“Another Perfect Week at the Sun Palace!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We just got back from Cancun and stayed at the Sun Palace Feb 7-14. We had a wonderful time! The service is above and beyond as everyone there tries to please the guests. We golfed two times at the Riviera Cancun Golf Course and twice at the Moon Palace Golf Course. Both are beautiful courses. Our favorite is the Moon Palace Golf Course.

The food was exceptional! Our favorite is the Italian Restaurant. Everything we ordered was great. We also enjoyed the Alamo as well. My husband's favorite there was the flank steak hoagie. The evening we had reserved for our dinner on the beach was pretty windy so we opted to go inside to eat at the Italian restaurant and put out name in for the private area looking over the ocean and pool area. And when we were seated, they offered us the same menu we would have gotten at the beach dinner. We thought that was so special to do that for us.

Overall, it was another great week at the Sun Palace and look forward to going back next year!

Room Tip: Upgrade or make sure you ask for the Concierge level. We had requested room 634 because of reviews...
3  Thank Lorna J
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

If your week was perfect I can only venture to say that your lives must be the same way.

Vacations are a reflection of how you envision and live those few precious days when we all get a chance to "get away". But away from what? We cannot get away from ourselves, our committments, those things which fill the plate that we call life. What we do on a vacation is get away from our daily grind, sometimes from our lifestyles, from our cultures from the day to day, oftentimes from our trodden path, our abode, city and country if we are fortunate.

Some, as yourselves, find this perfect-I would assume-invigorating. One could say this is the common purpose. To go back to reality afterwards and be able to see it from a fresh point of view and in so doing, start again with a happy heart.

Simply: Perfect!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,332)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace this time of year last year and have just booked a return trip for 10 days starting March 15. This is the most awesome resort we have stayed at in the last 20 years. We usually go to Sandals (over 200 weeks total) but this may become our new favorite.
There is an infinity pool with a snack area that is to die for. We have asked for the same room that we had last year, which overlooked the pool and faced the ocean and have our fingers crossed.
The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hank_from_Moncton

Well....thank you!! And very much so.

For the first time in years I find myself at a loss for words. In short you have said what all resorts and hotels managers love to hear: That you were well taken care of and plan to return.

My staff and myself are very thankful for your kindness. We will be waiting for your soon to be visit and try to please even more.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just returned, Feb. 5-12 from our 2nd trip to the Sun Palace. We are able to enjoy both sunrises and sunsets as shown below!!This was our second visit in 2 years. We really enjoyed the layback atmospere and the verry, very friendly staff. They made us want to come back, which we plan to do.The food and service was great and the spa was sooooo soothing.You really get your money's worth so much more,if you use your resort credits!! This is an adult only resort and was very quiet. We did travel to another Palace resort and it was great also, but so much bigger that the Sun. All rooms have jacuzzis. Our hostess, María Elena Espinal, was great. We enjoyed her last year and requested her again. We are members and upgraded to the family level. We also met Pablo, on the elevator, and had a long chat with him. He is visable on the grounds each day. He and his staff run a great resort. Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Be ready to be pampered at this resort!! Up graging to the Concierge level is the best for the money...
1  Thank Dennis S

So happy to see that we were able to please you again.

You come here for the right reasons and with the right attitude. When you are so disposed there is not one place in the world where you would not have an excellent sojourn.

I am very honored that you chose us. It is always a feast to have repeat satisfied guests.

Will be looking forward to your next visit.

Warmest thoughts,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

After last year going to the Fiesta Americana Condesa (another great resort, see my other review), we decided we HAVE TO do an annual Cancun trip given its beautiful beaches, reasonable prices, and vast All Inclusive choices.

This year we decided on the Sun Palace and went the second week in January (stayed 7 days). It is a 10-15 ride from the airport pretty much down like one road. Order your transportation through your booking agent and its really simple. Get your bags, go through customs, and find your transportation at the airport and you are 15 minutes away from paradise!!

