“A Wonderful Vacation at Sun Palace”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Las Vegas, Nevada
“A Wonderful Vacation at Sun Palace”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at the Sun Palace for ten days in April and had a wonderful time. The resort was what we expected from the Palace Chain. We were greeted upon arrival with scented clothes and champagne. Our check in was very smooth, and we were shown to our presidential suite to await our friends who arrived a few hours later. We experienced great service during our ten-day stay. The service at the beach was exceptional, and I have to give big kudos to Consuelo Estrella who served us great food and drink daily. We had a wonderful meal in the Italian the last night which was prepared by the chef and served by Danielle. He had waited on us before and always did a great job. Oscar, the manager, was wonderful recommending wines and answering all of our questions. We also really enjoyed our meals at the Mexican and Asian restaurants as well as our dinner on the beach. We went to Dadyo’s one night to go dancing. This was a tour you could purchase through the resort. Transportation was provided as was a bottle of champagne; we paid extra to have other kinds of drinks. We were there for around four hours, and it was really fun even for us oldies. My husband golfed three times at Moon Palace and once at Riviera Cancun. He had a great time though he would like the service carts on the golf course to be provided again. The spa services were amazing. We had two couple’s massages – Sampurai and Hot Stone – they were both wonderful. We also took the yacht out one day and had a great time. The food was plentiful and beyond amazing!! The crew of Oscar, Eduardo, and Mauricio did a great job of taking care of the boat while Leonardo and Gustavo kept us well fed and hydrated!!! Jorge was our driver for this trip as well as to the airport. He is great. Our room was cleaned daily and we had turn down, treats, and fresh towels every night. We had great towel animals our last two days. I wish I would have caught the name of the gentlemen who took care of our room as he did a great job. Finally I have to acknowledge our concierge Rocío Archundia who did a wonderful job setting up everything we requested. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chelli41
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
I must assume that you are one of our Diamond members.

This cathegory is quite special and has according priviliges. It is not easy to attain so we are certainly on the lookout to satisfy this unique level of guests. It is good to know that you were happy with the services provided.

Palace Resorts prides itself in raising the bar of our services constantly. This is the way the business world works in favor of all those fantastic people who invest in our resorts. We must keep upgrading in order to have a solid base that assures our Members of a solid foundation for their different and several investments in our product.

Thank you for your glowing comments and for your mention of the employees that left an impression during your stay. They will be duly recognized.

With highest sentiments,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,747)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed at the Sun Palace 4 days in May. Coming from Las Vegas, were the customer service it is held at such a high standard i was truly impressed with the service at Sun Palace. From the greeting at the time of arrival to the departure i had the best time ever. The service is phenomenal, I was shocked with the amount of hello's i received on a daily basics. I would love to remember many names of the staff but i cannot remember all of them. At the front desk i was welcomed by Geobanni Brito, young fella with exceptional attitude and great skills, at the buffett i was assisted several times by Rodolfo, what a great guy. My girlfriend and I were very please with his attentive service and quick response to our needs. Silvio was our server in the Mexican restaurant at night, phenomenal service as well. We are planning to comeback soon, and we decided that we are not going anywere else in Cancun unless we stay at Sun Palace. Thanks so much for providing such an exceptional experiance. We will see you soon.

1 Thank Joshua P
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
It is very nice to get such comments from a fellow tourist-city-dweller as Las Vegas.

It is quite unique how cities dealing primordially with tourism have something in common. There are those that understand the importance of a city-wide special consideration towards our main source of incomes and then there are the "gold-diggers" who no matter what want to make the fast buck. These second types are not liked in Cancun. I must assume you have such unsavory characters in Vegas as well.

So please, receive our sincere thank you for your especially important descriptions.

We will hope to see you back soon.

With warm thoughts,
Milwaukee
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I just returned from a 5 day stay at Sun Palace, May 8th - 12th.

Overall, my wife and I (5 year anniversary) had a great experience, and would reccomend this hotel to other people looking for a similar relaxing experience.

