“RELAX TO THE MAX!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Adults Only. Quiet Areas And fun areas. Friendliest Staff on the planet. As members we knew what to expect and were not disappointed. If you are looking for ultraposh,, try elsewhere.If you want to feel warm and accepted this is the place. All of the workers were attentive and happy to be doing what they were doing. Especially fun is Francisco from Jalisco the pool activities guy. Get to know Vanessa, also at the pool. She will amaze you with her world geographical knowledge. Carlos at the Thai restaurant is a world class waiter.
And my wife found Jesus while at the Sun Palace! That is Jesus the masseur who relieved her shoulder problem and made her stay infinitely more enjoyable.
To sum up, we felt relaxed from the second day on and positively melted by the end of our stay.

Room Tip: They have a seventh and eighth floor. Might have been fun.
3  Thank Debbie E

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We are Elite Members of the Palace Resorts and just returned from the Sun Palace. This is a small resorts for "Adults Only" which we enjoy. The food at the morning buffet in the Alamo was great and Marisol, our server, was terrific. Lunch buffet at the Almo was excellent especially when you could pick your own fresh fish, beef, chicken and cooked to perfection on the grill. Salads were fresh and great variety, desserts delicious. If they didn't have it and you asked for it they brought it to your table. They have 4 different restaurants for dinner. We did not try the Asian one, but did try the Italian which has a dress code. This was our worse meal at the Sun Palace. Service was poor, our waitress couldn't get our order correct, my husbands pork was extra salty and my salmon was over cooked. We didn't even order dessert. The table next to us got dinner rolls, we never did...we received a cheese plate and they never did! Rooms were cleaned bright and early and every room has a great view of the ocean. The bar drinks were good but possibly watered down a bit (?). The food at the cocktail hour was just mediocre but I did enjoy the cocktail hour much better at the Beach Palace Resort. The entertainment was fun and the activity personnel did a great job to get people involved. You could walk the beach for miles. Pools were nice and have a section for quiet only. The Member Services and Vacation Planners were nice, but set up in the lobby with people coming and going, and high ceilings made it very loud and echoing and with a husband that is hard-of-hearing it made it very difficult to hear and understand what they were saying. I had a deluxe manicure and pedicure and was very happy and most relax. My husband had a massage and enjoyed it as well.
The location is a bit out of the way. You have to take a taxi or bus to get to the mall if you want. The bus ride was $1 and ran every 10 minutes. I would return to this resort for sure.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to face the water, but ask to see room before checking in. We enjoy the views from th...
1  Thank OneCraftyRose
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been to quite a few places over the past couple years and by far Sun Palace had the best service. Opening doors, servers, bell men etc etc. Across the board the team at Sun Palace made our stay truly memorable. As a note, we did choose the Concierge option which I think made a huge difference in the quality of our stay (plus the view).

All that before I even get into the property itself. Pristine amenities, gorgeous view and btw some pretty good food. I would highly recommend this for couples looking for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Absolutely go with Concierge.
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my first stay at a Palace resort. Overall I would say that it was an average experience. The restaurant staff, bar staff, and recreational staff were fabulous. The food was lacking at every meal. I was very disappointed on the selection at lunch it was the same everyday and seemed limited with no a la carte option for lunch. We visited the Beach Palace and they pretty much had the same offerings, but it was a more lively resort. I have to agree with the other reviews that the front desk staff needs additional training on customer support. They were overall the most unfriendly employees at the resort.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Barbiegirl0031
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Yes, it earned the final rating point! (See my previous rating on Sun Palace, "Not amazing...But Close," from Oct. 2012)
I will not hash out all the same details...this place has exceeded our expectations, twice! To us, it's the staff that really makes the difference. The attention to detail is on par with some of the best hotels on the planet! We got everything we asked for the whole time. Yes, it's a little older than some places. If you want or expect a brand spanking new hotel, this is not your place. If you want top notch service, good to great food, perfect beach, no kids, and non-drunken spring break atmosphere...this IS your place!

The big difference this time, not a SP issue, was the rough surf this time of year. I spent hours in the ocean in October. This time, not so much. Maybe 20 minutes total! The waves were really big and beach erosion was present (along with huge rocks that must have been buried by sand last time). Still plenty of "layout" area with great service from staff.

I want to take a moment to mention the staff. Everyone has their own opinions and I respect that. However, I was floored by the person that mentioned the Sun Palace staff was handled like a dictatorship (don't remember the exact words?) and felt like staff was being watched like under a microscope! We have spent 6 days there, twice in the last two months, and we never felt like that was going on...ever! Just our take.

Thanks again Mr. Winkler and staff. Can't wait to return...maybe July!

