“Great Honeymoon Location!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I just spent our honeymoon at The Sun Palace in Cancun. We could not have picked a better honeymoon location. Sun Palce is so well kept and the staff were great! We were both very impressed with the cleanliness of the pool and beach areas. We never had problems getting a chair or a towel. Our favorite restaurants were Steak and El Alamo but all of the food and drinks were phenomenal. The staff kept our mini bar in our room well stocked and came in daily to change out towels and make our bed. We stayed in an ocean view room with a large balcony and loved having the lounge chairs to lay on. We used the steam room and sauna in the spa area almost every day and also paid for massages. It was money well spent! The massages were very relaxing and a great way to spend the afternoon when it rained one day. I would highly recommend the Sun Palace to anyone interested in an all inclusive resort in Cancun. Also, if you go here and eat at Alamo for breakfast or lunch, request to sit in Ricardo's section. He was our favorite waiter!! Thank you Sun Palace for giving us such great memories and making our honeymoon so amazing!!

2  Thank Alyssa B
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Quite on the contrary: Thank you!

For bestowing on us the honor of being hosts to a lifelong memory.
For your kindness in this review.
For your good comments on Ricardo.

But most of all, for giving this unique trip the beauty it deserves.

May you always be you.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

From check in to check we had a fantastic time.
The staff was heplful and pleasant, the room and view was fantastic, the food was great and facilities exellent!
We will be back to Cancun and the Sun Palace!
Great trip!

1  Thank Robert D

Thank you very much.

This is what I like to hear from my guests.

I hope to see you soon again.

With best regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We went here for our honeymoon and absolutely LOVED it!! Everyone was super sweet and always helpful! We had no problems whatsoever with this resort.
The food was wonderful, had no problems with it! Did not get sick at all!
There was always someone down by the beach who brings your beach chairs out along with a table. Always a friendly staff member taking orders for your drinks.
The room was wonderful!! Very spacious. The water pressure was just right. The beds were super comfortable. Housekeeping was great too!!
Really have no complaints for this resort and highly recommend it! We would love to go back!

2  Thank aesparkle2002
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Elated about your Honeymoon experience!

Getting an upset stomach, at least in Cancun is a thing of the past, thankfully. At least when it comes to food handling. The torrist industry is very conscious of the infamous "Montezuma's revenge" and every reputable hotel and resort has health and safety protocols in place.

Do people get sick? Yes. Oftentimes they drink too much and eat too much trying to make "the most of their vacation". And then there are the delicate stomachs that no matter what..

But back to you: The point is you had a great trip and in the end, this is what you came here for...and hopefully will return.

Our best wishes to both of you,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Went to Sun Palace May 1st thru May 11th, had a conceirge room with an amazing view. So many things to say and please remember that everyone's taste is different-what they find important in a vacation may not be important to you. I will first start by mentioning that this was my 10th trip to Mexico, we have been to Mexico 4 times in the last 18 months we love Mexico. I will do my best to break down my review:
Check In: We arrived late morning greeted with a flower and cool wash cloth.Check in was amazing, we were personally taken up to our floor to meet with the conceirge and our room was ready early. We loved our view of the ocean, breathtaking!! People wonder why put a big jacuzzi in the middle of the room? Well at the end of the day you open up the curtains and fill up the tub , grab a beer and look at the beautiful ocean, it's a "no brainer" We loved it and took a jacuzzi everyday admiring our beautiful view.

Room: Nice, clean. bathroom doors and shower smoked glass( I don't know why this is but all the resorts do it??) We were on the 5th floor, every room has a beautiful view.

Beach: Amazing, the best beach I have ever been too. Beautiful aqua water. Sand so fine it felt like silk on your feet. I am normally a pool person but this vacation I sat on the beach everyday. You walk down the steps and there is staff right away that helps you get a spot. Beach servers, Jose, Justiff and Victor amazing guys great service and would get anything for you.

Pool: This is a smaller type resort, so the main pool is the activity pool all sorts of action if you want if not then there a other small quiet pool you can go to. I like a larger pool but as I said I was on the beach the whole time this trip

Staff:: Amazing, every restaurant we went into the Manager would come up and ask if we were happy, customer service perfect. Everyone tries so hard to make your vacation wonderful remember that when you want to complain about something!!!

