“Perfect for couples”
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #8 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Idyllic retreat from life with your every need catered for! Perfect bliss from beginning to end, concierge upgrade well worth it, cannot rate highly enough, service ,food, amenities and the beauty spa were all perfect.

Room Tip: Upgrade to concierge level great value
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Kellyd1971
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Hmmm...I could've sworn I already answered. No matter. To be compared to paradise is beyond our expectations.

Short and to the point, your review rocks! Thank you for the kindness of your evaluation and above and beyond, for selcting us to be your hosts from such far away places as Fair Albion.

I hope to have garnered many more of your visits to have the pleasure of serving you many times in the future.

Cordially,

Write a ReviewReviews (6,276)

Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this resort is as good as it gets with one exception only i.e. the Head Chef's direction.

Rating 1-5 (5 is outstanding)
Room standard 5
Location 4
Cleanliness 5
Pool areas 5
Bars 5
Restaurants 5
Drinks 5
Quality of food raw materials 5
Taste of food 1 (basically zero seasoning of every meal we had, italian, steak, breakfast, veggies, etc... Didn't matter) this place needs a new chef!!!!
Beach 5
Water 5
Golf 1 ( most expensive I ever heard of!!! 348 usd for 1 round!!! Outrageous)
Adults only 5
In room minibar 5

Would I go again? YES but they need to fix the chef.

Jörgen

• Stayed: October 2012
7  Thank Jirm65
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

I was very happy with your good words on Sun Palace and at the same time very disturbed with your comments on the Chef-or rather- the food flavor.

Our Executive Chef, Edgar Poot is very well liked by the majority of our guests and he has made a name for himself with his personally attended Chef's Dinners. I don't know if you partook in one. Do not misunderstand me: I am not questoning your comments but I know fo r a fact that the problem does not lie in the head of the kitchen. As we speak, I am having a meeting with him to go over those issues that I believe might have prompted your comment and he will, undoubtedly put his whole effort to correct them.

Thank you for your very valuable input.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at the Sun Palace. We truly enjoyed our stayed. Everybody there was friendly and they felt like friends. We were there for my husband's birthday. This resort is in a good location. Everything was top notch, the service, food and spa. I would highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We had a good room
7  Thank Debbie R
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you so much for a very good review and glowing comments.

We are a very friendly, personal-oriented resort that takes great pride in making long lasting allegiances with its visitors.

I am sure your high praise will be very much taken into account by the many Trip Advisor readers looking for the pleasures of the smaller, more intimate treatment.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Property is okay if you are a member or honeymoon couple as I put to Mr Winkler in a email last week after 48hrs of being there and wanted to leave the property. As a Travel Consultant and I am wanting to look and compare different properties everytime we travel. We do at least two properties in a ten day period so we can experience the options and let our clients know what our opion is.

Arrival to the property was on October 22nd. Check in was good and we recevied the black band. We asked about the different color of wrist bands so we found out ours was because we were a Travel Agent and also for members. Pink for honeymooners, yellow for guest, sliver/white for concierge. Saw all the timeshare personel talking with guest across from the lobby. As we were walking by one of them jumped up and asked for our names. We told them our names and they said that we were not on the list. I told her we were a travel agent and soon as we said that was oh my okay have a good day and just kinda of snub us off. Okay no problem cause I didn't want to have to deal with them all week. After check-in into room which was great but very small balcony was very surprise but move on. Went to find something to eat and look around the property.

Monday we ate at the Steak house which was very good and great service
Entertainment was Elvis Presley show from 9pm to 10pm-this was teribble so unorganized. They were late didn't start until 935pm and was only for about 40mins. Lip sync-no tables just chairs to sit on.

Tuesday-in shower and lost all water in shower, toliet, sinks-all soaped up and didn't know what to do. After ten minutes and five phone calls later was told to come downstairs to talk to customer service said coulnd't that they need to send someone up here cause was naked-they laughed-that got me going-asked to talk to general manager and they said oh no we will send someone up there-another ten minutes later maintence comes stands in shower and said everything fine now-so why everytinme the rest of the week everytime we flushed the toliet the air is rushing in the shower. Wrote email to general manger mr winkler. He called and said due to power outage this is why water didn't work. So why did we have tv and lights still. I just let it go was not going to have them kept blaming it on something else. We left property rest of day and took bus $1 each direction to town-(Sun palace not withing in walking distance of anything) and really enjoyed our time in town-was lots of fun with the markets and entertainment and felt complety safe on the bus. Now we return to the resort and have dinner at the Mexican restaurant-El Alamo-it was okay and bagged the terrible show Anything can happen.

Wednesday my 50th birthday-we celebrated by going out to the ruins all day. Nice lunch in little village but long hot day. Got back to resort and had a nice dinner again in the steak restaurant and went to The Magic show-okay lot better than Monday but was not like Las Vegas show-then was able to release baby sea turtles out to sea-you don't know about this unitl after the show when they announce it. So if you didn't go to show you don't have any idea which is sad they should have signage around the property.

Thursday conversation with Mr Winkler but again felt since I only paid $150 for the six nights as a agent and not the $2000 or so for the six nights or a member we were treated really different. Only towel animals twice during the six nights and no celebration of birthday or 31 years of marriage. Oh they keep in contact with us after the email and speaking to Mr Winkler but felt like it was a burden to them. Did room service for dinner to try out and it was good but did not go the Karaoke shower/Idol night.

