“Wonderful staff.”

Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
New hampshire
“Wonderful staff.”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed one week at Sun Palace and one week at Beach Palace and liked them both. I liked being able to eat at the other Palace Resorts if we wanted to. (not available at Le Blanc).
Sun Palace is located at the south end of the hotel zone it's away from most shops and restaurants but it's so easy to take the bus it's not an issue. Beach Palace is north of the midway point closer to shopping.
The beach, lots of room on the beach at both resorts, although narrower from the water to the hotel at Sun Palace and more room at the northern hotels like Beach Palace. Everyone gets a lounge chair and umbrella if you want and they will set it up for you. The beach is divided into class areas, the high rollers elite section, the concierge class and then the rest of the people staying at the hotel. Better chairs and service in the upper classes. I found the beach hard to walk on as the sand is a ground coral and wouldn't pack down unless you walked on the wet sand at the water’s edge. And because the sun was just so hot during the day we couldn't last very long without shade.
Food and drinks, overall I would rate the all inclusive very good in this category.
Drinks were whatever you wanted and as much as you wanted. The room had 4 bottles in the mini bar and they even swapped out vodka for coconut rum when we requested it. For breakfast there was one buffet restaurant that had enough choices to keep us interested for the whole week. I would rate Sun Palace better for breakfast. Lunch was similar to breakfast but we ate there less because we tended to be out doing things during the day. Dinner had a few choices like Asian, steak house, Italian and Mexican. We tried them all and found the one we preferred but they were all very good. For Dinner I would give the edge to Beach Palace for the service. It felt more like a 5 star resort but I was still very happy with Sun Palace.
My RCI trade didn’t get me the best room view but the interior and amenities were fine.

A few tips;
1 Don't change all your money to pesos, everyone will accept US dollars and most will give you a good exchange rate. Have pesos for the street vendors and anyone who wants to give you a 10 to 1 exchange rate rather than 13 to 1 for example.
2 Day trips like Tulum, Xel Ha or snorkeling will most likely take all day. Meet at 7:30, get started at 8:30, spend an hour or two on a bus, do your excursion, another 2 hours on the bus and get back at 6pm. It's a long day at the mercy of some tour company. Lots of tipping too. I’m not saying don’t go, just be ready for the reality of it.
3 Take newer US bills; some people won't take ripped or very old bills. Take smaller bills for tipping and giving exact change when you buy something. There's no arguing with a street vender that gives you $18 change in pesos at a bad exchange rate.
4 Sun screen costs about $20 for a decent bottle of biodegradable. If you plan to do any snorkeling or diving on the reefs you need to use biodegradable sun screen. Plan ahead and take some from home.
5 One thing about Mexico, no one enforces any rules or laws unless it means the tourist pays more.
6 The busses along the hotel zone are easy to use. $8.50 pesos (about 80cents) or $1 US. Some drivers will even give you a few pesos change for your $1. There are lots of stops and lots of buses each one trying to get to the end of the race track first.
It could be 1000 feet between stops and they will get the bus up to 60mph between stops.
7 We always felt safe in the Hotel Zone. There is no end to the people wanting to sell you something or get you in their shop. Just smile and say no thanks. They’re just trying to make a living.
8 Beware the Timeshare salesmen. They will trap you for hours.

Room Tip: Upgrade to beach view when you can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank John C
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Excellent comparison between similar properties in our chain! Thank you.

Palace Resorts is a small private resort corporation which is doing its damndest to grow. You will find our quality standard at all our properties, though each one of them has its own market niche..totally contingent on our clients' preferences. From almost 3000 rooms at Moon Palace to 62 at isla Mujeres Palace. Family vacation ? Stay at the Beach Palace. Need rest from the kids or looking for couples' solitude? Stay at the Sun Palace. Want to try something in the Mayan Riviera? Choose Playacar Palace. And Cozumel...for snorkeling or diving. Posh? Le Blanc.

Got carried away..sorry. I love my company and I adore my guests.

With my best sentiments,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,763)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 31, 2013

In order to give you reference, here are the other Cancun / Riviera Maya resorts at which I have stayed...like my rating system? You get the point

Sun Palace - loved loved
The Royal Cancun - loved loved
Excellence Riviera Maya - loved +
Fiesta Americana Condesa - loved
Moon Palace - liked++
Riu Caribe - served its purpose, but would never go back

If I were to go back to an adults all inclusive, it would be a tough call between the Royal Cancun and Sun Palace, but I believe Sun Palace would edge out.

