“Ok, but not amazing...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Melbourne Australia
“Ok, but not amazing...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Last time we stayed at Me by Amelia which was great. Since then its aged and become an all inclusive. So we tried somewhere new Sun Palace and it was ok but not wonderful. Front desk check in was slow/painful. Rooms not ready, then our first ocean view room mostly looked at an old building to the side. We moved and got a much better view overlooking the main pool and beach on level 8. Rooms are fine, but nothing special.

Its a couples only place, but probably better suited for 40-50 years+. We are in the 25-35 year bracket and the activities didnt really suit us. Room service was great, the Italian Restaurant was quite nice. The main restaurant was average, and the Thai Restaurant was non existant. We were unlucky with the weather being cold, and none of the pools heated but thats our fault for going this time of year. One big bonus was we could visit the sister hotels Moon and Beach Palace. Moon has lots of pools, and a really fun Flow Rider wave pool which we highly recommend. Beach has a cool rooftop bar and pool.

2 Thank FAVRTE
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
When reading through reviews that qualify Sun Palace as average the first thought that comes to mind is how our resort was presented to you. We make no bones on the fact that we are a venue for those who like a laid back atmosphere. Age has nothing to do with this as we do have a high number of young couples. Personal lifestyle does, however. I understand we could be deemed quiet for guests who require more activities.

Palace Resorts has one major plus over many: If you realize one of our resorts is not exactly what you favor we will be glad to switch you to a more "hopping" Palace. All you need is to ask. Staying at a place that doesn't correspond to the way you understand fun is no fun, especially coming from so far away.

I apologize for not being what you expected. We do want you as a repeat customer of our company and will go to any lenghts to convince you of this.I hope you give us another chance and I stand by to recommend what is best suites to your personal taste.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,720)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Sun Palace and overall we had a good time. When I write these reviews, I try not to be too opinionated, but instead try to just give a good description of my experience for other travelers to base their travel decision upon.

Here are the things that we really enjoyed about our trip:
1. The food was pretty darn good overall. We have been to several all-inclusives in the past and the food here ranked right up with the best of them.
2. Same thing for the drinks. Ranks right up with the best resorts we have stayed at.
3. The service at the restaurants, room service, and maintenance was very fast and friendly.
4. The resort credits were great! We got some spa treatments and went on the Dolphin Swim tour and everything was great. We thought they might be mediocre because we were using the resort credits, but they were high quality.
5. The beach was beautiful!
6. Centrally located from the other Palace Resorts and the Cancun entertainment district.

Here are the things that we were disappointed in:
1. The resort is very small and has mostly older couples (40's - 60's) staying there. Being a younger couple, we found the resort to be pretty boring with not much going on.
2. The service at the pool and beach was pretty slow and lacking. The spa personnel was pretty bad. Their was no direction given to us and the one time we wanted to use the steam room and sauna, they just showed us where it was and that was it. We used the spa at the Beach Palace as well and the service was much better; an attendant guided us thru each step and offered us towels and water after both the steam room and sauna. Doesn't sound like too big of a deal, but the personal attention allowed us to have a much more relaxed spa experience than at the Sun Palace.
3. Being family of presidential members, we received free airport transfers. We actually flied in and out of Cozumel (long story), so our situation was unique. The transfer to the Sun Palace was great. However, our return airport transfer was botched and mismanaged. We ended up having to pay for our own ferry tickets and were promised that we would be reimbursed for our ferry tickets once we got to Cozumel; never happened. Not a huge deal, but still didn't leave a good taste in our mouths.
4. Ah yes, the disappearing sun in the afternoon. In the summer I think it would be a good thing, but in March or the colder months it makes it pretty chilly outside, especially considering how windy Cancun gets.

Once again, we had a nice time overall, but would not return to the Sun Palace. We had the opportunity to go to the Moon Palace, Beach Palace, and Hard Rock hotel during our stay and would probably have chosen all of those before the Sun Palace because there was just more going on at those places and they were more of our style. I think the Sun Palace would be a perfect spot for couples 40 or older that are looking for a small hotel. However, if you prefer staying at larger hotels/resorts or are a younger couple, then I think you should really think twice before staying here.

Another thing I will point out is that being able to hop between all of the Palace Resorts is great. The Sun Palace is in a great location and a quick ride from a few of the other resorts. So if you do stay at a resort that isn't your style, don't be shy to hop around and try the other ones. The Palace Resorts are pretty nice overall, not the best that we have stayed at overall, but we would definitely return to one of them in the future.

