“Paradise, Paradise, Paradise”

Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Paradise, Paradise, Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Do I need to say any more....... ??
We recently celebrated our son's 21st Birthday at the Sun Palace, Cancun and had the most fantastic holiday and hotel experience ever!!!! Champagne on arrival, friendly, efficient check-in, rooms to die for..... with our own jacuzzi in the bedroom!!!! The view of the sandy, white beach and torquoise sea was picture perfect. Our rate included unlimited food and drinks, which were all very tasty and always served with the biggest smile from ALL the staff. The infinity swimming pools and pool bars were breath-taking and all the facilities were well maintained and our every request was catered to. We had the most amazing holiday and were very impressed with the Mexican friendliness, efficiency and professionalism. A definite must on any one's bucket list!!!!

Room Tip: Any sea facing room is fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Wendy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,737)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is not the type of hotel that you should go to if you are looking for craziness! Since we traveled during spring break we were certainly okay with the laid back environment at Sun Palace. Everyone has different standards, but not once were we taken back by what we would consider "inappropriate" public behavior. We were a little taken back by the games (jenga, connect four, poker,ping pong etc) in the lounge, but after thinking it through, it made sense and we accepted the culture. We are a young 40's conservative, very active/fit couple. This was our first time in Cancun, so I really have nothing to compare to. We were on the younger end of the spectrum but we eventually found others to relate with. The entertainment staff is a blast (Aaron, Adel, Javier, Valerie) and they work endlessly to keep you happy the entire time! Watch closely and you will wonder where they get their energy from- especially the beach attendants! Bring lots of single dollar bills bc you will want to express your appreciation to them, though it is NEVER expected, they always seemed surprised that we would tip them. In my opinion, whats a dollar here or there if it means it makes a person feel all the more appreciated! This applies to the entire staff! Pamela and Martin were amazing to talk to when we had questions. We did wish for more activities such as water/land sports or even early exercise classes. I did organize with Aaron a Beach Boot Camp and we had about 10 guests join in and about 100 spectators who enjoyed the entertainment while they sipped their beverage of choice :). The first 3 days it was chilly/no sun and you could tell the guests were crabby about that. No ones fault, but the hotel did their best to lift our spirits. The shows were surprisingly of good quality! Attend the ones in the ballroom for sure- and the Chef's dinner as well! I loved the boutique feel of this hotel- perfect size for personal service. Staff to guest ratio made our stay feel more like a retreat. The spa desk was a little unorganized but once you got through the door the professionalism and skills were amazing! I work for a spa and several health clubs... Alexis was my therapist. If he came to the states he would be booked solid! I used points for facial, scalp treatment (Flor was amazing), massage (came with our concierge level). We loved room 520! Large private deck and ocean view. We even slept outside several nights. We were never bothered by any of the sales staff. Our phone never rang. Not sure what one reviewer is talking about- that would be annoying. We did sit with our concierge and he just guided us but never wasted our time. We did go to Chichzen Itza... be ready for a long 3 hour bus ride... and they don't let you run the ruin stairs! Did not like the pit stop for shopping/eating. Would have rather have eaten at the ruins. We purchased our trip though Costco Travel and with the way they worked with us and the hotel we would do it again! BTW get trip insurance! We used it! Due to a foot of snowfall in STL we missed a full day in Cancun. That day was covered. The hotel felt awful about it and they were able to slide the day for us- not easily though, as we were told they were booked... both by Costco and them. We sort of regret not visiting the other Palace resorts as other guests enjoyed doing so. Seems like we crammed as much in as we could with out going crazy! Last thing, if I didn't say it already- I am a germ phobe! THIS PLACE WAS SPOTLESS!! Not a dirty corner to be found, and I looked! I am not sure about the value of the trip as again, I have nothing to compare it to in Cancun, so I left it blank. The food was of amazing quality! Italian restaurant every night! Even the buffet (remember I am a germ phobe) went above and beyond my standards! I am a picky drinker... would have liked more martini selections, so I taught Jose how to make my canteloupe martini... no matter where I was he found me with my drink in his hand!

4 Thank akrone
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We've stayed at Sun Palace four times now, with our last time in May 2012. We are headed back there next month for an 8 night stay, this time for our 30th wedding anniversary. We really love staying at the Sun Palace because of the great staff, the quiet, relaxing ambiance of the resort, the amenities, the food, the spa and the location. Even for such a special anniversary, we chose the Sun Palace, because we know what to expect and we have such a great time there.
We enjoy the quiet evenings, however, we had lots of fun in the lobby bar with the nightly activities including the dancing. There has been a D.J. and even a great band there during our previous visits, which made for some fun dancing. We hope either of them are there this year.
We've stayed at Le Blanc and even though it is a 5 star resort, we really feel more at ease and relaxed when staying at the Sun Palace. So, we're excited about coming back again on May 29th. :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CancunBeacher
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We arrived at the Sun Palace early Sunday morning. We were greeted with a cool towel/face cloth and fallowed our concierge a desk for the check in. I did not expect to get our room right away but we got our room right after checking in and our luggage was there. I thought everything was going too smooth but it just kept getting better. We had no problems booking massages at the spa. The treatments were all excellent. The food was great and so was the staff. This was my second visit at the Sun Palace but my first time at a resort with friends. My friends were extremely impressed by everything from a to z. This vacation is was the best for us so far. Great place to relaxe, walk on the beach and enjoy life.

