“Sun palace outshines al the rest” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Palace

Sun Palace
Ranked #11 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Bennettsville, South Carolina
“Sun palace outshines al the rest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Sun Palace from April 6th through the 14th. This made our seventh stay at Sun Palace. We will return again on July 9th and stay through the 21st. We are Palace Resort members, and will never stay anywhere else! Mr Pablo Winkler is the resort general manager, and has done a magnificent job in maintaining a first class resort that we now consider our home away from the states. The staff at Sun Palace are hard working, dedicated, extremely friendly, and always...ALWAYS...greet you with an "Hola", and "It's my pleasure", and with the general attitude that the customers are the "Kings and Queens", and what ever they may want, they will get! It is truly an amazing resort!

I want to take time here to refer to as many of the hard working staff as possible, by name, because they do deserve at least this much recognition.

Entertainment staff
Aaron, Vanessa, Franco, Francisco, Samara, Alejandro, and Edel

Wait staff
Roger, Arliene, Efellga, Estrella, Karina, Mario, Hilda, Enrique, Cruz, Arturo, Pablo, Marisol, Jose, Victoria, and Jesus

Bartenders
Raul, Jesus, Carlos, Rene,

Therapists
Florentina, Alicia, and Lulu

Managers/Guest services
Manuela, Pam Oliver, Jamie, Nan Quiroz, and Nancy

Hostesses/Host
Beatrice, Cessna, Yanahi, Miriam and Efrim

I'm sure I have forgotten many of the great staff to mention by name, and for that I apologize.

The service, food, entertainment, room, atmosphere, pools, beach, spa treatments, and assistance with any issues are all 5++++star in my opinion. We were fortunate enough to be able to go to the staff yearly "anniversary" luncheon where the employee and manager of the year were recognized. This was an honor for us and we were very appreciative to be able to see the selected ones get recognized by their peers and managers.

There is one thing at Sun Palace that is new from our last visit there. They now have a chef's dinner where the resort chef, Mr. Edgar Poot, actually prepares each course in front of you and then the servers bring it out for you to try. This was a 5 course dinner and it was truly amazing! Also you will be served a selected wine to accompany each course. The entire dinner was full of fun, atmosphere, and great food.

I'll close by saying that if you are trying to decide where to spend your Cancun vacation.......DO NOT LOOK ANY FARTHER! This place will blow your mind away!! Congratulations again to Mr. Winkler and his very hard working staff for the job you have done and continue to do!

Before I forget......I have to mention, separately from everyone else, a guy by the name of Pedro. He is the fellow that cleans all of the pools, every day, all day! He has to be the hardest working man on the planet!! He actually knew where my wife and I loved to be seated around the activity pool, and would have our chairs set up for us every....EVERY...morning when we arrived there early in the mornings. Pedro, you will be my Amigo for life!

1 Thank cancunaholic10
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
I do have a smile on my face right now. Can you see it?
By virtue of what you write and whom you write about you epithomize the profile of our guests.

Our guests are "people people" who enjoy interaction with others no matter what their stature is: Wether they are guests such as themselves or if they are the people that make their stay agreeable, such as Pedro, the pool guy and so many that you so kindly mention. You simply make our job a pleasure, because you care about us as human beings. A: "Thank you" , a smile or a kind look...these are the highest values you grant us when you accompany us. For we are "people people" as well.

We are thinking of you....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,720)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Sun Palace was the perfect spot to celebrate our 40th anniversary. With the resort credits, we visited ruins, enjoyed 2 romantic dinners on the beach, special wine for dinner, and enjoyed the spa . We highly recommend the hot rock massage. We tried all of the restaurants and favored the outdoor dinner buffet (with meat cooked to order). Each day, we had a late breakfast and missed trying lunch service but instead visited the pool bar for snacks. We didn't order room service but were surprised one evening with a small "Happy Anniversary" cake and bottle of champagne. The sandy beach was great and servers made sure you didn't go thirsty. The room was oceanside and we spent the early evenings on balcony enjoying the view after a day's worth of pampering and relaxation. This was our 2nd visit to a Palace Resort and we are now planning to return next winter to Moon Palace with our family.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WASHTraveler_10
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
The idea of sitting in your balcony after a day of relaxation, sun, food and drinks, looking at dusk. Ah! That is the part of day I enjoy the most. Not only does the body feel at ease but the mind clears (in my case ceases functioning) and you can sometimes have the feeling of being in a pink cloud.

And congratulations on your anniversary! Never a better place to celebrate!