Oh yeah, one last last thing. At Sun Palace, as with all of the Palace Resorts, there will be a person that will keep calling you to come down to the lobby to discuss all of your options with the resort credits. This person is not nearly as interested in your resort credits as they are in telling you about your options for buying a timeshare from them. They will ask you to fill out a form with some additional information so that they can "make your stay as good as possible". This form conveniently asks you for your occupation and annual income among other things. If you aren't interested in any of the timeshare stuff you have three options: 1. Continue to have your phone ring all week and be annoyed 2. Unplug your phone 3. Or do what I did and go down to the lobby to meet with them and write an astronomically low annual income on the form that they have you fill out. One minute later you will be free for the week, trust me.
Just keep in mind that they don't offer you the timeshare stuff out of the goodness of their hearts, there is a lot of money in it for them. Not to say that they are wrong for offering it, they are a business after all. Just be ready.

Room Tip: Get a concierge level room if you can.
6 Thank 1MRB_37
From top to bottom, you are the second most similar comment in what has to do with the "older" ambiance of our resort. So I will not repeat my previous answer.

I am just wondering if, by virtue of Easter week, When family hotels, such as the Beach Palace and the Moon Palace didn't have space. As is with Christmas and Thanksgiving and in general holidays when families are wont to travel, Sun Palace get its share but certainly not as heavy.

Normally my guests like a resort that is not totally full. Not your case obviously. And yes, there are some very valuable comments that I will peruse from your review. I do learn a lot from each one of my clients opinions, for which I thank you very much.

Respectfully,
Nutley, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

we just returned form the sun palace ( march 23-30) this was our 5th trip to the rsort and as usall we had a great time.its nice to knw that the staff remembers you from past trips,several times staff members pointed out that w were there before. the food menue changed a little but is still very good , the hotel is spotless the whole staff was helpfull and friendly and would go out of their wat to accommodate any of our questions/ requests. .
consierges maria and margaretta were great in checking us in and out and in setting up our spa treatments
.there is a 11% tax on the resort credit (it is what it is) but any time i can get a 50 minuet massage for undr $15,00 i'll take it.
we cant wait to go back there next year

3 Thank WORMBRAIN
Thank you so much for a very complimentary review of our Sun Palace.

I just admire people with a sense of humor and have not stopped smiling on your choice of a pseudonym. My Dad used to say that people who laugh often are blessed and I am totally in accordance. Amongst other, being able to not take life so seriously is certanl condusive to fuller enjoyment of everything you do. Is that not why we live?

Given that you are a very repeat guest it is obvious that your good mood is contagious and my staff adores the opportunity of getting a smiling "thank you" and eventimes will conserve this feeling throught the day.

For this I thank you and my kids love you.

With fondest regards,
Hudson, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I have visited Sun Palace 3 times before. We spent the week of March 15-22 this time. We always come back because it feels like home! This trip was better than ever! Everything was beyond expectations and we thought we knew what to expect! The service was always outstanding and everyone was always happy and friendly. Everyone at this resort is happy to be there making your vacation one to remember! The wait staff, the entertainment staff, the staff at the spa, all outstanding!!! Special thanks to Roccio our concierge for making our tenth wedding anniversary a very special day to remember! The staff on the beach is unbelievable! Not once were we allowed to move our own chair and never had to ask for an umbrella! They were there as soon as you hit the steps!
The food at every restaurant was delicious, and if you get a chance take part in the chief's dinner. It was not only delicious but we had fun meeting other couples the staff made it fun and entertaining!
We have stayed to almost all the other Palace resorts including the 5 diamond rated resort and all we can say is Sun exceeds them all! Kudos' to the resort manager Pablo Winkler who we were fortunate enough to meet and chat with in the elevator. It is not uncommon to see him out about the resort ensuring guest are having an enjoyable vacation!
We truly love this resort and have brought friends here before and they can't say enough about it! I hope it never changes to one of those stuffy unfriendly resorts that touts service but there is no interaction with the staff! Going to Sun Palace is like going home to friends and family that celebrate the time you spend with them! We can't wait till we can go back home and spend time at sun with cherished friends!