Ok, so onto the resort since that's most important...

Check-in
Once you get out of the taxi, they take your bags, provide you with champagne, and check you in. They will definitely sit you down to tell you about resort credits and its worth the 5-10 minutes to see what Palace Resorts offers.

Rooms
The room was fantastic. Jacuzzis in all rooms, overlooking the beach, bathroom clean and large, and bed was very comfortable. No complaints. Also, there are cool lights outside the room you can turn on/off when you want to ask for service or do not disturb. I wish there was a doorbell like FA Condesa because sometimes i was on the balcony and could not hear them knocking. Slippers/robes in the room was nice too. My wife made it a point to keep saying how nice the hairdryer, straightener, and CHI products were there (thats for all the female readers of this review).

The food at this resort is THE BEST I have ever had on any vacation. Thats including the 8 or so cruises and last years trip to Cancun. It was honestly spectacular. The Italian restaurant was by far the best. Beef carpaccio, caprese salad, pasta dishes, steak, chicken, seafood, soo many choices and order whatever you want! The head chef even stops out to great tables and introduces himself. There was a violist both nights we went and she was SOO GOOD! The Asian restaurant is an outside restaurant and we loved that one too. The steakhouse outside as well and essentially they turn a portion of the outside pool area into the "steak house" every night. Many cuts to choose from (rib eye, filet mignon, NY strip). Steak was very tasty, however my wife was not completely satisfied with her seabass. She liked the other restaurants seafood much better. The mexican restaurant was spectacular and the mariachi band made their rounds. food at this resort = amazing.

Pools/Beach
The beach is very pretty and one of the biggest sellers of this resort. You practically get a twin bed when you get down to the beach! They set up this comfortable bed for you, set up a table, and send a waitress over asap to provide you with drinks. These "beds" are not offered in Beach Palace (we went there for a day). The beach was very skinny compared to other places. At least the area we sat everyday. It was enough room for us, but Beach Palace and FA Condesa had much wider beaches. The waves/current are very strong so you need to be very careful on where you enter the water. The pool is heated and we were in there everyday. Nice pool bar slinging drinks all day and they set up pool volleyball twice a day. My wife and I played beach/pool volleyball every single day! We loved it and the people working there (Vanessa and "Hollywood") always did a great job getting hotel guests involved in the games. No outside jaccuzi which was kind of a bummer.

Drinks/Room Service
The drinks at this resort were unbelievable. My wife and I love to over indulge so we were very happy with the wine, rum, beer (dos equis), and after-dinner drinks (sambuca, baileys) being offered. Every single night we stopped down the hotel bar (nicest bar at resort) for martinis and champagne. Great bartenders there. I personally love espresso martinis and every night they would have fresh espresso and made some really good martinis! Excellent service and never had to wait for a drink. Outside there are 3 bars (quiet pool area, reg pool area, and nighly asian rest bar). We would "bar hop" some nights and have a few drinks at the different bars just to change up the scenery a few times in a night. We were so impressed with Sun Palace service one day we were in the room jacuzzi and decided to see if they would deliver espresso martinis, shrimp cocktail, fruits, and salads to our jacuzzi. We called, placed our order, and said we don't want to get out to get the door. With our permission, they literally delivered it TO OUR JACUZZI (we had some bathing suits on to reduce any awkwardness in case you are wondering!) in about 20 minutes. We could not believe it!! Also, there is rum/vodka/tequila/beer in the room at all times.

My only "negatives"
-Lobby bar's TV is like a small 20 inch screen. Granted you don't go to a resort to watch TV in the bar, but since NFL playoffs were on I really wanted to watch some games. Kind of surprised how small and cheap the TV was considering the bar is very nice.
-no hot tub outside (stated in review)
-Beach not very wide (stated in review)
-Given the resorts angle, the main pool loses sunlight around 3:30pm. Fine for me and my wife since we are early risers anyway and "done" with the sun around 3pm since we are pale northeast americans that can't take more than 6 hours of the sun.
Clearly these are not very serious negatives, but I wanted to give an honest balanced review. Thats all I could come up with!