Highlights:

Service - This has been mentioned in most of the reviews, but every aspect of the service at this hotel is outstanding. Despite an occasional accent/translation related issue, everyone who works at this hotel has such a positive and friendly attitude. The employees seem greatful that you are staying at their hotel. I dont know if they brainwash them or send them to bootcamp, but it is a totaly different vibe than I have experienced at other all-inclusives or even traditional 4/5 star hotels. When we ventured into Cancun on our own, me and my wife talked about how jarring it was to have to deal with normal people again.

The Property - Everything about this hotel is beautiful. The pools, the beach, the rooms, the restaurant. It has a more modern and sophisticated feel than most of the tropical all-inclusives, and is kept up increadibly well. We spent most of our time in the activity pool, but it is so close to the ocean you are basically on the beach at the same time. It is pretty awesome. This is a smaller all-inclusive, which has its pros (easy to get around, easy to make friends, and easy to get to know the super-friendly staff) and its cons (only 4 restraunts, and... I cant think of anything else). It still has all the features of a large all inclusive (multiple pools, swim-up bar, day and evening activities).

The Food - The only knock on the food would be the limited room service menu, which wasn't very exciting. We ate at 3 of the 4 reastraunts, and the food was really very good. The service, presnetation (fancy plating), and food quality were all the best I have experienced at an all-inclusive, and hold up well against hotel reastraunts at more traditional properties as well. The italian restraunt is the best, but I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet and daily lunch by the activity pool. This is the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen, which had a plethora of options, most notably a rotating cast of exotic (to me atleast) mexican dishes that were all delicious. The oriental restraunt has an awsome vibe, and while I would only rate it is above avergae asian food, the service and ambiance make it a great dinning experience. If you are a big wine connesuer, you will likely be a little disapointed. The options were limited, and from what little I know about wine there were not a lot of great options available. That being said, all the bars made excellent cocktails... and not just fruity tropical drinks (also great), but also great martinis, manhattans, and old fashoneds.

Quick Notes:

Sleep - As others noted, the hallway noise carries into the rooms a little bit. It never woke us up or anything, but if you are awake and quiet in your room you will hear what is going on in the hallway.

Resort Credits - These were clearly explained at check-in, and using them was a breeze. They will also push the time-share trip to Moon Palace (for additional credits), but a quick and firm "no" ended that conversation immediatley. We did wine upgrades and spa treatments, since no room upgrade was available. While the wine is overpriced, when you use credits you only pay the 11% tax and fee charge... which actually makes it a fair deal for average wine.

IN SUMMARY:

If you are looking for a sophisticated and relaxing all-incluive experience, this is a great hotel. While having only 4 restraunts might be a problem if you were here for a longer stay, you also have the option to go dine at the nearby Beach Palace, Moon Palace, and LeBlanc.... expanding your restraunt options to over a dozen.

And while this place isn't "party central", they do a great job of keeping the energy high at the activity pool. In addition to the swim-up bar, they have twice daily pool volleyball, water polo, water arobics, bingo, trivia, etc. If you want a more quiet experience, they have another pool without the loud music and activites, as well as a beach with waiter service.

So you can really have whatever experience you want, and as I highlighted at the top... the great service and the beaty of the property should be a positive for any traveler.

Room Tip: Floor 8 has smaller balconies, but the "highest views". Rooms x001 - x005 on each floor ha...
2 Thank Nick D
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
The time you took for such a complete review is amazing.

I agree with you that our breakfast buffet has a myriad of options. I wonder what makes other reviews talk about "limited".

As you point out: Our staff is greatful for the jobs. More so, for the type of clientelle associated with them. For the most part our guests are caring, well bred individiuals who understand our primary language is not English. Everyone tries their best to make themselves understood. I guess kind asking is the ground for good communication.

My staff and I thank your for your emotive words. It is our pleasure when our guests let us know of a good stay.

With best regards,
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Everyone Is extremely nice and cater to you. They have a great sense of humor , and the food is excellent. They have shows /activities almost every night for entertainment. Beach volleyball and pool volleyball , water aerobics .jet sking , parasailing . Overall amazing vacation well worth the money , and great for couples.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Laurie P
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Very happy you enjoyed your sojourn with your significant other.

