“Lovely week in Cancun”

Iberostar Cancun
Ranked #22 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was my first trip to Mexico and I don't think I could have chosen a much better hotel. From the time we arrived at the hotel we were treated exceptionally by all the staff. We had booked 2 adjoining garden view bungalow rooms and they seemed pretty great. The only problems we had with the rooms was our noisy air conditioning which was repaired within 3 hours of me reporting it and a cockroach which was reported in the room however we had to ring up twice to have it removed

After unpacking we went straight to the buffet for dinner. It said in the book in the room that men should wear pants, however in the buffet most of the people were more casually dressed. This was not an issue for me and on the rest of the holiday in the buffet I just wore shorts and shirt/polo shirt. In that heat I feel more comfortable with shorts on anyway.

The food at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner was mostly pretty decent and I can't believe someone could not find a decent meal. As with most foreign countries I always find the deserts pretty bland but thats just my view. They certainly looked tasty.

We booked the steakhouse and the Mexican and found the Mexican pretty poor to be honest, however the steakhouse was excellent. The steaks were great, very tender and cooked to perfection with just the right amount of seasoning. Oh by the way booking the restaurants is very simple compared with many other so called 5 star resorts I've been to where you are to queue at a looted times to stand a chance of booking.

The pool area was also great, having 3 kids we tended to stay near the kiddie pool and that kept 2 of them entertained for most of the holiday. The swim up bar was nice in the main pool and the kids loved that as well. Not that you needed the bar as the girl serving by the pool was very attentive and kept us from being thirsty throughout the day.

The entertainment was ok although we had jet lag for the first few days and found it hard to stay up. One thing I would mention is that the house band play for about 1 1/2hrs after the kids club before the main show starts. This in my opinion was too long and most people wandered off to the lobby bar. Not that the house band were poor it's just that it could be quite boring.

We were there on NYE and the Boogie Nights show was wonderful as was the New Year celebrations, everyone seemed to be enjoying the music and the night in general.

Our 8 year old, Evie loved the kids club, Omar was so polite and came and had a good chat with us one night and Evie loved Paula (sp?) as well.

All in all a great hotel with excellent and attentive staff. I recommend it thouroughly.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Ric R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your comments.

It makes us happy to know you had a wonderful time, the hotel is a family oriented place and one of our main goals is to make our guest feel like home. We are going to keep an eye on details that you pointed out in order to improve our service.

Restaurants offer an extended variety and specialty dinners are another selection for all tastes, at the theater entertainment starts at 8: 00pm for the kid show and after they have the Star Band until the main show starts at 9:30pm. Your comment will be forwarded to our Entertainment Manager for his consideration.

We are glad to know you had a lovely week at Iberostar Cancun during such special holiday season.

We truly hope to see you again soon!

Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (4,818)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from a 5 night/6 day vacation at the Iberostar which now ranks as the best holiday we have taken (others have included Turkey, Spain, UK, California, Arizona and Florida, to name a few destinations). The resort is excellent, and especially the hospitality and diligence of the staff. We were always greeted by friendly smiles and very attentive people all around. We had rooms that didn't have the most scenic of views, so we asked if we could move and have adjoining rooms; the front desk fulfilled both requests within 2 days, after new rooms opened up, despite it being high season and rather hectic.

The food was great quality and an incredible variety. The buffet was well organized and well stocked. The restaurants (reservations required but easy to obtain) had great food: the Japanese, Steakhouse and Gourmet restaurants were nicely themed and the food was top notch. Food and the drinks by the pool and the lobby bar were terrific and always served promptly. The waitstaff at all facilities were extremely friendly and kind.

The pools, activities and beach area are exquisite! The views are stunning and the atmosphere is one that ensures relaxation and a great overall experience with family.

There is no question that we will be returning to Cancun, primarily because of Iberostar, A truly wonderful vacation and experience!!!

4  Thank Said K

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read about how much you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food, services and our staff , we will ensure they are relayed to the team.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another enjoyable stay at Iberostar Cancun.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

This is our last day of a 10 day holiday at this lovely hotel. What can we say other than it is fantastic. Everyone is so friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. From the reception staff, guest services, waiters, bar staff and cleaning lady - too many names to mention.

The hotel is only a short distance from the airport - 15 minutes in a taxi. We have a room on the 9th floor overlooking the pool and the sea. It is lovely waking up in the morning watching the sun rise and listening to the waves crashing on the beach. Our balcony is very small but adequate as we are hardly ever in our room. The hotel is very busy with a mixture of nationalities.

We prefer the beach to the pool and there are plenty of sunbeds for everyone. It is great fun playing in the waves and the sea is so warm. We don't have children with us but there is a themed pool with slides etc. which looks great fun for the little ones.

Food is varied and plentiful. We tried the steak restaurant but prefer the buffet.

The Star Friends work really hard and hold nightly shows in the theatre and organise day time activities should you wish to join in.

New Years Eve daytime and nightime activities were fantastic. All guests could set off a balloon from the pool area at 1pm to the sound of John Lennon's "Imagine". Very emtional and a lovely sight watching all the hundreds of balloons floating away. Excellent gala dinner and show in the evening.

When the weather was dull we would jump the bus from outside the hotel to the R28 market in downtown Cancun. Great place for haggling for souvenirs.

All in all fantastic holiday made all the better by the very friendly Mexican people.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Marg P

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your vacation experience.

We loved to hear that you and your family enjoyed all the hotel activities and the experience with the New Year's Eve activities, we really appreciate to receive this kind of comments. There is nothing that makes us happier than a guest that leaves feeling glad and renewed.

