“No sun at sun palace”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

3 o'clock comes and there is no more sun because of the building is so tall and the pools are in back. Not that I want skin cancer but geez I come from mn where their is no sun in winter. If your looking for a tan check out the list of hotels and pick one that has a front and a back pool.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Soufly69
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for your comment.

I must take exception for I find it could mislead someone into thinking we do not have sun at all.. You are right, this time of year the sun starts hiding behind the building at 3 in the afternoon. Considering that sunup is at 6 in the morning there is more than enough for most folks.

As the year progresses and the sun moves further north this will change to more sun hours.

Judging from your 4 points score I must think that other than this issue, our services in general were good for you.

There are newer reviews for Sun Palace

Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and were extremely impressed . We have vacationed in the Cancun/Playa about 20 times in the last 13 years, We have stayed in some of the better couples only resorts, such as Royal Hideaway. The Royal in Cancun and The Royal in Playa. We will be going back to the Sun Palace.. Rubin Gonia Headwaiter went out of his way to address any issues we had, He even packed us a lunch when we left for home. Patricia Jurado the head waiter in the Thai restaurant was on of the best waiters I have since going to Mexico. A women we met during dinner happened to fall near the pool and was taken to the hospital. Pablo Winkler the general manager arranged a flight home for the couple and gave them a free weeks stay when they returned. No place is perfect. but they do what they can to make it so.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank albrooker

Very kind of you to remember names and details.

Without a doubt we base our resort on the excellent and personalized service our staff has been known to prodigate our guests with. We are very fortunate to have such committed employees as the ones you mention and many more.

And, yes, when something goes wrong we do our best to pitch in. This specific person had already had arm surgery and was very gracious about the whole incident. It stands to reason that when people do not want to take undue advantage of a situation that we will respond in kind.

You are very observant. I can only hope to see you many more times.

With best regards,

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to this resort and I must say it was as spectacular as last year. The food is exceptional the staff is beyond exceptional. We used all our resort credits this year we upgraded again this year to conceirge had the romantic dinner on the beach (amazing) the Spa was beyond our expectations. We cannot wait to come back next year!!!!!

Hello to Luis & all the staff in the Lobby Bar!

Thanks so much for another perfect vacation!
Stacy & Shane Hatt,
Halifax, NS Canada

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank StacyHatt

You were supposed to write under a pseudonym!

But then, when you have such nice things to say...Who cares? Actually, when you do use your name you give me the benefit of remembering who you are and what things you like, so that on your next visit we are even better prepared to make you happy.

Luis and the bar staff send their bet regards back and thank you infinitely for mentioning them as the excellent kids they are. They are already asking me when they'll see you again. I guess you made quite an impression.

Please receive our warmest regards,

Reviewed March 6, 2013

TripAdvisor listed Sun Palace as one of the highest rated couples-only resorts in Cancun. That was my only reason for choosing this particular adults-only hotel over another in Cancun. I was not disappointed. My only other visit to Cancun was in Jun 2012 at the Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort on the Riviera Maya. The staff at the Sun Palace was noticeably more available and attentive. Sun Palace did not have the gardens and grounds of Marina El Cid, but it was a much more comfortable stay due to its gracious staff.
The buses made traveling to downtown Cancun a breeze. Never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. The drivers were polite and cooperative. We needed to take the bus to a marina to catch a tour and only knew the marina was across the street from the Grand Oasis. The hotel staff told us to ask the driver to let us off at the Grand Oasis as we were getting on the bus. They said he'd make sure we got to the right place. Sure enough, he only made one announcement the whole trip at it was when we arrived at the Grand Oasis stop. Very nice.

Room Tip: We went with a "Grand Level" room and weren't disappointed, though I don't know wh...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank DukesdadParis_VA
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Cancun was conceived and built with one purpose in mind: Tourism.
Its inhabitants are concious of this fact and are people from all over the country who are in some manner engaged in the tourist trade or parallel businesses.

I mention this because of your comments on the bus drivers. They too comprise part of the parallel services that Cancun has to offer. They shouldn't but they will stop anywhere for tourists. Never mind bus stops! If they see a tourist outside a hotel or restaurant, they will stop to pick them up and are quite savvy on the "tell us when we get there" directive.