The value of Sun Palace is unbelievable. The Hotel, although showing wear in some of the furnishings, is kept immaculately. They obviously take so much pride in cleanliness, which speaks volumes.

THE RESORT: some say this is more of a "hotel" than resort, but whichever it is, I loved it. It is definitely on the smaller side - 252 rooms & suites, 4 restaurants, 3 pools (2 very small). There is little to no greenery on the grounds, which bothered me a little. It does probably help keep the price a little more reasonable. There are stunning ocean views where ever you turn. I love that aspect. You are so close to the water that you almost feel like you are one a ship

THE FOOD. was very good, but not amazing. That is fine with me, because I was able to find many things that I enjoyed and they were very accommodating whenever I asked for something that was not out. The guacamole was OUTSTANDING and that is the most important thing to me when i go to Mexico. The steak "restaurant" was really just tables put out by the pool with a steak menu. The steak was very tough, but we just moved on and ordered a cheeseburger in the room. I am sure if I had said something, they would have replaced the steak again and again, but I am afraid it was just not very good beef. The grilled chicken sandwich at the pool grill was seriously one of the best I have ever had. I know that sounds simple, but I cannot tell you how easy it is to dry out / undercook/ overcook chicken and it was great to have something relatively healthy that was chargrilled so perfectly.

THE ROOM: we were in room 529 (concierge)and the view was amazing. One thing I loved about this hotel, is it looks like almost all of the rooms have great views. There were a couple with rooftop view, but you should know this when you book your room. When they say ocean view, they mean it and it is what other resorts will charge you an upgrade and call "ocean front". We upgraded from a Junior Suite Ocean View to Concierge using Resort credits. We didn't use much of the Concierge services, but enjoyed the upgraded products, room service choices and just knowing that the concierge was right down the hall.

POOLS: the pictures say it all!!! Absolutely gorgeous. You can stay in the pool and feel like you are right on the ocean. PERFECT temperature. I cannot stress this enough, it you go during winter months. When they say heated pool, Sun Palace means it. I have been whe they are supposed to be heated and they were still very cold. We went to another resort to look at it and they said the pools were heated and they were FREEZING. Sun Palaces pool was cool enough to cool you off, but comfortable for the time of year. You don't have to stress too much about finding a good chair, because most are good. One problem is the sun goes behind the building early afternoon, so you have to move with it. Again no biggie!!

SERVICE: wonderful wonderful wonderful. I always tip because I feel that hard work should be rewarded over and above your standard wage, but never did I feel that I would be ignored if I didn't have money with me to tip. At the buffet in the morning there was always someone there to see if I needed help carrying my plate to my table and they were not necessarily my server. They were not necessarily getting a tip from me. I had a maid stop me in the hallway to ask if I needed anything for my room. HOW NICE. This is the type of service that deserves tips. That is what is great about all inclusive. You tip for extraordinary service, and you will find it is a pleasure tipping here. The only negative service I had was at check-in and that IS NOT a great place to have poor service. The woman helping us acted as if we were putting her out when we asked to use Resort credits for an upgrade.the looks she gave me were as if she didn't understand what I was asking. I am pretty sure this is the most requested use of Resort Credits (maybe shemis justmannoyed with that) I have to believe she was just having an off day, because everyone was so great that I am sure there would be someone who would be happy to take her job. They seem to get the best of the best. Let's just say she was not feeling well!!

RESORT CREDITS: just read the fine print. These are not actual $ for $ credits for everything, but can certainly be used to add a lot of fun and value to you vacation. You have to Pay 11% tax on any amount. My upgrade was 240 credits, so I owed $23.28. (Not sure how that's 11%,but whatever). It was $268.00 to upgrade when I booked my trip!! Great deal. Pictures were interesting. The sign said something like 540 resort credits or $129 uuuuhhhh huh? Not exactly 1:1, but not bad if you are looking for a way to use your credits and want professional pics. You would pay around $60, which isn't too bad I guess. Using $100 credit towards sunglasses is a SCAM. Some Oakleys that my husband wants were $310 and he said...um those are $180 everywhere else, so even with the $100, you would be paying $30 too much and you have to pay 11% of the $100 "credit". Just be smart and don't think of it as money you are owed. Think of it as added value to your vacation, if you so choose.

If you are considering Sun Palace, do it!