Room Tip: Our roomwas on the fifth floor. Concierge level. That's where we did our check in and check ou...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank 543davidr
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel was a perfect choice for a much needed vacation. Whether you wanted peace and quiet or some fun activities, it’s all here. I’ll give a summary of the main features:

Rooms: very clean, very elegant and comfortable. The housekeeping service came through twice - once in the early afternoon to clean the room and again in the evening as a turn down service. The mini bar in the room was very well stocked with a variety of beer, liquor, pop, juice and water. We asked for a different bottle of liquor to be changed and it was done that day without any hassle. The double sized bath/jacuzzi tub was also wonderful, as was the double lounge on the balcony (which was very large).

Gym: very clean, modern and well equipped.

Restaurants:
Buffet (breakfast and lunch): outstanding variety and tremendous selection of Mexican and American cuisine. There’s so much for everyone to choose from, and lots of wonderful dishes that were new to me.

Italian: a wonderful dining experience. The setting was romantic and the service impeccable. The addition of a live violinist was also wonderful, and the food was great.

Mexican: a fantastic meal, service was also fantastic. We had an amazing meal, and our waiter seemed to appear out of thin air just before we thought we needed something.

Oriental: also a fantastic meal, and again the service was amazing. This was my personal favorite. The choices were amazing, and the food kept coming and coming....all sorts of dishes were brought to the table to try, and the entire meal was just incredible. And again, the waiter was amazing.

Warning: I gained 5 pounds on this one week vacation - the food is fantastic.

Bars:
Lobby bar: great place to relax, play some friendly cards (no money, just fun with chips). Snacks come out in the late afternoon to hold you over till dinner. We had a great time playing black jack with Raul, who suddenly appeared and the fun started. The bar tenders are also very friendly and very quick.

Poolside: also great

Upper pool side bar: Norlberto is a master at bar tending and is a great example of the incredibly friendly and hard working staff at this resort.

Staff:
The employees at this resort are incredibly hard working and extraordinarily polite and friendly. I have never seen so many people working so hard at their jobs. From waiters to housekeeping to maintenance personnel - everyone was working their tail feathers off. If you come here, tipping is not required or expected, but it is very gratefully accepted. I was more than happy to tip because unlike at home where it is expected - even with lousy service, these folks really deserved a tip. The service is outstanding in every area of the resort.

Spa:
I had a back massage, and it was outstanding. Don’t miss out - book a massage!

Beach:
Very clean, lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The staff on the beach will have a lounge and umbrella set up before you walk ten feet onto the beach. The beach volleyball was great fun, and the beverage service on the beach was quick and plentiful. I had concerns of souvenir peddlers and time share salesmen on the beach, but that was unfounded. Only a couple of souvenir guys came by, and they were very polite and respectful. The beach resorts are quite close to each other, and you can walk in safety for miles along the beach. It was wonderful and the water was warm.

There’s much more to comment on, but this review has already run on too long. We chose this location due to trip advisor reviews and were glad that we did. We can hardly wait to return. Enjoy!

6 Thank 915GeorgeS
Melbourne Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Last time we stayed at Me by Amelia which was great. Since then its aged and become an all inclusive. So we tried somewhere new Sun Palace and it was ok but not wonderful. Front desk check in was slow/painful. Rooms not ready, then our first ocean view room mostly looked at an old building to the side. We moved and got a much better view overlooking the main pool and beach on level 8. Rooms are fine, but nothing special.

Its a couples only place, but probably better suited for 40-50 years+. We are in the 25-35 year bracket and the activities didnt really suit us. Room service was great, the Italian Restaurant was quite nice. The main restaurant was average, and the Thai Restaurant was non existant. We were unlucky with the weather being cold, and none of the pools heated but thats our fault for going this time of year. One big bonus was we could visit the sister hotels Moon and Beach Palace. Moon has lots of pools, and a really fun Flow Rider wave pool which we highly recommend. Beach has a cool rooftop bar and pool.

2 Thank FAVRTE
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
When reading through reviews that qualify Sun Palace as average the first thought that comes to mind is how our resort was presented to you. We make no bones on the fact that we are a venue for those who like a laid back atmosphere. Age has nothing to do with this as we do have a high number of young couples. Personal lifestyle does, however. I understand we could be deemed quiet for guests who require more activities.

