“Absolutely Fascinating!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Calgary, Canada
“Absolutely Fascinating!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

It is not often I would go online and praise about how good of a travelling experience I've had anywhere. Make this one exception. Since I am not the type of guy who can write on and on about an already widely recognized excellent resort, I will keep it as short as possible by putting down bullet points.

Pros:
1. Fabulous Service and GREAT people
2. Excellent Food (Mexican Restaurant & Gourmet are especially good!); booking for the specialty restaurant was a breeze
3. Sensational Beaches and Swimming Pools
4. Five Star for Cleanness
5. Tons to do during the day and awesome shows at night
6. Great Layers for the resort; easy to travel around

Cons(very very minor matter, didn't ruin our time there at all):
1. The AC was not as effective during the daytime, often set at 25+ degrees C; according to the person at guest service, it was for preserving energy during the daytime; and there is apparently a sensor in the room detecting the guest occupancy; didn't think that was the case
2. TV Channels are all(fine, mostly) Spanish Channels!!!

Overall, round of applause for all the people who have provided service to us(Star Friends, Chefs, waiters/waitresses, entertainment crews). We absolutely had a fabulous time there. It was our first time there in Cancun, and certainly won't be our last with Iberostar Cancun Resort! Thank you all for making this a fabulous vacation.

Michael Z

6 Thank Michael Z
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Michael Z,

First of all we want thank you for the time you took to write about your stay at Iberostar Cancun.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and the restaurants were up to your expectations.

It is true we are a "Green Globe” certified hotel, where being energy efficient is one the main goals. However it is true that cooling the rooms when guests are in them could take a little more time. Please rest assured the maintenance department will hear about this review.

Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future.

Saludos,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

I've never written a review before but felt I should let people know how great this hotel is. I had no complaints at all. The hotel and grounds are immaculate, I don't know how anyone can say the pool wasn't clean as the staff would be out there every morning cleaning the pools and grounds. The staff work extremely hard to make guests feel welcome and to keep up the hotels high standards. In terms of the food, there was so much variety you'd always be able to find plenty of options to suit all tastes. The entertainment team were great trying to get everyone involved, but equally didn't pester you if you just wanted to relax! The beach is beautiful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and of any age.
Thank you Iberostar Cancun!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank amanda c
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your review about Iberostar Cancun and most importantly, you lovely words about our service. We are glad to hear that you decided write a comment because of our exceptional staff, service and our facilities.

We are thrilled to hear your recommendation to other travelers! Thank you very much.

We hope welcome you soon among family and friends.

Iberostar Cancun
Melville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Just spent a late November week at the Iberostar Hotel Cancun along with 10 people ranging in age from 9 to 72.
This is an all inclusive hotel with it's own 18 hole golf course & 1000 yards of beautiful white sand beach. Fabulous property, ultra large pool with satellite specialty pools, beautiful lobby, adequate rooms, many activities, large sunny main restaurant for buffet breakfast, lunch & dinners, a few specialty restaurants including a terrific Hibachi restaurant. Alcoholic beverages flowing all day, & never have to wait.
Best of all a large friendly staff from the bottom to the top
We will go again, it's a must for the entire family

Room Tip: Select a room with a balcony, these are very private & secluded, try to face the pool
1 Thank Michael R
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post and share your vacation experience and your impressions of Iberostar Cancun.

It is for us a pleasure to know that you and your family enjoyed the facilities and the services during your stay.

The comments on your experience with us are very valuable because it helps us give a better service to our guests.

We hope see you again on your next vacations and spend with us a special holiday.

Iberostar México
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

The hotel is in a wonderful location on the beachfront in Cancun. We hosted a conference there for 850 people and the team from the Iberostar who supported us with the event were excellent in every area, both pre event and during the event. Nothing was too much trouble and they were always available to assist us. Feedback from our delegates has been very positive, with the only negative comment being the slow wifi connection when all the deleages were in attendance.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank Clare_S939
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments as it is very helpful in our efforts to continuously strive for service excellence. We will work hard to improve the WIFI service.

We truly hope to have you again in the future, please let us know whenever you are coming back to Iberostar Cancun.

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I spent three nights at the Iberostar after having been at the Fiesta Americana Condesa for four nights...you can read that review here on Tripadviser too.....I thought the pictures of the Iberostar didnt do it justice...it is much warmer and nicer looking in person...The photos show a lot of cement, but you dont see or feel that once there....The pool is awesome, soooo Big, I'm not sure it would ever seem crowded....The beach (or sand) is a stone's throw from the main pool, with many palapas to keep you shaded, but the ocean is a bit of a further walk down, which I had some trouble with, but that's just me. The rooms were pretty nice, and all have views of the ocean...Go see that ocean...it is a spectacular color!!! and if you like waves, they gottem...The over all feel of the hotel that I got from looking at photos here on line, was that this was a very large property....but in reality, it is very compact...except for the walk down to the ocean, everything is right there....As for the food....I never got to the Specialty restaurants, didnt have enough time to book them, so we Buffeted it for three nights...They offer a large selection of food, from soup to nuts...it was one of the largest Buffets I have seen in any of the All Inclusives Ive been to, but still I ate chicken every night....I thought the meats were overcooked and dry, and while there was a good selection, I only ate the grilled chicken, which is strange because I Never eat chicken Out....There are several bars spread out on the property, one in the pool, one at the beach, but the one I thought made the best drinks was in the Lobby....So, all in all, I enjoyed my stay at the Iberostar...nice rooms, beautifufl pool, 24 hour room servide (very limited menu)....Maybe if I had just spent my week here, I would have given it a better review, but since I started off at the Condesa, I just liked that better.....