Resort Credits: How nice this was!!! Take the time to meet with the front desk about this they will explain everything. We did an 80 min couples massage, amazing. We also did the professional photographer. I don't know why people posted bad comments about how confusing this resort credit is it's not!! Very simple, you pay tax how what you spend. Our massage cost $40.00 used almost 400 resort credits for it. depending on how long you stay you either get $300 or $400 towards spa. Any questions just ask. Shame on the people who complained about this, there were no surprizes on our bill we knew exactly what we were going to be charged. Remember some people have to complain about everything!!

Check out: Simple, fast and easy on Conceirge Level

There is no room for complaints here. I have read Trip Advisor several months before my trip and the negative comments are crazy, Whoever has anything negtive to say about Sun Palace either doesn't appreciate life and the opportunity to vacation or had too much time on their hands. Remember it is about what you like. If you want a hopping large resort this is not the place, it is smaller, but so awsome. Totally about relaxing and making your vacation the best.

Love the staff will miss them and thank you Sun Palace for being the best.

Room Tip: Every room is great would recommend Concierge and book it ahead of time
6  Thank FunSunstl

Indoubtedly one of the best reviews.

I loved your description of the usage of the jacuzzi. Precisely what it was meant for.
The frosted glass in toilet and shower stalls is to give some privacy, yet let natural light in. Of course they have lights. But solid doors make it look so lugubrious...

I agree that many of the not so good comment are from very special people. But the hotel industry deals with all kinds...Of course, when we gat such raving comments as yours they make our day brighter. The purpose of running a resort is to offer great experiences. You certainly succeeded in conveying this.

I so hope to be able to host you again...

Very best regards,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

some of the staff at the sun Palace were super nice and amicable but I am sorry to say that some of the staff at the hotel were rude. The front desk was great, the shop NOT VERY GOOD except for the lady that help us at the shop on last day of our stayed. The Life guard at the beach was AWESOME he makes grass hopers out of palm and look real he gave me one, THe waiter at the beach was AWESOME the lady not good at all, she was slow and not very friendly. The restaurant staff not very friendly at all. The food was great at all restaurants SPEACIALLy the STeak house. The staff at the Steak house takes the 5 star ratings all of them but not the breakfast restaurant, and not the Italian restaurant. The one that was always great in all aspects of the customer services was the Steak House. The guess relations desk where I booked my facial the guy that help me was RUDE and not helpful or nice. Not knowleable of the services provided by the SPA - The Facial WAS GREAT THE LADY that did my facial was SUPER! The lady that did my Manicure and Pedi was AWESOME TOO

Room Tip: ask to see the room as we had that option and got an OK room. Upgrade before getting to resort, oth...
1  Thank Lorena S

I am rather baffled at your comments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting them. It is only that you seem so selective.

I wonder if I could ask you to elaborate a bit more on what it is that you found wrong with certain servers as will as with the breakfast buffet and the Italian restaurant. My e mail is pwinkler@palaceresorts.com .

A priori I apologize for the incoveniences you mention. 4 point reviews are certainly neither the experience I want for my guests nor the satisfaction level I wish my resort to receive.

I do hope to have the honor of your return and if you decide to do so, please let me personally know in order to give you the best service.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We returned two weeks ago from our ten day stay April 24th - May 4th 2013 at Sun Palace and spend part of every day wishing we were back already!

Up front we have been Palace members since 2008 and haven't regretted that decision once. This trip only further added to our complete satisfaction. Sun Palace, from it's GM, Pablo Winkler, to the maintenance staff, has a philosophy of making each guest's vacation all it can be. I'll keep this as short as possible.

-Transfer to the resort on arrival: Flawless and due to Sun's location very quick!

-Check in:Greeted with cool towels, champagne and a flower. After checking in and getting room keys they sit you with a vacation planner in the lobby to help schedule spa treatments, excursions etc. Yes they do "invite " you to a membership presentation at Moon Palace. If you're not interested say no, easy enough. If you are interested it lasts about 90 minutes, gives you an opportunity to check out another property. Spend the day, have dinner at a Tepanyaki/Hibachi table at Momo (very enjoyable but get a reservation ahead of time) and request some Spa Credits for your time and get an extra massage! Our vacation planner was Maria Elenar, if you stay here, try to sit with Maria. She was extremely helpful for our entire stay!

-Rooms: They are beautiful, clean and comfortable. Large comfortable beds/linens, two person hot tub, all the amenities you need, restocked fridge and liquor dispenser, and 90% or more of the rooms have a balcony facing the best beach in Cancun with wonderful views of the most beautiful ocean! Housekeeping did a great job with the room and turn down service all week!