A taxi driver will make pleasant chat if you allow him and on and on. I know of no other place in Earth that has coalesced such a number of different people and pointed them in the direction of bringing in tourists to this beautiful resort city.

Thank you for your very kind comments and thank you especially for noting how the people of Cancun have made their city special.

With highest regards,

Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Sun Palace. Of course you can find good and not so good at any place or vacation.
The good: The beach is spectacular...best we have every seen. The food was exceptional and plenty of it. Drinks were good but poured a little light. Just ask for more liquor. Several staff members stood out with outstanding personal service.
The Columbus Lobster Cruise is well worth it. Check that out.
The not so good: There is a constant attempt to get you to see their Moon Palace Presentation.
We were guests of members so we did not see the program.
The 1500 credit system is very hard to figure out. We did not meet anyone that truly understood it and no one that used all the credit. Its very restrictive.
Be prepared to spend quite a bit if you go on tours. But they were fun.
The Ocean View Room was nice but could have been designed better. The view was terrific though.
In the end we would go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: just make sure you ask for ocean view. most rooms face the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank markycristina
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for a mostly complimentary review and also thank you for signaling out those points that require my attention.

In the end, the fact that you would return and recommend is what I always look for. What we base our buisness on is guest satisfaction and nothing else will do.

I agree with you: Tours are mostly all day affairs. The more interesting ones are quite a ways away, anywhere between 70 and 130 miles plus once you are there, a thorough explanation of where you are is of the essence. We want you to understand our history and customs. It is an interesting world when you travel it.

With my best regards,

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Have stayed here five times and each time everything gets better. Had a $1500.00 Hotel credit this trip which was the first time we got this and was used in the spa (Aaaaahhhhhh)

The service is second to none, the food is outstanding and the bars have top shelf liquor (need to ask for it when ordering a drink). Refrigerator in room has 2 Coors lights, 2 Heinekens, 2 sodas, club soda, etc and is restocked everyday.

They do try to get you wrapped up in their time share which we are NOT members. If you got the money and plan to come to only the Palace Resorts it is not a bad deal, but we did not want to be locked into only going to one resort chain.

Hate to leave but we WILL be back.

Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank rexyracer

Oh yes! The spa, the beach, the sun, the pools, the food and the drinks...or in one word: Relax!

It is very special when you tell us that we provided a good vacaton. Means everything to us.

If you hate leaving you are not alone. We hate to see you depart. I really dislike saying good bye. We've taken cate of you during your vacation days, spoken with you and had good moments toghether. I take it very badly when my guests return to their country of origin.

But a s long as you take good memories with you, well...I know will see you back soon.

Please receive my best.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon at the Sun Palace and all I can say is .....this place is awesome! The staff are amazing! The food was delicious! The service was impeccable! I loved everything!

This is a great Place to go for your Honeymoon! They gave us a special dinner, and honeymoon package! We upgraded our room to the concierge level ahead of time. The room was fantastic overlooking the amazing beach and the quiet pool. We had a large balcony which we loved to sit on and read or watch the ocean. The double jacuzzi is awesome! Room service included was a wonderful luxury. They clean the room from top to bottom every day! I was so impressed with the service!

The only not 100% positive thing I would say is the pool area is small. If you want to get a chair by the pool you have to get there early! Like definitely before 9:00 am and probably more like 8:00. We spent most of our time on the beach where there was always a chair and the guys will always set up an umbrella.

Overall awesome! Wish we were there right now!

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank AshleyWCostello

As Honeymoons should be. Right? Awesome!

We are always very honored to receive newlyweds and therefore be part of a most memorable sojourn. Quite unique favor you bestow on us.

Your comments are self explanatory and I thank you for them. And yes, compared to some of the monstruous pools that dot the peninsula, ours is rather small (you can still get your laps in, though) because our guests usually prefer to be in close contact with each other. We are romantic!

I will look forward to your future visits. Please let me know whenever your plans include us.

With warmest greetings,