Closing Comments
We found the Sun Palace much nicer than the Beach Palace and Moon Palace. Sun Palace is couples only so if you have kids its not the choice for you. Beach/Moon palace were very nice, but we didn't feel the same service, atmosphere, and cleanliness as Sun Palace. The swim-up bar and beach were nicer (wider and less rough waves) at Beach Palace, but the chairs were no where near as nice as Sun. You can't go wrong with all 3, but if it was the same price I would choose Sun Palace again. Moon Palace was HUGE and really all just pools. The public bathrooms at Moon were actually kind of dirty and not well kept. Moon Palace is a $30 cab ride each way.

I can do a great comparison to Fiesta Americana Condesa (FAC) since I stayed at both for 7 days. Sun Palace is MUCH more expensive than FAC so its not apples to apples in that regard. Clearly the food/quality of hotel/service you would hope would be much better given the price. I would say the food was much better at Sun, but I still love FAC as well. FAC had a much bigger pool, nicest swim-up bar, nicest beach, and less money. FAC didn't have that "luxury" feel to it like Sun, but was still a great time for us. Bottom line, if you are a couple and want "luxury", best food, best drinks, and want a smaller/personal feel, go Sun Palace. If you are with a group of friends and/or have kids, I would highly recommend considering FAC.

You cannot go wrong with choosing this resort and my wife and I hope to return in the coming years. We absolutely loved it!! Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jukes82

I am amazed at your good memory! There is no way I would be able to remember in such detail.

I am also a bit jealous: Hotel managers are very territorial and when their property is compared to another would always like to be way above. However, I commend you for a fair appreciation of the properties you describe and would be stupid if I did not recognize that the Fiesta Americana chain is also well run. As you so aptly present, no one is the only game in town and competition is fierce-in the general benefit of our visitors and destination-.

I found your words sincere and true. I thank you for such pristine judgement.

Thank you for choosing our resort. I do look forward to having you as our guest many times.

With best regards,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Just got back from our trip from Feb.5-12 at Sun Palace. We are Palace Resort members, and have been members since 2002. We had never been to the Sun before, and have stayed at Moon Palace, Adventura Palace, and last year at Punta Cana Hard Rock. After being at Adventura we really liked the adults only, so we thought we would give this place a try. Anybody thats says anything negative about this place should be shot!! From the minute we arrived until the minute we left , we were treated fantastically. We brought some friends with us and upon arriving we were told they were putting us together in a presidential suite-what a great way to start a trip!!! From the food to the spa to the beaches to the golf to the staff-what a great way to spend a week. Maria Espinal, our concierge,took very good care of us and 'Gina' at the guest table did an awesome job of booking all our activities. We did the Explor day trip and would highly recommend that to anyone looking for a fun day. Loved the zip lines!! And the dolphin experience at Moon Palace is another thing not to miss. We met the general manager Pablo, and if he is reading this, Pablo,we are the couple that you furnished my wife with Trix cereal for her breakfasts,and even had them sent up to our room by the main chef. Can't beat customer service like that!!! They run a great hotel and we will definitely be back again to see all the wonderful staff there. Anybody thinking of coming here, you will not be disappointed. While there, we enjoyed Palace Resorts so much, we upgraded to the Palace Elite level. We are planning on coming back to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen for years to come. Well done, Pablo and staff.

5  Thank Dvbreck

He,he,he!! Well...there might be some who definitely enter into the shot category.

Seriously, now: It is so easy and pleasing to serve guests with a sense of humor like yourself and your most fetching wife.. we did have to pull a couple of strings to get the cereal she requested but nothing compared to being thanked over and over again...(I think I just stood around waiting for you guys becasue it made me so happy to greet you).