P.S., thanks to the Entertainment Staff! Eddie, Fransisco, Vanessa, and the "New Guy" (Mexican Elvis!) Loved playing volleyball with you all in the pool and on the beach! Tell Fransisco it's Michigan...not Minnesota! Brian/Jeanna from Dallas

Room Tip: See first review Oct. 2012
10  Thank 5150time
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

I couldn't be happier both for you and for me. That extra point I was missing finally happened. Thank you!

When you come to Sun Palace again I think you will be happy with what we are doing in terms of "old". We are really going full tilt with renovations and upkeep (got myself a new engineer who is very proactive).

The beach is back! In some of the previous comments clients asked for "the rocks we put in to be removed" and you so rightly know that they were there to begin with. This being said, it took the beach 10 days to repelentish itself. Amazing! But it always does that...

The comment you mention on the staff by another visitor had me baffled as well...but...

Let me know on the dates you decide to return, please. Guests that come back are our most precious asset. We want to improve everything you have experienced and more.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The hotel does try to be a 4 star resort but falls short. Having visited many of the top all inclusive resorts (Secrets- Iberostar Grand- Cozumel Palace- Adventura Spa Palace- Moon Palace and many other in Mexico Jamaica and Dominican Republic) I feel this resort should be rated as 3.75 stars top.

Check In / Check Out- quick and easy
Resorts Credits- easy to use and redeem (upgraded from Grand Level to Concierge Level, also use for spa treatments)

Housekeeping- the hotel needs improvement here. It seemed that we always had to call for clean towels or to have the room made up.

Food- One meal at the Italian restaurant was great the second was like eating at Applebees. The Thai was good the Mexican was ok. Breakfast and lunch buffet were fine nothing special. Chef’s dinner was wonderful.

Service-The staff is professional and courteous. Mario the manager at the breakfast and lunch buffet did everything he could to make the stay enjoyable. He got us a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, somehow the resort ran out of Cabernet for the 5 days we were there.

Facilities -The hot tub was never hot barely warm, the indoor pool is more of a under shelter pool. The beach is lovely but too rough to swim in. Hotel was well maintained.

Room Tip: Use your resort credits and get and ocean view room.
4  Thank Farmerinparadise

When I have a comment by a senior contributor to Trip Advisor-especially a not very good one- I refer to previous comments to sort of understand what went wrong. I will always vie to satisfy the most demanding customers and well travelled people have the experience to know what they want.

I now think I am clear on the type of issues you personally like and don't. I hope to be given a second chance to prove my point although I understand if from your point of view you might not be so disposed.

I do apologize. Service is my way of life and I am cognizant that you invested your good money and important time into a sojourn that was far from satisfactory.

So. If you are willing to return, please let me know. We will do our best to sharpen your opinion of us.

We will be at your service always.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was our first stay at a Palace Resort (January 2013) and we had a thoroughly enjoyable week!
The Sun Palace staff are truly excellent in every aspect of customer service. The entertainment staff (Francisco, Vanessa, and Raul) is superb at creating opportunities to enjoy a variety of activities such as volleyball, water aerobics, stretching classes on the beach, etc. with lots of fun and humor. Cordero is a fantastic cook at the pool grill (ask for a tuna steak sandwich!). The restaurant staff (Marisol, at the Alamo, was one of our favorite servers) is also wonderful at making certain that guests' dining experiences are most pleasurable.
Food is very good, although, restaurant choices are limited to the Alamo & Oriental Lounge. There is no third restaurant... the Steak House is set up nightly along the outside of the Alamo. The meal portions are somewhat undersized for dinner.
Our room, along with the resort as a whole, is attractive, impeccably clean, and well-maintained.
The Lobby Bar could do without the ping pong table... it is a distraction to an otherwise good, relaxing atmosphere.
Negatives... Palace has a "resorts credit" program that is a scam to get guests to spend more money on site... the staff for this program is set up in the lobby and they can be somewhat pushy at times. We thought it was a shame that these folks were more visible and accessible than the Concierge staff who are often missing from their desks and nowhere to be found.

3  Thank Roland B

Thank you for your comments on our resort.

I see you don't mention "La Tratto" our Italian dinner restaurant. Did you miss it?
Because we are a small hotel we try to offer diverse dining optins which are set up in different parts of the resort: The beach for romantic and concierge dinners and the ballroom for the Chef's dinner.

This year the ping-pong table will definitely leave the lobby bar as we are converting another venue as a "Sports Bar". But remember the table is set only through the day and removed by 6 in the evening.

In general your review is favorable or so I understand it and I am happy we could offer you a good stay. There is indeed always room for improvement and you can rest assured we pursue any and all viable opportunities.

I hope to have the pleasure of your company again, to turn your reviews into 5 instead of 4 points.

With best regards,