“Disappointed and Frustrated Resort Credits a Joke and the Concierge Room not worth it.”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Fort Worth
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My Husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Sun Palace in Cancun. 11/05/2012 - 11/09/2012 I will start by saying that the bar and resturant staff are AMAZING they were all very helpful and kind! The food was wonderful and so was our room! Luis at the pool bar was a great bartender.

Now that that has been said I can not begin to descibe my anger and frustration with the "Resort Credit", the Concierge level and the just the whole experience with the company side of the resort.

First of all, we booked and paid for the Concierge level, not knowing at the time the resort credit could be used for this upgrade. My opinion is that this "upgrade" is not worth paying for take your chances and wait til you get there. Not only because I don't think it was worth the money to book it, it is really the only way you can use your resort credits in whole. Upon our arrival we were taken to a private check-in as included in the "upgraded" level. This consisted of us sitting on a bench waiting on another couple booking things for their stay this took about 30 mins. I would have rather gone through the check-in process in the lobby and been in my room. While we were going through our check in another employee came to us and said once we got settled we should then come down to the lobby to go over the resort credits.

My next point after finally getting in to our room we changed clothes went downstairs to the lobby and sat down hoping to start booking things with our resort credit...... BOY WAS I WRONG. We were then told that we had 100 credit here and there in gift shops at the sun palace (only to later find out that only one item in one of the gift shops was eligible for credit use a "tequila package"), 150 in the spa (which was a little more than the amount for a single 50 min massage), 300 for spa products (this too was limited to one package that was 320 credits and were all sample size) , 520 credits on a photo package and photo products, and my favorite was you had 300 credits to spend at the gift shop in Moon Palace (however that was a $60 cab ride away), there were a few excursions and golf that you could use them on. We have been to mexico several times so we had been there done that. So no couple massage unless you wanted to spend 200 bucks extra, nothing in the gift shop. So like I said take the credits and upgrade when you get there it will save you some heartache.

After the girl who explained to us the resort credits saw that we were upset she told us she would give us a free cab ride to Moon Palace, double our Spa credit but only if we went and listened to a hour and half presentation at Moon Palace about their club... We know better we would have wasted an entire day there and there was no way we were joining a club... so NO it was but she continued to offer more and more still the answer was no.

Before leaving this wonderful experience on our first day we asked where we could find the Lomas Travel Rep (we booked on funjet and needed to find out what time we needed to meet the shuttle on our return trip) She stated "Lomas Reps never show up here so you are just going to have to call them to find out" LOVELY. I did find out later they are there just only at certain times during the day and they do come everyday!

My husband and I upset left and went to our room, later I found out he talked to the Concierge about our frustrations and that was that I was bound to have a good time and let it go. We had a great few days until the bill came the last night we were there...

This is when I found out that nothing we had purchased was covered (none of what was and wasnt was addressed in the meeting the first night). I had spent 40 dollars in each gift shop and purchased some pictures they were taking of us on the beach (not the package which I found out was the only way to spend the credits) it was only 110 dollars total but nothing was covered and not one dime was spent out of the credits. This is when we found out you could use them on wine so for dinner we did spend 99 credits on a bottle of wine the taxes were 11 dollars and that particular bottle of wine in the states goes for 18 dollars.

A few other problems I had was the beer in plastic cups, no large drink glasses and the concierge area of the beach was the furthest away from the bar and restrooms. Also I was under the impression that only the upgraded area got beach service staff which was not true the entire beach did...

So to wrap up we always have stayed at the El Dorado Maroma we wanted to try somewhere different and got burned. I would say if you loved this place and thought it is a great deal give the El Dorado Maroma a try and I think you will see what you are missing. However I do believe that had the resort credit never been offered and we chose to go here I would not be nearly upset I would still say that I love the El Dorado and that is where I would go back too but I would not have rated it so poorly.

Hope this saves someone the frustration that we went through.

Room Tip: Book the basic room and upgrade with the resort credit to the Concierge Level is not worth the money...
15 Thank nixjod
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I do apologize. When a guest is so angry at an issue that despite the main services being amazing and very good as per your description, we have failed to provide the complete experience that we'd like for every one of our clients.