Having stayed at The Royal Cancun in a corner suite, I would return to Sun Palace for the shear Service. It made our vacation. We were waivering between the two when we booked. it was $300 more per person for the Royal. SO SO GLAD we chose Sun. The food is better at The Royal, but not $600 better. We were only there for 5 days, so the proximity to the airport was nice also.

Room Tip: I would book the lowest level ocean view and then use resort credits to upgrade, if available. Some...
7 Thank Allison T
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
You are one of the beautiful people we have the privilige to host. What a wonderful way of living life you have! You are very thoughtful in you description, write it from a very up-beat point of view and yet do mention some things that you weren't totally comfortable with but you make it very clear that the central issue of going on vacation is enjoyment and by no means did you let anything divert you from spending quality time.

I always read my guests' reviews completely and take full notice of what can be improved. That is my job as well as my staff's. We are always interested in receiving your complete opinion-it would be stupid to assume that we are perfect..not by a long shot-. But also, we live from the satisfaction of our clients. So getting five points makes our day!

A kind comment is always the best way to say the goods and the bads and ellicits an immediate and voluntary action.

Thank you so much for a very detailed review and more importantly: Thank you for being you.

With warmest thoughts,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sun Palace one week after Christmas. Since it was peak season, we expected the hotel to be packed, but it was not! We took a long walk along the beach for parasailing, and we could see other hotels' beach area which was so crowed! We for sure had the best time in Cancun, already planning our return trip to Sun Palace. We made good use of the resort credits. We upgraded to concierge level, which comes with dinner on the beach (superb and romantic!!), 25 minutes back massage, upgraded room service menu and wine. We enjoyed our couple massage so much. We also used the credits for a day trip to Isla Mujeres, and we pay extra $35 for snorkelling on the island. It was fun, but I expected to see more stuff under the water. Sun Palace did not let us down. Their service was exceptional. If you are looking for a quiet and high-end hotel for a getaway, you should definitely go for Sun Palace. The only thing I would complain about is sleep quality. Their wall is so thin that you can hear whatever was going on in the hallway, but it wasn't that bad because for most of time, people on my floor were quiet. We were on the third floor and the ocean view was breathtaking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kirsty C
Your comments are very kind. Much appreciated.

For its size, Sun Palace has quite a beach, 600 feet long and ca. 75 to 100 wide (depending on tides and weather) so we are never out of space. Many much larger properties would like to have our beach.

About the noise: 2013 is a year of many upgrades in Sun Palace, one of which should be carpeting the guest hallways to minimize the sounds in corridors. Thank you for reminding me to accelerate this.

It is so good to get a five point review which means very happy guests. It is our pleasure and honor to serve you time and time again.

Cordially,
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Loved everything about this place - staff, room, food, service, location all were wonderful! Lot's of ways to just relax and lot's of activities too. The staff bends over backwards to get you whatever you need and they arer very friendly. There were no language issues either. Planning to go back again next year and spend a full week....can't wait!!

Room Tip: Get the ocean view - worth the small fee to upgrade.
4 Thank Lisa M
I always love nice titles that in themselves give assurance of the kind of resort we are.

And yes, the staff is always genuinely accomodating. I liked your comment on no language issues. This is Mexico and our native language is Spanish. I admit that some of our staff are not very proficient in speaking English. So don't expect flawlessness. No matter how they speak your language one thing is certain: They are eager to please. Even if they have to use sign language.

But isn't this part of the fun of travelling? Living with other cultures is one of the most interesting endeavors a person can experience. Travelling is learning, enjoying other ideas and customs.
What is the point of travelling abroad (and oftentimes even within your own country) if you are not receptive to a change in venue ?

Thank you very much for your very kind and factual review. We will be looking forward to your return.

Best wishes,
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Amazing friendly staff, a la carte room service , amazing food, sandy beach, comfortable sun loungers, drinks on demand , beach service, what's not to like ? Amazing holiday with fantastic staff, rooms very big, nothing is too much. I can't wait to go back !

Room Tip: Upgrade to consiege level go on day trip to cihitzen ista
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Bunnymerin
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Sun Palace is on one of the nicest stretches of beach in Cancun. It is a couples only resort which is one of the reasons I chose to stay there. The rooms are nicely appointed with king beds, jacuzzis and a balcony facing the ocean. The staff could not have been more accommodating - at every level they were gracious, helpful and friendly. The food was fair with the Italian restaurant serving the best dinner. We were told that we had reciprocity with the Moon Palace but that was only partially true. Some of the restaurants were not available to us. They also advertised shuttle service between the two properties but that was very limited causing us a two hour wait to get back to our hotel after golfing or a $27 cab ride. The down side is that, at the very southern end of the hotel zone, there is very little to do. There is not shopping, restaurants, clubs or entertainment within walking distance and the entertainment at the Sun was very limited. All in all a relaxing trip but, if you want more going on, try the Beach Palace which is up at the north end of the hotel zone.

