“Service Can't be beat”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We just returned from Sun Palace in Cancun, which was a 10th anniversary trip. We stayed at Sun Palace due to it's adults only policy. Nothing against kids, but we wanted a quiet vacation. We arrived via thier free airport transfer and were greeted at the door with the doorman getting our luggage and presenting my wife with a flower. We were escorted to check in and were handed a glass of champagne. Check-in was simple and although we arrived much before the 3:00 check-in time we were able to store our luggage and use the facilitites. We had brought bathing suits in our carry-on for easy access. The property is beautiful, with infinity pools wrapping the beachfront and a very nice beach. The waitstaff brings drinks to the pool area and the beach, which has very nice lounge chairs and ubrellas if you want them. We tried all four of the on-site restaurants for dinner. The food was good, not great, but it is all included and we ate well. The breakfast buffett was well stocked and we never left hungry. We ate lunch at the pool side restaurant every day we were at the resort for lunch. The $1500 resort credit is great. It allows flexibility in what you want to do. We chose to use $300 at the spa for a couples massage, which was wonderful, the dolphin encounter, which couldn't be beat: very interactive with the anaimals and everyone, in small groups, got to do all the activities with them. The dolphins are at Moon Palacae, so we spent the day there and had dinner at their Brazillian steakhouse restaurant, before returning to Sun Palace. We also used resort credit for a special romantic dinner on the beach for our anniversary, wich included filet mignon, grilled shrimp and champagne. The evening entertainment was fun, not Vegas quality, but nice. Two of the nights they had baby turtle releases. The sea turtles were laying eggs on the beach, and to preserve them, a marine biologist collects and hatches the eggs and the hotel guests got to release a baby turtle into the ocean. We had 170 babies one night and 117 another night. We did some scuba diving outside the resort, although they do have that as an activity from Cozumel Palace. Very nice dives from Cancu, Cozumel and the cenotes. Overall, the staff is extremely friendly, most speak very good English if your Spanish is not too good, and they cannot do enough for you. Tipping is not required, although we had a couple people that were great to us all week and we took care of them. We left very happy (not to leave) with the resort and will return to Place resorts again. Of the other Palace resorts, Moon Palace is very large, which some we talked to did not like, but we enjoyed it there, Beach Palace is a younger crowd and one couple had moved from there to Sun palace due to noise. Sun Palace is a mixed crowd of all ages.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice, the 6th floor has larger balconies. The reort web site describes all of...
1  Thank dtchem1
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Definitely proof that you are people who go on vacation to have a great time and will do so no matter what.

Yours is the type of review I find most enlightening for other possible customers to read. You go through very precise recounts of what can be done in our destination and are very straightforward but kind.

Being the stickler I am for perfection, the only part I would have rather bettered is the one about the food. Yes, the food is all inclusive but we strive to offer really excellent food. Not just "included" food. We know our prices command a higher echelon of restaurants than other "inclusive" resorts. I thank you for your open opinion and will try even harder so that in your next visit, your comment on the food is: Fabulous.

Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

Cordially,

There are newer reviews for Sun Palace

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just got back from our second trip to Sun Palace - the first was 3 years ago for our honeymoon. We couldn't wait for our return anniversary trip. The hotel and staff were just as wonderful as we remembered. I have never been to a resort where the staff are so genuinely friendly and attentive. My impression of the Mexican culture is a very positive one after spending 6 days at this resort. I know you've probably read most of this before, but here are my honest opinions:
Beach: perfect white sand, electric blue water, and most importantly no yucky stuff in the water. I'm normally a pool person due to my extreme dislike of slimy, stingy, swimmy things, but there appears to be none of that here. Just fun waves to frolic in :)
Room: Rooms are nice and clean. If you enjoy balcony time upgrade to Concierge Level for the big balcony (otherwise, maybe not worth it.) We actually slept on the lounger on our balcony for most of the night every night. What an amazing experience falling asleep to the sound of crashing waves. It was a bit hard to sleep after about 8:30 due to the activity in the hallway. Maybe management could allocate some money toward better sound proofing when the next round of renovations happen?
Service: OUTSTANDING...what else can I say?
Food: My husband and I are very picky eaters, but founds something to eat that we enjoyed every day. I think this is where it's necessary to remember that you are in a foreign country and some things are just different. If you want everything exactly the same, why travel abroad? High lights were chicken fajitas at the pool/beach, french toast room service, and the grilled rib eye and chicken breast at The Steak. Best atmosphere is at the Oriental - very romantic.
Overall, we had a very positive experience; we napped (a LOT), swam, drank, enjoyed room service, released baby sea turtles, went to the fire show, and returned home very happy and refreshed.

4  Thank kacampbell
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

A very complete and engaging review. Yes, many of the things you note have been said but we never get tired of hearing them because this is what we do. And it is always good to know that what you are doing is appreciated.

July and thus far August have been exceptional months weatherwise. I really would have to think far back to another almost one month stint of perfect weather. This does help.

