“Wooow!”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Wanted to get away and spend some time relaxed and calm and not worry too much about too many activities..went there for thanksgiving and stayed a little longer. They gave us a warm welcome with a nice lemonade (we don't drink alcohol), else you'll get champagne, and a flower.
the check in took some time for us..since we had to use the resort credit and were wondering if we had to upgrade the room, so we checked out both the rooms and decided to upgrade - the only reason being we have the view of the blue sea. else the rooms are really well maintained and clean.

Resort Credit :I know a lot of people have given their opinions about using the credits, it's totally up to each couple and their preferences. so go there see for yourself and then decide what to do and not do. keep in mind - you have to pay taxes and most of the time transportation isn't included if you choose an activity and lunch won't be included in the package.
this is what my husband and I thought : Tours - look at other options, it's ok if you have to spend more money ,somehow once you get there you get so many brochures and have so many options of tours and many include transportation and it is relatively cheaper too.
Stay away from the offer that they make you - breakfast on us one hour meeting at hard rock or wherever, bring your credit card and there'll be a raffle to see who wins and winner gets a 2 day free stay on yr next trip etc..they won't tell you it's time share but just be aware and thank God we didn't fall for it..else we would have wasted alooot of our holiday time.

Staff: they are excellent...too good..the service is just soo good by far the best experience I have ever had. I've been to five star luxury hotels for our honey moon in India but nothing of that comes close to how you are being treated here! So yeah!! hats off to the management and the people who work there awesome job! you made our holiday absolutely comfortable and memorable.

I see some real bad ratings and for sure sun palace doesn't deserve a 1 or 2 star..it's real nice!

the people there just keep working so hard to keep the resort looking good and catering to the needs of everyone..the beach is clean and blue and you can just keep gazing at the ocean - your camera wouldn't do justice to what you see with your eyes! absolutely marvelous.

Spa: I never knew there was a steam room and no one told me about it , till I read it somewhere is another's review? I took the aroma therapy and it was wonderful..but just that when it was done I felt so oily....so I just assumed you'd probably have to shower in your own room?

we had the romantic dinner by the beach..it was nice..but I didn't like the food that much..the chicken was soo salty..but that's ok..that was a different experience altogether.
the oriental lounge was good..please try their deserts reall nice. But my husband and I are like big Thai food fans, and it tasted a lot different from the thai food you get here in the usa..so nothing to complain about..

the complementary desserts you get every evening -Wow! yummy :) Oh yes before I forget , some people had problem with the food menus not being changed? I never saw that during our stay..they have a lot of variety and so much on display every day. you can also try the other palace resorts if you'd like to go there for lunch / dinner..

and please note: when you are there just be gentle with your doors. we were there I think toward the end of the third floor and I don't know why the people living next to us had to just bang the doors all the time?!? I mean all the time..it's woken me up a few times at night..that was the only issue at night..
and once your out in the balcony and you've ordered(room service) something - you can't hear them knocking on your door at all....a door bell would be good I guess just a suggestion.

I miss the blue ocean, the genuine smiles on the peoples faces when they say "hola" :) taking back wonderful memories..
Loved it! Thank you!

7  Thank infofromsumi

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Overall this was an excellent place to stay. The staff was amazing. We were there during Thanksgiving and the Thanksgiving meal was fantastic. The resort had a chef come in specificlly for that day and it was awesome.

2  Thank Jammie B
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you want peaceful, quiet and excellent service, the Sun Palace is the place for You!!! We stay at the Sun Palace every Thanksgiving and thoroughly enjoy the service and tranquility of this Hotel!

Great rooms and food plus, a wonderful sandy beach!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Diandavbarnes
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I'll try to keep this short, but it's hard to condense words when there are so many great things to say about Sun Palace!

We decided to use our Palace credits to upgrade to the Concierge level and we were lucky to get the last room available. Our room was beautiful! Everything was king sized from the bed to the jacuzzi (everything we needed for a romantic vacation.) We knew before we left that we wanted to use our credits this way, but so did others and there is no guarantee that you will get it once you arrive because it's a popular option. But honestly, all the rooms have a beautiful ocean view, same bed and jacuzzi, so it wouldn't have been a big deal if this option were not available.

We loved all the restaurants, but The Steak was our favourite! (There is just something about eating outside while the waves crashed against each other that was just perfect.) We liked having room service for dinners and heard there was a special menu just for the Concierge level, but it is very limited (about two appetizers, main courses and deserts per restaurant.)

