“Wonderful Family Experience”

Iberostar Cancun
Ranked #20 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with excellent restaurants and great staff!! We were a family of nine and all of us enjoyed relaxing on the beach. The guys played golf and went fishing. One family went snorkeling and young girl swan with the dolphins. There are lots of activities for the children and teens and a great spa too!

Room Tip: Ocean View
1  Thank 162gloria
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write so many lovely comments about your stay at our resort.
It is always a pleasure to know that you and your family spent such a wonderful time with us.

We are pleased to know that your stay was enjoyable because our mission is to offer the best experience for each of our guests, and we are thrilled to know that everything went so well.

We look forward to your return!!

Kind regards,
IBEROSTAR Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (4,717)

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar 7/2 thru 7/6. We have been to Cancun several times and enjoyed our stay overall.
I agree with what has been said in almost every review the resturant reservations are not set up well and the air-con in our room never really got cold. I didnt have any trouble with the internet but I really like to "unplug" on my vacations my 19 year old would have died without wifi and she never complained.
The real problem is the towel/ chair problem by the pool. I am not sure if they think their towels are spun with gold or what the deal is but someone took one of our towels at one point and I told the towel person and he told me I quote "its irresponsible to walk away from your towels you will be charged for the one you lost" the way he spoke to me was beyond rude!! I went to the desk and they replaced the towel but still why treat a guest in that manner over a towel? I more than paid for the towel with the thousands I paid to say there. Then the Amstar lady scheduled our airport transfer at the wrong time and my boyfriend missed is transfer and had to pay for a taxi because you are not able to leave the hotel without a towel card. I tried to explain I would bring it down when I left a hour later. I was told he would not be able to leave the resort without returning the card!! what gives? I know it seems stupid because most of the stay was great and most of the people are great there but I wont be back. Its leaves you with a bad feeling when you get treated like a child over a $5.00 towel.

4  Thank jabstair

Dear guest,

On behalf of the IBEROSTAR Cancun Resort and Spa Management and staff, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your detailed review.

We took your feedback to heart and shared it with our team. We are deeply sorry for any dissatisfaction incurred during your stay at our hotel, your comments were referred to our Management to review our standards in order to keep on improving our services. Our main purpose is the full satisfaction of our clients and clearly the service provided by our staff is the key.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the future at any IBEROSTAR resorts in order to change the perception you received and also show you the great service we are capable of offering.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 11 nights in late June/ early July, everything was perfect!

The entertainment team were so friendly did everything to make sure you had a good time.. Especially Enrique, Carlos and Arthuro.

The rooms are slightly dated but are spotless and cleaned every day and mini bar restocked.

The pool and beach area are stunning and couldn't be faulted! The food through out the hotel is excellent including buffer and ala carte restaurants (the Mexican was our least favourite) room service food is also not too great!

Maria in the lobby bar is so friendly and gives the best service by far!

Overall loved the hotel and would love to go back!

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Anna H

Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments about your recent vacations.

We are delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Sunny regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

After a phone call confirming my room with a balcony, Jacuzzi, double beds, and a crib- none of this was honored. I had to wait an hour to get into a room with double beds and a crib installed. No Jacuzzi as promised.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar.com
2  Thank Luis Gerardo D

Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you took to write about your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Cancun. We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service.

We regret any dissatisfaction incurred during your stay at our hotel. Your comments were referred to our Management to review our standards with our staff, in order to work on improving our services. Our main purpose the complete satisfaction of our clients and the service provided by our staff is essential.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to host you again in the future, so that we can change the perception you received this time.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Cancun from 6/26-7/3 with a family of 5 (15,13,10) and my parents. This was our first time in Cancun and at an AI and boy was is really nice!! The lobby was nice and welcoming and check in was quick. We got 2 rooms adjacent to each other with balconies over looking the ocean but not the pools. The morning and evening were best times to be out there as it got hot during the day - as expected. Room was fine and we did not spend much time there anyways - why, your in Cancun! A/C kept room at decent temp and stocked fridge was nice.

I emailed the hotel and was able to get 3 reservations to the specialty restaurants. When we arrived we added another 2. Not sure how/why people have so much issue with this but no problem for us at all. The buffet was full of variety, which did not change much, but the food was fine and the custom omelets were great each morning. All the different juices were cool too - I enjoyed the spinach/celery one everyday. We ate at the steak place 2x and thought it was the best out of the 4. Least favorite was the gourmet but all were nice.

Pool and beach were top notch. I am an early riser so I reserved the same spot every morning by 7:30am by the pool. The walk to the beach was 100 yds and it was refreshing to swim in the ocean. Red flags everyday but we never ventured out too far anyway. Pools were awesome and the main infinity pool was never full or overcrowded. The swim up bar was fab and Joel and crew were quick in getting drinks out to everyone. My wife brought her Kindle and this was her routine...read, swim and drink - repeat every 1 hour :) Star friends had activities from 10-4 and we had fun. They did not pressure you at all to participate. All of them were very friendly and stopped to talked with you. Did win a bottle of Tequila for being a pool game winner!

Cigar bar was cool and Freddy was very knowledgeable. Good selection of smokes and top shelf alcohol too. Good place to relax and chill out.

All the bars were quick in getting drinks to you. Lobby and Cigar bar have the top shelf liquor. We did tip but I did not feel it made a difference in getting drinks faster or being remembered.

A special thank you to Fernando at the front desk. We had a situation that required special attention and he and his staff made sure it was taken care of and followed up each day.

We are interested in staying at other Ibesostar properties but Iberostar Cancun is a recommended place to stay. Relaxing and fun.