Room Tip: Love the layout of the fourth floor rooms. they seem a bit bigger but, have a smaller balcony. All r...
5 Thank 2Good2Bme
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
There is only one thing better than better. To reinstate our rating with you. You have no idea how happy that makes me feel!
And wait 'till I tell my staff! They will go bonkers!

Palace Resorts has made a tremendous effort these past two years not only in expenditures but also in people developement. Your comments indicate it is beginning to pay off. And there's yet more to come!

Your review is very heartwarming and believe me, it is the best satisfaction we can get. I will make sure to let Rocio know about your comments. She is indeed a very dedicated person.

The only thing left to say is: Return soon!

With our warmest thoughts,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Best break ever! We have stayed at this property four other times, this was the best experience. We just returned from the Sun Palace Resort, Cancun Mexico. Our stay was from March 22 - March 29. Let me begin with the food ~ so improved. We use to say "We're from Chicago, so fine dining is not our first priority because we can dine wonderfully every night at home!" Well, the Sun Palace has ramped up the food experience, even the steak was great! A nice touch having the chef serve "tastes" during the afternoon around the pool. We loved that you did away with the towel cards, but we did miss the towel origami in the room everyday. Of course every staff member was gracious and accommodating especially Mauricio at the pool (Terry loved the Caroilleo taquela) It was so nice to recognize staff especially Marianna, who most recently was promoted to beverage supervisor. Thank you to Pablo Winkler for taking care of our special request, you run a wonderful resort, our vacation was great. If there was something we wished for it would be an area to watch the sun set on the West side of the property, maybe on the terrace that's on the third level? It would also be fun to have an opportunity to shop the local vendors on the property, perhaps an upscale straw market right at pool side. We hope to spend our break again next year at The Sun Palace ~ Thank You!

Room Tip: Use your resort credits to upgrade to a concierge floor.
6 Thank Kathy Q
A most uplifting review. Thank you!
The fact that you found our food much improved is very comforting. I was just telling another guest that we've done a major effort to make certain that what we offer is agreeable to our guests. It is good to get reassurance that we're on the right track.

Special requests are our specialty but you have to let us know in advance a you did. Firstly it helps getting ready and secondly both the guest and us know what the other expects. Hotel management made easy! Anytime, just drop me a line. If it is doable, we will most happy to comply. And if it is not, at least you know beforehand.

On the subject of the western terrace: Before the hotel was refurbished we did have a western terrace, where the gym is now. Sadly, it was always almost deserted. So we turned it into a gym with a fabulous sunset. What can I tell you?

Thank you again for a most fetching comment. I hope to have the pleasure of your company very soon.

With happiest thoughts,
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited for four nights in March, 2013. Previously we have stayed at two Couples resorts, an El Dorado in Riviera Maya, and Punta Cana Princess, so we do have some other adults-only all inclusives to compare. Sun Palace is nice, but didn't knock my socks off.

Pros:

1. The ocean view is just gorgeous, and the view from the pools can't be beat.
2. The rooms are lovely, clean and are up to par with other resorts that would be described as luxury. Definitely use your resort credits to upgrade. It was $288 in resort credits to upgrade from ocean view to concierge and we wouldn't have been able to use those credits if not on the room, so go ahead and get the best room you can on credits. They also had a "pillow menu" and "aromatherapy menu" for the concierge level. Also there was a mini bar with beers, sodas, mixers, and four full sized bottles of liquor in a dispenser: Absolut, J&B, Jose Cuervo, and Bacardi.
3. We visited the spa and had a great 50 minute couples massage.
4. The staff for the most part is very polite and accommodating. There were some nice touches, like one night we went down to eat and they had set up this presentation outside the restaurant with all kinds of cheeses, wine, and a server to pour wine for you and tell you about each cheese.