We spent the majority of our days by the pool because it was lively and had plenty of activities but the beach was definitely impressive! The moment you step on to the beach, someone is there to set your chairs up as far up to the water as possible for maximum sun (I think they set them up this way because the hotel loses the sun at about 3 because it sets in the west.) The beach itself is fantastic and we did take our chances at swimming even with the red flags up. It was really fun to chase the waves but it does get a bit dangerous at times (make sure you are a strong swimmer if you want to go in the ocean, otherwise, stick to the pools.) It is a bit rocky (literally) in the water, but it's still lots of fun!

This is the most important part of my review: it doesn't matter what colour your bracelet was, the staff treated EVERYONE the exact same. I loved that!

Specific staff shout out's to:
-Mauricio on the beach (knew what our drinks were from day 2.)
-Lucinda our maid (very through and pleasant.)
-Arturo from The Steak (very fun and consistently made us feel at home)
-Joaquin from The Alamo (always had a smile on his face and was happy to serve us.)
-Fransisco at the activities pool (you were so much fun and made water volleyball and water aerobics a highlight of our vacation!)

And thanks to all the staff in general for looking like they actually love their job. This was our first stay here and I know it won't be our last!

Room Tip: Our room, 531 was directly over the activities pool so we could hear all the music starting at 10am...
9  Thank sarah_awake
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We arrived in Cancun on November 11, for a 10-day stay, 7 days at the Sun and 3 days at the Beach. This review is for the Sun. Our transportation from the airport, which was included, was very quick with virtually no waiting at the airport. We arrived at the Sun around noon. We had booked and prepaid for a Concierge room rather than attempt to upgrade with the points after we arrived. We assumed that everyone would likely attempt to upgrade with the bonus points and we may not have received a Concierge room. Check in was quick as we were ushered to the third floor Concierge desk and immediately checked into our room, which was ready. We did note during our week that checking in at the front desk appeared also to be very efficient with no line-ups, as the hotel appeared to have many friendly and efficient staff members at the front desk. Our room was huge with a good-sized balcony and the large Jacuzzi and over looked the activity pool. More important it was an oceanfront room in which your balcony is parallel with the ocean and not as some angle to the ocean, which I consider ocean view. The room also had a table and two chairs as well as a ledge/ desk where we placed our computer ipad etc. In addition, we found this desk table arrangement very convenient. As I stated the room was very large with lots of space for suitcases and other items. We also had a very exotic modern looking espresso coffee maker however, we did not use it. I understand we could have selected different pillows but the ones on the bed were fine. We had a choice to use room service including additional selections from the resorts dinner restaurants but did not use this option. Teresa arranged a meeting to explain the $1500 resort points, the resort facilities and asked us to attend a presentation. I politely explained to her that we were not interested in any tours (no knock intended to people who like going on tours) as I booked a vacation to stay in a nice resort and enjoy the beach, pools and other amenities. I also told her I have 119 weeks as a Premier member and did need anymore. As for the changes they want to explain to you that might happen to Premier members I said whatever happens will happen. Next time I book Palace resorts I am sure I will be advised what resorts I can stay at and any other new rules. I respected her understanding of our position and she did not bother us with time-share presentations while we were there.

Room: As I stated was large, very nice, and very clean and serviced every day. We had a small issue with the door handle to the balcony, which was fixed immediate. Twice we could not open our in room safe (even though we ensured that we carefully key in the correct number, which we have used many years on our travels). At first I had no idea how this issue would be resolved. Within 5 minutes of contacting the Concierge desk Security arrived with an electronic gadget and opened our safe, Service was incredible fast and efficient. Of course we had to sign some form for the Security people but at least I now know what happens if your safe will not open. Rooms have nice large showers and view from your balcony or room, with your window drapes open, is awesome.

Pools: We spent most of our time at the activity pool as it receives the most sun. Good chairs are always available. We prefer warmer water but the pool water temperature was acceptable to us. In addition, there is a covered pool near the activity pool in which the water seemed warmer and which we utilized. As it is near the Spa I asked a Spa person if that pool is heated, she said yes but had no other particulars or details. The service around the pool is great. Personnel come by so often to ask you if they can bring you anything that you feel you should tip them even when you do not want anything.

Main Bar: The bar personnel were fantastic. They would often make special shot drinks for people sitting at the bar without even asking they would just set them before you, explain what the drink contained and ask you if you wanted to try it. It did not take long for them to remember what you drank and how you would like your drinks mixed. Their liquor brands and variety is top notch. They even had Grey Goose Vodka, which they served liberally. A young bartender took us they do not always have it and implied they only had a set number of bottles per day but when we asked for it, they always managed to have some. At the bar and throughout the resort you can also order French Chardonnay which few Resorts stock. There is a lot more I could say but I believe my first comment in this section says it all.