-Beach: Again, beautiful to look at. Water can be a little rough but it's fun to splash around in. Beach staff will help set up or move your chairs and umbrellas and servers are quick with beverage and snack service.

-Pools: There are a few smaller quiet pools facing the ocean which are very quiet and due to their size the water is very warm by early afternoon. We spent most of our days at the Main Pool, which is great! Not huge but never crowded due to the small size of the resort. Beautiful infinity edge view to the ocean. Activities are varied there, pool and beach volleyball, horseshoes, trivia and bingo games. Fairly low-key but that's how we like it! Bartenders/servers at the pool and snack bar are awesome! Norberto and Lemuel at the bar, servers Concepcion, Elfega, Consuelo, Luis, Karina and Mauricio are all fantastic, quick and friendly!

-Lobby Bar: Nice relaxing place for a drink before or after dinner. They do some of the entertainment events here like Karaoke and a Couples Party which are a little more on the rambunctious side, but most evenings are quieter with a piano player or a duo that plays there several nights during the week. They also set up a small continental breakfast there early in the morning if you are going out for the day early and can't make the breakfast buffet at the Alamo. They also set up a ping pong table in the afternoon and have cards and other games you can sit down and play if you want. Again here the servers were either Mauricio or Karina. They are wonderful, quick and friendly.

Food: Very good to excellent and beyond. Some highlights:

Breakfast at El Alamo: Buffet with two fresh food stations were you can get cooked to order eggs, omelets, french toast, pancakes and waffles. Enough items on the buffet to not get bored. Unless you decide to eat everything ever day. Diana at the omelet station was quick, friendly and willing to go out of her way to get something you might want that you didn't see. We tried to sit with the same waiter every morning. Rudolfo has been with Sun for a while. Friendly and professional by day two we didn't have to order our beverages. He got them for us as soon as he saw us headed for the table! His company was a great way to start each day!

Lunch: They have a similar buffet/fresh grill set up for lunch at El Alamo similar in quality and service to the breakfast, but the weather was perfect every day so we always had lunch at the poolside snack bar/grill. The variety of the buffet is small due to it's lack of space but was always loaded with salad items, potatoes, vegetable, fresh fruit, chips with the best guacamole in the world and delicious ice cream(try the coconut). The grill always had fish, burgers hot dogs and steak cooked to order. Jose, the chef at the grill made me a sandwich with grilled chorizo on a burger bun with fresh grilled pineapple and onion that was awesome!! If you have the chance and like chorizo, order it! Jose was great and always smiling and willing to go out of his way for something special ordered. They also have a menu of room service type items that you can order from there. My wife really liked the fried grouper fingers and ordered them several days.

-Dinner at El Alamo. The Mexican a la carte restaurant at night was great. It's Mexico, eat Mexican food!! The chicken mole delicious, one of the best moles I've ever had. The Yucatan pork also delicious. All of the food there really really good. Well executed and beautifully presented. One evening when my wife wasn't sure what she wanted, the on duty Manager, Daniel suggested something off menu for her and the chef gladly made it. Just a simple chicken burrito but well prepared. The chef actually came out of the kitchen and checked with us to make sure we enjoyed our meals that night. Nice touch Guillermo!

-Dinner at The Steak: Dinner with a view! They set it up just outside El Alamo next to the quiet pools every evening. Again a buffet with made to order grilled items. It's a charcoal grill where you can pick from a number of different items. Fish, seafood, pork chops and steaks. I had 3 different cuts of steak on our evenings there. Each delicious and cooked perfectly to order. My wife really liked the shrimp. Side items like vegetables potatoes and rice were served with the entrees. The buffet had delicious soups, salads, desserts and fruit. On the subject of fruit. I've never had so much delicious juicy sweet fruit as I've had every time I go to the Sun! Mangoes are always in season when we go and are wonderful! Service at this one is great. Jorge Martin who is my favorite waiter in the world, and his partner in crime Arturo are a great team. Love you guys!