Many times small details make the difference and if they are appreciated then they are worth their weight in gold...memories that remain for a long time and garner good frineds.

Only request is that you let us know in advance of your next visit...to have the Trix ready!

Our best wishes,

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just returned from two weeks at the Sun Palace. I would say first off, that this resort really does try to be a five star resort but in my view 5* means you do everything right, always. This resort does some things perfectly and some things, well, not so perfectly.

The check in process was smooth, seamless and all of our dealings with the front desk were handled professionally and quickly.

The room we had was an oceanview deluxe and because we were there to golf we did not have credits to use for upgrades etc. If you do go there to golf be sure to book your tee times in advance and keep a copy of the confirmation. We found at one of the courses we booked they had no record of our booking and although we still were able to golf we had to miss one day due to a tournament even though we had a confirmed tee time.

The room was clean and the view was gorgeous but we did on more than one occasion have to call down for basic things like soap and hand towels which were not provided. Not a big deal but it does get a little annoying when it happens more than once.

Room service was prompt and the meals provided good, not great but good.

As far as food goes you have four choices for restaurants. Breakfast is buffet style in the Alamo room and has just about every item you could want and we found service here to be five star every day. I would be remiss if I did not mention Sheila the hostess and Rudulfo the waiter whom both provided outstanding and friendly service.

As we golfed each day we only ate lunch once here and it too was very good.

At nighttime, the Alamo turns into a Mexican restaurant and quite honestly could easily be called fine dining. My hat is off to the chefs here. The Mexican food was well presented and very tasty. The same could be said of the Italian restaurant Tratto. The food here was also
top notch and in both of these restaurants the managers could be seen overseeing the service and even helping out when necessary.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same of the steak house or the Asiana restaurant.
When I asked a fellow guest whom we were golfing with how his steak was he stated that he had ordered a rib eye and it was thin, poorly cooked and tough. I cannot agree with all of that assessment. Mine was cooked properly, it was however, thin and tough. The filets are much better in the Mexican and Italian restaurants.

The meal we had at Asiana tasted pretty much like a frozen Chinese dish that had been microwaved and while that may seem harsh it is none the less the truth.

Service in the restaurants ranged from fantastic (Sara comes to mind in Trattos) to not so great when we were delivered a meal we did not order and told by the waitress that we must be mistaken. I have made many mistakes in my life but I generally know what I order in restaurants. Outside of this one incident service was generally good. I guess what is missing is consistency. One night the service is perfect and the next night you may be eating your meal before someone asks if you would like a glass of wine with it.

As far as the bar service goes it was consistent, friendly and prompt and we had no issue with the quality of the beverages served.

The beach at Sun Palace is very nice and we enjoyed walking it each day.

So to sum things up, I would say that if the food quality and service were a bit more consistent than this could easily be a five star resort but at the moment it not quite up the the standards of the Royal in Playa del Carmen or a Secrets resort. It still is however a nice place to spend a couple of weeks.

4  Thank Premium_10

Thank you very much for posting your thoughts on this forum.

I do indeed apologize for the inconsistencies you found in our service and will use your comments to better our services for everyone's convenience.