Buffet Restaurant: We especially enjoyed the buffet for breakfast and dinner. The food is very good the service is fantastic and several cook stations will cook numerous meals for you. We had Rodolfo as our waiter most of the time and he was excellent. He quickly figured us out and provided us with friendly efficient service. One day we ordered French chardonnay wine from Rodolfo and we went to the buffet. When we returned to our table, we noticed he was waiting for us and cooling our wine glasses with ice. On our last day we did not notice what section he was serving and ended up in another section, he made it a point to come over when time permitted to say hello and when we informed it was our last day he spent some time talking to us wished us well and hoped we would return. A very nice touch. However, please note that all the staff, from the person that seats you, or cooks for you or serves for you, are all very efficient, polite and provide great service.

Dinner Restaurants: We ate at the Outdoor Steak Restaurant twice, the Italian twice and the Mexican twice and one night we went to the Thai for a sweet and sour late dinner/ snack. My advice is not to order appetizers; all these restaurants bring you special appetizers to taste, many of which are very good. Although they are all fine restaurants we want to note that on our first visit to the Italian, we has some 5 different people serving us something at our table. The second time we went we were seated at a premium location in one of two tables in a special small section, which extends directly toward the beach and overlooks the ocean. We found this table to be a very exclusive and an awesome setting.

Spa: As members, we each received a 25-minute massage, pedicure and manicure said to be about $122 value if you booked it with the Spa. These services were very nice and I should note that although tipping is not required apparently acceptable tip should be in the 10% range. My wife also used the $300 Spa credits for a Deep Tissue massage and Facial massage, which she found to be very good. Although over the $300 credits, plus tax, plus tips, it was well worth the money.

Moon Palace: The Sun offers a complimentary bus service twice a day to Moon Palace. We usually go for an afternoon for a change of routine and have lunch there, which we did again this year. It is about a 15-minute ride.

Cancun Palace now Hard Rock: We went one night for supper at the Italian restaurant, which was very good. In case someone is wondering if you can go to that property, you still can. They register you as you walk into Hard Rock. They record your name and your Palace bracelet number. Hark Rock is certainly different from the previous Cancun Palace.

Conclusion: The Sun once again provided excellent service, and all personnel we met appeared to be very interested in your well-being and tried their best to ensure you had a pleasant vacation.

11  Thank j5008
Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our honeymoon trip. We finally had time over Thanksgiving to take a quick honeymoon trip for 5 days, 4 nights. We've never tried an all-inclusive hotel, and it was our first time to Mexico. I was drawn to Sun Palace because it's a couples only hotel, all inclusive - I wanted to relax and not think about any planning, I saw a few infinity pools in the photo gallery. I had done a fair amount of research prior to booking. Most reviews gave great credit to cleanliness and quality of food and service. However, I am surprised in hindsight that nobody made a comment about how we almost fell for something that almost ruined our precious 5 days!! So for those of you who are planning to go in the near future, read on...

We arrived at the hotel just after lunch time. The front desk checked us in and we were told our rooms were getting prepared for a 3pm check in. No surprises here. We were then ushered to the concierge/guest services counter where we were sat down to "plan" our vacation. We were told about the hotel credit. We thought we would have 1500 credit points to use (per booking advertisement and website), only to find out you only get 1500 if you stay 5 nights beyond. So we had 750 credit points. Disappointed but fine. We were told how to use them and that it did not include taxes. Fine as well. Teresa, the guest services person, then went on to say "tomorrow, we have the 26th year celebration of the Palace Resorts at the Moon Palace. You will be able to go there for a welcome breakfast, and they will take you up to see the beautiful suites and you can introduce this to your friends and family. It is a beautiful resort with infinity pools and you can enjoy there". I had read that you could go to their other hotel chains and wouldn't mind seeing one of them. She briefly mentioned the word "presentation" once and we thought it might have been taking us in a group to see one of their rooms after breakfast, which is what she had presented to us. She also said there was a draw for a credit card number where if your last 4 digits match, then we get a free stay at one of their resorts and she gets to go to Vegas. Little did we know that this "presentation" almost ruined our vacation, our bank and our trust for this hotel!! This "presentation" turned out to be a 4 hour scam!! We were naiive and had taken the free taxi ride to the moon palace thinking we were going to have breakfast there. Upon arrival, I asked how long the presentation was. They told me it was 90 minutes....which seemed long. But we were already there and I felt bad for pulling out. We sat down and immediately they asked if we had the credit card numbers that match the 4 digits they took out on a board. No we did not. How silly we were! only to realize that this was probably to confirm we brought our credit card!! We almost missed breakfast because of all these events. We sat down and had one round of breakfast during which a sales rep sat with us and talked. After breakfast, we went to see one of the suites at their new Palace getting finished. To cut the long story short, this was basically to get clients to sign up to become a member of palace resorts. Only to learn that initially the membership they tell you is around $50,000USD!! Then they cut it down lower and lower. They were hard sales. This took us about 2.5 hours already. We went to breakfast at 11am. Now it was about 1.30pm. We said no thank you. Then after the first sales person was done, we wanted to sign out and enjoy the beautiful day outside. But no. They sent THREE more sales people to try to trick us into purchasing some form of membership with incentives and getting you to pre-pay for your vacation with them!! We couldn't get out for another 1.5 hours! Finally, we were able to leave after FOUR hours!! at 3pm!! The sun goes down at 5 and our day was almost over. We had not even enjoyed any part of our vacation. This is completely unacceptable. Do not fall for this trick! This is definitely not a way to welcome your guests for the first time. We felt tricked, tired of saying no, we felt pressured, stressed and unhappy. We almost fell for it and took money out of our wallets! My husband then later googled the Palace "presentation". I'm not going to make any remarks here but you can read for yourself what people say once they become members. We stayed at the Moon Palace for about 2 hours or so at the beach by which time we were both tired and put off. Needless to say did not enjoy the rest of the day and could not plan on trips for the following days.