-Dinner at La Trotta: The Italian restaurant with a great varied menu and relaxed elegant atmosphere. If you can get one of the tables in the section that overlooks the ocean and has a glass floor with some rocks laid under it, very romantic and quiet! The Italian selections are very good. Well prepared and presented. No, it's not like going to Little Italy in New York or the North End in Boston, but excellent. They have a cart with assorted cheeses that are very tasty! On this visit I noticed the lamb that was once on the menu was taken off. I mentioned it to the waiter, Allan just in conversation. He came back to the table a few minutes later and informed me that the chef had lamb in the kitchen that night and asked if I would like some for dinner!! I did order it, perfectly cooked with a wonderful rosemary sauce with roasted potatoes with some peppers. Not only delicious, but the fact that they went out of their way to get me something special off the menu was fantastic. The young chef was kind enough to come out and ask how I liked the dinner and made sure we had anything we needed or wanted. I love this place!! Allan, our waiter that evening, was also excellent. Professional, warm, there when we needed him for anything and barely visible when we didn't. To me, a mark of a true professional! Thanks again Allan! One of the restaurant manager's at the Sun, Effrain works here a few nights a week when he is not at the Oriental or running an event. He is truly a gem and one of our favorite people here. If you get a chance to see him, say Hello for us!

-Chef's Dinner: We attended the special Chef's Dinner on Thursday evening which they do every week. It's limited in attendance and tends to fill up early. It cost $99 per person, nut you can use your credits to pay for it and just have to pay the 11% tax. Our total additional cost for the evening, $22! It is a specially created menu that is presented by the chef in front of the diners. Each dish explained and prepared in front of you. Each course presented with a paired wine selection. Delicious and very interesting and entertaining. If you have an interest in things culinary, definitely a worthwhile take! I would spend the $200 out of pocket to do it. The dinner is hosted by GM, Pablo Winkler, who does an excellent job interpreting for Exec Chef Edgar Poot. Pablo's dry sense of humor and knowledge of the food and wine are great! On the subject of Exec Chef Poot, he can often be seen around the property during the days/evenings and is very friendly and approachable. He likes to hear opinions and is working very hard at making the culinary experience at the Sun better all the time. Kudos Chef!!

Entertainment/Events: The staff work very hard to involve in and inform about the activities and events that are going on while you're there. The team is managed by Aaron who is doing a great job. The evening/Vegas/cabaret type shows we've seen and done several times and not really something we are into. Cheesy? A bit, but again just not really my thing. Fire Dance and Drum show on Friday nights is very entertaining.The games/couples nights can be a lot of fun. Activities during the day at the resort and around the pool are fun. Again the staff work hard to let folks know what/when is going on without being pushy or annoying. And they work hard out there in that hot sun every day and never seem to lose energy. Jose Francisco(Frank), Vanessa, Javier and Augustin were just a lot of fun every day and a pleasure to hang around with and get to know. Miss and love you guys!

-Resort Credits: You hear a lot on here about the program good and bad. My advice, is use the credits! The program is not complicated, just take the time to educate yourself to the ins and outs. Everything is in writing as far as how much of them you can use for what. It explains that you are responsible for the 11% tax on the credits that goes to the government. We used our credits for the concierge level upgrade, 50 minute couples massages, Chef's Dinner, photos and a few wine upgrades during the week. All of which added to the quality and enjoyment of our vacation. The cost for us at the end of the week for these added items, a whopping $190 US and we didn't even use all the credits. Educate yourself. Email the resort or PalaceResorts.com prior to traveling and they will help you understand the program and even help you schedule some things before you get there!! Wicked easy!

If you are planning a trip to Cancun this adults/couples only property is awesome! I can't imagine taking a vacation anywhere else that could approach the level of joy we feel about coming back here. Their approach and philosophy filter down from the top through the management and to every member of the staff. It feels to us like "Our guests work hard to be able to take their vacations, and if they choose to spend it here with us, we will treat them like special friends and family members and do whatever we can for them!". Thank you Sun Palace for a wonderful, relaxing vacation! WE CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK NEXT YEAR TO OUR VACTION HOME/FAMILY AGAIN, LOVE YOU ALL!

3  Thank cindyron42608
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We had an awesome experience at Sun palace resort. Very friendly staff and great food 24x7. We had awesome dinner at the beach. Bartender at the lobby bar was very nice. He will make all the drinks that you can think of. Saaraim and Nayeli were great servers at our concierge dinner at the beach. Overall the experience was great and we would love to go again and stay at Sun palace. They have specials on their website and we got cheaper deal directly through their website. It is definitely value for the money!!

2  Thank Gaurav G
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for your very kind words.

The bartenders at Sun Palace are a very creative bunch. What with all there is to be mixed it never ceases do amaze that they still can invent "new" concotions and apparently quite good ones.

It is very pleasing that you found us to provide good service for your money. The most expensive is definitely what you don't like no matter if you paid a lot or little.

We will look forward to receiving your next visit soon.

Best regards,