That's what we are here for.

Just a note on the various activities you mention: jet skiing and parasailing are not activities the resort recommends other than with designated purveyors. Please do not use the ones offered on the beach. They are not legal and we do not know what type of maintenance their equipments have. We disclaim any responsibility associated with them.

We hope to see you back once again.

Best regards,
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Loved the peace and quiet but close enough to action if wanted. Wind was strong during our visit and the resort lacked a deck that was sheltered. Polite staff and very clean large rooms. There was never a wait for anything. Found the house wines to be poor and upgrades expensive. Alcohol menu was also limited. Not many after dinner liqueurs or scotches. Not what you would expect from a resort of this class. Food was quite good but not great however steaks were done just right. The resort also lacks a nice bar or any real nightlife. Overall though, a quite relaxing stay.

Room Tip: use credits for upgrade
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OllieB152
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
At night we have two outside restaurants and two interior ones to offer precisely different options should weather be a bit roguh as it tends to be.

There is nothing we can do against the wind in the way of "sheltered decks" because there is always the issue of heat and humidity.

As for our alcohol options, unless you are looking for something very specific we have what most people ask for. There is an undening list of all types of beverages so I doubt any one all inclusive bar could have all.

We are also looking for beverages that people ask us to have and what is available in Mexico we do purchase if there is a sesible demand. It makes no sense to have a bottle from which w pour a couple of drinks and then it stays unused for months.

Greetings!
ontario
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Wanted to write a quick review to compare 2 of the Palace resorts we have stayed at to maybe help those trying to make decisions. We are currently at the Sun Palace in a concierge suite as guests of a Diamond member. We have previously stayed at Moon Palace in the Presidential Suites. Please keep in mind that we are very seasoned 5 star travellers.
Here it goes:
Beach.. Sun wins hands down
Crowd: Sun is either under 30 or over 60. Moon is everyone.
Food: Comparable, but more selection at Moon
Service: Pretty comparable. No matter what we asked for at Moon, no problem. At the Sun a special request for a bottle of Liquor had to go to management and it took several requests to have diet coke instead of Pepsi in our minibar. Earl Grey tea... Forget it at the Sun.
Housekeeping: No comparison. Sun Palace is awesome. Our room is cleaned, turned down & restocked at the times we requested. At Moon Palace housekeeping was terrible.
Spa: Moon Palace has a great spa. Sun Palace spa was a bit of a joke but the service at both were very comparable.
If a HOTEL with a great beach, impeccable housekeeping & a very quiet time is what your looking for; Sun Palace will not disappoint. If you are looking for a RESORT with action, great service & food and the beach is not high on your priority; Moon Palace it is.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lorie H
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Your title holds true for most things in life. Don't you think.

Other than your comment of the minibar, which is not what I want for my guests you make a very good comparison between 3500 rooms and 250.

I sure am happy to be the Manager of the smaller unit. I can then take care of my guests personally. Those, of course, looking for what we offer.

Thank you very much for this review.

Cordially,
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Sun Palace was a great escape for my wife and I. We visited from 4/28/13 - 5/7/13 and it was a great stay. the staff was amazing! The food was superb. At night around 5pm, the set up the steak restaurant and it is cool. The tables are by the ocean and the ambience was great.

We stayed in room 615 and it had an extended patio and a great ocean view. The matress was soft but not too firm. I like a softer matress and I would say this was good but my wife likes a little firmer mattress and she was happy with it.

The service was impeccable! We upgraded to concierge and it is totally worth it. They really work to make you feel like important and pampered. I want to go back!!

Check out water volleyball. If you see Edel, spike him!

Room Tip: Any room is supposed to be good. We stayed in 615 and it had an extended patio and a mega ocean view...
2 Thank Jason W
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
During your stay we had most beautiful days. They were indeed perfect for our set-ups et night both the steak and the thai options.

So in this case I am not surpised that you had a good time. While there is nothing to be done about the weather, when it is spectacular it certainly helps.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell Trip Advisor readers about your experience at our resort.

We certainly will look out for your return.

Cordially,