Other downsides (like it has not been enough for a honeymoon!) - they make the credit system very wishy washy. We thought we would be able to use the points for any of the trips. It turns out that there are better trips but is not included in the points. For example, we wanted to go to Isla Mujeres and snorkel there. There is a day trip that you can go on using your points but does not include any snorkelling or scuba diving. And if you wanted to swim with the dolphins, you would have to pay with cash at Isla Mujeres and could not use your points. You would have to take a separate day trip. Thanks, but we just wasted a whole day listening to your "presentation" that we did not have time to book and plan ahead of time!

I was interested in using the steam and sauna rooms. I asked the front desk and also a guest service person if I use it on a day I do not have a spa appointment. I was told twice no, you can only use the sauna/steam rooms if you have a treatment booked. So on the day I did book our spa appointments, I asked to do this. I was then told that you can actually use it anytime, it doesn't have to be now, as long as you are a guest. So which is it? I couldn't use it the night before and now I can? I felt I was given false and grey information all the time.

This is really disappointing because I really liked the Sun palace resort itself. The waiters and waitresses were all very friendly, enthusiastic, and work really hard. That was very pleasant, they say hello and smile at you. They ran around and brought you drinks and food, not shy of any service, tip or no tip. The food was not bad for an all inclusive place. We wanted ceviche thinking this is Mexico! But none of that. Tacos were not that great. The fish is good, drinks were decent. No complaints there.

Because we only had time for 1 tour and a couples spa appointment, we had tonnes of points left. We upgraded our wines on one night, and the rest we had to use. With this, we got Mexican tequilla for 100 points, Mexican cigars for 100 points, and 100 points off silverware in the store. Keep in mind that it's all 100 points off here and there and you pay for the difference and additional taxes. We felt the points constrained us. In hindsight we might have used the points to upgrade our room, and payed for everything else we wanted to do and be able to choose what we want.

The weather wasn't great for a few days, it was overcast and windy. They are not to blame. The only nice clear blue sky day we really got was our second day which we spent almost the entire time in a cold office, listening to a hard sell session for 4 hours! They try really hard to get any sort of cash out of you, even for $2000 at the end to try to get you to come back and stay again. At this rate, we are not sure we will even come back! Such a shame because it is indeed a beautiful hotel with beautiful infinity pools. If the "presentation" didn't spoil it, I would be back for sure for a get away with the husband, or girlfriends.

12  Thank joeylady
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by resort. I am not sure what we were expecting but right from our arrival all the way to check out, we were impressed by the Sun Palace. The staff were all superior and the food was amazing. I think we both ate our weight while we were there. The beach side waiter and the bar tender that we had for 6 of the 7 days there were both so incredible it's hard to put it into words without sounding cheesy. They were friendly and fun all the while being very efficient. If we travel without the kids again, we are sure to reserve a room here. Thanks for everything!!! We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a beach view. The sunrise is something you have to witness!
4  Thank Jeremy F
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

I always tell my guests that complain about eating too much that they are indeed fortunate.
"Unbeknownst to you, when you check in we weigh you and upon check out we do so again, if you haven't gained at least ten pounds we cannot let you go. You stay and wash dishes forever and ever." (My idea of a joke.)

What definitely isn't a joke is that if you come to Sun Palace, expect to eat well. It is one of life's pleasures and we are happy to offer it in many ways. Also, be prepared for heavy pampering. This is your vaction, enjoy it to the fullest!

Thank you for such a complimentary review. Please let me know when you'll be back so that we prepare to give you our best again.

With my best sentiments,