Sun Palace for the beach. We stayed at the Sun Palace for 7 nights and had a very nice vacation, but some things could have been improved.

Check-in

We were greeted with a flower for me and cool scented towels for both of us-very nice touch! We got there a little early so our room was not ready. We enjoyed the pool and had a couple of drink and checked again. It still wasn't ready so we went ahead and had lunch-pretty good, but nothing special. I was looking for more authentic foods which came around later in the week.

Our room was ready right at about 3:00 (regular check-in time). We got our wristbands and key cards (no welcome champaign) and were sent to our room on our own. A couple minutes after we got there the concierge met us with our bags and showed us around the suite-very nice. I asked him if we could get dark Appleton Rum and he said I am not sure-ask at the front desk, we didn't bother-we got the point.

After we got settled we went to the beach where the waves were huge and beautiful. The beach here really is amazing. Word to the wise though, I got hammered by a huge wave and pulled under by the current at which time my contact lenses came out and of course were gone forever. Despite this little incident on the first day we continued to enjoy the beach every day of our stay, it really was wonderful.

Food: The food was good, but the Moon Palace was better. We visited the Cancun Palace, Beach Palace, and Isla Mujeres Palace during our stay and both agreed that the Beach Palace Italian restaurant was the best as far as food and service. Breakfast at the Tratto was really good all week with a great variety. The fruit was outstanding each day. The Steak, which moves around sometimes, but is usually right off the lobby by the pool is wonderful. The steak itself is a little fatty, but the taste is wonderful and if you're lucky the tostada girl will be there to make great tostadas for you.

Service: I was really blown away at how differently Palace members and regular guests were treated. The staff really does work for tips and if you don't tip them they remember!! I like Palace Resorts, but making a difference between guests and whether or not they pay you extra money up front (members) or not should not change how they are treated. There were a few people at the resort that really made our stay better. The gal at the Guest Services desk was wonderful and very helpful. We also had a great waitress at the Lobby Bar, other than that they did not go out of there way to please us. At the Moon Palace each time you ask for something and receive it they say, "It's a pleasure." I heard this maybe 10 times in 8 days at the Sun Palace. Also, there were times when I had to wait 10-15 minutes for the pool waitress to even ask me if I wanted a drink and sometimes when I did she was SUPER rude about it. Basically I was not satisfied with the substandard service.

Getting around: We took the bus everywhere and just gave the driver a dollar a piece each time. When we went to the Isla Mujeres Palace we took the ferry from the Grand Puerto dock for $7/person which was interesting. Getting there by bus takes awhile and the bus dropped us off about 2-3 miles from the actual dock so we had to walk through a very "interesting" neighborhood. After about 10 minutes we flagged down a cab to take us and two other girls walking behind us to the dock for $10. On the way back we caught the Hotel Zone ferry for $10/person and felt a lot safer where we got off. While on the ferry they have entertainment (and they BEG for tips) and some take pictures for you which they sell on the way back.

The Presentation (*Time-Share*) pitch- We decided to do it since we like the Palace chain, but regret it more than anything in the world. After the lady tried to sell us a $20,000.00 package and we said we were not interested she got mad at us, as did her boss who tried to sell us a new package...they pushed and pushed until they finally got the point. My thought-the free stuff us not worth the horror they put you through. If you have $10,000.00 on hand to give them go ahead, if not don't do it. In the long run we realize that it is not a deal, you just give them thousands up front and still pay $2,000 or more when you come to a Palace Resort or Le Blanc.

The Jungle Tour-there is a place right across the street from the Sun Palace that lets you drive your own boat through the jungle and the ocean and then stops for 45 minutes of snorkeling. All I have to say is don't miss it!!! Just walk down the stairs and make reservations for like $65/person. It was worth every penny and we'd do it again in a second.

Chitchen Itza-Very hot, but amazing. Take a hat and good walking shoes and enjoy the history. This is an all day excursion, but if you have time do it! We did Tulum 2 years ago and loved that too, the beach there is amazing.

Negatives: Service-it was just OK, limited liquor assortment (I really love the three Olives brand, but they had no idea what this was), lack of food variety (few restaurants-but you can go to the other Palace Resorts nearby), the sales pitch really upset us.

Overall, I would go back again for the beach and the location, but without my high expectations for service.

• Liked — It was so clean everyday!
  • Disliked — Service
4 Thank fsabens
new jersey
Reviewed July 18, 2008

well to start off with if you are reading all of these reviews, you have done the right thing. i read all of the reviews on this site about the sun palace and it helped oh so much! yet i still cant understand some of the neg.. ones!

Overall we enjoyed the sun palace 100% and are even thinking of returning for our honeymoon.