Your rating was severe and it is an eye opener for circumstances which have to and will be addressed. I hope that despite your annoyance you might consider giving us a second chance and if you do, it would be my honor to serve you.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,762)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ft. Morgan, CO
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Sun Palace is a great property--well-maintained, nice fine sand beach, great activities at the resort or available as tours. Great variety of tasty food, beautifully presented. Immaculate room with two-person Jacuzzi, stocked refrigerator, large shower with bench, balcony, free phone calls to the U.S., comfortable king-size bed, and many extras.

The attitude of the staff is particularly commendable: not only did they perform their expected duties, but they went out of their way to find ways to serve above and beyond our expectations. Frequently our "thank you" was met with, "It is my pleasure," and you felt that they genuinely did enjoy serving you. We arrived exhausted from a heavy work schedule at home. The staff's attentive pampering soon had us relaxed & rejuvenated. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and plan to return. We couldn't find a single thing to improve. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our 8th floor corner room because it had a view of both the Caribbean beach and the lagoo...
7 Thank Marcia W
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Totally in accordance. I really don't know what makes the beaches of Cancun so attractive in terms of why the sand is so powdery white. But then I'm not a geologist.

Within my answers to my guests you are one of the few who have noticed and written about the calls to North America. It is a feature not many companies can gloat about but it certainly is a plus. No limits, no timing. No huge phone bills.

And you are very observant. The 7th and 8th floors, while not boasting very large balconies offer the greatest views. And if you are lucky enough to get a corner you absolutely have the best of day and night sights.

And, yes of course, the service has been very highly commended.

Come back soon!

With best feelings,
Mahopac, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have been to a number of all inclusive resorts and rate this one as the best all around by far. We went as guests of Palace Resort members so we did have a few perks that we would not have received had we just booked online but even without that the resort still is phenomenal. The staff at every level was always working to pamper you. While every staff member was fantastic in their attention we must say that Samuel who worked on the beach to get your chairs and umbrella for you was incredible. We have never seen an employee work so hard, even with working in the sun all day on sand he never walked but ran up to you as soon as your feet hit the beach and then ran to get your chair and umbrella set up as quickly as possible. As for the beach, we love the beach and ocean and spent our entire trip there. While there are rocks at the entrance to the water they are relatively smooth and we just entered and exited the water around them...there was space. The water was relatively rough two days but we and a lot of others still entered it as you could walk out quite a way and still only have water up to your shoulders. We did go to Beach Palace for a day hearing the beach was better but we found that while it did not have rocks the waves were about the same and the beach frontage was smaller so we felt somewhat crowded there vs. Sun Palace. At Beach Palace we did like the rooftop bar and pool as the view was wonderful. In speaking with a number of other guests we heard that while Moon Palace is larger and offers more in the way of restaurants, stores etc the beach there is not as nice and has considerable seaweed which would rule it out for us. We really enjoyed the fact that we did not have to make reservations for any restaurant and could eat whatever struck our fancy each night. The service in each restaurant was like a five star restaurant and the menus offered all courses as well as numerous choices in each course. The only negative here was that the buffet breakfast and lunch never changed their offerings and the menus did remain the same in the sit down restaurants. Room service was quite enjoyable. We had breakfast in our room twice and it was always delivered exactly on time. We did tip some of the staff a few dollars here and there but we did not find that it impacted the service at all, the service we received before and after any tip was given was alway provided at the same exceptional level. We will return again.

4 Thank Elizabeth G
After reading your very ample review I would dare say Sun Palace is for lovers.
By this I mean lovers of all kinds: Of your travel companion, of nature, of fellow humans...

Simply people that love life and are ready to have a good time anywhere. They know the value of relaxation-so necessary and yet so scarce these days-.

People who are not effaced by the menialities that present themselves at times but those who have given their minds, souls and bodies into the simplistic enjoyment of the life itself.

You can never go wrong!

Thank you for your kind visit and words.

With warmest wishes,
Sioux FAlls
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had such a great time! As people from the midwest, it took a little getting used to the degree that the employees want to make sure you feel comfortable and taken care of. I (a midwest guy) have never enjoyed being pampered before.

Advice for people choosing between Sun and Moon Palace:

Sun palace is relatively small. If you like relaxing and sitting at the beach, this is your place. It was perfect for our honeymoon. However, Moon palace is where we are going next time (yes, it was so good, we are already talking about going back). Moon palace is huge and is going to give us more to do.

Bottom line: If you want to relax and be treated like royalty, go to Sun palace. If you want to have plenty of things to do on your trip, Moon Palace could keep you busy for weeks.