With warmest feelings,
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

My partner and I who are in out late 40’s just returned from a 5 night stay at the Sun Palace. We stayed in a Superior Ocean View room, #602. From the time we were met by the bellman with a cool towel upon arrival to the time we departed, the service of the staff could not have been any better. Everyone actually seemed to enjoy providing excellent service and took pride in their jobs, how refreshing coming from NYC!
The pools were clean and relaxing, and the poolside service was great, drinks and food delivered with a smile! We loved the adults only aspect of the resort, no crying and whining kids to deal with. We met a lot of very nice people staying at the resort, and everyone was enjoying their stay. The food overall was good and plentiful, I think I enjoyed the guacamole at almost every meal! We had a less then great experience in the Italian restaurant, which I believe was due to poor training of staff and no clear organization, which is why I am giving them a 4 star, rather than a 5 star review. Experience in the other restaurants was top notch. We also took advantage of staying at a Palace and had lunch one day at the Beach Palace and breakfast at the Cancun Palace (soon to be a Hard Rock) and enjoyed those too.
This was our first visit to Cancun and we were not sure how we would be treated as a same sex couple. At no time were we ever made to feel uncomfortable or slighted. We found the hotel staff and the people of Cancun to be warm and friendly, even in Downtown Cancun where not too many tourists visit.
Over all we had a great relaxing vacation and highly recommend the Sun Palace for couples of all types and ages looking for a relaxing and pampered vacation. If you are looking for glitz, a rah rah party atmosphere or wild night life you should look elsewhere. We can’t wait to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor have nice big balconies!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Enjoyed your description very much! Especially at the end..you hit it on the head: No rah, rah, bum, bum. Quiet and onobtrusive. Thats what we like to be.

We fortunately have an ample base of repeat customers who know exactly what to expect. I am conscious it may not be for everyone. Only for the people we want and know will enjoy our atmosphere.

Thank you for allowing us the privilige of serving you this time and hopefully, many more times in the future.

Cordially,
Cranford, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a lovely week at the Sun Palace, the place is beautiful, relaxing at the beach, wonderful, we had great meals, excellent service - as usual, this is our fourth time at a Palace resort, the first time at the Sun, if you love the sun and surf this a great place to stay.

4 Thank Barbara C
In a nutshell, you are guests that enjoy our resort.
And our resort enjoys the honor of your visits.
There is nothing more heartwarming that our guests who favor us year after year and sometimes more than once in a year. It is so nice to see you again. I'm sure you find that our staff remembers you and many even have a penchant for remembering your favorites.

It seems this is a very good relationship. Thank you!
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

Very nicely done Sun Palace! Couples/adults only makes a huge difference. Very nice relaxing and romantic atmosphere.

Room: king bed, comfy. Not too hard like other Caribbean hotels I've stayed in. Double whirlpool tub is fantastic. Nice toiletries, l'occitane. Clean. Tip your maid, she works hard. Fridge/bar is nicely stocked. Safe is large enough for laptop and more.

Food: four restaurants, Oriental/Thai, Alamo (Mexican indoors, Steak/Seafood outside), Tratto (Italian). The Tratto is the best, and requires long pants for the men. Definitely do the Chefs dinner, or was it the Concierge dinner? It was fabulous! Best quality tenderloin and chicken we had the whole trip. Also very nice presentation. Upgrade the vino and get the Mayan coffee with dessert. Carmen, the hostess, is great! So sweet and she really treated us well. Carlos was a great waiter. Most every day after sun, we stopped at the Oriental for sushi, which was nicely prepared and seemed fresh.

Beach/Pools: The fact that few are reserving chairs with towels and stuff is great. I have been to other resorts where by the time I get going it can be hard to get a decent place to sit. There were plenty of great spots open, at 10. The beach is beautiful and you can easily get a beached if you are Concierge. They guys will move it wherever you want and give you an umbrella if you want. The service on the beach is the best I have experienced. You can ask for a menu and they will bring you whatever you want and it's pretty good (true at pools too). A couple bucks here and there will get you more frequent service. The pools are clean, but the main pool has a few spots with floor missing, which seems a bit dangerous, especially since that's where they play pool volleyball and water polo. Needs to be fixed for a hotel of this class.

Spa: We used the spa a few times, 25 minute massage, mani/pedi, couples massage. The couples massage was fantastic. Only complaint is that it's tight in space and there is no dressing room. Kind of small and awkward dressing and undressing in "public" just to the side of the large hot tub. Steam room seems too hot.

Drinks: Make sure you use the resort credits to upgrade your wine selection. Just ask for the wine list at dinner. Recommend the Robert Mondavi Private Reserve Cabernet. The Montes Classic is acidity, skip it. They have many tops brands, just make sure to ask for it, or you'll get the cheapo liquor.

The first two days they had many sunbeds in areas near the pools! Which was fabulous, but for some reason, they moved them all to the beach where many went unused????

Overall, the Sun Palace was great. Nice that it's at the south end of the hotel zone, about 15 minutes from airport, and you get dropped off first and picked up last. Bus picks up right out front and for two bucks you can go anywhere.

We will definitely recommend Sun Palace to friends, and we will be back.

Room Tip: Upgrading to concierge is well worth it, especially with the resort credits. Nicer balcony=large wi...
4 Thank Zoohwt
As long as you had a good time we are happy.
Good of you to mention your taste in wines, we are always on the lookout for what our guests prefer.
Somone else asked me about the sunbeds that were moved. To be frank: We had only a few of these on the deck because of their bulk and continuous problems with everyone wanting them. So to make matters simpler and avoid (we even had a fight between guests) complaints, I put each type toghether. Seems to have worked.