Friday-took the transfer to Moon Palace which is about ten minutes away. Loved it and right away felt welcome-they had no idea we were Travel agents-felt so warmed and welcome. So much to do here. The only draw back it was not adults only-but the kids pool was at the very end of one very large pool. It was so nice. During the low season you will not encounter very many children. Went back to the Sun and had dinner at the Italian restaurant-very good food need to dress up a little bit more here. Went to Dance/fire show on the beach and again it was okay much better than the Elvis show but not like vegas.

Saturday-hung around the pool all day-went to room at 5pm and still was not attended too. But this was husband fault since he hit the wrong button but they called us about 510pm and said they were coming to service our room. No problem. we changed real quick and went to the steak house again for dinner and some drinks and did not go to the couple night show since everyone was complaing about it from when the saw it the week before. We went to our room about 915pm-only bed done and very nice second towel arrangement done-but no towels or no restocked mini bar-k that just put my week to the really attiuded and why was this not done? again no explanition could be explained.

So to round it out-if you want very quiet laid back nothing to do all inclusive adult resort here you to. Food-no seafood(lobster, shrimp-Moon Palace even had different shrimps during lunch) and no change in menu at each restuarant. Entertainment-was teribble at night-then during the day-water exercise, pool volleyball, beach volleyball or bingo in the pool-swimup bar no one there service was slow and way to many bees. I will think twice for my clients and explained to them.

We stayed at the brand new Riu prior to check-in at the Sun Palace. Received towel art everynight-restocked mini-bar everynight, towels everynight-wonderful framed picture for the birthday and anniversary and great great service-and change up of menus in all the resturants everyday. Enterainment was wonderful. and it was only $1600 verses the $2000 and was so much happier and the location-which Sun can't help the location-but they could change their menus, and entertainment.

Sorry for long opion.

12  Thank braves87536

I do apologize for not living up to your expectations and for the bad taste this left in your vacation.

We appreciate the time you took to experience our resort and assure you that your comments shall be put to good use.

Thank you for a very detailed description of your stay.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have been to Sun Palace 6 times now and everyone one has been great.
The last week was there was Oct 14th to the 21st 2012 for our 40th wedding anniversary.

We were treated great as usual and all the little extras the Sun Palace did for us was unbelievable. They prepared an anniversary dinner for us that was out of the world.

All of the staff go out of their way to make sure you are being treated like royalty. Nan Quiroz Soto, Karina Sandoval, Roger from the wait staff as well Estella.

I would to also thanks to the resort manager Pablo, great stay. Will be back in May.

Room Tip: Get a concierge room for best views.
5  Thank Jim_DebbieWelch
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

You are infinitely welcome!

I am so glad that we responded to your expectations for this marvelous milestone!

It is our way of saying: Keep coming back. You are lovely people and you will always be special for us.

Thank you again for entrusting us with your special moments.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I normally don't take the time to write a review but I was so impressed with this hotel that commendations are warranted! I have stayed in Cancun and other resorts in Mexico several times and this was the best one I've stayed at! Top notch food, spa, service, drinks etc. They think of everything to make your stay enjoyable and definitely go above and beyond! The service from everyone we encountered was spectacular! I will definitely go back to Sun Palace!

4  Thank Tj J

Am I glad you decided to take the time to review us! We love good reviews!!

Thank you so much for a very explicit and complimentary overview of our resort. The core of the matter being that you enjoyed those precious days getting off the trodden path.

I do very much hope to be your selection again and when you do, please let me know beforehand to give you the best of services.

My best wishes,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We visited Sun Palace October 21 to October 28 for the first time after 7 trips to Aventura Spa Palace and were very happy with our choice. Sun Palace is much smaller yet is big enough to have options and is a good option for those who enjoy (or at least tolerate) the same people every day. Here is a list of Pros/Cons:
Pro: Very nice rooms, well appointed and attended for house-keeping and room-service. The balconies on the Concierge level are huge while those in ‘normal’ rooms are tiny yet seemed to do the trick for those people enjoying them. Our concierge room had a double sun bed on it and this was a nice touch for the late afternoon relaxation naps.
The Italian, Steak and Mexican restaurants were very decent for an all-inclusive and the Lobby Bar was a nice respite from the sun in the afternoons and early evening before dinner. The Lobby Bar has a finger food snack buffet from 5-7 and was not advertised or attended very well but those who did find it seemed to be there every day and found it useful. We did not visit the Thai restaurant but it looked good…
The people who work there were very nice, very helpful and cheerful. As happens at a place like this, we found 5 or 6 waiters, etc that we liked and laid out, ate and drank in their sections every day, tipped about $12 a day and had a great trip. Some others never tipped that we saw and still had great service.
Cons: No fan in the toilet area…and with tile floors and open floor plan it can get loud in there. Some people may find this off-putting and the lobby bathrooms in the morning were always full probably because of this.
No buffet restaurant for dinner. Just a small beef for me but sometimes it would be nice to just grab some food to eat but for a week the 4 full-service restaurants (and room-service) offer a decent option.
And again as always at a resort, the hallways get loud at night with late-night party people returning to their room but you just learn to deal with that. Cons are very limited for me but we did go when there were only 60% of the rooms full.

Room Tip: Concierge rooms have more options and better individual service and better options for special dinne...
4  Thank David D

Your very kind review is most appreciated and most interesting.

You did make a very valid point in signaling out that we don't advertise the snack "happy hour" except in our brochures. I will remedy this.

It is good to know you enjoyed your stay with us. The size of our resort does help a more intimate approach, between guests-many friends are made her- and staff. We do not have thousands of guests to contend with. On the service side it has proven to be a blessing.

I thank you very much for your kind input and hope to meet you in the very near future.