“Sun Palace is a dream resort”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Sun Palace. I cannot say enough good things about this resort. It is WONDERFUL. The hotel is beautiful and immaculate. The service is the best we have ever had at any hotel. The staff was so friendly and helpful. They sincerely go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and happy. A shout out to the following outstanding employees:

Karina and Jose who served us delicious cocktails on the beach and Maria who did likewise at the pool...

Allen who was the cutest, friendliest waiter at Trotto...

Outstanding service in the spa from Sandra, Irma, Lulu, and Monica....best facial and massage I have ever had...wonderful!

The food was very good everywhere. It was heavenly having room service for breakfast. (You can actually have room service anytime...we just enjoyed having it for breakfast!)

We definitely want to return to the Sun Palace!

Room Tip: Be sure to enjoy the spa while you are there....fabulous!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank jjgwinn
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Why, thank you! Very complimentary words to our resort.

You are very kind to mention some of the outstanding people that are around to take care of you and yes, Room Service is one of the most popular outlets. It is nice to have a meal or two in your room, breakfast in bed or dinner on the terrace. It certainly adds to the romanticism that we like to have envelop our guests.

It is obvoius that you came here to relax and made the best of it. Relaxation is our speciality. And romantic relaxation is our best kept secret.

So don't be shy. Come back soon. We will be waiting for you.

Warmest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (6,279)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Wow-if you have never had an All-adult experience, you have to do this. Super clean property, staff makes you feel like royalty and great food. There are a couple of negatives, consider keeping the pool bar open later (6pm is NOT long enough) yeah, some people are ready to go in at this time, but others are just getting cranked up! The night life is boring. I went to bed one night at 9.... You must get bottled beer and keep it cold. The draft beer is warm and tasteless....
The only time I did not like the food was the 'romantic dinner' on the beach....it was gross, went straight to the buffet afterwards.
Service is simply impeccable. I asked for crazy stuff and they never once told me no. Overall, great trip and will bring more friends.

4  Thank Pepper124

If you stay in a Palace you should be treated like a blue-blood.
Thank you for feeling this way with us.

On the subject of keeping the pool bar open until later: I've had this request before and to be perfectly honest, gone along with it. But as a business I am subject to monetary considerations and staffing is one of them. After a few try-outs on this, we had to recant. It just isn't feasible to have a bar staffed for 2 or 3 couples if any. Chemicals must be added nightly to our pools to keep them clean and clear and lastly, as many rooms are on this side or the resort, we start getting complaints of noise. The pool bar, next to the quiet pool and steak restaurant is open till 10:30 at night, though.

We did have an issue with one of the draft beer machines which now has been taken care of. I do apologize.

If, however, your end consideration is to return, I trust you had a pleasant time. Let me know when you plan to come back. The second chance is always better than the first.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just returned from Cancun after visiting Sun Palace resort. This was our first trip to Cancun and wont be the last. This place is amazing! We arrived at the resort at 9:30am knowing that our room may not be ready until 3pm. We were offered champagne during our check-in process (nice touch). From the time we entered through the doors to completing the check-in process took only 30mins. Margarita did a great job explaining everything and answering all of our questions. During check-in she thoroughly explained the resort credits in detail indicating that we would have to pay an 11% tax on all credits used. We stayed 7days so we received 1500 credits. If we used them all we would only have to pay $165 at check-out. Some people complain about this but if you ask me this is a very good deal since the credits can be used for all sorts of different things including excursions that can cost upwards of $500 if you were to schedule them without the credits. After check-in they said if we were hungry we could could go down and eat and then swim while our room was being prepared. We took advantage of this. After eating, taking in the amazing views of the ocean and swimming we went to the front desk to see if their was a chance our room might be ready early and it was. We entered our room at 12pm, three hours early. When we scheduled the trip we bought a package off my sister who is a member so we received the concierge level. I highly recommend to upgrade to this level. The only issue we had with the room was the toilet would not fill back up so it wouldn't flush. I called the front desk and they arrived 5mins later and replaced the valve in the tank which fixed the issue. Very fast response. The next thing we did was go down and plan a few excursions with Michael. He did a great job of being up front about which excursions were worth doing and which ones would tie up your whole day. We ended up taking excursions to Telum and Isla Marjares. Telum was amazing and Ova was excellent at explaining the Myan culture to everyone. Isla was equally amazing to see. While at Isla we visited the Palace resort there and had lunch and went swimming. This is a much smaller resort which only has 60 rooms and at the time only had 12 couples staying there. We basically had the pool to ourselves at noon on a hot day. We also visited the Beach Palace slightly further down on the Cancun strip and had lunch. We were going to go swimming but it was very crowded with kids (this is fine if your traveling with kids). We decided to go back to our awesome resort to swim instead. We also took a public bus into town to do a little shopping. The bus is only $1 per person. I will say that taking the bus can be an experience. Their should be more Mexican's in Nascar. They drive very fast. Just try not to pay attention to their driving and take in the sights and you wont get nervous. The shopping experience in the flea market section towards the end of Cancun is something you have to do. Most everything starts at a high price and you bardar down from there. A good rule of thumb is to settle for about half of the original price. Ok, back to the resort. The food in the resort was excellent. I highly recommend the Asian and Mexican ones. We were'nt able to attend the Italian restaurant because my brother-in-law did not bring slacks which they require at this restaurant. Not a big deal since you have so many choices. They also have a steak dinner outside every night. All the food was amazing and prepared perfectly. The waiters are great and will accommadate you in any way. We also had a romantic dinner on the beach during the fire show, awesome! The hotel has something planned during the day all day long in the activity pool as well as in the lobby bar every night. We participated in water volleyball, blackjack in the pool, bingo in the pool, water aerobics and trivia. They also have beach volleyball going on a few times throughout the day. At night the lobby bar has an event every night. They had karaoke, game show night, couples night and a Michael Jackson tribute. All were very good. It seemed like everything we attended we went into a little half-hearted and had a great time. We met many new friends and had a wonderful time. We can't wait to go back to room 621. Thanks to everyone at the Sun Palace resort for making our vacation one we will never forget!!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor in room 621 and had no complaints. Room are beautiful! Beds are comfortab...
5  Thank Brad S