THE ROOM- we had a jr. suit on the 3rd floor, absolutely loves the set up and features in the room. The balcony view was gorgeous , so amazing to wake up to such a beautiful view. Everyday the fridge was restocked with soda, beer, water. There was a pull out mini-bar with 3 different liquors which was a great thing to have. The jacuzzi tub was great, nice and roomy and very relaxing.

THE FOOD & DRINKS- the food was good, we enjoyed the Italian and Oriental restaurants the most, the Oriental Lounge because it is located in such a beautiful spot on rooftop. The breakfast in the main restaurant was good every morning, it was buffet style but they had 2 cooks there making you whatever you wanted, pancakes, waffles, eggs, omelets , everything! Our favorite thing was the 24 hour room service, with good choice of food and you could even get whatever drink from the bar you wanted sent to your room. The drinks at all of the bars were very good, not watered down at all. i enjoyed trying all types of drinks that i have never tried before. And they are always coming to ya!!

ENTERTAINMENT- the entertainment at sun palace was very fun. We spent most of our time in the mail pool where there were activities all day long from water volleyball (which we always did) to bingo and crazy games winning prizes!! during dinner at the mexican and steak restaurants they had mexican singers from table to table which was very romantic we enjoyed that alot. they always kept you on your feet making sure you were enjoying yourself.

POOLS & BEACH- the pools were very nice. location of the pools were in a great location, both overlooking the beautiful beach. The pools were a nice size and not always to overcrowded, and the main pool had a swim up bar which is very convenient. The pool located over by the mexican restaurant is more of the quiet, tranquil pool, with no activities or anyone speaking into mics or anything. so it was very nice to have both options. They were both very clean all the time. The beach was absolutely breathtaking, nothing compared to it. Many people had come from the Moon Palace and said that the beach at the Sun Palace was the nicest they had seen on the whole strip.

THE SERVICE- this was one thing about sun palace that i cherished, the service. The service was outstanding, always someone there to serve your every need. I had read the reviews before i booked the sun palace and all of them talked about the service and how great it was, and boy were they right!! cleaning service did an amazing job on our room everyday making cute towel animals as well :). There was someone always there to greet you and open the door for you, most of the time you didn't need to lift a finger which is was vacation is all about!! everyone spoke PERFECT english which was def. a plus!! Room service was prompt and you didn't have to wait forever, the food was still hot when it got to your room .anytime you stepped outside the hotel in front, there was always someone to get you a taxi or bus RIGHT AWAY! overall the service was excellent and def. made our stay so enjoyable!

ACTIVITES & TOURS- we didnt do any of the activities that the hotel provided because most of everything we wanted to do was thigns we had to pay for which was TOTALLY worth it! I strongly suggest swimming with the dolphins at the wet n wild park only 10 mins away from the sun palace, total amazing expierence and we got a great promotion one person got to do it for free because of the room that we were staying in! and also if you would like to go to wet n wild which is a huge waterpark on the beach, you get FREE admission, food and drinks for staying at the sun palace!!
I also reccomend doing scuba diving! weather you have done it before or not you can take a class if you havnt and then they take you out to the BEAUTIFUL coral reef !! absoutley amazing!!

DOWNTOWN- if you are looking to have a good time, some partying, eat some good food, and do lots of shopping i suggest going downtown, there are always transportation there from sun palace. the bus costs 60 cents and a taxi from sun palace to downtown is about 11-15$

overall our stay at the sun palace was amazing, it was a getaway that we will def. look into doing again. i was so pleased that we chose to stay there and esp. because its couples only, no singles partying hard, no kids screaming, its just you and your loved one and then you meet so many other couples and just have such a good time! i recommend to any couple to stay at sun palace!!!

• Liked — i dont think i could pick one thing i liked everything!
  • Disliked — not much, maybe that its a little noisy sometimes
8 Thank mamadukes08
Spartanburg, SC
Reviewed July 17, 2008

This was our second time at a Palace resort, and like the first time it was above and beyond all expectations. Everything down to the smallest detail is taken care of, for example you can leave shampoo/conditioner, soap, razor, body lotion, bubble bath, toothbrush etc at home. They give you quality products that are big enough to last your entire stay at the resort. Rooms are beautiful, ocean is breath-taking, food is good. Another huge positive is free long distance from your room :) In a nut shell it was wonderful!! Now for the few complaints I could hear everything beside us and out in the hall, I had to buy earplugs. My husband would say I am too sensitive but it was like the walls were thin as paper. Also take long pants(men) if you wanna eat at the italian restaurant. They would not let me and my husband eat there on our 1 year anniversary because he had shorts on, granted they were khaki with a button down long sleeve shirt. Now that all the good and bad have been discussed I would go back there tomorrow!!!!!! Hope you enjoy the pic's!

• Liked — pretty much everything
  • Disliked — noisy neighbors
6 Thank arrington11