“Paradise!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I had the joy of vacationing at the Sun Palace during the fourth of July week. It was our second trip to the Sun Palace in the past year. The welcoming and warm staff made sure our trip was perfect! Miriam and Cynthia always greeted us with smiles upon entering El Alamo as Enrique and Irving did as they served us. Silvio made sure everything was perfect for our "beach dinner" and the menu was outstanding for this special dinner. While we missed the customary "Chef's Dinner", Daniel and the staff outdid themselves at the July 4th celebration! The variety and presentation of foods were excellent as was the entertainment! Also, our nightly visits to La Tratto were enhanced by the service of Victor. Victor does an outstanding job as a waiter and makes sure every detail is thoroughly covered. We loved watching him make the Mayan coffee with great flourish! Each meal was fabulous! We also enjoyed each of our services in the Sun spa! Their aestheticians are well-trained and the best facials I have ever experienced came at the Sun Palace! The hotel is well-maintained and the setting is beautiful. It is the perfect location for a couples' vacation! We look forward to our next stay at the Sun Palace and reconnecting with our friends there! It truly is Paradise!

3  Thank 464guest
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Your very kind comment left me thinking: Religion says you will go to paradise if you have lived correctly. Therefore, if you felt you were in paradise whilst here you must be living life as you should. How am I doing so far?

Of one thing I am certain: You will get a preview of how you feel paradise should be only if you decide to do so, as is your case and enjoy what you do in life. Both in the day to day and on those rare moments we all get to enjoy certain things, situations, places and people the attitude towards all these and the many small or large opportunities for joy is an integral part of sucess.

Thank you for having a successful vacation! It is our honor and pleasure to host you.

Reciev our warmest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (6,276)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Very close to excellent. But sister resort, Le Blanc is a step above and is excellent so Sun Palace is very good but very close to excellent. This resort has a few physical handicaps but the well manage resort makes the best of everything. If the weather is rainy then you do not want to sit outdoors so the outdoor restaurants are empty and the indoor restaurants are overflowing. Relax and have a drink and I bet you ate enough earlier so you can wait for a little while. This resort has excellent service, very good food, great very clean rooms, smallish beach in width, and nice spa, but the employee focus on making sure you are having a great time starts at the top. The resort manager is always walking around to be sure everything is as good as it can be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank spill_beans

Thank you for a generally very complimentary review. I must say, upon looking at your other hotel reviews you are quite a demanding judge. Nothing wrong with this but getting compared to LeBlanc, which is another price and venue alltoghether is comparing apples and pears.

And yes, thank you for noticing our service standards. This is where I think we are second to none.

I am pleased that your sojourn was agreeable. That is all I can ask for. Now that the occupancy starts to be a bit lower, we will take care of those challenges you mention.

With best regards,

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and i spent 6 days at the Sun Palace earlier this month. If anyone has anything bad to say about this place, then they just can't be pleased. The beach, the food, the spa and most notably the service are all excellent.
Upon arrival, we were upgraded to concierge level into a spotless room on the 5th floor overlooking the Caribbean. We had no pressure to attend a timeshare presentation. They did ask, but we said we were not interested and that was the end of it. We never experienced any issues with noise in the hallways as some have mentioned.
The food in the Italian and Oriental restaurants is fantastic; as are the waiters, notably William in the Oriental and Allan in the Italian. The breakfast buffet at the Alamo has plenty of options daily. Rodolfo in the Alamo had the next cappuccino ready before my wife was finished with the first. Lunch at the Alamo was equally impressive with the selections changing daily. We were even able to order the turkey club sandwich off the room service menu as a special request. If you request something, they will make it for you as long as they have it. The staff is truly eager to please.
The beach was beautiful, and you can walk for miles. Yes, the waves were rough, but you can walk about 10 minutes down by the light house into much calmer waters for swimming. The servers on the beach were constantly coming over to see if we needed anything.
The resort credit system was explained to us and we knew exactly how much we would spend in taxes for everything, so there were no surprises at all. We used the credits for the couples massage, some wine upgrades (the house wines are pretty good too) and another 80 minute massage. They tell you exactly how much everything will cost in taxes prior to you receiving anything.
I really can't say enough about the staff. They are all so friendly, accommodating and so hard working. Please remember to tip them. These guys bust their humps and deserve it.
Mr. Winkler, you have a fine resort. We hope to be back in the future.