Cons:
1. The floors and walls of the rooms and the hallways are made of stone, and though it is lovely, it is also very loud. Though I don't think I could hear conversations in other rooms, I definitely heard every person who passed by in the hallway. I even had staff come up one night because it was 4:30 am and there were people just hanging out in the hallway yelling and talking for over 15 minutes. I don't know if security ran them off or not, it was another 10 minutes or more before they finally shut up. I also heard people who walk on their heels on the hard surfaces, thud thud thud, very often. Not really the hotel's fault, but just be aware that you are not going to be able to sleep in late here.
2. Our pillow top mattress was BROKE DOWN. We tried to sleep next to each other but couldn't stay on top of the giant hump in the middle of the mattress, kept rolling to the sides where everyone obviously sleeps. Don't know if this is a common problem, but it might be time to trade out.
3. The hot tubs are NOT HOT. This is apparently a thing in Mexico, as I have yet to find a hot hot tub in Mexico. By "not hot" I mean 80, 85 degrees max. Even in the spa there was a jacuzzi type pool and the water was not hot. I know the resort manager reads these. Just so you know, I filled up our jacuzzi tub in the room FOUR TIMES just to have a hot tub to lounge in, as it was rather cold when we were there. Think of how much water is wasted because you don't put hot water in your spas. I heard other guests asking about why the jacuzzis were cold as well, so I know I'm not the only one that wants a hot tub.
4. The food was just average. I didn't find a dessert that I enjoyed the whole time we were there, unless you count ice cream or sorbet. Breakfast was good, made to order omelettes, etc. Lunch was grill food, nothing special. Even in the buffet area it was just grilled food, fruit, pre-made salads etc. At dinner I enjoyed the Thai menu and that's it. The Italian restaurant was very fancy, but the menu didn't really have Italian food on it, except for "choose your pasta and sauce," and some pizza and lasagna. The other menu items were not particularly Italian. That and other than the Thai, there was no actual seasoning or flavor going on in any of the menus. Felt very institutional, nothing special, sorry to say.
5. The employees at the spa desk for the most part acted as if they were put out by us. First of all I was told that you can't make an appointment over the phone, you have to come down in person. So when you show up in person they act like you're bothering them. I had to orient myself to the spa, ask for permission to use the steam room etc. If you make an appointment they should be telling you that you are entitled to use their facilities on the day of the appointment, tell you about the lockers etc.
6. The poolside service was intermittent. They would go all out for a couple hours, then just disappear for the rest of the day.

So basically when I weigh the pros and cons, I come up with more cons than pros. Also, four nights is PLENTY of time to enjoy all this resort has to offer. It's just a very small, quiet place to relax.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RGR98
I am very sorry that we did not convince. Thank you for your comments.

To the cons: Buildings in Mexico are very sturdy and yes, they are concrete and masonry. We do have a plan for this year to work on the resounding situation...we'll see.

The mattress: Lets see if I can find the room you stayed at (since Trip Advisor keeops your name private). We changed mattresses this past year because we were getting comments that the ones we had were hard and certainly, this has been corrected. I will see what happened with yours.

The hot water in the rooms runs at a constant 140 ºF. If you fill your hot tub with that temperature you won't be able to get in and it is not healthy. We do have a Spa and we tout one of Mexico's foremost experts on the matter as a consultant.

I do thank you for your comments, pro and con. I have no delusions of perfection. I can only strive for it but then, what is good for someone may not be as good for someone else. After all: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at this resort for 1 week 19-26 march. We were 2 couples and want to relax, enjoy the beach, sun and golf for the guys. We had excellent time at Sun palace. The room and the view was beautiful, the staff was really excellent, pleasant and efficient. We had sun until 5 in the afternoon if you know were to spot it on the beach or pool. The beach was beautiful. The meats was really good in every restaurant and at the buffet, everything taste good. No line at the restaurant, place everywhere even if you're not up at 9. The golf course of the Moon and Riviera were beautiful and it was easy to go play. If you want to relax, be serve like a Queen, eat well and rest, go there without hesitation, If you want to party, be up all night, do not, it's really relax at night, maybe to much at the lobby bar after supper.
Thanks to Francesco at the animation during the day, you are really good at your job and fun to talk. Thanks to all the people who serve us really well, Karina, Mauricio, Elfega, Marisol, Cesar, Erick and many others.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 3 floor and up with view to the ocean, it's worth it.
2 Thank stephanie g
You are definitely the type of client who is perfect for our resort!

After reading a number of gripes about lack of activities and such, your comments validate our niche in the market. Agreed, it is not for everyone but the fact is that it was good for you and that is all I care about.

You are also a very kind person in mentioning some of our staff whom you felt gave you special attention. Tehy in turn do get points for your comments in our employee incentive progrm which they can exchange for a number of prizes: Dinners, stays, household items, etc..

I will expect your visit again in the near future. It is always a pleasure to serve guests who have found our resort as their place to be.

Best wishes,