Very good composition. You have the makings of a writer. I read your description in one breath.

I am very happy to have been able to be the backdrop to a very nice trip as per your words. A lot of this goes back to you. Without a doubt you are easy going and ready for new experiences. You know you are in a foreign country and took full advantage of the sensations and adventures that travelling offers. Visited places that you wouldn't find anywhere else, rode the bus, haggled with the trinkets vendors and while there were some disappointments, such as the dress code you didn't let that become an issue or for that matter, dispensed with any kind of issues in favor of getting the best out of your hard-earned money which you did and passed with flying colors.

What a wonderful way of seeing and living life. The best!

We will be awaiting your return. There's so much yet to do, experience and feel...

Cordially,

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I were at Sun Palace July 10-18 and had an amazing time. At check in we were told that we had been upgraded to a Jr. Suite....we didn't even have to ask...great start! Katarina and Jose Daniel provided exceptional service at the beach each day. Katarina new exactly what we wanted and many times brought it to us before we asked. Daniel, the lifeguard on the beach, made us feel special and when he seen us coming would immediately find us a lounger and positioned the umbrella perfectly. Thanks for the beautiful seashells you found for us! Mario in the lobby bar also brought us our preferred beverage when he seen us come in for the evening entertainment.
The resort was in good shape, you can see some areas are aging, but it is very clean. The smell in the lobby throughout the day is amazing...I forgot to ask what it was. Maybe someone can respond and let me know.
The quality and variety of food was great! We didn't eat the same thing the entire time we were there. All of the staff in all of the restaurants were exceptional! They really make you feel special.
We will return and recommend this resort due to the quality of staff at Sun Palace. The staff we met work really hard and we recognize their hard work with tips. We wouldn't receive excellent service in the US and walk away without tipping and the service at Sun Palace is above and beyond.
We look forward to returning perhaps in February.

2  Thank Willwork4vaca
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

I wonder if you are the person I met one evening at the lobby who was so complimentary about the aroma we pipe in. This is one of those little details that distinguishes Palace Resorts from others and it has been a long trek to get the right combination of odors. I am very happy you noticed!

We do our best to maintain our building and facilities throughout the year. There are certain things that have to be put on hold, simply because the occupancy has been so amazing. Projects that may cause noise or other disturbances to our clients have to wait untill such time as we can seal off given areas completely without affecting our product. However safety and well-being are never, ever compromised.

We will hold you to your promise of returning in February. May I suggest you make your reservations soon as this is one of our busiest months?