1 Thank AprilD21
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our second trip to Sun Palace. We went last year for our honeymoon, and had the most amazing time ever. It was so fantastic, that we scrimped and saved for an entire year to be able to come back one more time. I have to say... if this trip had been our first trip, we would not have returned, and unfortunately Palace resorts has lost me as a customer.
I have to be honest and say that some parts of our vacation were wonderful. The beach, the rooms, the drinks! The service on the beach was amazing (THANK YOU JUSIFF FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL TO US!)
There were a number of things that were different from last year that I found to be disappointing. First off, there was no welcome drink. We did notice later in the week there was champagne etc out for welcome drinks - so I guess they just missed us. But the welcome drink last year was a delicious red cocktail, and I was sad to miss out on that after a looooong flight.
The second thing that was different is the chicken. Last time I had chicken every day, this time I tried it 4 different times and the texture was awful. Mushy, and fish-like... maybe they changed suppliers. Another change was that we had no towel animals from house keeping despite leaving tips. Again not a big deal.. but just something that we had enjoyed before. The food this year left something to be desired. The breakfast buffet is awesome, and the italian restaurant is delicious, the beach quesadillas are awesome, however the rest of the food is not something I would want to have to eat for longer than a week.
Now to the things that were NOT good. The vacation planners.. there were a number of them, two of them were SO UNPLEASANT, and I mean rude pushy, and completely unpleasant. One left out signifigant information about additional costs that would have amounted to over $200 on a tour, and the other trips, he didn't know the answers to half of our questions. (Jesus Manual was wonderful, and once we found him, we only went to him because he was very friendly helpful and knowledgable), but the rudeness we experienced from the other two was so offensive that we would walk around the hotel to avoid them if we wanted to book something. At one point I needed help with something, and the only vacation planner who was available was one of these unpleasant men, and he simply said he couldn't help me (and it was very obvious with his dirty look and avoiding eye contact that he had no interest to help me) and brushed me off to public relations (whom he said would arrive at 8am, and while he watched me sit there for 20 minutes waiting for them, with his smug expression, I finally got up at 8:20 and asked the front desk when public relations arrived, and they told me 9:30, and I REALLY felt that he had done that on purpose because he smirked as I walked past him up to my room after having wasted my time sitting around.. (public relations however was very helpful). Another thing that happened was the lifeguard HE WAS SO RUDE!! He would tell us we weren't allowed to sit in the "regular section" on the beach, (because we had a black bracelet) after we had been sitting there all week (and who wants the "upgraded" section with no sun after noon), or tell us we couldn't have beds on the part of the sand beside where 10 other people were, because that was where the patrol had to go. When we questioned why 10 other people were allowed to be down there he said "because they are crazy" and walked away! Both times we had these unpleasant run-ins with the life guard we asked our beach waiter for help and he was very accomodating and pleasant. I have to say, when you save thousands of dollars for over a year, you do NOT expect to be treated rudely by ANYONE on staff at this hotel, especially when we had such a positive experience last year.
While I would say that atleast 85% of the staff are wonderful (some even spectacular), having that 15% of staff that is awful, really makes for a disappointing experience, when they make you feel bad, or for example that you don't want to get yelled at (by the life guard).
Also we went on the Isla Mujeres trip - fantastic time, great party boat... sadly we ATE at the dolphin discovery and my husband was horribly ill for a full 24 hours... note to self do not eat a hotdog at Isla Mujeres. All in all this was I think our final straw on this vacation, however this was of course NO fault of Sun palace, and their food and drinks are always prepared safely and we have had no issues with any sickness from their chain at all. But this may want to be something they consider if they are sending their customers to have a meal at this place.

To sum it up, we had some amazing days, and some bad days, some great fun, and some rude interactions, some amazing people, and some things we wished were the way they were last year.

We did have a good trip, but I would definitely not work for a year to save, to go back again and have the experience we did this year... which is too bad, both for us and for Sun Palace.

Room Tip: upgrade your room upon arrvial with your credits instead of booking a higher level of room and payin...
3 Thank y d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 175 in Cancun
Isla Mujeres Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!