“This vacation was like paradise.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #9 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
“This vacation was like paradise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We are time share owners so we enjoy the perks and upgrades. The accomodations are good. We really appreciate the all adult
atmosphere. Cudos to the staff. They really make the difference. Arturo, George, Luis, Thomas,Shelia, Karina. Jose and Jose who kept us happily entertained in the Loby Bar.
Thanks to all.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank msjudithe
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I don't know if many understand what it means to be an owner at the Palaces. As you well mention, there are perks but what I more often find is that by virtue of repeated trips to our resorts you become part of the family. You know where you are going and what to expect. Your expectations are then usually met. You return to a place that feels more like home than just another resort. It is not at all unusual for owners to get warm and sincere hugs, kisses and hearty welcomes from the staff the minute they enter the door. It makes the experience so special! As far as I am concerned, this is priceless and it must be for my guests too, because they keep coming back for more. It is not the edifice, oftentimes not even food and drink...I guess it must be human warmth.

I can't even think of ways to thank you for this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,594)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
McHenry, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This week “Thanksgiving” is to recharge my batteries before the winter sets in, in Chicago. I find a lounger at the quite pool, a book and put my feet up and sit in the shade for a week. I still get sun burned with the water reflection. The adult couples-only concept is a big reason we came to pick this resort the first time, and why we keep coming here. The staff is another big plus for us. They remember our faces as returning customers, and our names after introductions.
The SERVICE is 2nd to none. There must be a SOP of “The Customer is King” here. I never heard the word No in my time here. The words “Is My Pleasure” rolled off there tong’s, and they mean it !!
Every employee had a smile, and a greeting towards me. From the Hotel personal, Maids, Restaurant & Pool Servers, Maintenance Crew to the Life Guard, I did not see one person with their hands in their pockets mulling around or on their smartphone. They all were on a mission to make this property the BEST.
The restaurant’s food had a large selection and was always freshly prepared, from the buffet, grill or menu order. Every selection I had, I enjoyed. I liked some things better than others, but that is personal taste. The Thanksgiving Dinner was over the top. All the things that I would have had back home, and then some. I think that all but a hand full or two of people in the resort didn’t have dinner there that night. A line out the door, for three hours. A great job done by all !!
The Management Team was out and engaging with their customers. At other Resorts that we have been to, we couldn’t find a member of management. Here they seek you out and ask you of your experiences.
This is a Resort that I love. I think that you will love it too.

Room Tip: 8th Floor is SMOKING!! Almost all rooms are water view. Higher is better.
2 Thank nextrace_2000
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
And this place loves you right back and thanks you profusely for the kindness and goodwill you've displayed over the past few years by returning every Thanksgiving and bringing our secret Special Chef.

As you will see, this dinner was an enormous success, mainly because of the love and care bestowed on us by your better half. She is amazing and the staff loves to work with her for this such special ocassion.

I cannot say enough. I wish many more customers were here to enjoy this venue. It was Thanksgiving without the grind of cooking, serving and washing for all our guests. What a better way to enjoy this feast?

Love to both of you,
Grants Pass, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

From the moment you arrive you are greeted and treated like a wonderful guest. We have stayed at the Beach Palace, Cancun Palace & Puerta Vallarta Palace and the Sun Palace holds many wonderful memories. The entertainment is always fun from the Fire dancers, to magicians and mentalist. We love the live music playing during dinner. The food is very good and we could see that this was important to the hotel. Our room and views were beautiful. The entire staff helped to make our vaction a great one. We would recommend the Sun Palace to our friends.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vicki W
Thank you so much for your very kind words.

The satisfaction of our guests is paramount to us. I am thrilled that you found our food good. We have really worked hard at streamlining and perfecting our menus. Being an adults only resort we know that our patrons are counting on a good culinary experience to round their vacation enjoyment.

And, yes, I agree. The rooms are beautiful and with spectacular views. Your recommendations and returns are what keeps us in business.

Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Upon arriving at the resorts transportation service at the airport the pampering begins... Friendly driver. Greeted at the hotel with a chrysanthemum, national flower and a refreshing moist cool towel. At the check in desk we were served fresh water and lemon as the bell men took our bags up to the room. Check in was a breeze, maybe took five minutes.
Our room was on the 8th floor. Views are amazing due to all of the windows. Room was inviting with a great view of both the bay and the ocean. Mini bar stocked and a bottle of wine set out for you.
Restaurants service is exceptional. No one from desk staff to cleaning crew passes you without a genuine smile and an hola! Food at the Italian and Thai restaurants leave something to be desired but I'm from NY so I have experienced some of the best. The Mexican however was top notch!
Use all of your resort credits, we tried and just ran outta time. We use ours on; Explor (awesome), Coba (awesome), jungle tour (awesome), couples massage (a must), dolphin swim(awesome), tequila package, cigar package, jewelry credits & spa product package.
Overall this was our first all inclusive resort and I don't wanna travel any other way. This place is hard to beat!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Tifmarmun
Very engaging title!

Your review leaves me with the feeling that you enjoyed your sojourn fully. That is the gist to our existence. Any guest that leaves our resort satisfied is another beacon that illuminates our way.

Thank you so much for your kind visit and for your very valuable comments.

We hope to see you back in the very near future.

Best regards,
Bainsville, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Sun Palace is very unique as it is for couples only. We make a point of going there at least once a year. You are met at the entrance by the most outgoing staff. They know how to make you feel at home and relax you immediately, they just have that touch .They have a great outdoor restaurant overlooking the ocean where they will grill what ever your request is. You will also find a great Italian restaurant with a very cozy setting.
The rooms we have stated in are great with a super view of the ocean.
You want to decompress and relax we would highly suggest visiting.

Room Tip: we recommend the rooms facing East
2 Thank GinetteRick
I found your line about "decompress and relax" very unique. Have never seen my resort as a "decompressor" but it is a fabulous way of describing what Sun Palace can do for its guests.

Very indebted for your gorgeous description. I hope to be able to always be within your favourites.

Warmest greetings,
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Was suggested this place by a family member for our honeymoon. It went above and beyond our expectations! Incredibly nice and helpful staff around every corner. Also visited the Beach and Moon Palace; and after being at each place only a short time, we realized the couples/adults only part of the Sun Palace made a world of difference to our pleasure with the stay! Would visit again in a heart beat...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jared W
Sun Palace is, even if I say so myself, a tremendous place to honeymoon. We are set up to be unobtrusive, which is what we think most newlyweds want after the hectic days that preceed this grand event.

While being very much in the hotel zone of Cancun, with easy access to most expriences to be had in this part of the world, our couples only atmosphere avails space and time for one another. Yet, at the same time, if your inclination is for fun and games we do provide them constantly.

Many of our honeymooners come back year after year for their anniversary. I hope you will to.

With best wishes,
Westland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just returned from 10 ‘magical’ nights at the Sun Palace. This is our 5th trip so we know the resort well.

Upon arrival at the Cancun airport, we went through immigration and customs without incident, grabbed our luggage - then with no eye contact with the ‘time share sharks,’ we went straight out the door, waited a short bit for the van, rode with another couple and we were off. After a short 20 minute ride our vacation officially began.

As soon as we arrived, it was very obvious the resort had been refreshed. We were concerned because when we were there last year, it was definitely showing signs of wear and tear. Remember, it’s Mexico and the weather is hot all year long and the resort is bound to get worn down by mother nature in this part of the world. It appears Mr. Pablo Winkler (the Sun Palace General Manager) had listened to all of our comments on Trip Advisor and the resort looks fresh and totally welcoming.

We had e-mailed the resort before arriving with a few requests. Marisol Llanos, Guest Services Manager, replied and assured us that our requests would be considered. She was amazing ~ always accessible and more than willing to help us. She is such an asset to this resort and we became fast friends. Pamela is also available and helpful as well. Upon arrival Jamie Ortega, Front Desk Manager, escorted us to the 5th floor concierge level (after we had a few laughs) where he introduced us to Javiar who made our stay perfect from beginning to end.

Our room was on the 5th floor overlooking the quiet pool. We had a full view of the ocean and to the north we could see the hotel zone coast. Our balcony had a double bed lounger with a small table and 2 chairs. We occupied that lounger for hours at night and just looked up at the clear star-studded sky. What a sight!

We never tired of the food (even after 10 days). The buffets are beautifully presented. The breakfast buffet is an attractive array of food and colors. Miriam and Sheila, the hostesses, were so fun. They were quick to learn our names and room number after the first day and would welcome us as soon as the door opened to the restaurant. Every day they would laugh about the earrings I wore and were genuinely happy to see us. Our drink service by Jesus and Ricardo was flawless ~ they soon learned I like 2 mimosas and hubby 2 orange juices with our breakfast.