It is a pleasure to serve you and we will be looking for your repeat visit.

Best regards,
Marlboro, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We recently stayed in the presidential suite at the Sun Palace Resort in Cancun Mexico. It was my first time experiencing an "adult only" type hotel vacation. The hotel was no more than 15 minutes from the airport. When the driver pulled into this small driveway, I immediately thought we had arrived at the wrong hotel. It looked small and I was immediately nervous thinking "This can't be..." Well looks can be deceiving and boy was I wrong. It was more than I had expected. The hotel was not filled to capacity as I thought it would be because of Spring Break which worked to our benefit. We were catered to, pampered, massaged, fed, entertained and so much more. From 2 daily maid visits, the day started with breakfast. Your choices ranged from eggs prepared to your request to fresh squeezed juices and cappucino. There was nothing left uncooked. Walking out to either to pool or the beach was spectacular. There was not enough the staff could do for you. Beds on the beach with umbrellas in the area of your choice topped off with an ice bucket filled with glasses and bottles water. The bar service never let you have an empty glass at your side with a drink of the day special. Want to relax? Fine. Want to play pool or beach volleyball? Fine. Water aerobics? Fine. No crying children, no fighting children, no sweet and cute children....no children at all! Lunch time everyone....fresh salmon, fresh tuna steaks, salads, hamburgers, fruits, desserts I can go on and on and on... Nightime there was no hassle about making a reservation for dinner, you just show up at the restaurant of your choice at whatever time you like which was nice. You can pick up to 4 restaurants and 1 night was a romantic dinner of surf and turf on the beach. Entertainment was difficult at times for the fact that no one wanted to participate or dance. Karaokee was the biggest night hit. As for the cleanliness, it was spotless. The jacuzzi tub didn't look very inviting and we never used it. The weather was great as was everything else. If you wanted to go into town, it was a cab ride down the street. The hotel has a credit program where you pay up front as a "built-in" cost of your package----TAKE IT! I would have never pampered myself like I did without the credits and my husband even had his first pedicure! Mani's, pedi's, massages, facials, etc......it was extremely delightful and enjoyable. The staff was superb and they were happy to make you happy. I will go back again for sure.

5 Thank Joan P
pwinkler, General Manager at Sun Palace, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Absolutely wonderful review!
I love my kids and now my grandchild...but there is a time and place for everything and couples are very well served to get a respite from the young ones now and then.

Actually, you love them more when you see them again. Don't you agree?

My very best,
King of Prussia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

My husband and I just returned from Sun Palace a few weeks ago. From March 25 through April 1, we had perfect weather with sunny skies and 85 degrees every day. This was our fourth trip to Sun Palace, and seventh to Mexico. Each time we book Sun Palace we ask ourselves if we shouldn't get out of our rut and go somewhere new, and then we say, "why risk it?" What is going to measure up? It's really nice to go to the familiarity of Sun Palace. We love the staff, the boutique hotel feel, and the couples only atmosphere. The rooms are immaculately maintained, no bugs, and feel very secure. The food has actually gotten even better--breakfast is huge, with lots to choose from and anything to order. Our favorite waiters were Jesus and Cruz--Jesus remembered every morning after the first one, exactly what kind of juice, how we took our coffee, and before we even asked for it, it was there on the table. Loved that service! Lunch either by the pool or inside was excellent, with grilled fish, burgers, whatever you want. I am completely addicted to the coconut ice cream, and on this trip it was always there, which made it a constant temptation, but worth every calorie! We enjoyed the restaurants, and never had to wait for dinner. I really wish they had some specials each night in the restaurants, that would help to make the offerings more interesting, and could be rotated weekly. We ate in each restaurant twice....best is Italian, steak was good too, oriental is nice just bring a sweater--we saw several couples leave before dinner because it was breezy, but really we were next to the plexiglass window and it was fine, and the food was good. The mexican dinner was pretty good, but the waitress we had didn't really seem to care too much, and this stood out only because every single other server at every meal was so outstanding. The only negative I have is that I wish the wine were better! The white wine is pretty much undrinkable, although the reds are a little better. Yes, you can purchase upgraded wine, but for example, a bottle of Woodbridge was 75.00 (that's an 8 buck bottle of wine in the states--please!) I can't justify spending 75.00 on that. It would be great if they could get some Austrailian or California wines that are half-decent as house wine options. So I was forced to drink the rum and the tequila...LOL, how we suffered! Overall, what a great week, and of course we will go back to the Sun Palace next year, same time. And I hope we see the same wonderful familiar faces!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Margie W
Your review brought a smile to my face. It is a happy review. You have a very good sense of humor and it shows in your words.

And thusly, you will receive perfection everywhere you go. A good attitude is so important.

Oh. And please: Forget the calorie count when you are here. This is not the dieter's paradise. Au contraire. We will frown on anyone not eating enough.

Warmest regards,