Room Tip: Email the hotel a few days before your arrival to arrange the specialty restaurants.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank bkgoh0927

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and feedback. We are very glad to know that we were able to make your work trip pleasurable.
Your comments on your experience with us are very valuable. They help us to give a better service to guests and motivate us to keep striving for excellence.
Please come back soon to visit us; it will be a pleasure to make your next vacation another great memory to remember.
Best regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Iberostar Cancun is the 4th all inclusive hotel in Mexico we have stayed at. 1 was adults only & 3 family. Iberostar Cancun trumps Hard Rock Cancun we stayed at last year on almost every level, but a few quirks/issues will keep us from a return stay.

The hotel is all the pictures portray. It is clean, beautiful and has fabulous staff. We are a family of 5 that stayed 7/2-7/7. We emailed ahead of time for room requests (side by side or adjoining & top floor) they were granted. Beach was beautiful only 1 day was tide a bit too rough. Otherwise my kids (9, 13, 15) loved the ocean. My only complaint would be that all the umbrellas & loungers were located far back & with the dip in the sand to enter it made it difficult to monitor anyone in the ocean from chairs.

Our rooms were clean and well appointed. Our main issue was the air conditioning. It never really got cool in the rooms. One of our rooms need maintenance after condensation from air conditioning unit leaked all over our bathroom floor. Issue was attended to in under 10 min but air still never really cooled. On top of that, the elevators felt like they were 400 degrees!

The service was exceptional, and for the most part the food was amazing. Star Friends were fun, especially Enrique! He even had lunch with us one day which our family enjoyed. We thought it was a nice touch to see the Star Friends dining at lunch with guests.

Now, for our issues. First, the dining reservation system is horrible. Part of what we look for in a all inclusive stay is speciality dining. We like to eat out and dress for dinner. I am thankful for the tips here on Trip Advisor to email ahead for reservations. We did and thankfully got 2 in advance. On our arrival day I was told we could make 1 per day. Well, we were only able to get 1 more in our 5 night stay, and that was for our last night. We checked daily, several times a day and only on 1 other night at last minute did we get lucky. I really felt sorry for the people who didnt book any in advance, that meant buffet for 3 meals a day. Now, while buffet was good, it got old fast and the 1 evening we had dinner their the food was not up to par for the other meals we had there, no variety (same items as lunch) and dry meat, hard bread made for a not enjoyable meal. It is worth noting that as others have pointed out, every time we dined in a specialty restaurant never were they full. We saw many families dressed for dinner only to be sitting in the buffet disappointed.

Our other issue is the internet situation. We read codes were in safe. Not the case anymore. They provide you with codes based on how many people in your party. We were a party of 5, but they only grated us 3 codes. We were told "Adults only". Well they counted our 15 year old as a Adult so she got lucky, but our 13 year old son, not so much. We also could not get on our iPads if we used code on our phones (Codes only worked on device). We inquired about purchasing additional codes and it was $15 a day PER DAY PER DEVICE!!!! And, it was spotty service at best.

I would also comment on the evening shows. We were told at checkin via paperwork they were at 9. But they were not. Star Friends played games with guests starting at 930 and shows started between 945 & 10. It was very warm in theater and I felt like I was watching a production on the Love Boat. We as well as many other guests left midway thru the shows.

If the dining and internet issues were changed, we would happily return. But, for us the dining is a big part of our experience and having to constantly inquire about reservations every day doesnt work for me, especially when you cant get one.

1  Thank MrsDbeachbum
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear guest,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience with us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our service, especially from Enrique from our Entertainment team “Star Friends”. It is nice to hear that you had lunch with him.

On the other hand, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you endured due to the malfunctioning of the air-conditioning system; and for the discomfort provoked by the leak in your bathroom. We are working with our Maintenance team on the thermostat controls to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our guests.

We are sorry about the Wi-Fi connection. We recently introduced a new, better system for all areas of the resort and we work on improving the service.

We are also sorry to read that you had difficulties to make dinner reservations and we understand that your unfulfilled expectations may prevent you from visiting us in the future, but if you consider returning to IBEROSTAR, please contact us in order to give us the opportunity of assisting you with your pre-arrival arrangements and change your perceptions of our resort.

We will take your comments into consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope that you will consider staying with us or any IBEROSTAR worlwide in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Recently got back from the Iberostar Cancun for a 7 night vacation. The resort is beautiful and the staff is top notch. Liliana Carrillo and Fernando Esporza at the guest services desk were some of the best hotel staff I have encountered. If there is any thing you need, definitely ask for them. The check-in was easy and smooth.. We were able to get our room at 12:00, which was nice after a long flight. The lobby and lobby bar are beautiful as are the grounds. The rooms are standard though very well cleaned each day. More like your average hotel room vs that of a 4 star resort room. To be honest, this kind of put us off. The pool is were you get your money at this resort. We had to get up before 7:30 to reserve a spot with shade. By 8:15 most of those were taken. Beach is beautiful, waves a little rough, water bath warm. As for the food; nothing to write home about. The buffet was a little below par with the many other all inclusive resorts that we have been to. Not hard to find something you will eat, but you will never get excited about it. The dinner restaurants were much better. We emailed the hotel ahead of our stay and were able to get reservations to all of the restaurants. Japanese was the best and the steakhouse was probably the least favorite. Overall enjoyed our stay. The staff, the pool and the beach made up for the rooms and buffet.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank John B

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and for choosing IBEROSTAR Cancun.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our beach, pool and facilities. It motivates us to continue offering the best service to our guests.

Please rest assured that we will share your comments with our lovely staff. They will be thrilled to know that they contributed to making your stay so pleasant.

We look forward to seeing you again. Thank you for your trust!

Sunny regards,