The pool buffet was very tasty too. How could anyone complain about an offering of grouper, tuna steak, pork chop, chicken, steak for lunch at the pool? And they would deliver it to your lounger if you liked. You also had the option to go to Alamo for lunch for their extensive lunch buffet if you preferred. There were so many different offerings it was hard to encompass everything.

The Thanksgiving Dinner at Alamo was ‘out of this world!’ The entrees offered were ham, prime rib and turkey - and any side dish you could imagine. Chef Turkey Lady from Chicago did an outstanding job. What made it very special was the “receiving line” of all the managers from each restaurant that were ready to greet us when we came through the main door. It was like being at a fancy wedding!

We also had the Romantic Dinner and Concierge Dinner (on the beach) and attended the Chef’s Dinner (in the ballroom). We ate at LaTratto (Italian) twice, the Steak Restaurant (which is set up outside by the quiet pool) and the Oriental, which, by the way, has some of the best Asian food you will find anywhere. We also took a bus to the Hard Rock Hotel, formerly the Cancun Palace, and had dinner at Zen, their incredible hibachi restaurant. We felt all of the meals were prepared to the likes of a 5 star restaurant. Everything was wonderful. (Note: LaTratto is managed by Omar - a very nice, professional, welcoming gentlemen who made our meal even more sensational.)

Our favorite meal was the Chef’s Dinner, Chef Edgar Poot (pronounced “pot”) prepared the food while speaking Spanish and Pablo Winkler, translated in English. Miriam offered wines for each course with an explanation in both Spanish and English. The evening was lovely with many wait staff on hand serving appetizers before the 7 course meal.

The drink service around the pool is top notch. Elfega took care of us like we were a king and queen. Maria was there also with a quick smile, asking if we needed anything. Francisco Franco, Pool Activities, is a fun guy, asking if you wanted to play volley ball or participate in water aerobics. There was no pressure to participate - a simple ‘No Gracias’ would do.

The pool was sparkling. The beach was cleaned every morning. We were happy to see that all the ‘padded’ loungers were at the beach. The ‘sturdy’ loungers were around the pool and shaded Jacuzzi area. While the sand bags are still at the bottom of the stairs leading to the beach, they seemed all even and didn’t offer any problems.

Our room was cleaned about the same time every day and turn down was never missed. Our refrigerator was stocked daily. We left the maid a note for ‘mas naranga por favor’ and it was done.

We both used our credits for spa massages with Lou Lou. She was very professional and asked us if we had any problem areas that needed to be worked on. We would definitely recommend her. (One thing that we found a little odd was that I used both 25 minute massages (50 minutes total at one time) that were included free with our stay. I believed I would get a total body massage, but found out it was only for my back (no arms, neck, legs, nothing - just my back). So that’s what she did - a 50 minute back massage.

While on the subject of the fabulous employees, we do want to mention one thing: tipping. These employees work so hard and tipping them for their hard work is the right and gracious thing to do. We understand that people believe at an all-inclusive tipping is included - it is not! We saw quite a few people not tip and it just broke our hearts. We always budget for tipping and wouldn't dream of not doing it. We believe if we can afford a vacation, we can afford to tip. (We always tip here in the U.S. for dinner, drinks, great service, etc. - so why wouldn’t we while on vacation?)

We spoke to many folks that are return guests. Dave and Trudy (friends and volley ball players every single day) have been returning to this resort for at least 6 years and so many other people we spoke with have returned also. We definitely understand why - everything you could want on a vacation as at the Sun Palace.

I must say we were thrilled with the Sun Palace. If you want top notch service, wonderful accommodations and awesome food, this is your place! We are looking forward to returning next year. If anyone has any specific questions, please feel free to PM me.

Happy and safe travel to everyone!

6 Thank MISharon
I will never get tired of reviews like yours. It is awesome how you remember everything!

Thank you for noticing our efforts in the upkeep of our resort. It is never an easy nor cheap task and always an ongoing job.

I am elated that we were able to enhance your experience. This is worth gold to us! If your patrons say something is ok, then we know we are on the right track.

My kids and I appreciate your mentioning so many of us. It is always a breath of fresh air to know we are part of your memories.

We look forward to your next visit. Guests like you are our pleasure.

With warmest regards,