Totally concur with your comment about travelling. If you do not want new experiences, do not travel. But since you enjoyed, travel some more!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I had a great time in July 2013 at the Sun Palace.
I recommend highly to any couple that would enjoy a nice property on a beautiful beach.
Spa is great too. Food is good for the most part. People that work there are outstanding!

Room Tip: As far away from the elevators as possible because it get noisy early in the hallways
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Your recommendation is very close to our hearts.

Thank you for your kind words both on the service, Spa and the food.

We hope to have the pleasure of your return visit in a very near future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Cancun, Sun Palace is one of the best Palace Resorts I have been to from Nuevo Vallarta to the entire Riviera area. It is adults only which I appreciate being older and children moved out of the home. It is close to downtown Cancun where a cab or bus can be taken to any of the local areas. I have been to Cancun for the last 20 + years and the Sun Palace is my favorite. The food is great on the all-inclusive menu and the drinks are top notch. There is plenty of entertainment around the pool and down on the white sand beach. I never had to wait long for a drink to be delivered while sitting on the beach or around the pool. If you haven't stayed there, do! You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request a room on the ocean side, although the bay side has terrific sunsets.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Neve7

Well, thank you very much. This is quite a distinciton you make and we're very honored to recieve. Being the best in anythin is always hard to achieve and if you, our guest, feel we are the best, then certainly we must be.

At least we give it a fair try.

Very appreciated, your mention of our location: Far enough to be out of noise's harm and close that you can get anywhere in the hotel zone in a city bus. Definitely the safest way to travel around Cancun...you are sitting on the bigger vehicle. This is definitely an advantage anywhere.

I see your last visit as November. Well, Novemeber is around the corner!

Warmest memories,

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Five years ago my husband and I spent our honeymoon at this hotel and returned last month to celebrate our five year wedding anniversary. The overall sun palace experience was great and we are happy we returned. It was a little troublesome this year booking a spa appointment. My husband and I had to go to two different spas instead of together; not romantic. If only there was a book spa online feature for guests to make appointments before arrival.The guest service desk is confusing because they seem to want to send you on timeshare meetings instead of serving as an concierge for the hotel. Also we were asked when we arrived if we were celebrating a special event, but unlike our first experience there was no special Jacuzzi with roses to await us during one of our night stay. Despite a few little things, we still love and would recommend sun palace.

1  Thank Tnycm

I am so very sorry. This isn't the way it ought to be. Your return stays should always be better than the one before.

I do apologize for our inability to provide your massages toghether, more a matter of space than anything else and will cut you a deal: Let me know when you are to return and I will personally make sure you get your couples massage. Write me at pwinkler@palaceresorts.com please.

I am happy to see that despite this issue you still love us and we want to make you love us even more. We know what it takes and are very willing to offer it.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Top notch resort...Great cross section of guests....Ages range from mid 20's to mid 60's...Staff extremely friendly, attentitive, and happy to help you in any way. Restaurants exceptional with excellant selection and quality of food.

Room Tip: Ocean view mid to upper floors the best as far as I could determine...We utilized some of our resort...
3  Thank Brian S

Most obliged for a great review. Not everyone is for writing a long diatribe on our services. As long as we get some kind of signal, such as yours, mentioning you were content and feel well taken care of we know from you we did the job you expected.

You do notice the ages of guests. Actually, it would seem that age is of no consequence as long as the common denominator is met. You favor us by naming such a coalescing bond as "relaxation", which in truth, defines Sun Palace.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We went at this beautiful hotel in june 2013, we had the best vacation ever, this hotel is beautiful, the food is absolutly excellent and the service is great. Maybe some trees and flowers would improve this already beautiful decor, BUT we had the most unpleasant experience due to the credit hotel that we had by buying 7 nigths at the sun palace. Our 1500$ credit gave us the opportunity to upgrade our room, and this was great until one of the "marketing agent", waiting for tourists at the lobby, tried to make us beleive we could go on tours for FREE spending the rest of our credits hotel.. To do that, they offer you to have really nice breakfast at the Moon Palace to get your voucher for the tour you've chosen...the deal they don't really explain to you is that you HAVE TO meet an other marketing agent and HAVE breakfast with her AND spend all your morning with this person, asking personal questions and try to sell you some kind of loan: 50 weeks vacation in 25 years at the same hotel chain for 28 000$ ..... Do you think you paid your vacation already? That would be a good deal .... NO .... It's 2440 for a couple each week no fligth included ...!!! We experienced an agressive marketing, 3 different persons came with 3 different offers.
We loved our vacations except this very nasty morning.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maria2110
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

You are extremely diplomatic. I very much liked the say you addressed the negatives but at the same time made it clear that you had enjoyed your stay.

This is a tricky issue and I hope not to put my hoof into my mouth: Vacation club is not for everyone. But we do have a very considerable number of members who are our most convinced guests. It really is an individual decision.

I am a hotel manager. I do not know at a given point how your reservation was made, My staff and I are trained to give you the best of services no matter where or how you got to us. I hope this is the reason that in the end, despite this bad moment, you considered us worthy of 5 points review.