Room Tip: As for a Pool/Ocean view...the pool is beautiful to look out on.
4 Thank Itslyne
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and feedback. We are very glad to know we were able to make your trip a pleasurable stay.

Your comments on your experience with us are very valuable, it helps us give a better service to guests and keep striving for excellence.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you back in our property to spend a whole stay in order to show you the great service we can provide.

Regards,
montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Rooms: Not fancy, but very clean, bed very comfortable, cleaning lady, Ines, was very good, we never had to ask for anything.

Front desk: We arrived at around 7pm. We booked and paid our trip a few days prior. When checking in, Geraldo at the front desk, said we had no reservations. First I must mention, he was not welcoming at all, no smile, no nothing, didnt feel special at all, more like a bother to him. Then came the lying that because theirs no reservation, we could not get the room we requested which was poolview. And this is a good one, theirs only one room available in the whole hotel and that we are lucky to get it. That 95% of the hotel is full. Made us feel that he s doing us a favor, that usually we would not get a room at all with no reservations (we ll sleep on the street instead) Hotel full a complete lie, for the hotel was empty as we came to see the days following and everyone told us that was a lie. So basically he did not want to go out of his way to accomodate us, we had to beg, But with no avail until finally he said maybe in two days you can change rooms. Which we did, but never returned to talked to him. The other reception people were ok but still not the friendliest. The assistant manager was nice, but thats about it.
Service in general: Some had a smile, some didnt especially at the buffet and the bars. But they still did a good job coming around at the lobby or even at the beach or pool area to ask if you wanted a drink. What I found nice is that did not wait around for tips, although we still did tip. But its nice not to be forced. Waiters at the a la carte resto where very nice, maybe they chose the best.

Food: Buffet no problem very good, many choices. Beach restaurant closed. Pool snack bar had only burgers and hot dogs, quite boring but the burgers were good. A la carte: Mexican awful! Gourmet the best! Grill very good! Didnt try japanese only aloud three and need reservations. Heard japanese was ok. Only big negative having the beach resto closed if you were somewhat wet and didnt want to go into the nice buffet with nice chairs you were stuck with hamburgers and hot dogs, not fun. Although some inconsiderate people did go in wet and the chair cushions inside the buffet were wet. Not very respectful.

Beach: Beautiful, turquoise water, no seaweeds, if there was they were up early to clean it. If you like calm waters though, this is not the beach for you, atleast for this time of year. It was wavy everyday, yellow flag. But lifeguard present as of around 9am.

Pools: infinity pool amazing overlooking the beach. most original layout i have ever seen, very beautiful. pool bar great. not freezing water as most pools are. jacuzzi one was working, often had kids in it, not hot just warm. If your a jacuzzi fan this hotel is not for you unless you pay for the spa area.

Overall: I might go back only if the price is good. The hotel overall is great. Only negative is service.

Room Tip: all rooms have ocean view which is the biggest plus at this hotel. but you have a choice to pay extr...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cs1980cs
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to write about your recent stay at Iberostar Cancun.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level of service, especially the attention from some staff. We already passed the comments on to the department managers to discuss the situation. Learning about all our guest experiences is important, in order to identify the areas that we need to improve on.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you again in the future, and change the perception you received this time and show you the great service we are capable of providing.

Best regards,

Hamilton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have been to Cancun 3 times this year, staying at Dreams, and Riu. This time around we were booking a last minute hotel and only had Iberostar left to choose. As for a 4.5* hotel I was quite disappointed. There were more than a few indiscretions that I wouldn't had expected from a 4.5* hotel. Not to mention it is about a $10 cab ride to La Isla, and a $15 cab ride to Coco Bongo

Appearance:

As arriving to the Hotel I was expecting a grand enterance. At First I thought, "oh wow, the building is quite big and the land that it sits on." then realizing there wasn't any other "wows" other than that. The water elements wrapping the building are nice, but not a "wow" factor. At night time it was even worse. I felt like there was nothing "Star" about Iberostar.

