“Extremely pleasant and attentive staff”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Paris, VA
“Extremely pleasant and attentive staff”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

TripAdvisor listed Sun Palace as one of the highest rated couples-only resorts in Cancun. That was my only reason for choosing this particular adults-only hotel over another in Cancun. I was not disappointed. My only other visit to Cancun was in Jun 2012 at the Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort on the Riviera Maya. The staff at the Sun Palace was noticeably more available and attentive. Sun Palace did not have the gardens and grounds of Marina El Cid, but it was a much more comfortable stay due to its gracious staff.
The buses made traveling to downtown Cancun a breeze. Never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. The drivers were polite and cooperative. We needed to take the bus to a marina to catch a tour and only knew the marina was across the street from the Grand Oasis. The hotel staff told us to ask the driver to let us off at the Grand Oasis as we were getting on the bus. They said he'd make sure we got to the right place. Sure enough, he only made one announcement the whole trip at it was when we arrived at the Grand Oasis stop. Very nice.

Room Tip: We went with a "Grand Level" room and weren't disappointed, though I don't know wh...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank DukesdadParis_VA
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Cancun was conceived and built with one purpose in mind: Tourism.
Its inhabitants are concious of this fact and are people from all over the country who are in some manner engaged in the tourist trade or parallel businesses.

I mention this because of your comments on the bus drivers. They too comprise part of the parallel services that Cancun has to offer. They shouldn't but they will stop anywhere for tourists. Never mind bus stops! If they see a tourist outside a hotel or restaurant, they will stop to pick them up and are quite savvy on the "tell us when we get there" directive.

A taxi driver will make pleasant chat if you allow him and on and on. I know of no other place in Earth that has coalesced such a number of different people and pointed them in the direction of bringing in tourists to this beautiful resort city.

Thank you for your very kind comments and thank you especially for noting how the people of Cancun have made their city special.

With highest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,763)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Sun Palace. Of course you can find good and not so good at any place or vacation.
The good: The beach is spectacular...best we have every seen. The food was exceptional and plenty of it. Drinks were good but poured a little light. Just ask for more liquor. Several staff members stood out with outstanding personal service.
The Columbus Lobster Cruise is well worth it. Check that out.
The not so good: There is a constant attempt to get you to see their Moon Palace Presentation.
We were guests of members so we did not see the program.
The 1500 credit system is very hard to figure out. We did not meet anyone that truly understood it and no one that used all the credit. Its very restrictive.
Be prepared to spend quite a bit if you go on tours. But they were fun.
The Ocean View Room was nice but could have been designed better. The view was terrific though.
In the end we would go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: just make sure you ask for ocean view. most rooms face the beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank markycristina
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for a mostly complimentary review and also thank you for signaling out those points that require my attention.

In the end, the fact that you would return and recommend is what I always look for. What we base our buisness on is guest satisfaction and nothing else will do.

I agree with you: Tours are mostly all day affairs. The more interesting ones are quite a ways away, anywhere between 70 and 130 miles plus once you are there, a thorough explanation of where you are is of the essence. We want you to understand our history and customs. It is an interesting world when you travel it.

With my best regards,
Hillsboro, MO
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here five times and each time everything gets better. Had a $1500.00 Hotel credit this trip which was the first time we got this and was used in the spa (Aaaaahhhhhh)

The service is second to none, the food is outstanding and the bars have top shelf liquor (need to ask for it when ordering a drink). Refrigerator in room has 2 Coors lights, 2 Heinekens, 2 sodas, club soda, etc and is restocked everyday.

They do try to get you wrapped up in their time share which we are NOT members. If you got the money and plan to come to only the Palace Resorts it is not a bad deal, but we did not want to be locked into only going to one resort chain.

Hate to leave but we WILL be back.

Stayed March 2013
2 Thank rexyracer
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Oh yes! The spa, the beach, the sun, the pools, the food and the drinks...or in one word: Relax!

It is very special when you tell us that we provided a good vacaton. Means everything to us.

If you hate leaving you are not alone. We hate to see you depart. I really dislike saying good bye. We've taken cate of you during your vacation days, spoken with you and had good moments toghether. I take it very badly when my guests return to their country of origin.

But a s long as you take good memories with you, well...I know will see you back soon.

Please receive my best.
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon at the Sun Palace and all I can say is .....this place is awesome! The staff are amazing! The food was delicious! The service was impeccable! I loved everything!

This is a great Place to go for your Honeymoon! They gave us a special dinner, and honeymoon package! We upgraded our room to the concierge level ahead of time. The room was fantastic overlooking the amazing beach and the quiet pool. We had a large balcony which we loved to sit on and read or watch the ocean. The double jacuzzi is awesome! Room service included was a wonderful luxury. They clean the room from top to bottom every day! I was so impressed with the service!

The only not 100% positive thing I would say is the pool area is small. If you want to get a chair by the pool you have to get there early! Like definitely before 9:00 am and probably more like 8:00. We spent most of our time on the beach where there was always a chair and the guys will always set up an umbrella.