Cons: Beds are a little hard / firm compared to US hotels... Um... That is all I can think of. SERIOUSLY, I don't know what else to say other than you can't really describe the degree of pampering you get from these PROFESSIONALS!

Room Tip: A "concierge" room is worth the extra money.
6 Thank Josh S
If you stay in a Palace it is because you are royalty.

Your description of being pampered brought a smile to my face. Mexico has always been re-known for its warmth, not just climatically speaking but as a matter of national culture. Especially this area of the country where I've had the privilige of living for the past 25 years holds a very personable and generous attitude of its dwellers, passed from generation to generation. It is the mixture of Spanish openess and Mayan hospitality.

So, pampering always included. Warm, real smiles from honest, hard working people who are very proud of showing off their sociability and learning about the peoples that visit us from all around the globe.

Sincerely
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a very nice moderate luxury class property with great service. Great beach, pool, you name it. The service was excellent and leaving a few dollars tip in your room for service was much appreciated and give you a lot of attention to anything you need. We would definitely keep them in mind when we return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tom A
Service is our first name. We have the installation and more important the people that make staying here worthwhile.

I am wondering why you saw us as "moderate luxury". I rather think of my property as modern luxury. But of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

All said, I am left with a feeling that you enjoyed your stay and that is paramount in my book. I hope to have the honor of your repeat visit. We´ll make you a Sun Palace believer yet!

Thank you fro your kind feedback.

Washington, DC
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Overall experience: Fantastic!

We are diamond members of Palace resorts so I do not know if that had something to do with it but right from our private car that came to pick us up at the airport to the room, the private consierge, the service in the restaurants-was great.
Meals:
The breakfast buffet is pretty basic- everything you would expect to find at for breakfast. Lunch was also dependable but a little boring. The buffet did not change day to day not did the beach menu though service on the beach is exceptional.
The evening dinner restaurants are very good with perhaps the Italian place being hands down the best. The second time we went to the Italian place, service was a little slower (not sure why). For many who have gone to all inclusive s, some will only allow you to go to visit each restaurant for dinner once. Not so at palace resorts. You can, if you choose go every night to the same place.
Room:
Our room 519, on the concierge non- smoking level was very good with a large balcony and great views. In fact, after complaining about the soft mattress having given us backaches, our concierge Rosa Mas Xool, changed it with a firm one for us. Rooms were very clean with housekeeping doing an excellent job.
Beach:
The beach is good but do not expect to get in hte water. I am a strong swimmer and I was scared. There are rocks about 3-5 feet from the edge as you enter the water and also , the floor falls steeply to about 5 feet pretty instantly. The waves are also extremely strong as is the wind. I did not see the red flag change for all 7 days we were there. Beach Palace has a much better beach and we did take the 1$ bus there to enjoy the water.
Evening Lobby Bar:
This is a fun place as you can people watch as well as play jenga or chess or ping pong while having a drink. I also learnt blackjack there in a no pressure situation. They also had a magician walk around one evenng, who was very very good.
The best part is that this is a couples resort. Very quiet, peaceful and intimate.

Room Tip: Concierge level on 5th floor have large balconies
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gotham3
Diamond members are a very special kind of guest for us. They are only a few that have attained this stature and yes, all stops are off when we have a Diamond member in the house.

On the ocean issue...Ah! Isn't the Caribbean fun? One day we have the rocks and then two days thereafter they have been covered with sand. I know sometimes it does not correspond with what you have in mind but consider that our beach and those a bit more southerly from where we are are the only ones that did not require artificial sand replenishing after the hurricanes and bad weather stints. As per the University of Yucatan's Oceanologists-who have monitored the beaches for years- this is the most self sufficient beach they've ever seen. So probably by your next visit you will be able to swim galore.

Thank you for your kind words on the resort and the people. Being such an important member of our club it is a special treat to be so well reviewed.

Best personal regards,
Madeira Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2012

A small resort on the quite side of town but only a short bus trip away is all the activity that you would want. Really enjoyed the adult only relaxed life. The very best of service and staff, well more than anyone could ask for. Views are to die for. Top shelf in everything

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Millielinn
Very concise, yet quite encompassing.

In a few words you did a wonderful job of describing our resort. It is very gratifying to have customers whose idea of a vacation is exactly what we offer.

Can't go wrong.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Le Blanc Spa Resort
#10 of 175 in Cancun
Isla Mujeres Palace
Isla Mujeres Palace
#2 of 37 in Isla Mujeres

Been to Sun Palace? Share your experiences!