Palace Resorts has one major plus over many: If you realize one of our resorts is not exactly what you favor we will be glad to switch you to a more "hopping" Palace. All you need is to ask. Staying at a place that doesn't correspond to the way you understand fun is no fun, especially coming from so far away.

I apologize for not being what you expected. We do want you as a repeat customer of our company and will go to any lenghts to convince you of this.I hope you give us another chance and I stand by to recommend what is best suites to your personal taste.

Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Sun Palace and overall we had a good time. When I write these reviews, I try not to be too opinionated, but instead try to just give a good description of my experience for other travelers to base their travel decision upon.

Here are the things that we really enjoyed about our trip:
1. The food was pretty darn good overall. We have been to several all-inclusives in the past and the food here ranked right up with the best of them.
2. Same thing for the drinks. Ranks right up with the best resorts we have stayed at.
3. The service at the restaurants, room service, and maintenance was very fast and friendly.
4. The resort credits were great! We got some spa treatments and went on the Dolphin Swim tour and everything was great. We thought they might be mediocre because we were using the resort credits, but they were high quality.
5. The beach was beautiful!
6. Centrally located from the other Palace Resorts and the Cancun entertainment district.

Here are the things that we were disappointed in:
1. The resort is very small and has mostly older couples (40's - 60's) staying there. Being a younger couple, we found the resort to be pretty boring with not much going on.
2. The service at the pool and beach was pretty slow and lacking. The spa personnel was pretty bad. Their was no direction given to us and the one time we wanted to use the steam room and sauna, they just showed us where it was and that was it. We used the spa at the Beach Palace as well and the service was much better; an attendant guided us thru each step and offered us towels and water after both the steam room and sauna. Doesn't sound like too big of a deal, but the personal attention allowed us to have a much more relaxed spa experience than at the Sun Palace.
3. Being family of presidential members, we received free airport transfers. We actually flied in and out of Cozumel (long story), so our situation was unique. The transfer to the Sun Palace was great. However, our return airport transfer was botched and mismanaged. We ended up having to pay for our own ferry tickets and were promised that we would be reimbursed for our ferry tickets once we got to Cozumel; never happened. Not a huge deal, but still didn't leave a good taste in our mouths.
4. Ah yes, the disappearing sun in the afternoon. In the summer I think it would be a good thing, but in March or the colder months it makes it pretty chilly outside, especially considering how windy Cancun gets.

Once again, we had a nice time overall, but would not return to the Sun Palace. We had the opportunity to go to the Moon Palace, Beach Palace, and Hard Rock hotel during our stay and would probably have chosen all of those before the Sun Palace because there was just more going on at those places and they were more of our style. I think the Sun Palace would be a perfect spot for couples 40 or older that are looking for a small hotel. However, if you prefer staying at larger hotels/resorts or are a younger couple, then I think you should really think twice before staying here.

Another thing I will point out is that being able to hop between all of the Palace Resorts is great. The Sun Palace is in a great location and a quick ride from a few of the other resorts. So if you do stay at a resort that isn't your style, don't be shy to hop around and try the other ones. The Palace Resorts are pretty nice overall, not the best that we have stayed at overall, but we would definitely return to one of them in the future.

Oh yeah, one last last thing. At Sun Palace, as with all of the Palace Resorts, there will be a person that will keep calling you to come down to the lobby to discuss all of your options with the resort credits. This person is not nearly as interested in your resort credits as they are in telling you about your options for buying a timeshare from them. They will ask you to fill out a form with some additional information so that they can "make your stay as good as possible". This form conveniently asks you for your occupation and annual income among other things. If you aren't interested in any of the timeshare stuff you have three options: 1. Continue to have your phone ring all week and be annoyed 2. Unplug your phone 3. Or do what I did and go down to the lobby to meet with them and write an astronomically low annual income on the form that they have you fill out. One minute later you will be free for the week, trust me.
Just keep in mind that they don't offer you the timeshare stuff out of the goodness of their hearts, there is a lot of money in it for them. Not to say that they are wrong for offering it, they are a business after all. Just be ready.

Room Tip: Get a concierge level room if you can.
6 Thank 1MRB_37
From top to bottom, you are the second most similar comment in what has to do with the "older" ambiance of our resort. So I will not repeat my previous answer.

I am just wondering if, by virtue of Easter week, When family hotels, such as the Beach Palace and the Moon Palace didn't have space. As is with Christmas and Thanksgiving and in general holidays when families are wont to travel, Sun Palace get its share but certainly not as heavy.

Normally my guests like a resort that is not totally full. Not your case obviously. And yes, there are some very valuable comments that I will peruse from your review. I do learn a lot from each one of my clients opinions, for which I thank you very much.

Respectfully,