Overall awesome! Wish we were there right now!

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank AshleyWCostello
As Honeymoons should be. Right? Awesome!

We are always very honored to receive newlyweds and therefore be part of a most memorable sojourn. Quite unique favor you bestow on us.

Your comments are self explanatory and I thank you for them. And yes, compared to some of the monstruous pools that dot the peninsula, ours is rather small (you can still get your laps in, though) because our guests usually prefer to be in close contact with each other. We are romantic!

I will look forward to your future visits. Please let me know whenever your plans include us.

With warmest greetings,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was our sixth time at the Sun Palace in the last six years, and we're looking forward to going back. This place suits us very well: Great beach, excellent all-inclusive, adults only and a smaller venue than Moon Palace and others.

Room Tip: Upgrading to concierge level assures a good view and gives some other perks as well. The larger balc...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JanandDan_12
You are always so nice and thoughtful. No wonder my staff is always happy to see you back.

Thank you for entrusting your vacations to Sun Palace. There is no better reward than to know that we've been successful in porviding a happy stay.

We will be looking forward to many more of your visits. You honor this resort with them.

With my best regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our 7th trip to Cancun in search of the PERFECT spot for a 5 day break in February - landed us at the Sun Palace. Not far from the airport, direct flight from DC - easy!

Overall, a wonderful getaway to Cancun's sunny, beachy fun time. TIP: Really USE your resort credits - they are $ for $ - we had $700 - could use for room upgrade, expensive champagne, spa visits - no secret charges, just a 10% import fee.

Way more pros than cons:

PRO:
1. Beautiful beach, water temps, wicker lounge chairs with bed-like mattresses
2. Rooms are beautiful, we had ocean view with larger balcony and double bed outside! Full jacuzzi tub and King - stunning room, stocked bar, refrig and 24/7 room service. Small resort (250 ish rooms) allows custom service
3. Service was excellent, staff would "make" whatever foods/drinks at no xtra charge. Custom made empanadas/guacamole/tostadas daily
4. "Quiet" infinity pool oceanside, "Party" infinity pool oceanside with swim up bar, activities and music. Take your pick. Do both.
5. Amazing, FREE WIFI everywhere. Loved it.

CONs:
1. We are beach people. The way the hotel is situated all but a very small southern section of pools and beach were in the shade by 3pm.
2. Entertainment off property only (shuttle to other Palace Resorts to explore/enjoy)
3. White wines are terrible, plan to upgrade with your credits!

And now the question of the day - WOULD YOU GO BACK? Probably not....We need more sun and beach time in the dead of winter! ;-)

Room Tip: Use resort credits to upgrade to ocean view, larger balcony, upper floors. Awesome views of that tur...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CarrieAdchic
Everything was going all right until I hit the last line where you mention that you probably won't be returning. That is certainly not what I look for with my guests.

I've mentioned before that Cancun is a morning sun spot as being in eastern Mexico we are now getting sunshine form 6 in the morning to around 3 in the afternoon. As the year progresses there will be enough sun to roast a chicken.

I would venture to say 8 hours of direct exposure should be enough to make any skin doctor's "most wanted list". It remains a mystery to me that our otherwise health concious guests would subject their bodies to such prolongued encounters with Helios, sun block or no sunblock.

I hope you wil rethink returning. We always are better the second time around. And were you to afford us another chance, let me know, please.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I have been to Cancun many many times for the last 20 years. I booked this trip last minute and i chose this resort due to the "Adults Only" aspect of it.

The hotel is nice - the all inclusive food is so so - not very good to be honest - BUT - i do understand the fact with an all inclusive, they must please everyone and cannot go over board or they would go broke or price themselves out of the game.

The pool area for me is not the best ive seen. It has limited chairs and the bar is kinda tucked away in the corner.

The rooms are pretty bland - mostly white - but the beds are soft and comfy.

Overall, the staff is great!

The biggest issue i have is location. It is too far from where things are happening. It is close to the airport but it is a good 15 minutes from the party scene so its a ride drunk at 3 am and you cant walk anywhere - you must take a cab everywhere.

Overall - good place - great staff - food could be improved - and the location is a little far out

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank dsingleton
Thank you for finding our resort nice.

On the food issue: We do use the very best we can avail ourselves of. The food at Palace cannot be "so-so" because we recognize that you have paid and paid well for it and we take pride in giving our guests the best there is.

In fact, our meat is imported an so are many things where we feel our local offer is not good enough for our patrons. Being in another country I know that flavors and cooking might differ. I can see by your reviews that you are people that take eating seriously. I am sorry we do not meet with your best comments.

And yes, we make no secret of our location and thusly our committment to relaxation and quiet over the places where it "happens".

Thank you so much for choosing Sun Palace. I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you. It would be our honor.

Respectfully,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 175 in Cancun
Isla Mujeres Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!