Checking in:
We were unfortunately not greeted by anyone until we had reached the Checkin desk. Two employees were chatting away as one other was checking someone else in. It was about 2 minutes before the chatty employees realized we were standing there- then they decided to open a 2nd computer to check us in. We book specifically through an agent to ensure we would get an oceanview room (as we rarely ever end up with one), the agent also added an extra note requesting for a high floor so we would have a better view. The employee barely spoke to us or even asked how our flight was, etc etc. When she gave us our room key she told me I was in room #125. I asked her if my travel agent had requested a higher floor- she replied "yes, that is actually the 4th level because of our high ceilings in the lobby." Hm. Ic. At that point I had already decided that I would not be returning to Iberostar ever again.
The building has 9 levels... and requesting a high floor meant being stranded on the first floor- which was also the 4th floor. (extremely disappointing)

Our Room:
We had the Oceanview room with a balcony. The view was a partial view, and below us was the roof to the restaurant. So I wouldn't say our view was amazing but if I had not paid the price I had paid for the room it was reasonable. But as for the price I had paid- it was ridiculous. The shower had a partial glass wall, that didn't connect to the ceiling of the bathroom. It was impossible to shower without getting water everywhere in the separated room of the shower and toilet. The vanity only had one sink, and the edges nearest to the mirrors against the walls was cracking and had tons of mildew crested on it. (the next day it was gone, as I mentioned it to our maid). We were given two bath robes- which were stiff- but only had two hooks in the shower/toilet room. Guess where we had to hang our wet towels from showering? On the knobs of the closet. The bed was lumpy and had no spring to it at all.

The closet was quite spacious, but it only had 6 hangers.. which is enough said for anyone using a closet. The safe was also located here, levitating off of the wall- which was annoying. If you don't close it, and it hangs open- if someone is gathering something off of your 1 out of 6 hangers- when you turn around you'll most likely bash your head off of the safe's door. (which is worse than a hangover from a night of drinking tequila)

Food:
Food, was the least surprising since I was already so disappointed in the hotel. It was average, if not less. Buffet was the same thing everyday, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The a la cartes were over rated. La Horne was only impressive because of the lobster salad, the lamb was bland, and the Duck L'orange had mandarin tangerines on it. (enough said.). The steak house had crab claws, which was nice- but they weren't sweet (which was due to the season). But when the waiter came to take my order, I asked if I could have a taste of everything on the menu as I love red meat. He said "thats too much food, you can't order that much- only one.".... but yet there was a Salad bar and Appetizer bar buffet style. I was definitely not happy with that. The Japanese restaurant was a failure as well. It was hitbachi, and only two tables were running, but it seemed like the waiters were running on fire- hurrying us to finish our meals, clearing our plates- even making the decisions on our appetizers and dessert without letting us choose from the menu. Yet again I was told I was only aloud to choose one main dish (they had udon noodles, or another main dish besides the one they would cook infront of you). People were also only aloud to choose a maximum of two meat combos. Which was ridiculous because at the end of the show there was so much left over. I asked for a pineapple juice- but was given an orange juice. When I asked why- the waiter simply replied "pineapple juice at the bar, not here. too far for me to go to." (enough said, again.) Lastly. The biggest failure of Iberostar's restaurants, The Mexican Restaurant. It was only open once a week. This is Iberostar Cancun MEXICO.. but yet the Mexican restaurant is only open once a week. (enough said, once again!)

The drinks were average, but what had confused me was that they had Heiniken beer, but only Absolut vodka, or Smiroff (yuck.)

The pool:
The pool was disgusting. It didn't seem like they cleaned at all. They had a huge pool area yes, but the only places you really wanted to be around was the pool around the swim up bar, or the kids area (which was great for families with children). The waiteress' that were suppose to serve you drinks poolside at your sun loungers must had taken the entire week off- because I had only seen one, and when I asked her if I could order a drink she answered me with a "how are you" in Mexican, and walked away.

The entertainment was, and is the BEST part of Iberostar. Their shows at night are a little corny, but none the less it's entertainment. The entertainment team are so warm, funny, and quick to their feet. They were constantly trying to get everyone to join in on all of the hotel's activities. And they seem to always remember who you are. Omar was my favourite. He's got so much sass he's hilarious. He has no problem making you feel comfortable.

As for Iberostar, there is a lot they should work on. and of course, at the end of the day, "to each their own"- I would not recommend this hotel based on my experience, as customer service, food and cleanliness were not up to a 4.5*'s expectations. I would not ever return to this resort.

Room Tip: If you're willing to try it for yourself, be prepared.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melle H
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your comments with us.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the service and food. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. An apology for the lack of attention to your request upon your check in, this is definitely not the service we are proud to display to our guests, please rest assured we have taken the necessary measures to prevent situations like this from happening again. Our aim is the complete satisfaction of our clients and clearly the service provided by our staff is key.

Regarding the food and beverage quality, we already shared it with the departments involved. Thank you for being specific about the areas you did not like, as it helps us identify exactly what we can work on in order to satisfy all our guests.

We have already shared all your comments with all the involved areas to make sure these aspects are reviewed and these inconveniences do not happen again in the future.

We hope you give us the opportunity to host you in the future and change the perception you received on this last trip.

Best regards,