Our best regards,

Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I recently celebrated our 15 year anniversary at the Sun Palace (we also never had a Honeymoon, so it served two purposes). I cannot say enough about this property and its staff. Outstanding in every way. The hotel was extremely clean (someone is constantly cleaning something) and the staff was the friendliest we have ever encountered - ANYWHERE. My wife commented, "It's a shame that we've lost this kind of customer service in the U.S." Special thanks to the entertainment staff: Jose, Augustin and the rest of the team - what a fun bunch! As I've read in other reviews, a special shout-out to Daniel the lifeguard: what an amazing resource! He's tremendous! My wife fell in love with Jussif the waiter. What a great smile and he was tremendous at helping us with our Spanish lessons. Finally, the unsung heroes of this hotel - the housekeeping/maintenance staff. Incredible. Simply incredible. They are underappreciated by many, but I believe they are the backbone of this hotel. If you're considering Cancun for a couples getaway - go to the Sun Palace - period.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top (eighth) floor, overlooking the pool. Very quiet and comfortable with a great v...
4  Thank Tim3972

Very endearing words for this resort. Thank you!

Actually, the travel industry is studded with gems. I would dare say everywhere. These -as you so aptly describe- "unsung heroes" are ladies and gentlemen who've found out their vocation is precisely in serving others.

I am very glad you had a good stay at Sun Palace. Will pass on your special mentions of those kids in the staff who went over and beyond for you and hopefully will enjoy the privilige of hosting you again in the near future.

With our warmest sentiments,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our 19th year at sun palace, and just as Beatiful as always.
Another 10 days enjoyed at the Pool,Beach,Restaurants Bars and Spa.
Pablo Winkler, You have an Amazing Staff. We cannot say enough about the Waiters,Bartenders,Supervisors, Security,Guest services, Maintanance and Housekeepers.
Also Pedro (Pool Maintainance),Daniel,(Lifeguard). And all the Tiredless Entertainment Staff!!!!!
Food as always was Delicious,Plenty of Great Cocktails, Wonderfull Entertainment to enjoy each day..
We Love Our Family at Sun Palace!!!!!!
Special Thanks To Mr. Jaime Ortega,Front Desk Manager, We wish you much Happiness as you Retire.,You will always be in our Hearts!
Mr. Edgar Poot ,Executive Chef,Bravo, The Best! Loved the Lamb Chops....
Mr. Pablo Winkler,General Manager,You are Great,Keep up the Good Work,Love you.
Hope to see Everyone next July.

THE SUN ALWAYS SHINES AT THE SUN PALACE........
Kenn and Kathy Krug

Room Tip: all rooms are great
3  Thank kathy k
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Did I tell you you get more beautiful by the year?

I miss you guys and my staff does too. Guests like yourselves are precious. And there are a few.

Our latest photograph is sitting on my desk right before my eyes, to remind me in difficult situations how lucky I am to be working in this place with such a talented team for mainly such vistors as yourselves. You simply make it worthwhile!

SALUDOS from everyone and their dog & parrott. Love ya.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

So I spent many a nights WAYYY before my wife and I's May 18th wedding looking for a special place to take her for our honeymoon. Boy did I do good... Surprised her with the destination. I am excited to say we enjoyed our week at the resort. Weather was perfect, room exceeded our expectations and the food was very enjoyable. We only had two dishes the whole week that were not our favorite. They were at the Asian restaurant. As far as the complaints of the drinks being watered down... I do not agree at all. Every drink I had was great and had just enough alcohol to make it enjoyable. When it comes to drinking, I advise you not to order a beer while on the beach. It will come to you almost room temperature due to distance between beach and bar. The resort credits is a nice plus and we only used a few of them for a massage... HIGHLY recommend this. We will be looking into coming back to Cancun and will definitely have the Sun Palace on our list of possible resorts.

Room Tip: Go see your room before you agree to sleeping in it. Our room was on the 8th floor and we were super...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marcus F
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I do have to ask: Given your high praise for our resort, what was it that we failed at to merit only a four points review?

Having said this. I do thank you immensely for giving us the privilige of hosting your honeymoon. We so like Honeymooners! Normally they don't even notice this (or do they?). They are beautiful. They dress up for each other. And they are all soooo attractive! You normally spot them from afar, holding hands, immersed in face to face conversation. Some are gregarious and by the end of the week have made lots of friends...they even get toghether for dinner. Big tables. It drives my waiters nuts! They are always fun and always caring. The most part keep to themselves, at least for the first few days. It is so interesting to see how they develop and become not only a couple but a social couple at that. It is fascinating!

We, at Sun Palace, send you our best wishes for a beautiful life toghether and thank you for sharing your unforgettable memories with us.

Godspeed!