6  Thank PaulAnnaZ

Thank you for such thoughtful words.

Life is what you make of it and this does not exclude vacations. If you want to find flaws, you will. If that's what makes you tick. Fortunately you are in the group of people who are going to have a good time no matter what. You are priviliged.

Imagine spending a vacation being miserable...

You did say you'd be back. We will be looking forward to this.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

There for 9 nights in May/June...fabulous service, beautiful room, loved it & would go back in a heartbeat! We stayed on Level 2 just near the gym (request closer to lift if you don't like a long wander!) and always got in/out/about quickly

Never had a problem with beach or pool access, although the red flags were up most of the time (not a problem as I am a strong swimmer and just watch out for the rips - they are strong...

Spa hot stone massage was nice but nothing amazing - but it was free with credits so win!

After 9 days food was a little same-same (the grill restaurant was hands down the best for us and gorgeous views although loved the room service fajitas too much!) Partly not helped by 3 days of rain on the back-end of a tropical storm up north & us not leaving the room! The internet was faster than at home so you can get your tech fix and send photos to jealous peeps at home

Had been worried about the timeshare 'push' after reading reviews but didn't happen which was awesome...probably wouldn't have done the included room credit day trip to Chitzen Itza in retrospect - despite being free the actually time out of 12 hours at the site is about 2 hours - would recommend doing it privately as bus time, waiting for lunch (other buses) and 'special sale' offers everywhere made the day more standing around than doing. (Pop into the Ik kil? cenote if you do...looks amazing but hotel tour doesn't go to)

Recommend upgrading to get an in-room coffee maker if you are a caffeine fiend (or head to La Isla mall and find the cute coffee shop there - it's less than $1 bus ride/10 mins up the road) There are heaps of restaurants around if you are prepared to leave the hotel too

Caught a cab from hotel back to airport - they said cheapest and always had taxis out front waiting so supereasy and fast

Next trip will likely be Cabo as found Cancun overall American-style touristy and non-Mexican but if I was back in Cancun, this is where I would go...I don't even care what other hotels are there :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JaneyDAustralia
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

I enjoyed your "boutique feel" description very much. That's what we strive for.

I always like when my guests feel confident enough to jump into a bus and go touring our hotel zone. I definitely correspond into your coffee fiend group and we do have pretty decent coffee in the resort. Ask for a double express. That'll get you going.

Cancun is definitely sort of "Americanized". The buildings and resort and restaurant facilities will remind you of any modern city in the USA. But then, so do cars, wi-fi, cell phones and computers. In this global environement it is difficult to tell things apart. But: I think service is completely Mexican. The warmth and sincerity of the people that work, not only in Sun Palace but all around this destination...that, you will not find outside this country. And I'm only quoting my clients.