Please receive my regards,

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our second visit to a Palace Resort in Mexico. Our first experience was in 2004 at the Moon Palace. This hotel has grown a lot since we were there 9 years ago, as we found out on an excursion to swim with the Dolphins (more on this later). The Sun Palace has two major things going for it that beats its big sister Moon Palace hands down....its an adults only resort, and it actually has a white sand beach with beautiful water that even has waves!
Having spent time at several other Rivera Maya resorts, we realized that there is a lot to be desired about most of the beaches. Cancun proper has more clear water and waves, and just actual beach. But Sun Palace is perched at the very beginning of the huge strip, so far removed from the Cancun Smarm and really lovely as the beach curves to the right in an invitingly private kind of way.
The room was beautiful. But honestly, for the most part these all inclusives in Mexico offer some pretty outstanding accomodations. This room was particularly comfy. The bed was very nice and the touch of aromatherapy in the room was a welcome addition. As were the pillows that had some perfect scents for relaxation....we chose Chamomile. Hmmmm....zzzz.....
The sound of the rolling ocean was a wonderful way to fall asleep and wake up to in the morning. There was an odd wind tunnel that formed when we opened the door to the balcony, that seemed to bring tornado strength winds to the room door. It was a bit eery, but not annoying.
Our room was always cleaned up on time, and left perfect. It is one of the cleanest resorts I have ever experienced.
The food was better than some, and certainly ample. Breakfast is a huge array of choices. Everything is fresh and appealing. There are healthy choices too. Its a winner. Lunch, we aren't big lunchers, but the fresh fish and meat is available for grilling, nice to put on a salad...just pick what you want...fresh salmon, calamari, steak? They will grill it up while you watch. Pretty cool.
Service in all the restaurants was great. In fact all the staff was amazingly nice and helpful....except...and I hate to say this. The bartenders at the Pool Bar (this is the activity pool I am talling about). They were bad bartenders. They couldn't make decent drinks most of the time and were rude. The rest of the bars and servers were great.
The pools. Well there really is just one pool. The activity pool. It is so cool because it is an infinity style, which looks over the ocean. A little windy at times, but really pretty. The other "pools" are tiny, and lose sun (atleast this time of year) pretty early.
Resort credits are useful, but be careful. I suggest to keep track. We used ours mostly for good bottles of wine. Be prepared to pay the tax on these separately. No biggie. The Spa treatments can be used with credits. We did that and only had a moderate upcharge for a longer massage. The massage was cookie cutter, but I'll take it.
We did one "tour" or excursion. It was to swim with the Dolphins. The experience was unforgettable. We were informed that the bus would take us to Moon Palace in the morning and we would be back by 2. What actually happened, was that the bus picked us up, went all the way down to Le Blanc (15 minutes) and picked up other guests, then back (15 minutes), then took us to Wet and Wild! Right? Whats Wet and Wild? It where you go if you are a drunk early twenty something or if you have kids. We fit into neither of those categories. Yet, we had to spend an hour at this attraction, get back on the bus and finally reach Moon Palace. Ok. no biggie again. Once there, the Dolphins, well what can we say? It was a really great experience and the location was great because the dolphins weren't in a pool, they are in the ocean, in closed in areas, and you get to be with them inreal ocean water and then they jump out of the water and put on a great show before you leave. Its amazing. However....on the way back we get dropped off again at Wet and Wild! We are ready to go back to our relaxing beach chairs, and are told we will be picked up at 5 pm! This is like 1 pm...so no way Jose. We and some other guests opted to take the public bus back. Just buyer beware, thats all I'm sayin.
If you are a romance minded couple you will love this place. It is quiet but not morgue like. It is private and there are lots of chairs and a helpful staff to make you feel very welcome. FYI, we did the photo session and it really was fun and came out great. You can use Resort Credits, but hey, go for the session, and buy just the CD with all pics. Then when you get home you can do what you want with them...go for it in cash, do not waste Resort Credits you can use for wine...they actually have decent ones that are proper vintages too.
All in all, I loved this trip and would recommend it to anyone, except people with kids. :)

Room Tip: All Concierge Level Rooms face the ocean...go for that.
6  Thank Nancy46648
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

You are quite the romantic person..from your title on. Exactly what Sun Palace is meant for.

I enjoyed reading your very complete review-even those things that were negative experiences (which I will look into)- because as a true follower of the heart you sort of take notice but not consider them as important as to disrupt your enjoyment. This is a very special talent.

Thank you so much for your kind words and amiable disposition. Guests like you are the ones that keep my resort in public favor and my staff happy to work here. This means a lot.

Best regards,