We hope this experience with us is just one of many you will have, we hope to welcome you back soon!!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

The location of the hotel is ideal and the grounds and pools were great and the public areas is very nice. However I was disappointed on several occasions with the rooms. First of all my safe did not work and it took several calls to get a new battery and the refrigerator did not work and the beverages were hot.

Moving on, there were not enough face towels for room and I went to take a shower and the water was brown. On two occasions, there was a smell coming from the toilet that was overwhelming. The bathroom floor was not cleaned because the same dust balls were there when I checked throughout my six day stay.

My son stayed next door and he encountered ants when he checked into his room and had to be moved. It first however, someone showed up with a can of spray. Ants were on the floor and in the bed.

I should point out that the bathtub was very high and difficult to get into. I am 5'9" and my husband is 6'3'' and it was a struggle to step in the tub.

The air condition was not very good either.

There were four special restaurants that required reservations. I along with other guest complained because we could not get reservations. The problem, they were small and had very few servers. Additionally, the food was not good. The buffet was much better.

The rating for this hotel is too high. Perhaps it was great when it was a Hilton.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Dene R

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, every feedback we receive is very valuable for us. It is our most reliable source to locate areas we have to work on, in order to meet our guests' expectations.

We are sorry to know we did not met your expectations in terms of rooms and the food, we really apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We will make sure to review this situation with the staff involved for appropriate follow-up.

We appreciate our guests bringing their concerns to our attention and giving us the opportunity to address them. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

We are staying here right now!
The hotel and general staff are all really nice.
The front desk and administration are rubbish they have so far got everything wrong and take forever to correct things if at all.

This is NO WAY a 5 star resort.
Please do not come here expecting 5 star.

I would say a nice 4 if that.

Its clean. The foods ok however you can get fed up with the buffet after day 3.

The pool and bar etc are lovely and the general staff are polite and friendly.

I have stayed at the iberostar quetzal tucan in playa del carmen which is a 4 star and much prefered it there.

Not all rooms have balconies. If you want a balcony you have to pay extra!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SimGLondon
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for the time you have taken to share with us and all the other users your experience at Iberostar Cancun

We apologize if you had a bad impression from our front desk staff, we will reinforce their customer service to avoid any kind of lack in our service, especially upon arrival. With regards to rooms, we have different categories as Premium Gold, balcony rooms are an upper category, however all our rooms are ocean view.

We would welcome the opportunity to have you once again at our property and show you a renewed service.

Regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We have just arrived back from staying at the above hotel and what a fantastic holiday we have experienced.
I would agree with previous comments that the rooms could be upgraded, but this in no way spoilt our holiday.
Like all resorts we could do as much or as little, and after a few dayswe started to take part in many of the activitiesm which I think certainly helped us mix with other guests from all nationalities.
All the staff were exceptional and really couldn't do enough to make sure you enjoyed your stay here, the ones who were really exceptional were Omar in the entertainment team he is such a fantastic person and couldnt do enough for us(although in fairness everyone was brilliant) the waitresses in the lobby bar, Maria and Christina really looked after us and the banter between us over the holiday was great.
My husband also enjoyed the golfing - although you have to be aware that there are crocodiles on the course, but I think most people liked the fact that they were there and it certainly didn't put him off playing.
The Thomas Cook Rep Laura was also brilliant and also couldnt do enough to assist you. All in all a most enjoyable holiday and I would definately go back.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Dazzle1232014

Dear Guest,

First at all thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun to spend your vacations!! We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable and that we were able to meet your expectations.

It is our main goal to offer the best experience for each one of our guests, and we love to know that during your stay you were very pleased.

Once again thank you for your preference and we will be waiting for your next vacation!!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Family visit to Iberostar Cancun during the Christmas 2013 season was our first visit to a resort in this part of Mexico. First impression was outstanding, with a gorgeous lobby and inviting main bar, lush landscaping, and large outdoor pool. Our receptionist nicely assigned us a room at the top with sweeping views of the area from the ocean view balcony at no extra charge! The room was comfortable but not very large, and the bath area a little tight. But since we spent our time at the pool (ocean was a little too rough for swimming most of the time) or on excursions, it wasn't much of an issue.

As with the other Iberostar resort at which we had stayed, top marks go to the service and to the food. Staff all very friendly, going out of the way to serve you, letting you sit back and enjoy your time. The food at the main buffet was varied, well prepared, plentiful, and gorgeously presented. At the Mexican specialty restaurant the maître'd seated us even though our reservation wasn't listed, and we were blown away by the tacos which reminded me of the delicious street tacos I had tried elsewhere in Mexico.

The two things, however, that made our time at Iberostar Cancun stand out were Santa's arrival and the Grand Buffet on Christmas Eve. Somehow the resort arranged for Santa to arrive by helicopter which landed on the grounds after circling a few times; he then made his way to the pool area and distributed gifts to all kids. The Grand Buffet was incredible, with amazing small dishes, beef, grilled local lobster, and succulent desserts. Unforgettable!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lugan11
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for your comments on tripadvisor, this will be very helpful for our future guests.

It is truly a pleasure for us to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the visit of Santa, that was part of the surprises we wanted to give on Christmas :-)

Also we can see that you enjoyed the tasty food and of course the Mexican restaurant with their amazing variety of food, thank you for your praise.

It is really a honor for us to read that our staff made your stay with us unique; and the most important thing: they always took care of you. The quality service is our main concern.

Please come back soon will be more than a pleasure to host you here in our hotel.