Thank you so much for favoring us with your visit. It is a long, long way from where you live. Therefore we are most honored to have been able to offer a good sojourn.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We wanted a get a way, and the Sun Palace gave it! For someone whom is educated in Hotel Hospitality, the Sun Palace is the first place that turely impressed me but not just that the staff gives you real personalities. Which made us feel welcome and safe. Ya its Mexico, and not everything is going to be on your wish list from home but so many things that one wouldnt expect is present. The Sun Palace is welcoming, friendly, helpful, clean, full of endless amenties, and lets not forget the breath taking Caribbean Ocean. Sun Palace's beach is Amazing, with a Lifeguard... which came by an told us he would be back tomorrow as his shift had ended and he wanted us to be careful out in the water, as well as one day we three girls where taken by a under current and when I stood up the LG wasjust a few feet from me, now judging the distance that he had to travel from his LGhut, he was watching us closely. Thank you LG!,, and yes we're fine we just wasnt expecting that wave. I have to say we are from The Heart Land of Cajun Ville, our men are some good ole courty boys, "Wait" is not a healthly thing when it comes to eating. So needless to say our fav resturant was the Great Steak:1. Because our boys like steaks and 2. Our Waiter: Arturio, we had such a great fun time visiting with Arturio...Whoop Whoop to you Arturio... Wish i was walking across the outside patio now just to hear your upbeat Whoop Whoop. Thanks for making our experience wonderful. The pools are clean and refreshing. Our rep Maria was helpful as she had her work cut out for her, as this group of three brothers and wifes play hard and relax even harder.and not so easily enterained, we are a darely group. Maria you did a fine job with our playtimes. Thank you. I hope you got to go to see the circus!!!! The relaxation is perfect, sun around or spa around, NICE!!! We all enjoyed our get-a-way and didnt expect The Sun Palace to bring it as they did. Cant wait to return. ;)))) tried to post a pic but no luck

Room Tip: We had room 808 very top and all the way to the right if one is standing facing the hotel on the bea...
5  Thank Tammie B
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

I totally agree with you. Mexico is Mexico and Home is Home. If everything were the same, why bother travelling?

Knowing both countries quite well I can say each has its ups and each has its downs. And they are different.

The point is that you enjoyed your adventure and in the end that is all that matters. I am very taken by your kind description of my resort, its people and its service. No doubt this also endeared you to my staff and turned into a win-win situation for everyone involved.

I also suppose that the Whooops! are learned from the Mexican trio. Correct? They are very professional and a pleasure to listen to.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us. I trust this will be one of many visits.

Receive our best regards,

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have been to the Sun Palace several times; each time luring us back again and again. An all adult resort and spa, the Sun Palace has everything within just a few steps. The food was superb and the chefs will make you anything you desire. I spent 5 hrs in the spa from haircut to pedicure, marine bath and scrub to aromatherapy massage and the Palace Resorts continue to have the best spa therapists in all of Mexico, in my opinion. The staff are not only the utmost professional, they are interesting, fun and they will accommodate your every wish. With our credits I had a photo shoot on the beach, romantic dinner, spa treatments and more. We watched a mother turtle come in to lay her eggs, and on the Rios Lagartos river tour, we saw hundreds of Pink Flamingos, and visited the ruins at Ek Balam in the Yucatan. It was a glorious trip. The Sun Palace is a fantastic vacation and wedding destination.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are ocean view. One side you can see the fun pool; the other side you can see the q...
6  Thank nelllang507

Yes! I can figure that you like to take care of yourself. Our spa is certainly the place to go. How wonderful that you were satisfied with its services.

On the other hand you had some very impressive encounters with Mother Nature. The flamingos at Rio Lagartos are quite a sight to behold. A pink cloud coming and going on the mirror of water so saline that only they can withstand it. And of course, thank you for mentioning the turtles that are now really coming in. We have 70 nests to date and expect at least double this amount for this season. So our guests will help preserve around 15,000 baby turtles this year. Isn't that great?

Thank you so much for mentioning a number of attractions unique to this area. I do hope other travellers' interest will be aroused by your very thoughtful comments.

And when you come back, there are still countless marvels to be seen and experienced. We will be waiting for you.

Our best thoughts,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our trip to Sun Palace was amazing. The accommodations were great. The pools, beach, spa and restaurants were amazing. But the most impressive thing were the employees. Everyone of them made you feel special and so welcome. They always had a smile on their faces and made you feel like they truly wanted to do nothing else but wait on you. What a great vacation

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the concierge level. So worth the extra special treatment you receive
6  Thank ccsamson

Well, you see, that's what we sell: Smiles.

Smiles are all over the World. There are many kinds of smiles.

We specialize in smiles from the heart. They are ingrained in Mexican culture and have a sunny quality that comes from the bronze color of our skin and the warmth of our climate.

And after your stay, you know what I am refering to.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Hope to see you soon.